PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P John Coffey aka michael Clarke duncan

annemarie482
04-Sep-12, 01:36
i'm sad to hear the news that Michael Clarke Duncan,
best known For his role as "John Coffey" in one of my all time favourite films "The Green Mile"
has died following recovery complications from a heart attack in mid-July. He was 54..
i have watched this film so many times i've lost count, and it has the same effect on me now as the first time I ever watched it. Its a film that draws you in without you realising, never have i got through the execution scene without balling my eyes out. that last walk of the "green mile" puts a lump in my throat every time :( a sure sign of a character played with such power and convicition by a truely talented actor.
rip big man xxx

Here's a memorable clip, but I've chosen one purposely that misses out john coffeys end,
as we can all remember how sad those scenes were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSo5dDoXYAM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kevin Milkins
04-Sep-12, 07:50
Is that John Coffee, only speald different.

One of my favorite films of all time. Very sad.

R.I.P Big man.

Tilly Teckel
04-Sep-12, 07:52
It's the mark of a great story, well told and superbly acted, that we can be so moved again and again. One of my favourites too.

Bobinovich
04-Sep-12, 10:38
The Green Mile is definitely up there with the best of 'em - it's no surprise to see it and Shawshank Redemption in so many people's top 10... outstanding storylines & superb acting. RIP big guy.

pumkin
04-Sep-12, 10:44
The Green Mile, & The Shawshank Redemption. Weren't these two films both written by Stephen King? I'm sure they were.

Rheghead
04-Sep-12, 10:50
He was one actor who on first impressions you would only think could ever fill niche parts but he was starred in so many varied roles and acted them out brilliantly.

Tilly Teckel
04-Sep-12, 11:58
The Green Mile, & The Shawshank Redemption. Weren't these two films both written by Stephen King? I'm sure they were.

They were; two of his books which were made into great films - unlike some!

joxville
04-Sep-12, 16:20
A very nice post annemarie, it echoes my thoughts. The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption are my top two favourite films; Michael Clarke Duncan played such a powerful part, a character we could all believe in, with such conviction, that you couldn't help being touched by his scenes in the film. I've enjoyed many of his films but The Green Mile will always be the standout one for me. It's a measure of how good an actor he was, and how as John Coffey he touched so many people, that my Facebook page is full of posts from people expressing their shock and sadness at his passing. I watch the film every time it's on, I also watch it on DVD when I've not seen it for a few weeks, the next time will be with sadness, and probably a tear in my eye too. RIP Michael, you really are with the angels now.