PDA

View Full Version : fees for home economics

booze snooze
12-Sep-12, 08:10
I recieved the first letter saying quite clearly that there was going to be a fee to help pay for ingredients to use in home ec classes this i agreed with what i strongly disagreed was that fact that if you recieved free school meals you didnt have to pay WHY ?????????? i am fed up with all the free loaders getting everything handed to them !! second letter it was all a mistake .I still think it a good idea but for all the pupils or an even better idea get the pupils to bring in there own ingredients then it wont matter whether you get free school meals you would still have to provide your ingredients:roll:

Wiseowl
13-Sep-12, 12:17
Definately a case of back-tracking once they realised the controversy which would follow..

*Martin*
13-Sep-12, 13:37
Yeah your right, punish a kid because his/her parent(s) out of work/paid buttons!

I am fed up with all the people on high horses assuming everyone out of work are "free loaders". Here's hoping they never fall on hard times.

Duncansby
13-Sep-12, 14:14
Took the words out of my mouth Martin! It's depressing that there seems to be so little understanding and compassion towards others these days. I blame the internet...it's much easier for people to spread their poison to a wider audience. I still would like to believe that the majority of people do not judge others by whatever circumstances they find themselves in and treat others as they would like to be treated themselves.

squidge
13-Sep-12, 14:26
The internet reflects the fact that the government is actively demonising those on benefits so that they can reduce those benefits and the wider population rubs their hands with glee - its disgusting.

Tilly Teckel
13-Sep-12, 16:59
I know when I was at school (waaaay back when...) you had to take your own ingredients for Home Ec. (in a lovely wicker basket which we had to buy especially for the purpose) and my family were nowhere near well-off. My Dad worked but, as Martin pointed out, was paid a pittance. However, we had to make do and I never went without for a Home Ec. lesson. I was amazed that when my son chose Home Ec. as a Standard Grade option he had the ingredients provided by the school, although he has pointed out that they never use meat or anything too expensive.

Personally I believe the parents should provide the ingredients but those on a low wage should get help with the costs.

booze snooze
13-Sep-12, 19:13
yes agreed all the pupils in home ec class could provide there ingredients :roll:

starfish
13-Sep-12, 19:23
as several people have pointed out you do not have to be out of work to get free school meals low income comes in to account , some people take pride that they go to work but need a bit of help to make up their salary to a amount they can just live on, yet the employer is living a good life earn by his poorly paid work force . perhaps the op is one of the latter or lucky enough to have a well paid job in that case they are very lucky

*Martin*
13-Sep-12, 20:01
yes agreed all the pupils in home ec class could provide there ingredients

Why stop there? Why don't you buy your kids textbooks? Wood for tech studies? Guitar strings for music? :roll:

I'm glad some people on here have some common sense!

Rheghead
13-Sep-12, 20:12
Should the school provide the uniform, gym and sports kit?

linnie612
13-Sep-12, 20:19
I recieved the first letter saying quite clearly that there was going to be a fee to help pay for ingredients to use in home ec classes this i agreed with what i strongly disagreed was that fact that if you recieved free school meals you didnt have to pay WHY ?????????? i am fed up with all the free loaders getting everything handed to them !! second letter it was all a mistake .I still think it a good idea but for all the pupils or an even better idea get the pupils to bring in there own ingredients then it wont matter whether you get free school meals you would still have to provide your ingredients:roll:

Do you live in the real world, or a fantasy one where there is full, well paid employment? Your thread seems to be no more than yet another ill-disguised go at the unemployed/lowly paid.

Moira
13-Sep-12, 20:22

Absolutely! Along with a Schonell Spelling Book and some teaching of basic grammar. Tutoring in the use of commas and full stops etc. could be provided at extra cost. ;)

Duncansby
13-Sep-12, 20:38

hell, while we're at it lets take away free education!

For those in doubt, that was sarcasm. ;)

cptdodger
13-Sep-12, 20:51
My daughter kept my grandson off school just before the summer holidays, as his school ( in England) wanted £30 for him to go on a day trip. At that point my daughter could not afford the money for the trip. As a result of keeping him off school that day, the school tried to fine her £50. She was not keeping him away from school because she could not be bothered to take him, she just could not afford to let him go on that trip (The school withdrew the fine). Both my daughter and her partner work, she works part time to fit in with school hours, and her partner is a self employed taxi driver, so basically money for them can be very tight. As for school uniforms, yes, I think children should wear a regulated uniform so they are the same. What I do not agree with, and I am not sure whether they do this in Scotland or not, but schools in England make you buy their uniform from either the school itself or one shop that sells their uniform, the cost can run into the hundreds. That, I do not agree with.

Dadie
13-Sep-12, 20:54
I remember in tech having to pay for materials for the final piece if it went over the allotted amount....my pride of piece table went over budget....
As for paying for ingredients, if it means the recipes are better quality and more balanced why not?
A small fee of £1 per person should get enough ingredients for a balanced meal for each child....and if the classes are timed well they wont need lunch money!

Actually, those with low income can get a clothing grant.....
But I suppose that will create another debate!

booze snooze
14-Sep-12, 07:20
I pay for my childrens music classes also, and yes the guitar thats what parents do,provide !!

Corrie 3
14-Sep-12, 10:10
I pay for my childrens music classes also, and yes the guitar thats what parents do,provide !!
And if you lost your income tomorrow what would you do then?

C3.......:roll:

Thumper
14-Sep-12, 11:47

Oh wow you must be the luckiest person in the world ever....have you never fallen on hard times? Lucky you cos you are in the minority! How dare you accuse people of being scroungers just because they cant afford to pay for ingredients!Ok so its "just a pound" yip thats fine,but that pound can buy a loaf of bread and a tin of beans that can feed 4 people when needs be,not just a tiny little sample of cooking that more often that not goes wrong! One thing I cannot stand is people belittling others just because they cant find a job,sheesh have you seen the state of the economy lately? Wise up and stop belittling people!x

rob murray
14-Sep-12, 12:52
Good to see strong support for the poor amongst us all : Perhaps the more "fortunate" and anti poor brigade should keep their opinions to themselves, after all the entire caithness economy is on a knife edge....what will redundant UKAEA workers and their families face...where's the jobs ? What will youngsters growing up face, wheres the jobs...will the nut cases / show offs / Im alright jack,s still belittle the poor...my call is yes, because there is an element of behaviour in some people where they cant resist kicking people when they are down !!!

*Martin*
14-Sep-12, 13:36

No, you are paying for your childs extra curricular activities. I'm asking you why you don't pay for their textbooks, guitar strings (for music class) and wood for technical class.

rob murray
14-Sep-12, 13:45
No, you are paying for your childs extra curricular activities. I'm asking you why you don't pay for their textbooks, guitar strings (for music class) and wood for technical class.

Presumably because they havent been asked ( yet )

booze snooze
14-Sep-12, 14:08
[QUOTE=rob murray;976303]Presumably because they havent been asked ( yet )
I would have no problem with that ,education gives them a good start in life and i am more than happy to provide for my children .

rob murray
14-Sep-12, 14:11
I would have no problem with that ,education gives them a good start in life and i am more than happy to provide for my children .

Education gives a good start in life....whats that got to do with providing for your children ? Everyone provides for their children, those that knowingly dont, face the legal system

Duncansby
14-Sep-12, 14:14

You are missing the point! As others have stated some families aren't in a position to provide as much as others through no fault of their own. By promoting inequality through what can be provided through the education system you are perpetuating inequality by denying all children access to the same opportunities. At the end of the day it's children we are talking about here and we as a society have a duty to ensure that all of our children are given the opportunity to meet their potential!

rob murray
14-Sep-12, 14:18
You are missing the point! As others have stated some families aren't in a position to provide as much as others through no fault of their own. By promoting inequality through what can be provided through the education system you are perpetuating inequality by denying all children access to the same opportunities. At the end of the day it's children we are talking about here and we as a society have a duty to ensure that all of our children are given the opportunity to meet their potential!

Your in the majority on this thread Duncansby,the point isnt being missed, its being ignored !

*Martin*
14-Sep-12, 14:28

The only thing stopping you for paying for these things is yourself. Why don't you donate the cost of textbooks, guitar strings and wood to your childs School?

cptdodger
14-Sep-12, 14:29

And if this is the superior attitude you teach your child/children, I feel sorry for the kids in their class/es that are quite clearly not as affluent as they are. You can throw all the music lessons, guitars, text books and so on, as much as you like at your kids, if you are that materialistic, but at least I know my grandson is very much loved and cared for, and if my daughter cannot afford to send him on a day trip, so be it. She is clearly not as well off as you are, however, that has not affected my grandson's education.

Thumper
14-Sep-12, 14:29
I cannot believe in this day and age that there is still such snobbery! What next....will you want us to send our kids down chimneys to make a living and pay for their economics class? Sorry to "label" but its people like you that brings up kids to look down on those less fortunate,and that kids then bully kids at school for not having the in trainers,the best uniform,the newest coat....so IMO thats worse than thinking people asks to not be able to afford things! There but for the grace of god and all that......think before you speak and label people,I am sure you will not like me labelling you!x

Gronnuck
14-Sep-12, 14:41
Unfortunately snobbery in its many form still exists to day. But people in work, whatever their attitude, whatever their economic situation is, should remember that there is every chance that they are less than a month from economic disaster. They should take a moment to think about what they would do if they lost their job tomorrow or through injury could not work. Mortgage? Payments for the car? Electricity and gas? House and contents insurances? Food and clothing?
It's a scary thought

starfish
14-Sep-12, 14:46
good education i agree with but on the other hand , i heard two young girls talking both had gone to uni as were told you get a goo. d education 1 had train to be a teacher the other a nurse both left uni with a debt and now are un employed they even tried to get a job a tesco . This is a sad signs of the times , so you can not blame everyone for being out of work and if the goverment want us olddies to work long , the up and coming youngster will not have the expericence to work and learn a skill so what will happen to the country then.

midi2304
14-Sep-12, 14:50

And those who earn far less than you do not understand the importance of education and don't want to provide for their children? What a disgusting viewpoint to maintain.

rob murray
14-Sep-12, 14:57
[QUOTE=booze snooze;976308]

And those who earn far less than you do not understand the importance of education and don't want to provide for their children? What a disgusting viewpoint to maintain.

Dont presuppose that booze snooze is a high earner, the poster could well be at the wind up !!!

Duncansby
14-Sep-12, 15:06
[QUOTE=booze snooze;976308]

Exactly. I remember being furious when someone that had gone through the public school system implied they'd had a superiour education to me! I had a great education at WHS and was taught by some excellent and talented teachers. I went on to gain an MA in History from Edinburgh University and as I pointed out to her (and I am slightly ashamed I threw this in her face but she deserved it) she got a drama degree from Hull. But at the end of the day it matters little what route you take to employment. For instance, how many talented engineers has this county produced that have got where they are through apprenticeships at Dounreay? The main point is that everyone should be afforded the same opportunity to train and learn for whatever it is they want to do with their lives.

cat
14-Sep-12, 17:20
I had to pay for my son doing music in wick high. when he picked it as a subject for 3rd and 4th year there was no mention of having to pay. I think it was just a few months before his exam I had to pay and after studying it for nearly 2 years I didnt want him to miss out so close to the exam so i paid, cant remember how much it was but it was in the hundreds. this was just this year!

Ballymore
14-Sep-12, 17:59
Within the hour of receiving that "home ec letter" I put £21 in an envelope for my son to take to school the next day without blinking an eye - the schools I went to you had to bring in your own ingredients. The letter did say: "you have to pay and those with free school meals didn't". The following letter from the Rector was a fumbled apology - let's hope this is the first and last time a letter from the Wick High has not been proof read before he signs it! Have to mention that the food my son has brought home from his Home ec classes have been yummy!

booze snooze
14-Sep-12, 19:58
[QUOTE=booze snooze;976371]never ever said i was a high earner ,i have always worked with a saturday job then full time employment and provide for my children who have never bullied any child ,they have been brought up to know right from wrong and very much loved so who is assuming now ?????????

Rheghead
14-Sep-12, 20:45
People are moaning about paying a few quid on their own child at school but spare a moment for the public spirited teachers who spend a ridiculous proportion of their own money on school equipment for other people's kids to use in order to give them a better education and also to improve their school's profile within their community.

booze snooze
14-Sep-12, 21:15
well said couldnt agree more !

squidge
15-Sep-12, 08:04
Teachers and plenty of parents on Parents councils, school boards and fund raising groups. Many parents also give their time and their knowledge to help out with extra stuff like french lessons, cycling proficiency and football at my sons school.

Thumper
15-Sep-12, 11:58
[QUOTE=booze snooze;976371]never ever said i was a high earner ,i have always worked with a saturday job then full time employment and provide for my children who have never bullied any child ,they have been brought up to know right from wrong and very much loved so who is assuming now ?????????

thats exactly my point.........you assume people are scrounging,when maybe they have no choice! I get paid and still get help with meals etc,but I chose not to apply for it,and pay for my kids myself,also pay for music tuition,all comes out of my wage and "benefit" but it is very hard at times to make ends meet,the more I have to pay out for school things,the less I have to spend on my kids at home,am I not complaining about it,I just get annoyed at people who think they are above others because they have a job x

Rheghead
15-Sep-12, 16:42
Teachers and plenty of parents on Parents councils, school boards and fund raising groups. Many parents also give their time and their knowledge to help out with extra stuff like french lessons, cycling proficiency and football at my sons school.

Yes, teachers there as parents on parent and teacher boards even if they work at the same school.

poppett
15-Sep-12, 17:46
Thanks for the memory of the basket TT. Mine was second hand from an auntie in 1967. It was in daily use right up until 2008 when it was stolen at a boot sale.

secrets in symmetry
15-Sep-12, 17:52
Absolutely! Along with a Schonell Spelling Book and some teaching of basic grammar. Tutoring in the use of commas and full stops etc. could be provided at extra cost. ;)Indeed, yes!

That's the first time I've seen a "." after the word "etc" for a long, long time! :cool:

This thread is almost illegible due to bad English and misuse of the forum's quote facility....