PDA

View Full Version : A gripe about adverts on TV

billmoseley
02-Sep-12, 15:57
We were sat watching tv last night when an advert for some sort of follow on milk for children came on. It made it sound that it was a must have thing or your child would not grow properly. Now my gripe is how on earth did the human race get so far without this wonder milk. There are so many other foods for toddlers too. When my kids were young and being weaned they got the same meals as us just liquidized they seem to have grown up ok. Is it because parents no longer a healthy diet themselves? [disgust]

golach
02-Sep-12, 16:08
I saw a Jenny Craig diet advert last night and a Volkswagen Polo one also, did they make me feel I need to get thinner or learn to drive?? I don't think so [lol]

squidge
02-Sep-12, 16:51
Follow on milk is an unecessary expense and a great money making scheme by the people that manufacture it in my opininon. Feeding your children is an emotive and guilt ridden subject. The way that Scotland promotes breast feeding disempowers women and means that many of them have little or no confidence in the choices they make or that they are put off breast feeding completely by the pressure which is heaped on them.

The whole way we advise and support new mums through feeding choices needs to change radically.

brandy
02-Sep-12, 20:05
on the breast feeding bit, while i am planning to BF the baby due in a week! seriously, they are now saying that you should not give your baby any kind of food other than milk until they are 6 mnths old! by that age, they are eating from the table! and feeding thierselves mostly, in a messy dear God what have i created kind of way! i agree breast is best, but some of the adverts and advice now just take the p!

brandy
02-Sep-12, 20:10
ohh just want to add, an advert that is true to its advertisement! *LOL* mostly! this happened last night!
ok, nearly 13 year old cat.. had us in a panic last night! could not find her anywhere.. don was looking outside i was all thru the house.. out the back calling her.. nothing! then he gets the dreamies out and shakes the package at the back door and she comes flying in from the garden! the adverts are not far off! *LOL*

Koi
03-Sep-12, 13:31
My son is 2 and when he was born and the few weeks before hand the midwives were piling on the pressure for me to breastfed. I didn't want to for my personal reasons but they just kept piling on the pressure. When he was born i wanted him to have the collsuturm(sp) and asked advice on pumping so he could have it. They point blanked refused and said i had to breastfeed to do that. They made me feel like a wee girl who had no idea. I didn't really know as he;s my first bairn and i was 21 so not that old but not that young. Next time i'll feed any future babies the way i want to and i won't let pushy midwives make me feel bad about it. My community midwife was excellent and i still chat to her when i met her in lidls etc. But the hospital ones just made me feel like a bad mum. I also weaned my son at 4 months as there was no way he was going to make it untill 6 months. He was a hungry bairn and was ready himself at 4 months. Its all guidelines.
From my own personal experience the way they are handling mums with infants has got to change. Its quite frankly awful practice.
Brandy my cat comes when i shake his biscuits. He gets purina cat biscuits as its the only one the fussy thing will eat. He loves the whiskas cat treats and will come running when i shake them.
Follow on milk is just a gimic. Its defintly not needed and the only reason the companies can market it the way they do is because its not needed. You don't see them putting on adverts about milk from birth onwards.

Tristan
06-Sep-12, 16:49
Follow on milk, healthy whole grains and low fat eating are all scams from the big food companies to fool you into eating their crap and not eating real food.