PDA

View Full Version : So if you legally own a shotgun

ducati
06-Sep-12, 09:46
You are allowed to shoot buglers? I might have misread that bit.

You know, in the heat of the moment you go and get the keys to the gun safe, unlock it and take out the shotgun, go and get the ammo from somewhere else, load it, go and find a couple of buglers and shoot them. Then reload and shoot a couple more.

The police seem to think this is fine and don't even take you to court for a second opinion.

golach
06-Sep-12, 10:06

You know, in the heat of the moment you go and get the keys to the gun safe, unlock it and take out the shotgun, go and get the ammo from somewhere else, load it, go and find a couple of buglers and shoot them. Then reload and shoot a couple more.

The police seem to think this is fine and don't even take you to court for a second opinion.

Not sure about shooting Buglers [lol] But what right have burglars got of just breaking into an occupied property. The couple had been broken into before, I support the house owners.

pumkin
06-Sep-12, 10:29
I don't disbelieve you ducati, but where did you get this information from?

I remember hearing a news report from 2004-ish where a burglar broke into an elderly woman's house (I think this was in England) via the kitchen window. When the burglar got through the window, he slipped onto the draining board where the dishes were drying. Lo & behold, he stabs himself on a knife that is on the draining board.

Now check this out.

The auld wifie tends to him, phones an ambulance & the next thing she hears is that she's getting charged for careless behaviour! :eek: Needless to say, the charges did get dropped.

ducati
06-Sep-12, 10:39
Not sure about shooting Buglers [lol] But what right have burglars got of just breaking into an occupied property. The couple had been broken into before, I support the house owners.

Come on, don't miss the point!

ducati
06-Sep-12, 10:42
I don't disbelieve you ducati, but where did you get this information from?

I remember hearing a news report from 2004-ish where a burglar broke into an elderly woman's house (I think this was in England) via the kitchen window. When the burglar got through the window, he slipped onto the draining board where the dishes were drying. Lo & behold, he stabs himself on a knife that is on the draining board.

Now check this out.

The auld wifie tends to him, phones an ambulance & the next thing she hears is that she's getting charged for careless behaviour! :eek: Needless to say, the charges did get dropped.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=news%20burglers%20shot&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thisisleicestershire.co.uk%2F Welby-farm-shooting-couple-won-t-charged%2Fstory-16837929-detail%2Fstory.html&ei=qm9IUKPQNcSl0QWw14GoCQ&usg=AFQjCNEqztv4p4dCy-O4Bmq_Iv3iwBwBJA

*Martin*
06-Sep-12, 11:20
I would've done the same if I was in that position and had a shot gun.

weezer 316
06-Sep-12, 11:21
Sorry. If someone breaks into your house and get their head blown off then so be it. Shouldnt be easy to get a hold of weapons but you should be able to defend you own home against intruders. The full weight of the law should be behind you.

annemarie482
06-Sep-12, 11:23

I'm with the home owners on this one too,
The courts obviously aren't scaring the burglars into stopping it......
And if it comes down to them or me? It sure as hell ain't gonna be me!

midi2304
06-Sep-12, 11:38

If I think those burglars may put me (or especially my wife and kid's) lives at risk then yes, I expect the court to be fully on my side when I calmly walk to my gun locker (I don't own any guns by the way - hypothetically), take out the shotgun, load it and kill the intruders. If it's a couple of idiots clearly just trying to nick my telly, fair enough.

The problem is, it's very difficult to know whether burglars are likely to hurt your family at any point during a home invasion. It could just be a couple of dafties trying to steal your laptop or it could be someone with much more serious intent. In this respect, in your own home with the potential for your family to be at harm, you absolutely should be allowed to defend yourself, with lethal force if necessary. The courts have got this one spot on.

tonkatojo
06-Sep-12, 11:42

I know what your getting at, the weapon being locked in gun cabinet etc as is required by law, but I sure as hell would do the same,that is shoot the buglers (burglars) and face the consequences later at least I would live to tell my side of it. More of them should be shot then perhaps the thieves will realise the hard fact they are in the wrong.

ducati
06-Sep-12, 12:20
OK. I was expecting all that and I would defend my home too. But, I think there is a difference between grabbing a poker or a kitchen knife and what apparently happened here.

If we all want a fair society and this sort of thing is going to be allowed. Why can't I go get a shotgun licence and a shotgun for home defence and keep it under the bed?

Rheghead
06-Sep-12, 12:32
I would have blasted them but when the police came around to investigate the dead bodies on the floor then I would have claimed that the burglars had intruded just seconds after I was just in through the door from a bit of shooting and it was all to hand anyway.

Connor.
06-Sep-12, 13:47
If the intruders were to have a weapon (there is no way of knowing) then you are better with a firearm from distance than to grab a poker/knife and be up close and personal.

I would definitely side with the family in their right to shoot intruders. Whether the weapon was to hand or not, even to threaten the intruders with, if they had to take a shot so be it.

I would of done the exact same thing.

newweecroft
06-Sep-12, 14:19
Well Ducati you can, Firearms controll and shotgun controll are very different. Every person has the right to own a shotgun, but for a firearm you must prove good reason. Plus you do not need a gun cabinet for a single shotgun just a locking gun clamp. Also shot gun cartridges do not have to be kept locked up.And finally Ducati you must be seriously strong and well trained to take on assailants with nothing more than a poker. Either that or deluded. Even a young whippet could be a free running boxer with a knife and a head full of speed. You going to risk yourself just out of the arrogance that you can take him before you are fatally wounded? Bolloks no, he breaks in uninvited he should not have the right to leave.

ducati
06-Sep-12, 14:32
Well Ducati you can, Firearms controll and shotgun controll are very different. Every person has the right to own a shotgun, but for a firearm you must prove good reason. Plus you do not need a gun cabinet for a single shotgun just a locking gun clamp. Also shot gun cartridges do not have to be kept locked up.And finally Ducati you must be seriously strong and well trained to take on assailants with nothing more than a poker. Either that or deluded. Even a young whippet could be a free running boxer with a knife and a head full of speed. You going to risk yourself just out of the arrogance that you can take him before you are fatally wounded? Bolloks no, he breaks in uninvited he should not have the right to leave.

Blimey, I thought you needed a good reason to have a shotgun? So any Tom Dick or Psycho can get one? jeez

gleeber
06-Sep-12, 14:39
Blimey, I thought you needed a good reason to have a shotgun? So any Tom Dick or Psycho can get one? jeez
Yes I thought that too.
Its one thing reading some of the stuff posted on the org and its another trying to understand it. Some of these people may be our neighbours or workmates but given the right opportunity they would blow someones head off. Just talking about it makes more possible and thats why conspiracy crime is seen sometimes as being on a level with the crime itself. I can understand the anger when someone desecrates your home but in a civilised society we need to behave civilised and in my book talking about blowing someones head off is not civilised in fact I wouldnt be surprised if its not a crime so maybe you should be careful when exposing your innermost thoughts on a community website.
There needs to be a definite barrier between the thought and the act and thats the law. Otherwise we would be nothing.

newweecroft
06-Sep-12, 17:31
Yes and no, its all down to the house of lords, the toffs don't want anyone interfering with their hobbies so they made sure that shotguns were kept fairly unrestricted, and ammo doesn't have be stored in a locked cabinet and can be purchased by people without a certificate so one can send the butler to the store when one runs out. However do not think for one second that the police are not very very competent in this minefield. They have a lot of discretion over the laws and more common sense is applied by firearms licencing teams than anywhere else in our legal system. Almost all gun related crime is committed by people with illegal firearms purchased on the black market, the holders of shotgun and firearm certificates are some of the most law abiding in the country because even a minor crime such as an overheated arguement will see you loose your guns.The police really are top in the FLT. You have your history looked into both at the CRB and medical level, any history of misbehavior or depression and you are out.I may have said anyone can get one but that does not mean they will give one to everyone.I have yet to meet any one with a firearm who is a thug, idiot or twot and you never will.All the anti gun lobby is sensationalist, if you want to see an end to gun crime you need to remove the illegal guns not the legal ones.There is an adaptation of an old sayingIf you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns.This was proved true after dunblane, all legally held pistols were destroyed but today there are more pistols in circulation that in 97. Why, because the criminals don't care about the law. They bring in pistols by the boat load from eastern europe.

newweecroft
06-Sep-12, 17:48
And in reply to gleeners tirade of garbage, two points.If you are not willing to kill to protect the life of your child you have no right to have one.And even the Human rights act has a provision that it is our right to use lethal force if there is a threat to human life.That's to protect any human not just to protect your own children.Most humans understand the concept of kill or be killed and kill or die to protect your loved ones.I would love to live in a world where this was not even a concept let alone a possibility but be real this is not heaven!It's actually why I moved up here, the highlands is about as close as one can get to a living in safety.

ducati
06-Sep-12, 19:07
the highlands is about as close as one can get to a living in safety.

Apart from all the guns :eek:

billmoseley
06-Sep-12, 19:49
i live in a village with a lot of guns we all get together for shoots. safety comes first we are all sane and sensible people the only thing that get hurt is a few clay pigeons but not many when i'm shooting [lol]

newweecroft
06-Sep-12, 20:44
That's the point Ducati, the guns in Caithness are all legally held and as such are no danger to anyone (lest you attempt rape or murder) legal shooters are not a threat to the public or civilisation.Worry about guns only when you next visit Glasgow or edinbrugh there they are rife, illegal and used for the sole purpose of threat or pain against others.Please sign up for a days clay shooting or go along to a 22club on guest day and meet the owners and have a go you will soon learn the respect and safety that shooters hold paramount and hopefully gain an understanding if not a love for these tools.Plus never forget that the types of firearm legally held in GB can do less harm in the hands of a psychopath than a car can, we have none of the semi or fully automatic weapons of the states. The tragedies of Brevik and the batman attacks would never be possible here with legal guns.

Southern-Gal
06-Sep-12, 21:33
I feel so sorry for Tony Martin. All that time spent in jail for shooting a burglar. Not fair at all. If only he could have had the same verdict.

ducati
06-Sep-12, 21:58
That's the point Ducati, the guns in Caithness are all legally held and as such are no danger to anyone (lest you attempt rape or murder) legal shooters are not a threat to the public or civilisation.Worry about guns only when you next visit Glasgow or edinbrugh there they are rife, illegal and used for the sole purpose of threat or pain against others.Please sign up for a days clay shooting or go along to a 22club on guest day and meet the owners and have a go you will soon learn the respect and safety that shooters hold paramount and hopefully gain an understanding if not a love for these tools.Plus never forget that the types of firearm legally held in GB can do less harm in the hands of a psychopath than a car can, we have none of the semi or fully automatic weapons of the states. The tragedies of Brevik and the batman attacks would never be possible here with legal guns.

Some people on here have bloody short memories.

ducati
06-Sep-12, 22:08

I'm an RAF Marksman. ( I should say have been) I know about guns. I worry about the need for so many to be kept in the home that's all.

squidge
06-Sep-12, 22:30
I absolutely agree ducati - i cannot understand the need to keep guns at home at all. As for scaring burglars off well in my experience 4 girls sleeping in sleeping bags on the floor in the front room gave them such a fright that they fled. Oh and I keep a half naked scotsman with a bushy red beard and a handy claymore for that specific job.

smithp
06-Sep-12, 22:46
I'm an RAF Marksman. ( I should say have been) I know about guns. I worry about the need for so many to be kept in the home that's all.

An RAF Marksman? I knew things were tight, but we really are in trouble. How did you get the gun out of the cockpit window?

golach
06-Sep-12, 23:40
Oh and I keep a half naked scotsman with a bushy red beard and a handy claymore for that specific job.

Squidge, is keeping a half naked Scotsman with a red beard and a claymore, allowed these days?

squidge
07-Sep-12, 00:41
It is...... but only if the scotsman is in the bed and the claymore on the wall.......... not if its the other way round

Kenn
07-Sep-12, 00:45
I have a horror of guns whether sporting/marksman or any other use.
I have never understood the need to shoot anything.

ducati
07-Sep-12, 07:29
An RAF Marksman? I knew things were tight, but we really are in trouble. How did you get the gun out of the cockpit window?

Opening the window at 30,000 feet is err...discouraged. :eek:

My dad was a small arms instructor in the RAF Regiment. Instructing on everything from service revolvers and rifles through Vickers mounted machine guns to 3 inch mortars (now thats what you want for home defence) :lol: