PDA

View Full Version : Hooray!! might get some peace from the boy Racers at last!!

dx100uk
31-Aug-12, 02:03
http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/

dx

joxville
31-Aug-12, 08:00
Although not a fan of boy racers, I can see this having further implications. It's going to affect so many businesses in the aftermarket, Halfords being one of them, and in the current economic climate the new legislation could be the death knell for many of them. So we'll have many more unemployed people claiming benefits from our already stretched taxes. I'd rather be better of in the pocket and put up with the nuisance of boy racers.

Southern-Gal
31-Aug-12, 08:46
It wont stop the boy racers at all. In fact it could mean that with no outlay on gizmos and gadgets they will have more money to spend on petrol and so can drive around a lot more. Some of the cars Ive seen up here had had more money spent on extras than the car would be worth alone.
The car thing up here provides them with a lot of good things. Like minded friends and cameraderie, a project and time taken up tinkering with cars keep them occupied. Everyone should have a hobby and I think it would be a shame to spoil that.
A lot of businesses, mail order included must make quite a lot of their money from selling extras like spoilers and spotlights and special paints. If they were my sons Id rather they were tinkering with cars than taking drugs. They could be up to a lot lot worse.
Education is key really and somewhere where they are allowed to meet up legitimately would help everyone :)

ducati
31-Aug-12, 08:58
This is a terrible idea. Where would American culture be without the custom car, hot rod scene?

I just wish we were better at it. If you buy your custom parts from Halfords it's going to be a bit crap innit?

Even Chance
31-Aug-12, 12:28

dx

Boy racers I can live with:- Its the infernal racket made by eejits that keep chickens in e toon thats e real problem!!!! lol

john w
31-Aug-12, 15:20
At an ae bloomin skorries!

sids
31-Aug-12, 18:07
I've read that scare story before.

Shaggy
31-Aug-12, 18:31
cant see there being any real issues here as the Germans already have this system in place. All you do is take your car for a TUV (MOT) and for the sport exhaust, low profiles, special carbs etc etc, you get an extra TUV per modification. So the car as it stands passes its TUV and then as long as the mods are legal and properly setup or fixed to the car then they each get their TUV too. Only downside is that each TUV costs you. Good idea in principal but in reality its just another money making scam for the government

donss
31-Aug-12, 20:17
.. and besides: a 'boy racer' or 'hoon' can be a 'boy racer' or a 'hoon' in any car: modified or standard......

2little2late
01-Sep-12, 01:18

dx Boy racers should be culled and not the scorries. At least seagulls make less noise.

Shaggy
01-Sep-12, 11:45
Boy racers should be culled and not the scorries. At least seagulls make less noise.

Very true, can't say i've heard a gull backfiring, using a dump valve or wheelspinning..... :-)

p.s. a side note from a distinguished old lady who visits my mother
Theres a very cute wee laddie who drives a souped up corsa....when you see him next, ask him to drive carefully and tell him his granny has his favourite bag of soor plooms and home-made apple pie ready for when he next nips in to borrow a tenner out my pension, oh and tell him from one of my sewing bee friends that he was very sweet and courteous the other day when he stopped at the zebra crossing to let her cross albeit he was revving his engine and even though i did see it was him he was still waving at me to get his attention, bless his wee cotton socks :cool:

QUADBIKER
05-Sep-12, 22:26
ha ha boy racers. what makes you think this only applys to boy racers, this is gettin brung out that if any car is modified or altered in anyway it will not pass an mot. a simple thing like alloy wheels for metal ones, if you damage an original wheel you will have to replace that with an original wheel, before you rattle on about boy racers you want to sit and have a think about this, this will affect everyone if it does get the go ahead. you will not be able to fit any aftermarket parts to your car it will all have to be manufacturers parts. this has been on the go for years and luckily it has been blocked and for all our sakes you want to hope it gets blocked again.

dx100uk
06-Sep-12, 02:22
would be nice if they outlaw the exhausts
maybe we need to get a recording and sit outside their house on full volume
see how their parents like it night after night

dx

Even Chance
06-Sep-12, 08:17
ha ha boy racers. what makes you think this only applys to boy racers, this is gettin brung out that if any car is modified or altered in anyway it will not pass an mot. a simple thing like alloy wheels for metal ones, if you damage an original wheel you will have to replace that with an original wheel, before you rattle on about boy racers you want to sit and have a think about this, this will affect everyone if it does get the go ahead. you will not be able to fit any aftermarket parts to your car it will all have to be manufacturers parts. this has been on the go for years and luckily it has been blocked and for all our sakes you want to hope it gets blocked again.

You got it in one! I have a modified classic car, and it would have pretty much turned it into scrap overnight. Think of the businesses this law would have closed overnight. The economy couldn't cope.

ducati
06-Sep-12, 09:32
You got it in one! I have a modified classic car, and it would have pretty much turned it into scrap overnight. Think of the businesses this law would have closed overnight. The economy couldn't cope.

Presumably the standard MOT could be tweeked to check the safety of any modifications or deviations from standard. How they can check if every replacement part such as brake discs filters etc are factory supplied I dont know. I've seen enough dangerous lash ups to appreciate some kind of check would be a good idea though.

tonkatojo
06-Sep-12, 11:49
Presumably the standard MOT could be tweeked to check the safety of any modifications or deviations from standard. How they can check if every replacement part such as brake discs filters etc are factory supplied I dont know. I've seen enough dangerous lash ups to appreciate some kind of check would be a good idea though.

The cost of MOT is high enough, they get paid an hour to do the checks although usually takes 20-30 minutes, if your proposal comes law the test would at least double in time (allowed) and cost what? I wonder. Do they reveal these modifications to their insurance company's I wonder.

Even Chance
06-Sep-12, 12:13

Heres the thing:- The car was built to MSA road car class spec (Motor Sports Association), which is a lot tougher than the regular MOT standards anyway. It is then checked prior to every event by an MSA Scruitineer against the rules laid out in the blue book (MSA rules and regs).

Even Chance
06-Sep-12, 12:16
Do they reveal these modifications to their insurance company's I wonder.

You know the answer to that ane! Most of the young-uns are paying through the noses anyway.
The only real difference in price hike I saw when revealing mods was the inclusion of a roll cage. This seemed to imply you were going to race/rally the car. Weel duh!! lol

QUADBIKER
06-Sep-12, 20:07
in a nutshell this law is not being made to hinder boyracers, this will affect most people. as even chance has stated there shall be businesses closing right, left and centre. no after market parts, just wait and see the price of your parts then and i mean your parts not just boyracer parts. once again this is a law made up entirially to screw the motorists out of more money so dont point the finger at boyracers they are not to blame for this, infact they will do more to try and stop this than anyone else. in a nutshell you are all going to get screwed.

samantha333
06-Sep-12, 21:09
What about the modifications on the popes car? does that mean his car will be banned too...

samantha333
06-Sep-12, 21:14
would love it

Koi
07-Sep-12, 16:24
I would certainly not encourage any "boy racers" with their noisy antics but i don't see how banning modifying your car will stop them. All it will do is stop the ones who do it as a hobby and take pride in how their car looks. To most of us a car is for getting you to a to b safely. My car does this but it also has a spoiler we got fitted and my partner wants to lower her a bit as well. I don't like cars thats are lowered almost to the ground but for what my partner has in mind i don't see it as a problem. What we have done and plan to do is all standard parts. He has a weekend car that is not standard and he'd never do anything with it that could lead to it being damaged or misused. He so rarely takes it out that you'd never see him revving it up etc. Its his baby and he takes great pride in how she looks and performs.
I wash my car every weekend and i take great pride in how she looks and in keeping her clean. I do this all year round. Last winter you'd have seen me washing it once a week every week in the bitter cold and the wind as I certainly don't want the salt making it rusty.
I do believe to tar everyone who mods their car for their own reasons as a "boy racer" isn't right. I could fall into that category due to my car being modded slightly but you'll rarely find me out revving it and doing wheel spins. I care too much of the cost of doing such things to do them!
I do think police should crack down on the very noisy exhausts and that car owners who wish to rev their engines, do wheel spins etc should have more consideration for other people who are trying to sleep or have young children.

focusRS
08-Sep-12, 09:01
If this rediculous ban comes to pass then I will eat my right steel toe cap boot.

sids
08-Sep-12, 09:37
What about the modifications on the popes car? does that mean his car will be banned too...

Diplomatic immunity.

Gronnuck
08-Sep-12, 14:51
I've had a read through various sources and am quite alarmed by what has been tabled for discussion. Worse case scenario when a car goes for its MOT it would have to appear with all its original equipment. You know those Halford’s windscreen wipers you fitted just before the start of the winter? They would have to be replaced with the exact same as originally fitted. New tyres? Make sure they're the same as originally fitted. You fitted Xenon bulbs, not allowed - not original. Tow bar, not allowed - not original.
OK there will be a lot of tweaking of any intended rules but to think there are Euro civil servants getting paid vast sums of money to sit about drawing up policies like this at our expense. Nae wonder the world is goin' tae hell in a handbasket.

upolian
11-Sep-12, 15:50
thats snow tyres out the question