PDA

View Full Version : breastfeeding?

brandy
08-Dec-06, 00:45
have been reading a lot about it recently.. for obvious reasons! *grins*
was appalled though.. to find out that there are so many people that still look down upon it.
read a story where a shop keeper threw a bucket of dirty water on a mother and baby for breastfeeding in his cafe.. and even though the police were called no charges were filed!
i would have thought that was assault! *grrrr*
anyway..
i just cant get my mind around what the big deal is?
there are so many benifits to the baby and mom.. that it just seems silly why anyone would look down on it!
saw a wonderful site online.. about breastmilk donation!!
its where you can express and give milk to the s.c.b.u. units for sick babies.. that despratley need it.. you have to have blood tests dna tests and what not done.. but wow.. its a great thing!
maybe its because its late.. i cant sleep and the sleep dep. is starting to make me feel a little wonky.. but whats you folks opinion on the subject above? *Grins*

wifie
08-Dec-06, 01:00
No doubt about it Breast is Best. Fed my wee ones like this for one year each. Wasn't too keen about doing it in public but if I had to I had to. Places to go when out are getting better - good job, who wants to eat their dinner in a toilet? If any friends are having babies and they ask what I think I always tell them that breast feeding your baby is one of the best things you will ever do!

canuck
08-Dec-06, 01:01
Brandy, of course you are right. But you are supposed to be resting, not worrying about these things.

I pass on to you only the wisdom that was bestowed on me. But I will admit it never worked in my case. I never achieved it, never relaxed and took it easy. I always worried and thought up these same kinds of things. So good luck. And try to keep cool when all that "you are supposed to be resting" advise is given.

Metalattakk
08-Dec-06, 04:59
Who on earth wants some squawkan' bairn ruining their nice cup o' tea an' a scone in a nice peaceful cafe, never mind it's mither whappin' the pap oot while the're at it too?

These people seem to want to ride roughshod over everyone and anyone's feelings just so they can get their own way, to me. By all means challenge the way people think and react, but when people find it uncomfortable to witness such behaviour, at least have the common decency to be discreet.

Breast-feeding is inherently good, in fact I would almost suggest it should be mandatory, but some of us certainly don't want to be forced to witness it.

henry20
08-Dec-06, 09:00
Any time I have seen anyone breastfeeding, it has always been discreetly! If you didn't know otherwise, you would just think they were cradling their child. I'd rather see a content happy baby being breast fed than a hungry crying baby having to go without for fear of people being offended.

Or should mothers have to stay at home incase their baby gets hungry in a public place? :roll:

garycs
08-Dec-06, 11:09
Breastfeeding is a beautiful and completely natural act; and by far the best way of keeping a baby happy, if some folk find it distasteful they should look elsewhere.

Personally I will continue my policy of walking out of establishments which insist mothers do not breastfeed (or do it in the toilets), I leave payment only for the food/drink I've consumed along with my address if they wish to contact the police. This does not just include friends or family but any woman and child who is being victimised in this way.

mums angels
08-Dec-06, 11:21
I tried breastfeeding my two eldest but first would not take to it and when blood sugar dropped we put her on bottle, son had reflux and was feeding constantly and then threw it all up and i was bleeding the whole time so then expressed milk for 8 weeks for him. Third I never even attempted to feed him myself and as much as i beleive breastfeeding is good for your baby i really don't believe it made any difference to my children...got to say my third is much more content than the other two ever were..they had exzema and always got ill but third never had anything wrong with him.

I think there is nothing wrong with people breastfeeding in public, its a natural thing and i've had freinds that have been told to leave places because they were feeding. However there are some women(my sister in-law mainly) that are not discreet about it and i honestly don't think there is one person that knows her that hasn't seen her breasts. Feed in public but be discreet i think is the best way to go about it.

emszxr
08-Dec-06, 12:13
i breastfed my first for 7 months and am currently breastfeeding my 5 month old and hope to til she is about a year. i love being able to give my baby the best i possibly can. i feed my baby where ever i have to, discreetly of course, i have no problems with feeding in public. i have even been told, its lovely to see a baby being breastfed by an older mum.
i really think more mums should try and do it. too many think the bottle is easier, i dont think it is, all that sterilising and the cost.
and some mums wont do it cause they are worried about sagging breasts. i think thats terrible. ok my body aint what is was before kids, but i am proud that i managed to carry 2 healthy beautiful babies and so i am proud of my baby belly and stretch marks.
breast is best, there is nothing better, why do some mums want to give there kids second best, apart for medical reasons.

angela5
08-Dec-06, 12:23
am currently breastfeeding my 5 month old and hope to til she is about a year.

Don't they have TEETH by the time they are 1 year old.:lol:

angela5
08-Dec-06, 12:25
Nothing wrong with breast-feeding although i didn't choose to do it. But i remember taking my son to playschool when he was 3 years old and another mother there used to take her 3 year old child into the toilets to breast-feed him.:eek:

emszxr
08-Dec-06, 12:27
Don't they have TEETH by the time they are 1 year old.:lol:

yes but you can teach them not to bite you

angela5
08-Dec-06, 12:36
yes but you can teach them not to bite you

That would'nt have worked for me they never listen to a word you say.:lol:

jinglejangle
08-Dec-06, 12:52
i breastfed my first for 7 months and am currently breastfeeding my 5 month old and hope to til she is about a year. i love being able to give my baby the best i possibly can. i feed my baby where ever i have to, discreetly of course, i have no problems with feeding in public. i have even been told, its lovely to see a baby being breastfed by an older mum.
i really think more mums should try and do it. too many think the bottle is easier, i dont think it is, all that sterilising and the cost.
and some mums wont do it cause they are worried about sagging breasts. i think thats terrible. ok my body aint what is was before kids, but i am proud that i managed to carry 2 healthy beautiful babies and so i am proud of my baby belly and stretch marks.
breast is best, there is nothing better, why do some mums want to give there kids second best, apart for medical reasons.

some women just don't fancy do it - nothing to do with giving them second best! i had enough about breast is best when i was pregnant and then again when i was in hospital after having children - neglected by midwifes - just given a bottle and told to get on with it and the breast fed mums were given lots of time to show them what to do. i never thought about sagging breast / body etc i just did not want to do it! my children are perfectly happy and content. also i have seen so many mothers getting stressed out trying to feed their babies and it not working and them feeling like failures when they have had to give up. i agree let women who want to feed in public do just that but don't ram it down our throats how breast is best! rant over!

angela5
08-Dec-06, 12:59
some women just don't fancy do it - nothing to do with giving them second best! i have 3 children and didn't try with any of them as it is a personal choice. i had enough about breast is best when i was pregnant and then again when i was in hospital after having children - neglected by midwifes - just given a bottle and told to get on with it and the breast fed mums were given lots of time to show them what to do. i never thought about sagging breast / body etc i just did not want to do it! my children are perfectly happy and content. also i have seen so many mothers getting stressed out trying to feed their babies and it not working and them feeling like failures when they have had to give up. i agree let women who want to feed in public do just that but don't ram it down our throats how breast is best! rant over!

jinglejangle, you are so right. Midwifes do try to bully you into breast-feeding, you are also felt like a bad mother because you choose to bottle-fed.
Breast is Best..Who say's?
My kids are all fine, bottled fed babies and they were not deprived of any goodness from powdered milk.
Stressed out mother's, i've seen plenty of them and midwifes insisting they try and try again.:roll:

jinglejangle
08-Dec-06, 13:05
jinglejangle, you are so right. Midwifes do try to bully you into breast-feeding, you are also felt like a bad mother because you choose to bottle-fed.
My kids are all fine, bottled fed babies and they were not deprived of any goodness from powdered milk.
Stressed out mother's, i've seen plenty of them and midwifes insisting they try and try again.:roll:

i know but i just said from the start it wasn't for me!! however the other 2 girls on the ward tried and both gave up within a week of leaving the hospital. one said she didn't like doing it to the midwife who said give it time! she said to me she was going to wait till she got home and then go to bottle feeding!

jinglejangle
08-Dec-06, 13:07
Nothing wrong with breast-feeding although i didn't choose to do it. But i remember taking my son to playschool when he was 3 years old and another mother there used to take her 3 year old child into the toilets to breast-feed him.:eek:

sorry but i think the mother gets more out of feeding a 3 year old than the child will :eek:

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 13:58
http://app100828.applicabroadband.net/Images/rant.gif

I am sick fed up of my quiet Sunday morning coffee being ruined by the Buggy Brigade insisting on dragging their screaming kids around town with them. Last weekend there must have been a coach trip hit the town - they descended on the cafe and preceded to round up several tables and chairs, all the time the brats capable of self locomotion were running around tables which had hot drinks on, shouting and screaming. The looks of disgust from the likeminded people at this display of infantile invasion proved it's not just me that is a grumpy old git.

And why do they have to breast feed in public for gods sake?
Do they have some desire to expose themselves to all and sundry - I mean just as I am about to take my first sip from my latte I glance up and there is some woman hoiking up her top and docking the rugrat onto the milk dispenser!!!! Why bother leaving the house if you have to breast feed the damn thing? Can't you have any consideration for others? Or is your inalienable right to breast feed your offspring so important that you have to go to the most public place imaginable and do it even though you know that some people might prefer not to view you giving the baby a pap latte.....

garycs
08-Dec-06, 14:04

I am sick fed up of my quiet Sunday morning coffee being ruined by the Buggy Brigade insisting on dragging their screaming kids around town with them. Last weekend there must have been a coach trip hit the town - they descended on the cafe and preceded to round up several tables and chairs, all the time the brats capable of self locomotion were running around tables which had hot drinks on, shouting and screaming. The looks of disgust from the likeminded people at this display of infantile invasion proved it's not just me that is a grumpy old git.

Do they have some desire to expose themselves to all and sundry - I mean just as I am about to take my first sip from my latte I glance up and there is some woman hoiking up her top and docking the rugrat onto the milk dispenser!!!! Why bother leaving the house if you have to breast feed the damn thing? Can't you have any consideration for others? Or is your inalienable right to breast feed your offspring so important that you have to go to the most public place imaginable and do it even though you know that some people might prefer not to view you giving the baby a pap latte.....

Why do you have to go out for your Sunday morning coffee?

angela5
08-Dec-06, 14:04
sorry but i think the mother gets more out of feeding a 3 year old than the child will :eek:

Well i'll agree there jinglejangle:lol:

angela5
08-Dec-06, 14:06

Jeepers!!! yer no telling him to stay at home are you :eek: Breast feeding rights and all that is it?

angela5
08-Dec-06, 14:09

Hahahaha[lol] I canna drink my coffee for laughing,That's a cracker of a post.

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 14:16

Because I can!!! And it might be a Saturday morning. It has also been during the week. I have the disposable income which permits me the pleasure of going into town, to sit with friends and spend a little time chatting over a coffee or two. I guess Castletown doesn't have a cafe anymore?

Piglet
08-Dec-06, 14:19
Castletown Has the Highlander now, For folks to go for a coffee.

paris
08-Dec-06, 14:29
Cant believe a few of you out there find breastfeeding so wrong in public, the only places we mums find to feed in privacy is a loo, so would you like to eat in the loo, ? Thing is its the most natural thing in the world. Why would you find it offencive ? Have you never seen a woman's breast? for god sake were not out to flash/embarrass anyone just feed a child who is hungry. jan x

garycs
08-Dec-06, 14:29
Because I can!!! And it might be a Saturday morning. It has also been during the week. I have the disposable income which permits me the pleasure of going into town, to sit with friends and spend a little time chatting over a coffee or two. I guess Castletown doesn't have a cafe anymore?

My point is, why should one person's right to enjoyment take precedence over over another's basic human right of being allowed to eat? What we are really talking about when referring to a mother breastfeeding in public, is the baby's need to eat.

jinglejangle
08-Dec-06, 14:31

madpict very good!!!!!:lol: totally agree and i have children!!

unicorn
08-Dec-06, 14:32
The main people who tend to find breastfeeding offensive in my opinion is men who think that womens breasts were created by god for their enjoyment and not for feeding babies. For those that don't like to be disturbed have you never found yourselves hungry when it wasn't a mealtime, and I am sure if the mum didn't feed baby and just let it scream the place down instead you would also complain bitterly about that.

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 14:34
Then if that right to eat is so important the take a bottle along - or use the "parent & baby room" which so many establishments now seem to provide. You'll be saying that it is OK for the parents to change the nappies in open view next. I mean can't have the baby suffering now can we!!!

unicorn
08-Dec-06, 14:37
there are many breast fed babies who will not take a bottle in any shape or form, should they starve. Who forces you to watch a woman who is feeding her baby?

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 14:40
I would say the B word, which ryhmes with the things you rest your oars on, now to your post unicorn, because it is NOT just me, as a man, who finds the sight of breastfeeding in public a problem. My wife and other females I know are also of a like mind.

And I have a solution to the problem of a hungry child - stay at home with it until such time as you can go out and feed it solids or you have changed over to other forms of food.

Piglet
08-Dec-06, 14:41
If you don't like what your seeing don't look. :eek:

crashbandicoot1979
08-Dec-06, 14:41
I don't mind breastfeeding as long as its discreet but what I HATE are children running around, screaming because their parents can't control them, totally ignoring their mothers pathetic attempts to tell them to sit down.

As for changing babies nappies in public, I remember being on the train one time, and the woman opposite me changing the baby's dirty nappy on the table. And when I say dirty, I mean dirty - the carriage stank for ages afterwards and the really annoying thing was that the train toilet was equipped with a baby changing station.

brandy
08-Dec-06, 14:46
actually no you cant have a baby suffering..
and yes i have changed a baby in public.. several times..
tell me how would you like to sit in your own filth?
an infant is completley helpless and dependent on its parents.
and how dare you tell me that i as a mother have no right to go out and
enjoy a cup of tea and a meal because i have children?
are you the only one allowed to spend their pennies on a cuppa?
so basically me as a mother should never go out.. should never go shopping or go out to lunch with friends or family. and should stay at home and keep my get away from normal people.. who just want peace and quite in a public place?
that very victorian of you..
i guess now that i am showing.. i should be in confinment as well.. that i should not recieve visitors and not under any circumstances be seen out and about in my "condition"
i can also gurn and say that i have been in wetherspoons on several occasions.. in the FAMILY section.. that is designed for famillies with small children.. and there have been older people there that look at you with pure disgust because you have brought toddlers in.
there are loads of places to sit.. yet they go to the family area then moan and groan about kids!
i want to breast feed this time.
i wasnt able to feed them myself.. because they were so sick.. and by the time they were well enough.. they didnt know how to suckle..
hopefully this time will be dif. if not then .. oh well.. i tried it didnt work.
i can honestly say i have never seen a woman pop her boob out...
most feeding mothers use a blanket.. and you can see nothing..
and just to end this rant.. women and children have as much right to go anywhere in public that you do.. and if you dont like it .. to bad

unicorn
As a mother who breastfed and at times had to sit in a manky toilet to do it I find the attitudes ridiculous. Breastfeeding not only is a natural way to feed a baby, it is more hygenic, cheaper, gives you more time with baby, produces a less colicy baby, gives the baby passive immunity and gives mum a far better bonding experience.It also pulls your muscles back into shape far faster after the birth. When a a baby cries for milk it makes mums milk rush forward and that can be very painful when you have to rush home to feed your baby because there are a minority of people who find it offensive.

Metalattakk

Spot on. We've got to stand up to these bullies, and categorically state that breast-feeding should be a private thing.

There are designated areas for such behaviour - the home. Once you have bairns you have to realise that your life choices are going to be limited. It comes with the territory.

But, some people just want to have their cake and eat it too.

unicorn
08-Dec-06, 14:52
So all you boys complaining stayed at home bottlefeeding as dad's while mum went out and done the shopping and paid bills etc.

crashbandicoot1979
08-Dec-06, 14:59
actually no you cant have a baby suffering..
and yes i have changed a baby in public.. several times..
tell me how would you like to sit in your own filth?

Fair enough, but surely if the facility for changing in private is available, the mother should be using it? In the example I quoted there was a carriage full of people who were subjected to the baby's dirty nappy, and although I appreciate that a dirty nappy would not have been nice for the baby, I don't believe that the baby had any more rights than anyone else on the train. If there had been no facility available, fair enough because that would be the fault of the train company and there would have been no other option for the mother.

As for mothers and children having a right to go wherever they like - yes I totally agree, but I have the right aswell, therefore I appreciate it when parents keep their children under control. I don't disturb their enyjoyment of their day out, so why should it be acceptable for them to disturb mine?

But back to the issue in hand which is breastfeeding....as I said I don't have a problem with it as long as its discreet and I have never yet seen a mother who hasn't tried her very best to be discreet.

brandy
08-Dec-06, 15:14
see im fine with that.
i have had to change thte kids in public because there was no where else to change them.
in the town even now.. wetherspoons is the only place to change a baby.
there is no where in the town that has a mother and baby room
and i remember trying to change the baby on the train.. there wasnt a baby changing table in the loo.. you can barley get in there yourself! much less find a place to put a baby.. and train toilets are NASTY!!
its hard as anything to change a baby on a plane.
cause the room is so small..
i almost lost my mind once.. we were coming back from america..
and we were on a ryan air flight from london to inverness.. there were very few poeple on the plane and seats everywhere.. we had no assigned seats.
now two women sit behind us..
about half an hour before landing .. the baby got gurny and started crying..
he had been traveling for 2 days.. and finally had enough.. here this woman started complaining about how inconsiderate people were for flying with children and how it shouldnt be allowed.. i almost turned around and told her ot move if she didnt like it..
i was stressed enough as we had just come back from a very stressful emergency trip.. where my granny had died onchristmas day.
so lets talk about consideration.. a plane with maybe 15 people on it. and tons of space and she was complaining because she choose to sit behind a family with two small children.

angela5
08-Dec-06, 15:16
There is a serious lack of baby changing facilites in town. Does tescos have a baby changing area?

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 15:18
Brandy,
You mean you go out "showing"!!!!!!! Well do as garycs suggests and get your coffee at home - it'll save you money in the long run - use it to feed the kids....

And yeah, go into the 'family area' and you are asking for all you get - just as if you go into the smoking section if you're a non-smoker. And yes, some mothers do try to be discreet when they breast feed. But many aren't and seem to delight in making as big a meal (sorry) of the whole thing as they possibly can. Almost as if they are challenging someone to complain or tut under their breath a little too loudly.

unicorn,
As you raised it - what is it with husbands these days? I see them as well, dragging the screaming kids along as they push the latest 3 wheel off road monster buggy with the wailing banshee of a baby strapped in. Obviously the wifey is off doing her thing while he imposes his misery onto the rest of the populace who go to Costas or Starbucks for that little moment of chill time. That is until he rolls in like one of the four horsemen. Few years ago you'd never see a man pushing a pram or buggy along the streets of Wick.

At least we don't have to endure him breast feeding...

unicorn
08-Dec-06, 15:21
for a moderator you have a surprisingly repulsive manner.

golach
08-Dec-06, 15:23
Spot on. We've got to stand up to these bullies, and categorically state that breast-feeding should be a private thing.
There are designated areas for such behaviour - the home. Once you have bairns you have to realise that your life choices are going to be limited. It comes with the territory.
But, some people just want to have their cake and eat it too.

Come on lads give the lassies a break, they are only doing what comes naturally, feeding the wean. That never upsets me. What does is when I am sitting near the beach in the Mediterranean sipping my first cafe correto of the day, when some over 30'ish woman with more tattoo's than an Aberdeen trawler man whips off her one size fits all tee shirt and promptly sprawls out in front of me Topless!!!!:eek:
Lassies show a bit of decorum Pleassseeee, I want to enjoy my coffee in the sun, not the shade of some size 16 body

Naefearjustbeer
08-Dec-06, 15:27
Jee whizz mr madpict what rock did they split you out of with your stone age ideas and attitudes. Would you be happy if you knew that your mother left you with a dirty nappy and starving because some old fart might complain if she saw to your important needs. I suggest to any mothers who need to feed the bairn or change the bairn crack on and tell the ignorant idiots to go and do something I am not allowed to say on the forum.

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 15:30
but whats you folks opinion on the subject above?

^^^ brandy's words - she asked. She must have realised that there would be some diverse views on the topic. Just because I am a Mod doesn't mean I am not allowed an opinion. Or would you have me sit here and fume quietly as something which I feel strongly about gets nothing but pro comments?

Or could it be that as a Mod I haven't yet been lined up for the usual barrage of complaints?

NFJB,
I think I have already said that if it is done with discretion I can deal with that - it's the ones who don't give a flying hoot about the folk siting next to them or across from them.

And I am from the generation that had to sit in the car with a packet of crisps and a bottle of Coke, so perhaps they are a bit out of time....

unicorn
08-Dec-06, 15:33
you put yourself into the line of fire.

angela5
08-Dec-06, 15:34
Come on lads give the lassies a break, they are only doing what comes naturally, feeding the wean. That never upsets me. What does is when I am sitting near the beach in the Mediterranean sipping my first cafe correto of the day, when some over 30'ish woman with more tattoo's than an Aberdeen trawler man whips off her one size fits all tee shirt and promptly sprawls out in front of me Topless!!!!:eek:
Lassies show a bit of decorum Pleassseeee, I want to enjoy my coffee in the sun, not the shade of some size 16 body

Tattoo'd! size 16! 30ish woman!, You took a great deal of notice then:eek: she paid for her sunshine holiday in the Mediterranean too. You don't have to look at naked bodies on the beach you know.

crashbandicoot1979
08-Dec-06, 15:37
But back to the issue in hand which is breastfeeding....as I said I don't have a problem with it as long as its discreet and I have never yet seen a mother who hasn't tried her very best to be discreet.

Saying that, even though I don't have a problem with other women breastfeeding, if I had a child I wouldn't breast feed it in public. I'd never really thought about it before but its just occurred to me :confused

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 15:39
I have survived a lot worse things in life than the barbed comments of some Orger - and for once I can step out of the killing zone and hand in my Mod hat - it just takes a PM to an Admin.

But as the Mods here seem to be easy targets I'd hate to leave someone under fire....:p

lynne duncan
08-Dec-06, 15:42
this thread seems to have only achieved one thing and that is to significantly raise my blood pressure.
To mettallack and mad pict get DARK sunglasses and ear plugs and carry on with your narrow minded lifestyles,
Any female that complains about bairns has either not got any or a very short memory.
to mad pict again try wearing very dark sun glasses,
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but !!!!!!!!!!!!!! jesus you lot must be an embarrassment to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I managed to breastfeed all 3 of my children (now 9, 6, 3) (luckily as everyone who has tried knows that it requires a damn good bit of perserverance)
suffered for it with everything the book could throw at you, mastitis, cracked and bleeding nipples, unsufferable people who criticised my right to do so in public places (as said in previous which era did they grow up in)
with the first I did resort to squeezing into revolting toilets by the third had enough experience to realise that I was staying and feeding wherever the child needed fed.

NEVER should anyone feel ashamed of breastfeeding in public.
those that don't appreciate the most basic act of feeding a child should just turn there heads in a different direction!

Naefearjustbeer
08-Dec-06, 15:50
Saying that, even though I don't have a problem with other women breastfeeding, if I had a child I wouldn't breast feed it in public. I'd never really thought about it before but its just occurred to me :confused
So if your bairn is screaming hungry and you are a long way from home or somewhere with child facilities. What now let the kid starve?

Bobinovich
08-Dec-06, 15:51
Many of these anti-breastfeeding replies have got my blood boiling, which takes an awful lot thesedays.

IMHO it is the greatest gift a mother can do for her child - feed it with something pure and wholesome, produced naturally and so readily available.

I can see the point about being discrete but I've never yet seen a mother who isn't - they're not getting their breasts out for others to ogle, but to nourish their child. If you're an adult then you've almost certainly seen one before so what's the problem? [evil] I can understand the confusion or intrigue for little kids but not for grown-ups...

I can also see the point about children running about and changing nappies, but maybe if more places (especially those who want the custom of young families) provided play areas and changing facilities then there would be less gurning.

It is only recently that family friendly stores seem to have been including these facililities (mostly in new builds too) - but the good old backwater of Caithness seems to harbour some old-fashioned views and doesn't seen to think them necessary. :confused

The Central in Thurso has the right idea - a section tucked away round the corner with a bouncy castle, kiddie ride, soft play area and a great attitude from their child-friendly staff.

crashbandicoot1979
08-Dec-06, 15:54
So if your bairn is screaming hungry and you are a long way from home or somewhere with child facilities. What now let the kid starve?

No, I'd take a bottle.

Naefearjustbeer
08-Dec-06, 16:02
No, I'd take a bottle.
Not much use for a breast fed child. Most breast fed kids wont accept a bottle.

Angela
08-Dec-06, 16:08
I reckon I'm a grumpy old woman:( especially now I'm a granny :) but that doesn't mean I've any objection to women breastfeeding "in public", i.e. outside of their own home. I'm much more grumpy about people who make a song and dance about it.

It's the most natural thing in the world, surely? I wouldn't ever say a woman should choose to breast feed unless she wanted to (I bottle-fed one and breast fed two of my kids) - & it's not always easy. But it is promoted to all new mums - and has been for donkey's years - as the healthy thing to do for both the baby and its mum.

If a woman's breastfeeding her baby discreetly, nobody needs to be gawping at her unless they choose to. People are often ready enough to coo over a clean, smiling, well-fed baby it seems, but they don't like to think about the baby's basic needs.

crashbandicoot1979
08-Dec-06, 16:08
Not much use for a breast fed child. Most breast fed kids wont accept a bottle.

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I did not know that. I haven't a maternal bone in my body (as you may have gathered). I just wouldn't like to do it in public. I would probably just end up giving them a bottle from the start anyway. I was bottlefed and I (think!!) I turned out OK.

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 16:10
Lynne,
Sit down and have a decaf coffee. I have seen both extremes of breast feeding in a public place. The considerate (and perhaps shy) mothers who put a light blanket over their shoulder and also cover their child and do the biz with a little decorum (to use a golachism) and then the others who sit and lift the tops getting their bits out with not a hint of modesty.

The former I can suffer - the latter just makes my blood boil. Not for the actual act (for I do actually appreciate that babies need feeding) but for the way that these women carry out the 'act'.

Call me old fashioned or an embarrassment or any other name that you might think will hurt me but a little consideration is all that is needed and it does go both ways. You (the breast feeding mother) consider that I might not wish to sit and view your breasts and I'll consider that you have to feed the kiddy.

Now, much as I'd love to stay and talk more, I'm off out for a coffee (hopefully one made with cows milk).......

brandy
08-Dec-06, 16:15
i honestly would never ever just pop my boobs out in public.. but i would breast feed in public there is a big dif!
and as for fathers toting around the kids.. too right!
the father has just as much duty to the child as the mother.. the father help make that baby.. and it is his responsibility as well as the mothers!
most family's both parents have to work. just to support theirselves in todays world. its not like it use to be.. where a mom could stay at home with the kids.
i work.. and i work around my hubbys schedule as if i had to employ a childminder thenall my wages would be on that.. so dad gets kids when im at work.
and yes my hubby changes nappies.. feeds the kids baths them puts them to bed ..everything i do..
right now he is dressing them as i am getting ready to take their chrissie pics..
why am i not doing it you wonder.. well because ive just had surgery.. and am really large.. and when you have nearly 40 lbs of toddler squirming then it gets a little tricky!
*grins*

brandy
08-Dec-06, 16:21
oi on a thought.. my poor mum has absolutley no patience with children now.. and i greatly appreciate it.. she wonders daily how i put up with two shouting boys running thru the house. making a mess, and noise!
i just laugh and say i deal with it.. and just clean up after them..
she raised 4 of her own.. and then two grankids after thier mother died at a young age.

but now that she is older and sick .. she cant stand to be around small children more than a few min at a time!
but im fine with that.. as i know her nerves are not as what they use to be!
also i would never ever show my bits.. even in my own home.. if my dad or brothers were here they would drop dead in embarasment.. we were always taught to use a baby blanket when nursing.. but never went into seclusion.. as you can never know when and where a baby will need a feed!

donnas
08-Dec-06, 16:58
Cant believe a few of you out there find breastfeeding so wrong in public, the only places we mums find to feed in privacy is a loo, so would you like to eat in the loo, ? Thing is its the most natural thing in the world. Why would you find it offencive ? Have you never seen a woman's breast? for god sake were not out to flash/embarrass anyone just feed a child who is hungry. jan x
Other bodily functions are natural too, but you wouldnt like to be biting into your sausage roll on a sunday morning to see the man next to you in the cafe taking a dump.

brandy
08-Dec-06, 17:25
you can hardly compare the two.

donnas
08-Dec-06, 17:42
you can hardly compare the two.
just pointing out that they are both natural.

brandy
08-Dec-06, 17:48
yes but you implied that breastfeeding was the same and pooing in public..

donnas
08-Dec-06, 17:51
read it as you like, but the fact remains,pooing as you say, is as natural (if not more) as breast feeding. Infact i would go as far to say, it was much more necessary

brandy
08-Dec-06, 18:19
yes its a natural function.. but its unsanitary, and breastfeeding is not.
and only thanks to modern convience has BF become less mandatory.
thier are toilets in every public place, but not mother baby rooms.
a baby can not wait to be fed. where as a grown person can usually get up and make their way to the toilet.
and i dont know about you.. but would def prefer to have a woman breastfeeding in front of me than someone pooing in front of me.

oh and has been mentioned earlier.. about the topless bathing! *grrrr*
we went onto a first choice holiday over a year ago.. and we went to a family resort .. that specialised in family's with young children.
not one that was for older folk or singles...
and what do i see.. but women stripping down to g-strings and sunbathing with toddlers and young children all about.. i say that was a lot worse than a mother breastfeeding discretly behind a blanket..
i was horrified.. luckily my two were too small to take much notice.. but by God my 3 year old now would shout loudly.. hey mummy that ladies nekkid!!
why is it ok to sunbathe in nothing in public but horrible to bf in public when you cant even see anything?

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 18:33
and what do i see.. but women stripping down to g-strings and sunbathing with toddlers and young children all about..

Well what's wrong with that? It's natural - we were all born without clothes after all. So if someone wants to bathe topless why worry about the kids? They have all seen the breast up close........

See you find that a problem - so why not accept that in a restaurant or cafe the sight of someone BF'ing could be as bad?

emszxr
08-Dec-06, 18:39
the replies by the people that think us breastfeeding mothers should stay at home to feed our babies, yeh right, i dont think so.
no way am i going to stay stuck at home because of someones stupid opinion. and if i want to feed my baby in a cafe instead of hiding in a toilet or feeding room i so rightly will. there is a law in scotland now that it is against law to ask a breastfeeding mum to move or stop what she is doing. and so help any one who even tried to stop me.
we were given breasts to feed our young just like every other female animal on the planet. do you go ask a cow or a sheep in a field to go indoors to feed their young. and we are the only mammals that use alternatives to the breast.
breast are not for men's enjoyment, they are for feeding our offspring.
i could go on and get even more heated by this as its something i feel very strongly about. i just dont understand how some mothers dont try it at least. that is my opinion

donnas
08-Dec-06, 18:39
Well what's wrong with that? It's natural - we were all born without clothes after all. So if someone wants to bathe topless why worry about the kids? They have all seen the breast up close........

See you find that a problem - so why not accept that in a restaurant or cafe the sight of someone BF'ing could be as bad?
Well said, its ok to get them out to stick in the kids face, but you dont want the kids seeing them. I cant see the difference myself.

emszxr
08-Dec-06, 18:43
i have no problem with my children seeing naked bodies as long as not in a sexual way. breastfeeding is in no way shape or form sexual

Tristan
08-Dec-06, 18:51

So you are suggesting all moms who breastfeed should stay home barefoot in the kitchen in case they have to feed their bairn?
I agree there should be an element of discretion but ....next you will be wanting to burn them at the stake as a witch.

Dreadnought
08-Dec-06, 19:46
Perhaps if women did stay in and mind the kids and home then there would be more jobs for men and fewer divorces. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Minitar1/Smileys/bolt.gif

*It's a joke!*

rockchick
08-Dec-06, 20:04
Breastfeeding in public?

If I'm hillwalking with the hubby, and we're out in the middle of no-where, and he's gotta pee (as you do), I would expect him to find a bush, or at least turn his back. It's a perfectly natural function, and needs to be done, but I don't particularly want to watch him do it.

Same with breastfeeding - it's a perfectly natural function (what breasts were design ed to do, notwithstanding Page 3 supporters) - but I don't want to watch anyone do it. As long as it's covered with a blanket, tho, I'm quite happy with someone doing it in my presence. Its discrete, quiet, and everyone's happy.

I don't know MadPict, but would have to guess that either you don't have a family of your own or have never been exposed to newborns with the purpose of living with them. Being a stay-at-home mom, especially with a very young child, is extremely isolating. Getting out for a coffee can be a life-line to the real world to someone who hasn't heard a single syllable ina week...give a little!

Tristan
08-Dec-06, 20:05
Perhaps if women did stay in and mind the kids and home then there would be more jobs for men and fewer divorces. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Minitar1/Smileys/bolt.gif

*It's a joke!*

Perhaps, but since girls are outperforming boys at most if not all subjects at school according to the latest league tables maybe the boys should be at home to let the girls earn the big bucks.
No, I am not suggesting that but people do have the right to work, rest, play and feed as they need too.

MadPict
08-Dec-06, 20:15
rockchick,
You agree with me to a point - whether I have kids or not is my business. And I dare say if a poll was taken on the street it would probably be 50/50 on the results.

I have had my say - and if in saying it I offended anyone, I apologise. Lest I open my front door in the morning to a regiment of breast feeding mothers....

Buttercup
08-Dec-06, 20:18
Not wanting to take either side in this argument, but would like to know why there's a need for it nowadays? Years ago when almost every baby was breast fed you didn't see it done in public. Women still carried on life as normal, going shopping etc and that time it was a case of going from one shop to the next as there weren't big supermarkets with everything under one roof. :confused

rockchick
08-Dec-06, 20:41
A need for breastfeeding, or a need to argue about the right to do it?

Breastfeeding is necessary as a viable, healthy alternative to artificially produced "formulas" for feeding babies.

Why argue about it? Well...in our society, where you can go into any milk store and see breasts displayed quite artistically on the top magazine shelves, we see breasts as sexual objects that cannot be displayed in public. To see them being used for the function that they were designed for (i.e. breastfeeding) is disillusionary for many men, which makes it reprehensible and to be avoided at all costs. Breastfeeding women feel that, as it's 100% natural, it should be accepted as the bodily function that it is.

How would you feel if you went to go visit a work colleague who had recently given birth, and she started breastfeeding while you were visiting? It makes you look at a person differently. Where on earth do you look while you're trying to have a conversation?

However, as a mother who's successfully breastfed three kids (and, btw, my breasts can STILL pass the pencil test) I can assure you that it can be done with discretion and support (and a bit of assertiveness!)

Dreadnought
08-Dec-06, 20:43
One small point, breasts were not 'designed', they evolved.

Tristan
08-Dec-06, 20:45
One small point, breasts were not 'designed', they evolved.

Laff.....I agree.
But lets not start a creation vs evolution thread.

funky-dunky
08-Dec-06, 21:17
when my twins are born i am going to breastfeed i dont care what anyone says and if anyone doesnt like i i feel as if it is my apinion and if you want to breastfeed them go for it. breastfeeding is much healthier for babies and mothers anyway so i would highly recomend in breastfeeding and i think any midwife or doctor would be behind me on this one. i dont want a fight on what i said. its just i feel as if people should be doing what they want when they want. (as long as its legal) :Razz lol. xx

Tristan
08-Dec-06, 22:19
A need for breastfeeding, or a need to argue about the right to do it?

Breastfeeding is necessary as a viable, healthy alternative to artificially produced "formulas" for feeding babies.

Why argue about it? Well...in our society, where you can go into any milk store and see breasts displayed quite artistically on the top magazine shelves, we see breasts as sexual objects that cannot be displayed in public. To see them being used for the function that they were designed for (i.e. breastfeeding) is disillusionary for many men, which makes it reprehensible and to be avoided at all costs. Breastfeeding women feel that, as it's 100% natural, it should be accepted as the bodily function that it is.

How would you feel if you went to go visit a work colleague who had recently given birth, and she started breastfeeding while you were visiting? It makes you look at a person differently. Where on earth do you look while you're trying to have a conversation?

However, as a mother who's successfully breastfed three kids (and, btw, my breasts can STILL pass the pencil test) I can assure you that it can be done with discretion and support (and a bit of assertiveness!)

Top shelf mags? heck the local paper.

BTW what is the pencil test?

brandy
08-Dec-06, 22:20
i dont know.. what is the pencil test! *laughs* i will prob fail it! *laughs*

rockchick
08-Dec-06, 22:24
The pencil test is how you determine whether or not you can still go without a bra. You stand (in front of a mirror, if you like), lift a breast with one hand, and place a pencil under the breast with the other, then gently drop the breast with the first hand. If the pencil falls to the floor, put your nipples to the wind and run around braless...if not, go to your closest Ann Summers shop, and start stocking up on underwires!

brandy
08-Dec-06, 22:26
omg! nope never pass!! im extremley well endowed!! i would kill someone if i went without a bra! *rotfl* not to mention the black eyes i would have!
i think i was 12 the last time i went in public without a bra!

mums angels
08-Dec-06, 22:35

I know of a midwife at wick that had a baby a couple of years ago and she never attempted to breastfeed but she admitted to "bulling" patients into breastfeeding, not because she wanted to or because she thought it best for baby..only because she was told by bosses e.t.c that she must promote breastfeeding or suffer the consequences and under no circumstances must she say that she bottlefed all three of her children, she also stated the she believed from experience that breast milk made no differnce these days anyway!!

as far as i'm concerned...breastfeed if you wish whereever you want but be discreet I was speaking away quite the thing to a family member last weekend that was sat on her sofa cuddling her wee baba ..or so i thought it wasn't uintil she sat him up to wind him that i realised that she had been feeding him..i'd honestly never notice..she was very discreet...it can be done!!! (someone tell my sister in law that though, hubby was fed up and disgusted of getting an eye full of his sisters breast ever five mins(he used to have to walk out...she never cared :Razz )

WeeBurd
08-Dec-06, 22:37
There is far too much pressure on women to breastfeed these days. At my fist midwife appointment with #1 Burdie (that was when I was 8 weeks pregnants), I was asked whether I intended breastfeeding:eek:? How the heck would I know at that stage?

Anyhow, I breastfed #1 for 14 weeks, enduring much pain and anxeity throughout (all normal I was told). I ended up a miserable wreck, crying before and during every feed, and dreading feed times so much - Burdie would feed for over an hour everytime, and that was every three hours I decided NOT to breastfeed #2, but again, pressure from what I'd read/been told first time round reared it's ugly head again, and made me change my mind once baby arrived, so I attempt for breastfeed for a second time. By day 2 I was in tears, in extreme pain, and exhausted. As soon as I left hospital I put Wee'estBurdie on formula, and she (and I) have been rocking ever since!

Breastfeeding is not for everyone, and it doesn't always work for everyone. It may be natural, and wonderful for SOME, but not for all.

Painting a pretty picture is all very well, but I just wish someone had been a bit more honest with me and explained the downsides.:(

Re: breasfeeding in public, I was out and about with my little one, but still managed to avoid having to breasfeed in public. I agree, there is a certain "militant" group of mothers out there, who I think, take some sort of pleasure in embarrassing others by whapping their bubbles out in public. I think that's tastless, and gives regular breastfeeding mothers a bad name. It can be done subtly though, and I have no issue whatsoever with that.

rockchick
08-Dec-06, 22:52
If anyone wants a humourous view of the downside of breastfeeding...which is that the mother is bonded to her baby practically 24/7!... here goes

My last baby was born in November. I had been breastfeeding quite faithfully, and all was going quite successfully, but it came that it was just a week before Christmas, and I wanted to do a bit of Christmas shopping. This required me to be separate from the Spud for a period of approximately 1 hour.

This took some planning. Pebbles was (we hoped) well fed, then passed to Dad to oversee whilst Mom (me) got to do some super-shopping at the local mall, where we would meet up again after an hour. Well! I enjoyed my first hour of freedom for over six weeks, and ran about 10 minutes late past the time we were supposed to meet.

What a sight I saw...there was my poor partner...with squalling infant in arm...He'd bared his bicep, and the wee bairn was desperately searching on this bicep, obviously trying to find the nipple that was supposed to be there somewhere!!!! I'd never seen him looking that stressed (and that was only after one hour of taking care of the bairn that I'd managed for six weeks on my own!).

Buttercup
08-Dec-06, 23:07
There is far too much pressure on women to breastfeed these days. At my fist midwife appointment with #1 Burdie (that was when I was 8 weeks pregnants), I was asked whether I intended breastfeeding:eek:? How the heck would I know at that stage?

Anyhow, I breastfed #1 for 14 weeks, enduring much pain and anxeity throughout (all normal I was told). I ended up a miserable wreck, crying before and during every feed, and dreading feed times so much - Burdie would feed for over an hour everytime, and that was every three hours I decided NOT to breastfeed #2, but again, pressure from what I'd read/been told first time round reared it's ugly head again, and made me change my mind once baby arrived, so I attempt for breastfeed for a second time. By day 2 I was in tears, in extreme pain, and exhausted. As soon as I left hospital I put Wee'estBurdie on formula, and she (and I) have been rocking ever since!

Breastfeeding is not for everyone, and it doesn't always work for everyone. It may be natural, and wonderful for SOME, but not for all.

Painting a pretty picture is all very well, but I just wish someone had been a bit more honest with me and explained the downsides.:(

Re: breasfeeding in public, I was out and about with my little one, but still managed to avoid having to breasfeed in public. I agree, there is a certain "militant" group of mothers out there, who I think, take some sort of pleasure in embarrassing others by whapping their bubbles out in public. I think that's tastless, and gives regular breastfeeding mothers a bad name. It can be done subtly though, and I have no issue whatsoever with that.

Well said WeeBurd. The "professionals" are bullying mothers-to-be into doing something that is just not for everyone. There's far too much of the "I'm better than you, cause I breast fed" Some people can't (for various reasons), it's as simple as that and they are being made to feel they are bad mothers and not doing the best for their baby. Whichever you choose - breast or bottle - you should be allowed to decide yourself. Let the "professionals" give you advice but make sure they tell the true pros & cons of both. Do they ever tell you beforehand about the worry you'll have if baby is feeding for an hour out of every four and just not putting weight on? Are they there when you are absolutely exhausted and at your wits end in the middle of the night when baby's been on the breast "feeding" for ages and keeps stopping and crying? Surely it's better to have a contented and healthy bottlefed baby than a unsettled, underfed breast one! Babies soon pick up on their mother's feelings and if the mother is unhappy or worried about breastfeeding this will quickly transfer to baby.

paris
08-Dec-06, 23:18
Other bodily functions are natural too, but you wouldnt like to be biting into your sausage roll on a sunday morning to see the man next to you in the cafe taking a dump.
And your point is ?????

brandy
08-Dec-06, 23:22
now i agree with all of teh above..
breast feeding is just not suitable for a lot of women.. i know this because i tried the last two times.. and it just didnt happen..
i remember when sam was born and in scbu i cried and cried.. because he couldnt suckle..
i had 4 mw at once trying to get him to latch on.. we tried everything.. even nipple shilds..
but he was just to week to suckle. i expressed for 3 weeks, before my milk just went (he was tube fed)
when we brought him home he was secure on a bottle.. as he had to feed well before he could come home..
with ben.. he latched on straight away.. and i really enjoyed it.. i felt that i was doing something i never had the chance to do with sam.
however that same day. .they discovered that he had low calcium and had to put him on a special formula.. by the time i got him back.. even though i still had plenty of milk.. he wouldnt latch on as he was use to the bottle.
the mw came in tried to help.. but she said.. that maybe it was best just to keep him on the bottle, as we were both getting horribly upset because he wasnt latching on..
i did.. i dont feel like a failure.. i tried it didnt work.. but i would like to try again.. and if it dosent work.. oh well i wanted to try.. i did .. and i will be happy with that..

WeeBurd
08-Dec-06, 23:25
now i agree with all of teh above..
breast feeding is just not suitable for a lot of women.. i know this because i tried the last two times.. and it just didnt happen..
i remember when sam was born and in scbu i cried and cried.. because he couldnt suckle..
i had 4 mw at once trying to get him to latch on.. we tried everything.. even nipple shilds..
but he was just to week to suckle. i expressed for 3 weeks, before my milk just went (he was tube fed)
when we brought him home he was secure on a bottle.. as he had to feed well before he could come home..
with ben.. he latched on straight away.. and i really enjoyed it.. i felt that i was doing something i never had the chance to do with sam.
however that same day. .they discovered that he had low calcium and had to put him on a special formula.. by the time i got him back.. even though i still had plenty of milk.. he wouldnt latch on as he was use to the bottle.
the mw came in tried to help.. but she said.. that maybe it was best just to keep him on the bottle, as we were both getting horribly upset because he wasnt latching on..
i did.. i dont feel like a failure.. i tried it didnt work.. but i would like to try again.. and if it dosent work.. oh well i wanted to try.. i did .. and i will be happy with that..

If I were being brutally honest, a small part of me does feel like a failure for not succeeding with #2, and not doing it for longer with #1. Even after all the pain, and anxeity, and upset, and stress.... and that is exactly why it is wrong to put so much focus on breast being best. :roll:

Dreadnought
08-Dec-06, 23:29
Laff.....I agree.
But lets not start a creation vs evolution thread.

If they were designed surely they would dispense a high quality single malt... ;)

brandy
08-Dec-06, 23:30
my cousin did as well , but it was more because she never attempted to ..
but it wasnt mw's that was her problem.. as not that many mw's in america.. more gyn. that sees you..
but her sister in law breast fed all 3 of hers.. and her mother n law all 7 of hers.. and she felt like she was being pressured into it by family pressure.
we talked about it several times. and i remember telling her many times that if she didnt feel comfy with it.. not to bother. that if she was distressed then so would be emma..
now her sister on teh other hand.. was what made me determined to try!
because she had the gall to tell me not to dare to breast feed.. as it was horrifying and painfull and that i would resent my baby.. for putting me thru that.
obviously she had a bad experiance.. even though she never actually bf. any of hers after a few tries with teh first one.

but it did upset me as i was preg. for the first time.. knew nothing of motherhood. and here she was telling me all the horror stories with none of the good things.

rockchick
08-Dec-06, 23:44
If they were designed surely they would dispense a high quality single malt... ;)

Laff...for the mothers as well as for the fathers...in Canada they give women beer in hospital to help the milk come down! it's true...

Seriously, breastfeeding has GOT to be better than some manufactured product for our young. It's 100% natural, no additives or preservatives, and assists bonding with the mothers. I have to wonder at the propaganda put out by companies who only stand to gain by people who choose not to breastfeed...bottle feeding is definitely easier: either parent can do it, its reasonably affordable, and more socially acceptable than breastfeeding. Why choose anything else?

Breastfeeding is better for baby: Better fat/protein mixture, superior immunilogical barrier, and better bonding. Why choose anything else?

Let's see...avoiding people (i.e. MadPict-type people) sneering at nursing mothers...hmm...not much of an argument, is it?

WeeBurd
08-Dec-06, 23:57
Laff...for the mothers as well as for the fathers...in Canada they give women beer in hospital to help the milk come down! it's true...

Seriously, breastfeeding has GOT to be better than some manufactured product for our young. It's 100% natural, no additives or preservatives, and assists bonding with the mothers. I have to wonder at the propaganda put out by companies who only stand to gain by people who choose not to breastfeed...bottle feeding is definitely easier: either parent can do it, its reasonably affordable, and more socially acceptable than breastfeeding. Why choose anything else?

Breastfeeding is better for baby: Better fat/protein mixture, superior immunilogical barrier, and better bonding. Why choose anything else?

Let's see...avoiding people (i.e. MadPict-type people) sneering at nursing mothers...hmm...not much of an argument, is it?

That's just it, Rockchick, it's not the formula-companies that are putting out the propoganda, it's the government/pro-breastfeeding groups. For my second, I wanted to find some information in advance regarding bottle feeding and there was nothing available to me, other than reading the side of a packet in the supermarket. Even the Health Visitors had minimal advice/information when I asked questions, because they're not allowed to be seen as condoning(sp?) it.

To suggest that people bottlefeed because it's easier or because they're too proud to breastfeed is both naive and insulting.

Breastfeeding, when it works, is one of the most loving, rewarding experiences any mother can have with her baby.

Breastfeeding, when it doesn't work, is on of the most isolating, painful, soul-destroying, experiences any mother can experience, and can negatively affect the bonding process.

the charlatans
09-Dec-06, 00:45
i used to be embarrased by breastfeeding until i had a bairn. he had a few health problems so i breastfed him cos 'its the best thing to do'.
it was hard hard hard, i was embarrased doing this in front of everyone. it took me 10 weeks to be able to do it 'properly' and even then it was still sore in a way.
i didn't do it in public until the very end and then realised most people didn't realise i was doing it as i was Mrs discreet. i don't agree with getting them out so everyone can see them, they are after all mine and i don't want everyone seeing them.
but i'm proud i did, he's a right wee topper, and if my nursing him helped then whey me. and whey you if you managed. i don't think you could understand unless you are there doing it, 3am the bairns screaming, your shattered and he can't latch on. motherhood is hard work, the tiredness and the total change of lifestyle you get.
so if some old mannie thinks that its disgusting you feeding your wee bairn in public that you took 9 months to give birth to and haven't slept all night in ages then stuff him, he's either not been around a breastfeeding mother in a while or he just doesn't respect the commitment it takes to do it.
stuff him, even if he's a moderator. i have my opinion and he has his. we're both entitled to it. thats why this is a forum
you go Brandy, if you can do it then i'm proud of you, if not, don't be upset, you still love that baby just the same.

peedie
09-Dec-06, 01:37
well i watched some very high quality daytime tv yesterday ([lol]) and there was a woman on that breast feed her daughter till she was 7 years old.. i dont have kids but my eyes watered at the thought of a full set of nashers.....

Naefearjustbeer
09-Dec-06, 02:25
That borders on child abuse in my book! Kids should be weaned off of milk be it breast or bottle much much younger than that. Our 1 year old drinks cows milk or water from a cup now.

lin
09-Dec-06, 03:33
I breastfed until my baby was eighteen months. I fed her everywhere and no one had a clue. She is now 24 and breastfeeding her daughter. If you do it right no one has a clue what your doing. Breast is best for mum and baby. Saying that no nights out no social life mum getting up with baby during the night,But to me it was worth every second. Its the mums choice!!

_Ju_
09-Dec-06, 11:31
Breastfed for 10 months. I wanted to reach a year but the little blighter bit me and it was soooooooooo painful, so I just couldn't anymore.
But it connects you with your child in a way that no bottle can. It also made him a very touchy/feely little boy. He loves human contact, cuddles. He will rest his forehead on anybit of exposed skin he can and that makes you feel really close to your child. I also think that it made communication easier. He loves looking into a persons face when he speaks with them. I think that partlyt breastfeeding helped this.

_Ju_
09-Dec-06, 11:34
That borders on child abuse in my book! Kids should be weaned off of milk be it breast or bottle much much younger than that. Our 1 year old drinks cows milk or water from a cup now.

Average age of weaning in most countries excluding west europe and USA and Canada is 3 years of age. Many carry-on well beyond that. What is unatural is to wean earlier than that, but unfortunately the way we live does not allow us to do that.

mums angels
09-Dec-06, 13:25

Breastmilk is only better for babies if the mother looks after herself and eats the proper food....my sister was breastfeeding her new baby and her baby was not thriving, she was getting smaller not bigger and it was down to the fact that she did not have the essential nutrients in her breast milk..baby now on formula and is finally putting on weight!!!!

As for better bonding you can not honestly tell me that you think that a women who breastfed is closer to her children than I am to mine....and plenty of women that breastfed have had postnatal depression...in fact I know more women with postnatal depression that breastfed than i do that bottlefed...More pressure

Angela
09-Dec-06, 13:59
My daughter's breastfeeding her baby. When she's taken the baby to be weighed, the health visitor's only had weight charts for bottle fed babies... She said they weren't the same, but despite promoting brestfeeding she just didn't have the relevant charts!

sassylass
09-Dec-06, 19:22
Being a huge advocate of nature in general and breastfeeding in particular, I was amazed to find myself wincing at some of the explicitness on this thread :eek:

Breastfeeding need not devolve into warfare. The issue will yield to courtesy, common sense and respect for the other person's rights.

mums angels
09-Dec-06, 20:06
My daughter's breastfeeding her baby. When she's taken the baby to be weighed, the health visitor's only had weight charts for bottle fed babies... She said they weren't the same, but despite promoting brestfeeding she just didn't have the relevant charts!

breast fed babies are suppoosed to put on more weight than bottlefed babies so really the chart wouldn't make a difference to your daughter if baby is ok on bottle fed chart then she would be even better on breast fed chart if there is such a thing..I've had 3 children two attempted breast fed and one bottlefed from birth and I have NEVER been told that there is different charts for breast or bottle...i have also asked around a few new mums that i personally know and they have never been told this either....I will ask my health visitor on Monday..i would be intersted to know why i wasn't told this!!

Max
09-Dec-06, 20:39
I breastfed my kids and they were always on the heavy side of the chart - I was told it was nothing to worry about as they were breastfed it wasn't a problem. They certainly didn't turn out overweight or anything. Didn't hear anything about a different chart though!