PDA

View Full Version : USB Mobile Internet Dongles. Do they work in North Sutherland?

picturegifts
29-Aug-12, 11:42
Has anyone had any experience of using one of these devices on Northern coast?
If so I would be grateful of any feedback on which is the best one to purchase i.e O2, Orange, Vodaphone etc
Also is there much of a difference in speed between these and fixed Broadband

Any comments are gratefully welcomed or any suggestions on a backup for when my BT broadband goes down.

Thank you

starfish
29-Aug-12, 11:47
i have used t mobile it was ok but very slow sometimes not being able to connect and could only have one page open at once

picturegifts
29-Aug-12, 14:46
Can you download large files with these? For example I may need to download MP3 files which are around 50 MB, sometimes more, would that be possible?

starfish
29-Aug-12, 14:58
i could not down load with t mobile

Fran
29-Aug-12, 15:00
I have a VODAPHONE DINGLE WHICH IS VERY GOOD.

picturegifts
29-Aug-12, 15:19
Thanks Starfish that's really helpful to know.

Fran, can you download large files with your Vodafone dongle?

buzzard
29-Aug-12, 20:13
I used a vodafone dongle for years, it worked well (much better than 3 mobile), but not possible to download large files, just checking e-mails etc. You don't get mobile broadband speed here, just gprs (which you can boost a bit with something like onspeed or propel, but is still slow).
I would advise against getting an internet dongle if you need to download large files.
Another alternative is satellite internet which is not so expensive anymore (we pay £15/month for the lowest speed connection, which is much much faster than the dongle mobile internet)

EDDIE
29-Aug-12, 20:58
Has anyone had any experience of using one of these devices on Northern coast?
If so I would be grateful of any feedback on which is the best one to purchase i.e O2, Orange, Vodaphone etc
Also is there much of a difference in speed between these and fixed Broadband

Any comments are gratefully welcomed or any suggestions on a backup for when my BT broadband goes down.

Thank you

Well if its for home fixed brodband is better every time dongles are ok if ure a 3g coverage if ure not its abut the same speed as used to be on dial up if ure going to be download or streaming alot then homebroad band is the way to go if ure just going to be surfing and trying to do away with the phoneline then a dongle is ok
why not just buy a pay as u go dongle and try it out or even better still by a mifi router instead?

webmannie
29-Aug-12, 22:22
Been using the 3 network mifi dongle since over a year. 3g coverage is excellent, 1.2mb up and down. £10 a gb. if you check the 3 coverage tool on their website it is pretty accurate. I carried out tests on how accurate it was for a work project. If it shows your area as covered then it pretty much is. One of my best IT buys ever! Its mainly used to turn my car or me into a personal wifi hotspot.

secrets in symmetry
29-Aug-12, 23:36
I see Orange/T-Mobile have been granted permission to use their "existing airwaves" for LTE. I wish I'd known this was about to happen when I abandoned Orange for Vodafone at the beginning of the summer!

EDDIE
30-Aug-12, 07:24
Been using the 3 network mifi dongle since over a year. 3g coverage is excellent, 1.2mb up and down. £10 a gb. if you check the 3 coverage tool on their website it is pretty accurate. I carried out tests on how accurate it was for a work project. If it shows your area as covered then it pretty much is. One of my best IT buys ever! Its mainly used to turn my car or me into a personal wifi hotspot.
Mifi router are quite good it means u pay For mobile broadband once and can use it on anything i think its better doing that than paying an extra to get that built into a gadget

picturegifts
31-Aug-12, 10:34
We have our phone line & broadband through BT and have a Sky+ set up for TV
If we switched our phone & broadband over to Sky would we still need a BT line? i.e how do Sky provide a phone line, is it through existing BT line or is through satelite

EDDIE
31-Aug-12, 20:22
We have our phone line & broadband through BT and have a Sky+ set up for TV
If we switched our phone & broadband over to Sky would we still need a BT line? i.e how do Sky provide a phone line, is it through existing BT line or is through satelite
Yes u use the same line instead of paying bt for line rental u pay sky