PDA

View Full Version : Midges are out already!

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 13:11
I have just come back in from the garden and there are midges everywhere! They might or might not be the biting type because I didn't stay around too long.
I have got a midgeater machine, I think it is still premature in the year for using it, but I will non-the-less be dusting it down in readiness...

EJS
28-Jan-05, 13:43
Hope you don't mind me asking but do you think the midgeater makes a difference? I thought about geting one last summer but as they are so expensive I thought I would ask others what they thought of them first - but haven't found too many people that have them. Would be great to hear what you think.

Cheers

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 14:01
Good question! and I haven't got a good answer except to give a longwinded set of events to let you decide for yourself.

In the summer 2003 we went to look at our house with the prospect to buy. I noticed the midge shield over one of the windows and asked 'Are the midges bad here?' The house is surrounded by trees so I wasn't surprised by the answer that I got. I thought that the vendor answered with honesty!!

Anyway, we bought the house and accepted the midge problem :( . In May 2004, I was surfing the net and chanced upon the Midgeater website and bought one . It requires a scent/bait tablet and bottle of patio gas every 4 weeks. So I thought I would use it only at the height of the midge season june-August.

During that time, I emptied the bag 3 times (It was full of midges yuk [disgust] ) and I was able to sit outside on all warm windless nights with a glass of wine and only suffer the occasional bite.

I can't compare 2003 with 2004 directly but all the indications show that they do work!! :)

EJS
28-Jan-05, 14:19
Thanks for that. Yeah I heard that you are supposed to start the midgeater at least six weeks before the height of the season. During these weeks you should remove 60% of the biting females and slow down the breeding pattern. This means that when the season is in full swing there are many less midges around and the chances of getting bitten gets less and less every week - until the system is switshed off - and then it all starts again the next year !!

I think I might invest in one this year as I love to sit outside on a calm night but the little blitters are the main reason I don't. My other half gets eaten alive so won't even venture out to the garden on a still night !! We do get some fantastic sunsets up here and despite what most people think of the weather I think the summer here is great!! Long light evenings - perfect if you can find a clam spot - just right for comsuming the odd glass of red wine outside.

Did you buy your midgeater locally? I have seen them on the internet mostly US companies and they are loads cheaper than here in the UK.

katarina
28-Jan-05, 14:28
I have just come back in from the garden and there are midges everywhere! They might or might not be the biting type because I didn't stay around too long.
I have got a midgeater machine, I think it is still premature in the year for using it, but I will non-the-less be dusting it down in readiness...

Could you tell me how much they cost? I have a lovely patio area surrounded by trees - you can guess the rest!

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 14:57
You can find out about and order them from their website. (http://www.midgeater.co.uk)They are a Scottish company and it is designed specifically for the Scottish midge!

Midgeaters (http://www.midgeater.co.uk)

~~Tides~~
28-Jan-05, 17:59
It requires a scent/bait tablet and bottle of patio gas every 4 weeks.

So I take it it's not very environmently friendly then?

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 18:08
point taken, but that can be mitigated by reduced use of skin creams, midge nets and shields, illuminating the house and watching TV because you are forced inside on a summers evening, etc etc :lol:

~~Tides~~
28-Jan-05, 18:11
But dont even midges have there part to play in the food chain etc? :(
You could be doing serious environmental damage. Just wait till plants start dying after not being pollinated.

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 18:19
Oh yes, I forgot about bat food as well.

Out of the 90 species of midge, only the pregnant females of 2 species are responsible for the nuisance.

Incidently, I doubt if they pollenize plants or if they do, then I think there are plenty of other benign midges that can act as bat food or pollenizers.

cheers

katarina
28-Jan-05, 19:46
But dont even midges have there part to play in the food chain etc? :(
You could be doing serious environmental damage. Just wait till plants start dying after not being pollinated.

It doesn't effect other countries - not having them I mean.
I must have swallowed a few in my time, as well as breathed them in - I wouldn't like to see the state of my innards! The worst place for midges must be the camster cairns. I took the children out there once and they ruined what could have been a good outing - I'm still coughing them up!

karl
29-Jan-05, 12:09
lets see, kill off half the midge population in caithness and risk upsetting the eco system of the poor little midge, or sit in backgarden in peace and comfort !!!!!

"exterminate, exterminate"

Rheghead
29-Jan-05, 12:14
shouldn't that be 'and sit back in garden in comfort'?

Anyway, 'Destroy zem all!!' :)

karl
29-Jan-05, 12:42
ah ok, never realised that the forum requires perfect english and the use of good grammer.

Rheghead
29-Jan-05, 13:08
I wasn't quite sure whether you agreed with the mass destruction of a nuisance or you were concerned with upsetting the delicate natural food chain. Don't think I was being pernickety on your grammar. My intention was really to establish clearly how you felt , sorry if it came over in a way that I didn't intend.

~~Tides~~
29-Jan-05, 21:52
Talking about wildlife,

Geese Visit Caithness.org

Geese have internet access now? [lol]

katarina
01-Feb-05, 18:00
Ee ballad o’ ee midgie

In Caithness in ee summer, sometimes ee nights are fine,
I looked oot at ma gairden, and the jungle that wis mine.
Ah thought it wid be perfect, till hev a place till rest,
Wi a glass o’ wine and music, while ee sun sunk in ee west.

Ah hired a manny wae’ a mower, an’ a chainsaw for a fee,
Till cut doon trees an’ bushes an’ build a patio for me
Ah boucht a swing chair oot o’ Lidl’s for a price ah thoucht wis richt
An lit candles all around id, for id wis a bonny nicht.

Ah boucht a cd oot o’ woollies, o’ Addie Harper’s band
And retired to ma patio wi’ glass o’ wine in hand.
What a gran’ way till unwind, when ee day is done, I thoucht
An’ settled back in ecstasy wi’ a new book a’d just boucht.

An’ when the nights grow cooler an winter looms again
Ah’ll still use ma bonny patio, as long as id disna rain
Wi a few lighties roond about, the place shood look first class
An Ah’ll surf the net for a heater, wan that works on gas.

Boot lurkan in ee bushes wis things ah couldna see
A whole squad o midgies, joost waitan’ for thir tea
Noo, boys, says dad, call yir wifes and all yir bairnies too
For we’ll be dining oot ee nicht – there’s plenty here till chew.

Well, here wis ah, settled back, sheltered fae wind an’ weather
When all at wance ah wis attacked by midgies and their fayther.
They bit ma face, they bit ma hans, they nestled in ma clothes
They’re on my book they’re in ma wine, they’re even up ma nose!

Ah took till ma heels intil ee hoose an’ washed ma face wi watter,
Ah grabbed ee groat till take a swipe, the peedie pests till splatter,
Ah swiped id here, ah swiped id there, till ma arm wis dirlan’
But the midgies they came back for more, they were na’ even keelan’

Noo , at ma bonnie patio Ah gaze wi’ sorry hert,
The beasties fill the peaceful air, lookan’ for desert
ah’m away till surf ee net, no for an ootside heater
Cos’ next time ah go on ma swing, ah’ll hev a midgie eater!

skydivvy
04-Feb-05, 19:02
very good! Did you write that yourself?

Rheghead
05-Feb-05, 01:33
Excellent!!

katarina
05-Feb-05, 12:33
I think I can go out now - the rain's washed them all away!

Mr P Cannop
05-Feb-05, 13:03
lets hope so