PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone sure signal

camor
08-Sep-12, 12:20
Are there any orgers who have installed Vodafone sure signal at home? I bought the unit and hooked it up as per instructions. Activated it online and waited for it to configure. That was 4 days ago. I have contacted vodafone who told me that my internet provider needed to open ports ???? to allow it to work. I called sky, my broadband provider, who told me that the router was preconfigured and they couldn't alter anything. Now half of this is gobbledeygook to me so I was wondering if any others out there have fitted this along with sky broadband and have had similar issues or have any solutions to the problem. Thanks.

cptdodger
08-Sep-12, 12:32
I have the Vodafone sure signal box, and to be honest, without it, I would not get reception. I am with BT for Broadband, when I got the sure signal box, I had to activate it online, as you did, I also had to register my vodafone phone numbers as well. I think you can register up to 10 numbers. As far as I know, we did'nt need to open any more ports to get the box to work, presumably though we will have a different router from you. Sorry I can't be of more help, but we just plugged it in, left it about 24hrs and it worked.

camor
08-Sep-12, 12:47
Cheers, it seems to be a problem with sky broadband and their router. Can't seem to get a straight answer from either vodafone or sky. Gone through all the registrations and anything else needed. Still no joy.

kitty
08-Sep-12, 13:04
I've got one too. But i am also on BT and have had no problems. I've just googled it and there is quite a lot if forum talks on the subject with the sky broadband. Maybe if you sift through them it might help you.

EDDIE
08-Sep-12, 18:37
I've got one too. But i am also on BT and have had no problems. I've just googled it and there is quite a lot if forum talks on the subject with the sky broadband. Maybe if you sift through them it might help you.

So if u have bt broadband why would u want a vodafone sure signal box to get 3g when u can just use wifi connection on the router i just dont get if ure with bt u can sign up for free wifi with fon and there is fon hotspots everywere quite a lot in caithness

Serenity
08-Sep-12, 19:04
Try this forum - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/

cptdodger
08-Sep-12, 19:53
So if u have bt broadband why would u want a vodafone sure signal box to get 3g when u can just use wifi connection on the router i just dont get if ure with bt u can sign up for free wifi with fon and there is fon hotspots everywere quite a lot in caithness

The issue is not who we (myself and Kitty) have Broadband with, it is the fact camor cannot get his sure signal box to work.

plumber
08-Sep-12, 22:43
I had to get Vodafone sure signal, to get my mobile to work, as I had no signal on my mobile while in the house. But like others I am with BT and ha
ve had no problems, installation was easy.

kitty
09-Sep-12, 00:09
So if u have bt broadband why would u want a vodafone sure signal box to get 3g when u can just use wifi connection on the router i just dont get if ure with bt u can sign up for free wifi with fon and there is fon hotspots everywere quite a lot in caithness I don't have a sure signal box to get 3g for using on the internet. I have it to get a mobile signal in my house. This is what the sure signal is designed for. The very fact that you need a broadband connection for the sure signal to work sort of explains that fact.

vwgolf
09-Sep-12, 19:25
Hi. Camor the problem sounds like you have the old sagem router you will need an updated model. If that still does not work you will be best to move to wick where they have good signal. O2 have just put one on the meerkat its called a boost box shame they want around 150 bucks.

camor
09-Sep-12, 20:35
Thanks for the advice vwgolf but my router is the very latest type from sky:p. Moving to Wick is out of the question cos I wouldna be able to keep an eye on you. I know of some others that have bought boosters with ariels but these are prone to explosion when there is lightning about. Cheers anyway.

Bobinovich
10-Sep-12, 00:10
You might want to look here (http://portforward.com/) - gives details of how to open ports for many different router makes & models. As your problem is not for a specific piece of software you'll need to look at the default guide for your router, rather than for a software package.

Geo
10-Sep-12, 00:53
Post #11 any good? http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1386428

camor
11-Sep-12, 13:06
Got my Sure Signal to work. No help from Sky but got this on one of the forums, even a computer nugget like me got the system working. Thanks for all the feedback.

go here. . . http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-forwarding

install the program, choose sky router D-Link DS2640s [sky router] from the list, choose which ports to forward click a couple of buttons and *poof* PORTS FORWARDED!!!!!

if you get stuck, visit http://www.simpleportforwarding.com/