PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed

Kevin Milkins
02-Sep-12, 16:30
I have heard a few nightmare stories about credit cards and peoples accounts being compromised, but until today I have never experienced any problems at all.

I dropped Mr's M off at Tesco to do some shopping and I went to fill up with fuel, I put £61.46 worth of diesel in and with the 5P per liter discount I was pleased to pay £59.31, until I tried to pay for it with my trusty old credit card.:eek: The lass whispered, "sorry sir, your card has been rejected".:~(

I have had a card for longer than I can remember and until recently my credit limit was £15000.00, but they wrote to me earlier in the year to advise that they would be dropping it to £5000.00 because my spending in recent years rarely go over £1000.00, and I'm happy enough with that.

Fortunately I got my debit card with me and I paid for my fuel and left. I phoned Mr's M and her card had been declined at the checkout as well, but was able to muster up enough cash to pay for her shopping.

I thought my card had been compromised and got onto them a bit sharpish. After a lengthy session of press 1 press 2, etc, followed by how important my call was to them I got to speak to an operator and it transpired that instead of dropping my limit to £5000.00, they had inadvertently dropped it to £50.00. I have to say that the lad that spoke to dealt with it well, put my limit back up, credited my account with £10.00 for the inconvenience and the cost of a call.

It now seems that I have joined the ranks of the many people that seem to get problems with there card provider, but we all make mistakes I suppose.

Dialyser
02-Sep-12, 17:02
It could have been worse. When I started reading your post, I thought it was going to end with someone gaining access to your details and ripping you off.

Glad that wasn't the case. I think that when banks/credit card companies make mistakes, the compensation should be based on their own rules for exceeding overdraft limits etc.

Iffy
02-Sep-12, 17:55
Good to know that all ended well ! Personally (altho I use it a lot) I hate credit cards ! LOL !

Beat Bug
02-Sep-12, 19:25
We had a similar problem a few years ago when we we on holiday. We were paying for a group holiday, and the hotel wanted to guarantee the card to the tune of £350. Not a problem, as they wouldn't be actually taking the money until the end of our stay. A few days later we were getting petrol for the car, and the card was rejected. A phone call to them revealed that the hotel had only keyed in one 0 too many, I..e. £3,500. That put us over our limit, resulting in us not being ale to use the card for the rest of the holiday. Fortunately we had my card to see us through the rest of the holiday.

secrets in symmetry
03-Sep-12, 00:27
A few months ago, I received a phone call from my credit card company complaining that I hadn't paid the previous month's minimum payment. I told them I had paid, and I had the receipt to prove it.

On further investigation, it turned out that my bank had transferred £1.50 from my current account to the credit card company - instead of £1,500! The bank's apologies were so cringeworthy that I didn't enjoy them....

badger
03-Sep-12, 12:38
I have had a card for longer than I can remember and until recently my credit limit was £15000.00, but they wrote to me earlier in the year to advise that they would be dropping it to £5000.00 because my spending in recent years rarely go over £1000.00, and I'm happy enough with that.

Fortunately I got my debit card with me and I paid for my fuel and left. I phoned Mr's M and her card had been declined at the checkout as well, but was able to muster up enough cash to pay for her shopping.

I thought my card had been compromised and got onto them a bit sharpish. After a lengthy session of press 1 press 2, etc, followed by how important my call was to them I got to speak to an operator and it transpired that instead of dropping my limit to £5000.00, they had inadvertently dropped it to £50.00. I have to say that the lad that spoke to dealt with it well, put my limit back up, credited my account with £10.00 for the inconvenience and the cost of a call.

Kevin I had identical problem this weekend but was lucky as I had logged into my a/c to download monthly statement so saw the warning signs and didn't try to use my card although had to change payment for a couple of online purchases. Hung on for them to answer the phone nearly 20 mins. so was wondering how many other people were affected. My "new" limit was £35 but I'm interested you got yours back up straightaway as the person I spoke to said it couldn't be dealt with until today. Posted a furious letter of complaint off this morning [evil] . Just logged in again and it's still not sorted !!

Kevin Milkins
03-Sep-12, 13:27
Kevin I had identical problem this weekend but was lucky as I had logged into my a/c to download monthly statement so saw the warning signs and didn't try to use my card although had to change payment for a couple of online purchases. Hung on for them to answer the phone nearly 20 mins. so was wondering how many other people were affected. My "new" limit was £35 but I'm interested you got yours back up straightaway as the person I spoke to said it couldn't be dealt with until today. Posted a furious letter of complaint off this morning [evil] . Just logged in again and it's still not sorted !!

Badger, the lad I spoke to did mention that I was not the only one to suffer the same indignity and was very keen to put things right and close the complaint. It was 3.45pm yesterday, (Sunday) that I manged to get through and once we had established they where in the wrong he said, " can I put you on hold so that the team that deals with reinstating the account to what it should be leave work at 4.00pm" . Once he had put my credit limit back to what it should have been he asked what would I like them to do to put things right, I asked him to pay for the call and inconvenience and we agreed on £10.00 to close the complaint.

Kodiak
03-Sep-12, 15:02
My answer to this is to get Rid of all your Credit Cards. They are far too costly and can get you into serious debt.

What is an excellent replacement is the CashPlus PrePaid Mastercard Credit Card. You get all the same Protection that you get with Credit Cards, such as protection if you buy an item over £100 and it is not merchantable quality. You can get your wages or Benefit paid directly into the account. You get a FREE Direct Debit Service and wont charge you even if you have a D/D Refused due to Insufficent Funds. They will also give you a Instant loan of up to £1000 to cover Bills when you are short.

As it is a Prepaid Card there is no interest to pay but you do pay £4.95 a Month for Admin. and that is not bad at all as I am sure most people pay more than £60 a year in Interest on their Credit Cards.

They have 100% Acceptance and there is NO Credit Checks either.

Lots of other things like up to 4 Cards per account, Overdraft Facility, CashBack, iAdvance, OnLine Banking, Currency Cards which is great when going on Holiday and of course it is a recognised Credit Card and each account has its own Bank Account Number so it is easy to make payments into.

I have had one of these for about 6 Years and it was the best thing I ever did and if anyone is interested below is the link to their web site.

http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/

Shaggy
04-Sep-12, 18:31
£1500 minimum payment on a credit card? your card provider must love you. :lol:

oldmarine
04-Sep-12, 19:11
I have heard a few nightmare stories about credit cards and peoples accounts being compromised, but until today I have never experienced any problems at all.

I dropped Mr's M off at Tesco to do some shopping and I went to fill up with fuel, I put £61.46 worth of diesel in and with the 5P per liter discount I was pleased to pay £59.31, until I tried to pay for it with my trusty old credit card.:eek: The lass whispered, "sorry sir, your card has been rejected".:~(

It now seems that I have joined the ranks of the many people that seem to get problems with there card provider, but we all make mistakes I suppose.

My bank credit card caused me to become a victim of stolen identity. Bank of America reimbursed me for lost money, but the identity problem continued. The problem occurred when my new card never reached me. Don't know if it was an inside job (employees of the bank) or employees of the postal service.