PDA

View Full Version : Orkney Islands

davie
19-May-02, 21:10
Just back from a weekend trip to Orkney with Pentland Ferries Ltd sailing from Gills Bay to St Margarets Hope. Price is £25 for a car and £10 per passenger each way - about half the price from Scrabster to Stromness. The crossing takes just over an hour (only about 15 mins in the tide) so its quite smooth.The boat is 32 years old and a wee bit scruffy but the engines run like a 'moosies watch'. Great grub in Orkney too (local beef and seafood) so Maggie & me will be back at Gills for another trip SOON. Great sight-seeing too - The Churchill Barriers, Italian Chapel, Standing Stones at Stenness, Skara Brae etc. etc. There is also 1 or 2 wee pubs in Kirkwall & Stromness.

donmcleod
19-Dec-02, 04:15
Davie,

What does a 'moosies watch' run like and where did you pick up the phrase as I haven't heard it before?

Don

Kenn
24-Apr-03, 22:20
AW Davie,
Ypu've made me green with envy..last time we were up that service was not running and the Scrabster service would have given us about one hour on Orkney!
Oh well only a few weeks to go and maybe this time we'll get to make the crossing.

Ali
27-Jun-04, 12:32
There are 15 pubs in Kirkwall and 2 nightclubs, Fusion is the best though. Next time spend more time and get the facts right. :D

stixie
06-Jul-04, 16:56
Where is the other night club in Kirkwall?

I live here and am only aware of the one, Fusion.

Ali
06-Jul-04, 23:19
Doh !!!!!

Try Matchmakers !!!!!!!!!!!

stixie
07-Jul-04, 09:03
But matchmakers closed down a while back.

There is only the one now.

Ali
07-Jul-04, 19:51
ok, I left a while back, I thought it was still there.........

So has the bar closed down as well ?

stixie
08-Jul-04, 10:13
At first when Fusion opened, it just stayed open as a bar with the dance area closed off.I think they may still do evening meals/suppers in there so it will probably be a normal pub thing maybe. Not 100% sure though.

It was for lease again now that Dawn Flett has decided not to renew hers so who knows what will happen to it in the future?

EJS
26-Jul-04, 11:29
All this talk of food and nightclubs but where should we stay if we want a more traditional overnight stop in Orkney??? Anyone got any suggestions of reasonable priced accommodation??

Thanks

imamackay
19-May-05, 14:25
All this talk of food and nightclubs but where should we stay if we want a more traditional overnight stop in Orkney??? Anyone got any suggestions of reasonable priced accommodation??

Thanks

The Ayre Hotel in Orkney is great and it is just beside the nightclub and has fantastic food (A caithness man running the restaurant), and the bar is great fun, everyone is really friendly and have a great time in there!! :D