PDA

View Full Version : Labour Liz

michellem
28-Jan-05, 14:40
Looking for info on Elizabeth Sutherland, aka 'Labour Liz. She was a stalwart for the rights of the fish wives at Wick harbour round the beginning of this century and did many local radio interviews.

elizabeth forbes
12-Feb-05, 14:12
Re: Labour Liz, She was my great grand mother if you want more info reply

michellem
12-Feb-05, 14:23
Very interested, she was my great grandmother too. So are you from the Durrand side then?

elizabeth forbes
12-Feb-05, 14:34
My gradmother was Elizabeth Kate Sutherland youngest daughter of Elizabeth McLeod & Adam Sutherland

michellem
12-Feb-05, 14:39
My grandmother was Elizabeth Sutherland, married to Alexander Durrand, who went on to have eight sons, that I know of

elizabeth forbes
04-Mar-05, 17:14
Hi Cousin, been searching for more info ,if my facts are right Lizzie McLeod as she was known too many people d.1965 in Wick aged 83 She is buried in Wick Old Cemetery with her husband Adam and infant children, She earned the name Labour Liz by helping people less fortunate than herself by her AKA name she was a staunch Labour party memberThere are many stories of her kindness to others in Wick,she had a large family and aslo worked as a herring gutter with the girls at Wick harbour during the season there are photo's of her and the girls in Book and on film The Silver Darlings, Also mentioned in Neil Gunn's book Over the Ord. I remember one particular story about a boy who ran barefoot in the streets of Wick, L/Liz went to the National Assistance as it was then and got the boy his first pair of " Tackeddy boots" that boy went on to become a County Councilor.She was a self taught woman, Married at 19 and lived in "The Chaple" with many other families at that time, the building was demolished and " Safeway's now stands on the site. The family was rehoused in Willowbank, where I myself grew up,I also lived with her for some time while my family was waiting to get rehoused, she has many decendants still living in Wick.
Will tag on if I find out any more info

elizabeth forbes
05-Mar-05, 12:36
L/Liz was born to Alexander McLeod/ Catherine (Jessie ) Gunn , on the 1901 Census for Wick she is 15 and lives in Macarthur Place, Her husband Adam, was born in Argyle Square to John Sutherland (Cabinet Maker) / Janet nee Knox,( they were married in Peebles 1870) Adam was a Weaver to trade but Coopered in Wick also. Adam and L/Liz married 1894 Adam was 23 and lived in Andersons Lane when he married ,he died aged 77 at his home in Willowbank. Itseems there was great movement of people at the time around 1900 to find work and living accommodation.

michellem
06-Mar-05, 00:34
thanks a lot cous, helps me out brilliantly, the bairns have been fascinated!!!

squidge
06-Mar-05, 01:09
Never mind the bairns i have no idea who you are and no connection but this fascinates me

michellem
06-Mar-05, 01:12
why? theres nowt to it really

squidge
06-Mar-05, 01:16
because you two are related didnt know each other and here you are

I just like to keep up so keep posting lol

michellem
06-Mar-05, 01:18
we've known each other since the day I was born, as my cousin is older than me. We just lost touch briefly when we both moved away from Caithness at different times to different locations, sorry no romantic mystery :(

elizabeth forbes
06-Mar-05, 13:23
Ok folks here is some more from this fascinating lady's (L/Liz) diary, regarding the fish wives of Wick.
When the men folk couldn't get out to sea because of bad weather their families did not eat, no fish on the table,no fish for market, L/Liz took up arm's once again and fought for the wives and bairns, I don't have all the exact details but the outcome of her struggle was, one old shilling a week from the National Assistance for fishermen and their families in times of bad weather.
Ask your granny or your grandad if they remember Labour Liz I am sure someone will remember a tale or two about her

michellem
07-Mar-05, 03:30
cheers Cuz,

do you have any idea where tho old radio scripts are now?

elizabeth forbes
07-Mar-05, 15:26
I last saw them with our granny before she died, you would need to ask your mam if any of our uncles or the Sutherlands have them,all I remember about them was the editor's name:- Elizabeth Adair @ the BBC, they might have a copy script in their archives.

Helen47
12-Apr-08, 07:56
Where do you come in the family. Have we met. Are you Katie's girl. How many children in your family. Can you name Labour Liz's children. Jock and
Janet's children. Uncle Addie used to live over the other side. Do you remember Netta and Wills they had two boys I think one died cancer. There are so many Sutherlands I get mixed up. So many Jimmy's Adam's Jon-George's. I really would like information of the family. Helen

Helen47
12-Apr-08, 07:58
Okay, where do you fit in with the family.

Gleber2
12-Apr-08, 13:16
Liz's brother, Sach Macleod, was married to my great aunt. Are there any members of that family posting as I have lost all contact with them since the sixties?

Tighsonas4
12-Apr-08, 21:15
LABOUR LIZ
i see that that sach has come into this now. doubt if any his immediate family would still be on the go knew markie quite well he was in willowbank TOO although his wife is still alive. but no doubt there must be some grandchildren around but dont know if theres any in town
regards tony

elizabeth forbes
12-Jul-08, 19:42
Hi Helen,
I don't think we have ever met but that is parr for the course, as with your Dad, the "family" went to all corners of this world looking for a brighter future when the " Silver Darling" industry finished along the east coast of Caithness. I have as much info as you need on this family. So PM me again and I will give you my Email addy.
Regards
"Cousin"
Elizabeth

brawboy1943
19-Oct-08, 16:13
Liz's brother, Sach Macleod, was married to my great aunt. Are there any members of that family posting as I have lost all contact with them since the sixties?

My grandfather, Donald Gunn McLeod, stonemason (1876-1934) was a brother of Sach and married Catherine Sutherland, sister to Labour Liz's husband Adam in 1902. My grandparents had a number of children, the following of whom survived - Alexander (Alec aka Ike) Jessie, John (Joe), Donald & Cathie. Joe was my father.

brawboy1943
19-Oct-08, 16:33
[quote=brawboy1943;447273]My grandfather, Donald Gunn McLeod, stonemason (1876-1934) was a brother of Sach and married Catherine Sutherland, sister to Labour Liz's husband Adam in 1902. My grandparents had a number of children, the following of whom survived - Alexander (Alec aka Ike) Jessie, John (Joe), Donald & Cathie. Joe was my father, and he died 1989 in Kirkcaldy.

elizabeth forbes
20-Oct-08, 15:34
We must be related, send your Email address to my P.M. box if you want to discuss this family.
Regards
Teeny

Tighsonas4
20-Oct-08, 21:53
its only recently that i saw her photo on somee thread in here and its been on several times tony