PDA

View Full Version : Asda

JimH
07-Dec-06, 14:42
I emailed Hollyrood for an explanation of the Asda saga and the reply was :=-

Thank you for your email of 28 November addressed to the Deputy Minister for Communities, about the proposed development of an ASDA store at Pennyland Farm, Thurso, Caithness. I have been asked to reply.
While noting the objections brought out in your letter about the call in of this development proposal, I should explain that responsibility for dealing with planning applications and local planning matters rests, in the first instance, with the planning authority. The Scottish Ministers would consider intervening only where issues of national as opposed to local significance were involved.
I should point out that there are certain prescribed circumstances, detailed in the Town and Country Planning (Notification of Applications) (Scotland) Direction 1997, where Scottish Ministers require to be notified of a planning authority’s intention to grant planning permission. This procedure allows the Scottish Ministers the opportunity to consider whether the issues involved merit calling in the application for their own determination or if the Council can be left to deal with the matter as they see fit.
The Highland Council duly notified the planning application to the Scottish Ministers for their consideration as the Council had an interest in the site and there was a substantial body of objections.
Having considered the proposal, the Scottish Ministers, decided in terms of Section 46 of the Town and Country planning (Scotland) Act 1997, to require the application to be referred to them for determination. Accordingly, a Direction was issued on 20 November 2006. The Direction was given in view of the proposed development’s possible implications for policies in the Highland Structure Plan, the Caithness Local Plan relating to town centre regeneration, SPP8 – Town Centres and Retailing, SPP17 - Planning for Transport, NPPG11 – Sport, Physical Recreation and Open Space and Circular 12/1996 – Planning Agreements.
The Scottish Ministers have decided, in view of the nature of this proposal, its possible implications and the volume of representations received both for and against the proposal, that the matter should be considered at a public local inquiry. Accordingly, the papers have been referred to the Inquiry Reporters Unit who will be contacting relevant parties in due course about the arrangements for the inquiry. The Scottish Executive Inquiry Reporters Unit at 4, The Courtyard, Callendar Business Park, Callendar Road, Falkirk, FK1 1XR will be able to give you further information on procedure and timetable for the inquiry.
I hope the above information is of assistance to you.
Yours sincerely

Comments please in a sealed (self destructing) envelope addressed to Penguin Parliament. Antartica.

engiebenjy
07-Dec-06, 15:08
Well, that's nice and clear then!!

Max
07-Dec-06, 18:31
I got an identical reply!

veekay
07-Dec-06, 20:04
How much is all this costing us tax payers? Surely the powers that be must have something more pressing to waste their time with. Oh and I thought that there were only 70 or so objections is that substantial.

Rheghead
07-Dec-06, 23:56
Since the ASDA application is not of national importance, I can't see anyother reason why it can't go through.:eek:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
08-Dec-06, 00:28
Bring back the days of yore when the answer was aye or naw.C'mon who disnae remember yer fitbaw going into next doors neighbours garden.Ye either got it back(Aye) or the bread knife through it...(Naw)

Humerous Vegetable
08-Dec-06, 09:35
I think that's probably the old bread knife then, so far as Asda's concerned. If Caithness councillors had not voted against the proposal at the 1st stage of the process, this would never had ended up at Holyrood. They must be so proud of what they've achieved for Caithness.

veekay
08-Dec-06, 13:11
Can someone out there please tell me what 'council interest' there is in the area of the proposed ASDA build. As sited in the reply from Holyrood.
Perhaps we are to get a full blown leisure complex -NOT.

alfie
08-Dec-06, 13:17
Hey why can't the use the Mart site then......... as of Friday 22nd the doors close for the last time. Perfect place, no carriage as the train would stop right by their front door!

henry20
08-Dec-06, 13:31
Where would people park!? Its bad enough on mart day!

alfie
08-Dec-06, 13:39
How big do you expect the shop to be? There will be loads of room when you remove all the pens etc.

gollach
08-Dec-06, 15:40
How big do you expect the shop to be? There will be loads of room when you remove all the pens etc.

But that space might be needed if the council go ahead with a new ppp high school....