PDA

View Full Version : The Groat: Three far north marine energy sites short-listed for £10m Saltire Prize

secrets in symmetry
01-Sep-12, 13:27
I don't know whether anyone from the Groat looks at this forum, but here's a quote from the relevant article:

The £10 million Saltire Prize offered by the Scottish Government will be won by the team that achieves the greatest volume of electrical output in Scottish waters above a minimum 100 gigawatts an hour over a continuous two-year period, using only the power of the sea.

The expression "100 gigawatts an hour" is meaningless, and it makes the Groat look stupid.

The Groat should say (something like):

The £10 million Saltire Prize offered by the Scottish Government will be won by the team that achieves the greatest volume of electrical output in Scottish waters above a minimum of 100 Gigawatt-hours over a continuous two-year period, using only the power of the sea.

In other words, the prize goes to the company that produces the most electrical output over a two year period, with a minimum total output of 100GWh produced over the two-year period. That amounts to an average output of about 5.7MW - which is surely possible real soon now. :cool:

Rheghead
01-Sep-12, 19:03
It is a common mistake and usually made by dumb reporters rather than engineers. Probably achievable with an array of ~20MW rated machinery. The first machines were supposed to have been installed 4 years ago.

secrets in symmetry
02-Sep-12, 01:02
The reporters on the forum's sister site got it right. :cool:

The largest renewables innovation award of its kind, the Saltire Prize will be won by the team that achieves the greatest volume of electrical output in Scottish waters over the minimum hurdle of 100GWh over a continuous two-year period, using only the power of the sea.

See Four Marine Energy Teams Vie For £10m Saltire Prize (http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=3245)

As happens so often, the Groat managed to screw it up when it was easier to get it right.

Skerries
02-Sep-12, 08:32
It is a common mistake and usually made by dumb reporters rather than engineers. Probably achievable with an array of ~20MW rated machinery. The first machines were supposed to have been installed 4 years ago.

I think some engineers made a few mistakes at Dounreay over the years, and not just on paper either.

secrets in symmetry
03-Sep-12, 00:15
I think some engineers made a few mistakes at Dounreay over the years, and not just on paper either.Never! Dounreay engineers don't make mistakes - ever! Or so they tell me lol.

Rheghead
03-Sep-12, 12:27
I think some engineers made a few mistakes at Dounreay over the years, and not just on paper either.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Moira
03-Sep-12, 23:02
Never! Dounreay engineers don't make mistakes - ever! Or so they tell me lol.

Who are "they" and when did "they tell you" ?

More interesting would be what they told you....... lol......

secrets in symmetry
23-Sep-12, 20:17
I assume the Groat people don't read this forum. Their article still talks about 100GW an hour. How embarrassing is this to our community?

Mystical Potato Head
23-Sep-12, 20:39
Totally black affronted,can hardly look anyone in the face.

Corrie 3
23-Sep-12, 20:57
Totally black affronted,can hardly look anyone in the face.
I agree MPH, I am shocked beyond comprehension and ashamed that I come from Caithness after reading this very important news!!

C3.

secrets in symmetry
23-Sep-12, 21:53
I've just realised I didn't provide a link.

Three far north marine energy sites short-listed for £10m Saltire Prize (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Three-far-north-marine-energy-sites-short-listed-for-10m-Saltire-Prize-31082012.htm)