PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Restaurant (and why)

robglysen
06-Dec-06, 20:34
Helloooo everyblobby,
Got a bit of a special occasion coming up and i'd like to know where to take my lovely wife! Would like a really good chinese, but i'll take anything, where would you go?

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

frank ward
06-Dec-06, 20:44
Go to the 'Recommendations' thread on this website, which has been discussing Eating In Inverness.

A long way to go for a feed, I agree, but you could combine it with an overnight stay if you're feeling romantic!

No Chinese restaurants stand out, regretably.

Fluff
06-Dec-06, 20:47
for me in Thurso, Le Bistro is fantastic. fresh food, good prices.
Last time i was up in October, we went to the Upper Deck. It was quite pricy but really good food (steak)

DarkAngel
06-Dec-06, 21:14
The Mackays hotels No1 Bistro is gorgeous, I go there quite ofte with my partner and we have NEVER had a bad meal from there. It gets a total thumbs up from me!:)

angela5
06-Dec-06, 21:16
The Mackays hotels No1 Bistro is gorgeous, I go there quite ofte with my partner and we have NEVER had a bad meal from there. It gets a total thumbs up from me!:)

I agree Darkangel, excellent food and service.:D

DarkAngel
06-Dec-06, 21:18
Yes angela5 the food is just outstanding and the service is top class aswell, Its quite expensive but worth all yer pennies when you get a good size portion of food on your plate thats really delicious. Im sure you wife would be pleased if you took her there. :)

burstbucker
06-Dec-06, 22:46
You can't beat the Bord de Leau restaurant in Wick for quality and price.

98elite
06-Dec-06, 23:13
The Mackays hotels No1 Bistro

willowbankbear
06-Dec-06, 23:18
I ken a nice Italian in Summer street in Aberdeen if yer interested?

connieb19
06-Dec-06, 23:20
I ken a nice Italian in Summer street in Aberdeen if yer interested?
He said he's already got a wife. :eek:

robglysen
06-Dec-06, 23:22
Thank you all for the replies, it looks like it might be the bistro!

Is the new indian in thurso a safe bet? (She's a canny lass, ho ho ho!)

bobsgirl
07-Dec-06, 00:03

Yeah only if you want to go home hungry!!!!

bobsgirl
07-Dec-06, 00:05
Bistro is lovely, good value and excellent service!
Massive portions last time I went!
Had the Haddock and Chips, which was well nice!!

Big G
07-Dec-06, 00:13

If you are prepared to wait 2 hours for your main meal then it's not a bad place!

I personally thought the portions were a bit small, but the price was good!
There was 9 of us and we paid £20 each.

the nomad
07-Dec-06, 09:54
Can't go wrong with Charlie Chans, he's staff are very polite also, family business.

:)

footie chick
07-Dec-06, 09:58

We didn't have to wait in the Indian Palace food was excellent portions fine crack with waiter was priceless.

Have been to the Bistro for lunch very good as well

Commercial in Halkirk is excellent for food

henry20
07-Dec-06, 10:15
I love the bistro, food & service is always perfect!

Went to the park a couple of weeks ago. Food was beautiful and only cost £43 for 2 3 course meals and a bottle of wine.

Also, Pentland is always good food & service.

zappster
07-Dec-06, 13:04
Bord de Leau is ace never had a bad meal in there & always had good sized portions

connieb19
07-Dec-06, 13:11
Bord de Leau is ace never had a bad meal in there & always had good sized portions
I agree, it's lovely in there but do they ever change the menu?

pultneytooner
07-Dec-06, 13:18
Go to the 'Recommendations' thread on this website, which has been discussing Eating In Inverness.

A long way to go for a feed, I agree, but you could combine it with an overnight stay if you're feeling romantic!

No Chinese restaurants stand out, regretably.
Dunno if it's just me but the service in the dragon house in wick has always been spot on for service and food qualiy I.M.O.

The Soft Parade
07-Dec-06, 13:51

It's maybe a bit on the pricey side, food is delicious and the surroundings are very comfortable though.

Naefearjustbeer
07-Dec-06, 14:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstbucker http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=168350#post168350)

I agree, it's lovely in there but do they ever change the menu?

I think the main menu stays the same most of the time but the specials have always been different each time I have been. It is well priced, well cooked and the right size portions so that you feel full but not stuffed after your sweet is done.

If I were to pick somewhere to go for a meal first choice would be The Bord De Leau, Then the Ulbster Arms in Halkirk. Then the Mackays. Not in the same night though I might burst :lol:.
I am afraid the Upper deck is out as I have heard far to many bad reports in recent years and the menu price hike last year was crazy we cancelled a booking for 24 there last year when we saw the prices as did several other large groups the same weekend. They were on the phone offering to reduce the price if we kept the booking but it was too late we went to the ulbster instead much better all round. I for one dont plan on ever darkening the upper deck door again unless there is a major revamp in prices and quality. It is a shame as it used to be a garanteed good steak every time you went.

I have had nice meals in the Bistro but I dont think the menu ever changes so I dont really fancy going back.

Naefearjustbeer
07-Dec-06, 14:33
It's maybe a bit on the pricey side, food is delicious and the surroundings are very comfortable though.

Pricey? The dearest thing on the menu was £16 last time I was there I would hardly call that pricey compared to most other restauraunts in Caithness and the house wine was cheap as chips
How does ~£30 for a large fillet steak with pepper sauce hit you at the upper deck. I think it was about ~£23 befor the price rise.

connieb19
07-Dec-06, 14:36
Has anyone tried the Queens Hotel? I quite fancy going but I've never heard if it's good or not. :confused

The Soft Parade
07-Dec-06, 14:39
Pricey? The dearest thing on the menu was £16 last time I was there I would hardly call that pricey compared to most other restauraunts in Caithness and the house wine was cheap as chips
How does ~£30 for a large fillet steak with pepper sauce hit you at the upper deck. I think it was about ~£23 befor the price rise.

Yes, pricey.

We've been to lots of other places and IMO it was. Top notch food all the same.

willowbankbear
07-Dec-06, 14:40
Has anyone tried the Queens Hotel? I quite fancy going but I've never heard if it's good or not.

All that bricks & mortar stuck between yer teeth widna be good for you connie, Id rather eat the cooked food inside of the Queens than the actual Hotel[lol] [lol]

saxovtr
07-Dec-06, 14:44
All that bricks & mortar stuck between yer teeth widna be good for you connie, Id rather eat the cooked food inside of the Queens than the actual Hotel[lol] [lol]

haha,the food is not bad connie!

Naefearjustbeer
07-Dec-06, 14:48
Yes, pricey.

We've been to lots of other places and IMO it was. Top notch food all the same.

I agree the food is top notch but of all the places I have been for a meal in recent years it has been one of the cheaper places especially when you take the price of a few drinks/wine into account as well. I am not counting places that I would class as pub grub in my thought process. Places like weatherspoons and the central in thurso dont compare to proper restauraunts in my book. The Mackays was £25 for the set Christmas menu last weekend and the food was reallly good.

Naefearjustbeer
07-Dec-06, 14:50
Has anyone tried the Queens Hotel? I quite fancy going but I've never heard if it's good or not. :confused

I havent tried it in quite a few years but I did hear some good reports very recently.

jee whiz this 2 minute thing is a pest sometimes

connieb19
07-Dec-06, 14:53
All that bricks & mortar stuck between yer teeth widna be good for you connie, Id rather eat the cooked food inside of the Queens than the actual Hotel You should know about chewing a brick, you do it the whole time lol.
:roll: :lol:

burstbucker
07-Dec-06, 15:23
Yeah only if you want to go home hungry!!!!How much food do you need?

Naefearjustbeer
07-Dec-06, 15:27
How much food do you need?
More than they serve obviously. Although it is probably want rather than need as going out for dinner is not exactly counting calories is it.

The Soft Parade
07-Dec-06, 17:20

The Queens Hotel is pretty good actually, nice big portions of pub grub.

Only problem is that the noise from the bar can easily be heard from the dining room and this puts some people off.

beelag2000
13-Dec-06, 23:32
Was at Bord de l'Leau the other week in a group. Excellent meal, venison was superb, nicely cooked ,beautiful berry sauce and a very ample portion.
Averaged approx £34 for 3 courses and coffee.

Was also at Brown Trout Watten for a group outing.
Simple everday type menu, but good sized portions, plenty veg tatties and chips. Very nicely cooked. Average price for 3 courses? an amazing £12 pound!!!! Excellent value for money.

Through
19-Dec-06, 15:08
Finally made it to the Indian Palace in Thurso last night. Very nice surroundings, good atmosphere, ever so polite staff, top class tasty food, good laugh with the waiters. Five of us completely satisfied for £87.

Very highly recommended.

pops
03-Jan-07, 14:13
has anyone tried the Holborn since their new restaurant opened? how as it if anyone has? would like to know what like it is as thinking about going there for dinner sometime soon.
thanx