PDA

View Full Version : William Wallace Street

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Dec-06, 05:13
Spotted a rather interesting wee film on Kevin Williamson's blogspot recently. It features a group of young - and not so young - activists who replaced the Princes Street and Royal Mile street signs in Edinburgh with that of William Wallace Street and the Wallace Mile a year last August. I guess they just didn't want any more British Union symbolism adorning the streets of their city.

http://kevinwilliamson.blogspot.com/

Viva The Revolutionary Council of The Peoples Front of Street Sign Liberation!!!

golach
07-Dec-06, 10:12
What a load of left wing student stupidity!!!
What has the names of the streets of the Royal Mile got to do with freedom? The 5 streets that make up the Royal Mile i.e. Castlehill. Lawnmarket, High Street. Canongait, and finally Abbey Strand, are the origional street names and are the historical names of one of the most famous and most historical streets in Edinburgh.
Also the streets of the "New Town" i.e Princes Street, George Street, Queen Street and all the other streets in that famous grid system designed by James Craig in 1766 at the time of the "Enlightenment", this was a time when Scotland was coming into a new and powerful era and all the "New Town" street names were given the Hanovarian link with the royal family of the time.
William Wallace in my opinion has his place of fame and statue at the gateway to the second most visited visitor site in the UK Edinburgh castle along with Robert the Bruce.

Leave Auld Reekies colourful past alone!!!!! Rant Over[lol]

_Ju_
07-Dec-06, 10:25
Golach, Golach, has being a student been such a long time ago that you don't remember the humour, sillyness, idealism, anger and angst????
My fond memories include being sure I was going to join the green peace corpe as soon as they became active in Portugal and spend the rest of my life photografing whales tails for identification purposes, while covertly freeing Willy and all the other marine mamals from their cruel captivity by night. And I was on about ecology all the time....I must have been a pain! The only thing that stopped me must have been the fact that the toilets and bathrooms in green peace facilities are often unisex, which was not to my liking!:lol:
How many of you out there did NOT do things as students that now might make you cringe for their stupidity or sillyness, but that you can't bring yourselves to regret?:roll:

golach
07-Dec-06, 10:57
Ju Ju, I was never a "Student", my parents could not afford to send me for further education, I started full time employment 10 days after I left school at the age of 15. So I never had the so called privilege of being a student, as such I never had the choice of saving the whale or vandalising historic street signs and all the other so called "High Spirits" that students get up to.
We in the central belt had to put up with the G8 summit debacle recently, and on good authority I know that most of the rioters co-ordination was done from Edinburgh Universities Student Union. I have no idea what that few days has cost the people of Scotland like me, but yet we are supposed to accept this kind of behaviour because they are Students. Aye Right!!!!!!!

Cattach
07-Dec-06, 11:06
Ju Ju, I was never a "Student", my parents could not afford to send me for further education, I started full time employment 10 days after I left school at the age of 15. So I never had the so called privilege of being a student, as such I never had the choice of saving the whale or vandalising historic street signs and all the other so called "High Spirits" that students get up to.
We in the central belt had to put up with the G8 summit debacle recently, and on good authority I know that most of the rioters co-ordination was done from Edinburgh Universities Student Union. I have no idea what that few days has cost the people of Scotland like me, but yet we are supposed to accept this kind of behaviour because they are Students. Aye Right!!!!!!!

I am with you Gollach. I was a student after leaving school to work for a time. I was mature enough to realise that I was being funded by the country to study - even if you have no grant and have to pay fees you are still funded to a great extent from taxation. I had a great time - best days of my life - but I did not have to get up to such nonsense. I had better, more mature and more enjoyable things to do.

Did someone say Green Peace Toilets were unisex!! Maybe some has just fiddled with the signs!!

_Ju_
07-Dec-06, 11:08
I am not talking about doing things that hurt others, just this idealistic nonesense.

anti-G8 manifestations are a right that is forfeight when they become violent (as they invariably do most of the time), in my opinion.

I am sorry that you did not have the privlege that I had of studying. My parents also did not have that privlege and did everything to make sure that my sister and I did, as I am sure your parents ( and all parents) would if they could.

My reply was meant in the light hearted fashion that this prank of placing a new sign over princess road or royal mile was.

DrSzin
07-Dec-06, 13:02
Two points here:
The sign-changing was not carried out by students. Pepsi and I both know who did it - they may be left-wing but they ain't students. And many of them sure ain't young either. The Scottish Patient is astroturfing and/or viral marketing! :cool:
I also know what Golach is referring to when he talks about G8 troublemakers coordinating things from Edinburgh University Students' Union. What he didn't say was that the coordinators were using the union as a base and they were not a group of Edinburgh University students. Such connotations are unworthy of you Golach. Whether or not the students' association should have allowed this group to use its premises and facilities is a different question.

golach
07-Dec-06, 15:00
DrSzin, I will amend my rant from "Left Wing Students" (and I apologise to all the hardworking and under funded real students, who I am sure would never think of vandalising the historical streets of our adopted city). I will however condem the alleged mid-age crisis vandals that both the Dr and Pepsi have knowledge of. I was of the assumption that this was a typical Rag Week type stunt, and wrongfully condemed the whole student fraternaity. :~(

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Dec-06, 19:08
Students, eh, Golach? Class. That's the best laugh I've had all day. You should come hang out with the Zapitistas sometime, ma man.

scotsboy
07-Dec-06, 19:16
Students is being kind to them, students now and again actually do something.

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Dec-06, 19:31
Students is being kind to them, students now and again actually do something.

(Snare roll followed swiftly with a damped crash cymble.)

scotsboy
07-Dec-06, 19:45
Your the journo an musician Pepsi, so I am sure your spelling of cymble (sic) is correct. I would have spelt is cymbal, but hey, what do I know..........unless you are trying to send me some kind of symbol........crash, bang wallop.....don't you just love onomatopoeia.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-06, 06:11
scotsboy; Johnny-kens-betters that try to pick up on a (so-called) journalists spelling mistakes have been attempting to do so ever since Rip van Winkle put his head down for a kip. Just like replying to them, they're a little bit boring. Dinnae drop your magnifying glass now, ya hear. There's a good lad.

Oh, and as an aesthetically-pleased about the written language as I am, the repetition of initial consonant sounds in neighbouring words (Alliteration), is far more interesting than the boom! bang! bap! of Onomatopoeia.

golach
08-Dec-06, 11:03
Students, eh, Golach? Class. That's the best laugh I've had all day. You should come hang out with the Zapitistas sometime, ma man.
Thanks for the invite Pepsi Challenge, best laugh I have for weeks, after scanning kevin williams blog, I will kindly refuse your offer to hang out with your zapitistas, I would be more inclined to hang them than hang out with them [lol]
And again "Class" not heard that phrase for a long time :lol:

Naefearjustbeer
08-Dec-06, 11:49
After a quick scan of the Block I have to say this image tickled me
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/2589/547/1600/274064/geri%20spice%20before%20and%20after%20independence .jpg

A good reason as there ever could be for an independant Scotland :D

scorrie
08-Dec-06, 13:19
Golach, Golach, has being a student been such a long time ago that you don't remember the humour, sillyness, idealism, anger and angst????
My fond memories include being sure I was going to join the green peace corpe as soon as they became active in Portugal and spend the rest of my life photografing whales tails for identification purposes, while covertly freeing Willy and all the other marine mamals from their cruel captivity by night. And I was on about ecology all the time....I must have been a pain! The only thing that stopped me must have been the fact that the toilets and bathrooms in green peace facilities are often unisex, which was not to my liking!:lol:
How many of you out there did NOT do things as students that now might make you cringe for their stupidity or sillyness, but that you can't bring yourselves to regret?:roll:

I don't know about photographing Whales but I am sure Golach might be up for "covertly freeing Willy" after a few malts on a Satuday night ;o)

scotsboy
08-Dec-06, 18:26
scotsboy; Johnny-kens-betters that try to pick up on a (so-called) journalists spelling mistakes have been attempting to do so ever since Rip van Winkle put his head down for a kip. Just like replying to them, they're a little bit boring. Dinnae drop your magnifying glass now, ya hear. There's a good lad.

Oh, and as an aesthetically-pleased about the written language as I am, the repetition of initial consonant sounds in neighbouring words (Alliteration), is far more interesting than the boom! bang! bap! of Onomatopoeia.

I actually didn't know how to spell cymbal, my spelling is terrible, plus I am far to quick on ma qwerty and often make typos.

On vernacular - I notice you use the word (sic) YA. I was reading a book the other da and it also had YA in it quite a lot, and was written by someone from the West Coast of Scotland - didn't sound quite right, sounded more Cockney/London.

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-06, 00:43
There really is no wrongs or rights - it's just all about who or whom you're writing for... I guess.

JAWS
09-Dec-06, 03:09
Would I be right in thinking that the "Sign Changers" came from a certain building on Princes Street named after somebody called John?

Would I be right in thinking that the Royal Mile runs between the Palace of Holyrood and Edinburgh Castle, that it was there long before the Act of Union and has more to do with Scottish History than anything to do with England and the English.

It seems that from a recent survey that 52% of Scots back Home Rule so no doubt the Scots Nats will be pleased. However, the same survey showed that 59% of the English felt exactly the same thing.
The same survey showed that a good proportion of the English wish to cast off Wales and Northern Ireland also.

Seems it's not so much a case of the English trying to prevent Scotland from escaping but more that they are holding the door open and have a big sign saying "This Way Out and close the door behind you!"

Through
09-Dec-06, 12:43
Would I be right in thinking that the "Sign Changers" came from a certain building on Princes Street named after somebody called John?

Would I be right in thinking that the Royal Mile runs between the Palace of Holyrood and Edinburgh Castle, that it was there long before the Act of Union and has more to do with Scottish History than anything to do with England and the English.

It seems that from a recent survey that 52% of Scots back Home Rule so no doubt the Scots Nats will be pleased. However, the same survey showed that 59% of the English felt exactly the same thing.
The same survey showed that a good proportion of the English wish to cast off Wales and Northern Ireland also.

Seems it's not so much a case of the English trying to prevent Scotland from escaping but more that they are holding the door open and have a big sign saying "This Way Out and close the door behind you!"

Oh I so hope you are right Jaws. We always hear how we are such a millstone round England's neck, but they just won't let us go. Doesn't add up does it? Independence for England, that gets my vote.

peedie
09-Dec-06, 14:30
i'm not sure i should post one here, being an art student i'm sure that opens me up to the worst of the student jokes!!! :roll:

i have to say tho theres always one! and set to the proclaimers to top it of. i'm not sure if that was supposed to be serious but i couldnt stop laughing. [lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-06, 17:48
As serious as cancer of the colon, peedie.

golach
09-Dec-06, 17:57

Jaws for your info, the middle aged children of the revolution shown, are travelling up Leith Street passing the King James Hotel, they have come from the Gay Triangle area of Edinburgh (know as that locally as a lot of the pubs in that are cater for the Gay community) the building they stick their first label on is the Barmoral Hotel on the corner of Princes St and the North Bridge. The second label is being stuck on the Bank Hotel on the conrner of the High Street and the South Bridge, I also agree with your understanding about the Royal Mile

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-06, 18:45
That'll be the 'Pink' Triangle, Golach. C'mie, ye dinnae live that far frae there.

golach
09-Dec-06, 19:17
That'll be the 'Pink' Triangle, Golach. C'mie, ye dinnae live that far frae there.
Not that far Pepsi [disgust] and any way I am colour blind can only see green and shades of green

Jeemag_USA
09-Dec-06, 19:19
Look at the name of Rose Street also, the symbol of england. Princes Street, Queen Street, Rose Street. Sounds like a sell out to me. I'd vote for renaming those. But what has William Wallace really got to do with Edinburgh, I know he is a scottish icon and Edinburgh is the capital, but I think it would be more fitting for something like the Walter Scott Mile and De Bruce Street maybe :lol:

Change Rose Street to Thistle Lane and be done with it :cool: And then get Thurso fixed an all. And Change Waverly Station to Jacobite Junction that sounds awesome!

The poeple in power in Scotland back in the day sold out to England big time, it wasn't just joining a Union, there was a lot more than that going on.

golach
09-Dec-06, 19:25
Change Rose Street to Thistle Lane and be done with it :cool:

Jeemag, sorry to tell you you are about 340 years out of date Thistle Street is in the New Town grid and has been since 1766 it runs parallel between Queens Street and George Street, also Thistle St Lane

Jeemag_USA
09-Dec-06, 19:31
well there you go then, it was a good idea ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-06, 20:24
Jeemag - Walter Scott was a radge packet of the highest order. I find it bad enough having to look at his statue on Princes Street.

golach
09-Dec-06, 21:08
Pepsi there are no Statues on Princes Street:confused

Antediluvian
09-Dec-06, 21:20
Wellington is Waterloo Place and Scott monument is Princes Street Gardens, Technically Golach is right. Am sure he can defend himself am just appreciating the distraction :)

golach
09-Dec-06, 21:22
wellington?

The Duke of Wellingtons statue is in Register St not Princes St

Antediluvian
09-Dec-06, 21:24
I stand corrected Golach, always thought waterloo started at the end of princes street, didn't realise there was register street aswell.

I've learned something new :)

golach
09-Dec-06, 21:24
Wellington is Waterloo Place and Scott monument is Princes Street Gardens, Technically Golach is right. Am sure he can defend himself am just appreciating the distraction :)
Thank you Antediluvian, number of the statues in Princes Street is an old joke, the answer is there are none, they are all in Princes Street Gardens

golach
09-Dec-06, 21:28
I stand corrected Golach, always thought wellington started at the end of princes street, didn't realise there was register street aswell.

I've learned something new :)
Lol I was not a tour guide for the summer season for nothing, Pepsi come along next Easter and I'll try and get Student rates for one of the tours for you do not hold much hope for you tho [lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-06, 22:17
Jeeze. Talk about splitting hairs, Golly. And what's a student anyway?

golach
09-Dec-06, 22:31
I have to really disagree on the register st. The Penny Black is on register st. (tis the street that used to have the burger king on the corner). Wellington Statue is exactly where princes st. and waterloo pl. meet.

wellington... waterloo... old joke.. no.. just history.
In that case what is the address of Register House where the Statue sits in front of?

JAWS
10-Dec-06, 03:41
Is Woolworth and the Royal Hotel still on Princes Street?

golach
10-Dec-06, 10:55
Woolworths long gone Jaws, now Burger King and the Royal is still there but under a new name Mount Royal