PDA

View Full Version : 'Caithness Courier' and 'John O' Groat Journa'l Community Coverage

Westsider3
08-Sep-12, 19:43
Anyone else noticed the distinct lack of reporting on our local shows in the Courier and Groat this summer. Every show/gala have had really poor coverage this year. It seems such a shame because in all these small communities there is a huge commitment involved to put on the event and to have such little coverage is such a shame.

It is also now apparently policy with these papers to only print the first place winners in competitions which seems a right shame as it kind of supports the thinking that 'first place is the only place'. I know my children, given the chance, love to see their names or even photos in the paper, I also like to cut it out for my scrap books. I think parents, grand-parents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc like to see it aswell.

Surely these papers should be reporting the good things happening in our communities, supporting and encouraging community events and creating a more positive image of Caithness, and not reporting gruesome reports on accidents, crimes (often petty) from the courtrooms and nearly half of each page in adverts? I don't think I'll bother buying them for much longer. Has anyone else noticed or have I just got a bee in my bonnet?

Mystical Potato Head
08-Sep-12, 19:51
Anyone else noticed the distinct lack of reporting on our local shows in the Courier and Groat this summer. Every show/gala have had really poor coverage this year. It seems such a shame because in all these small communities there is a huge commitment involved to put on the event and to have such little coverage is such a shame.

It is also now apparently policy with these papers to only print the first place winners in competitions which seems a right shame as it kind of supports the thinking that 'first place is the only place'. I know my children, given the chance, love to see their names or even photos in the paper, I also like to cut it out for my scrap books. I think parents, grand-parents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc like to see it aswell.

Surely these papers should be reporting the good things happening in our communities, supporting and encouraging community events and creating a more positive image of Caithness, and not reporting gruesome reports on accidents, crimes (often petty) from the courtrooms and nearly half of each page in adverts? I don't think I'll bother buying them for much longer. Has anyone else noticed or have I just got a bee in my bonnet?

Has there been a change of editor because i've noticed a couple of other "changes" as well.

starfish
08-Sep-12, 20:04
i notice there is less and less in it each week

Kodiak
08-Sep-12, 20:42
Less and less content and the Price is Way too high. For these reasons I have stopped buying both the John O'Groats Journal and the Caithness Courier. I find I have not missed these publications one litte bit as they are just not worth buying any more.

Alrock
08-Sep-12, 21:28
Less and less content....

Only look at it for the Jobs section & you know what.... you're right.... less & less content...

badger
10-Sep-12, 12:50
There is a new editor but the reduced news content started some time ago and I think is due to cuts higher up. All newspapers are struggling these days as there is so much free news online. Like everything else, if you don't use it you'll lose it.