PDA

View Full Version : GU10 LED Bulbs

Aestus57
06-Sep-12, 08:48
Has anyone tried these bulbs as replacements for the 50W Halogen bulbs which cost a fortune to run?

I've got a six light fitting in the kitchen into which I'm thinking of putting these LED bulbs but it seems that its a bit of a minefield choosing the right one. Some people say the light output is nowhere near as good, some say the brightness falls off after a few days of use, some say they don't last anywhere near as long as the manufacturers claim.

At prices anywhere between £5 to £30 per bulb I don't want an expensive failed experiment!

So go on ..... whats your experience of these bulbs...is it a :) or a :( ?

At the moment I'm totally :confused:

Lavenderblue2
06-Sep-12, 09:30
I buy mine on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001MZPTGM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) they are as good as any. :)

Birons
06-Sep-12, 09:49
Your right, it is a minefield and I sell sell them.

I did an experiment in our kitchen at home because the halogen ones were blowing very frequently, its been 3 years now and none of the six we replaced has blown yet.

I have now replaced a couple of banks of lights in the shop and the ones I leave on at night in the window are the LED ones and they certainly use a great deal less electricity than the halogen.

You then have to decide on warm light or white light.

My conclusion is we will convert a bit at a time to make it affordable (we have over 50 to replace) and the long term benefits on both electricity used and the saving on the amount halogens that needs replacing should work in favour of LED.

I hope this helps.

www.birons.co.uk

Aestus57
06-Sep-12, 10:21
Thats very helpful indeed, think I'll come in and have a chat with you next week.

Thanks Birons

mums angels
06-Sep-12, 18:07
We use them in my new kitchen and bought some in LED Thurso for £10 a bulb , as we needed 8 I bought 4 from there to get us started and then bought 4 online at a cheaper price but found when I got the cheaper ones they were putting out a very stark almost blue light so was a waste of money so went back to LED.s for the extra 4 as at least I knew I was getting good quality , it's only been 6 months but none have blown . Usually by now I would have had to change one or two so so far I'm very happy .

They take a few minutes to warm up but give out plenty of light

Even Chance
07-Sep-12, 08:27
Blowing is not an issue with LED lamps at all. You'll get bored of the light fitting and replace it before the actual lamps! lol
I also have these fittings, and know that LED's give slightly less of a lumen output with regards to the old style power hungry halogen lamps. I have not changed mine yet, but will when time and funding allows. Go for it, but as stated, decide on warm/blue/white light output first.
Hope this helps.