PDA

View Full Version : Who killed the org??

Restlessnative
28-Aug-12, 19:37
Why is the org so quiet? It has seemed to die on the old discussion side of things. Is this due to the SNP plans to ditch England or could it be owners neglect, the recession, good weather and facebooks global domination?

All views gratefully received.

pmcd
28-Aug-12, 19:52
Mathematician and satirist Tom Lehrer gave up performing his sardonic and cutting anti-establishment songs when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. He said that this event was "beyond satire", and in the light of this ridiculous award, he could not compete any more. We have the same situation at the moment. Scotland's future is about to be determined by cheery incomers, and comparative children, as opposed to native but expatriate Scots: it is being orchestrated by the Baboon of Brigadoon and his cronies, who firmly believe that their secessionist behaviour (thanks, John Little!) will result in a supine England, Wales and Northern Ireland passively giving in to each and every one of the SNPs "demands": and it is clear, between the willy-waving and the "emotional appeals", that facts in this great matter are very much in the rear of this murderous gallop towards the SNP's sure defeat. And perhaps we can add to that the fact that this debate over independence is only a few weeks old- there are still two arduous and blackboard-scraping years to go, and the daily cries of "Stand Up and Fight, if you're man enough!" from the Lands North of Hadrian's Wall bespeaking utter contempt by the quite rightly silent Union supporters at two more years of this childish shadow-boxing.

The Union will respond when the time is right and when the facts are available. All the facts, not just the selective headlines the SNP prefers to put in front of the Scottish population.

Any man who takes on NATO, the UK, the Catholic Church, and plain common sense in the space of the same few weeks is doomed to failure. Perhaps this is why the debate has mummified in this forum?

Rheghead
28-Aug-12, 20:07
I think that orgers are still logging in but they are not contributing to the threads as much except the classifieds. The biggest reason is that all the big questions have been thrashed out to death. It is same old same old by the same old. Myself included, guilty as charged. We are subsistence gurning on the dog poo and the latest shop closure threads now.

annemarie482
28-Aug-12, 20:26
i think the loss of northner, has left a big hole too.
(he's moved to shetland)

John Little
28-Aug-12, 20:45
Mathematician and satirist Tom Lehrer gave up performing his sardonic and cutting anti-establishment songs when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. He said that this event was "beyond satire", and in the light of this ridiculous award, he could not compete any more. We have the same situation at the moment. Scotland's future is about to be determined by cheery incomers, and comparative children, as opposed to native but expatriate Scots: it is being orchestrated by the Baboon of Brigadoon and his cronies, who firmly believe that their secessionist behaviour (thanks, John Little!) will result in a supine England, Wales and Northern Ireland passively giving in to each and every one of the SNPs "demands": and it is clear, between the willy-waving and the "emotional appeals", that facts in this great matter are very much in the rear of this murderous gallop towards the SNP's sure defeat. And perhaps we can add to that the fact that this debate over independence is only a few weeks old- there are still two arduous and blackboard-scraping years to go, and the daily cries of "Stand Up and Fight, if you're man enough!" from the Lands North of Hadrian's Wall bespeak utter contempt by the quite rightly silent Union supporters at two more years of this childish shadow-boxing.

The Union will respond when the time is right and when the facts are available. All the facts, not just the selective headlines the SNP prefers to put in front of the Scottish population.

Any man who takes on NATO, the UK, the Catholic Church, and plain common sense in the space of the same few weeks is doomed to failure. Perhaps this is why the debate has mummified in this forum?

Hmmmm....

I am sure that there is much in what you say because I myself have begun to feel the 'can't be bovvered' vibe myself. I barely posted at all for several weeks before my SNP thread and now the apathy is beginning to set in firmly.

There appears to me to be a certain absurdity to the requirement that the Union defend itself and justify its right to exist. It sort of brings to mind the 'What did the Romans ever do for us' scene in the Life of Brian; except in this case the implied Imperialism appears to be inverted or fabricated to boost a case that is essentially Secessionism fully blown.

What you get as justification appears to be tautologous and vehement re-statements of what has been said before - so you have to ask yourself eventually if there is any point in continuing to argue.

Now leaving aside any implication that Scotland was ever a fully functioning democratic state pre 1707, or that the roads were better before Marshal Wade, what has the Union ever done for us?

We are I think, number 28 in the world development index, which is not bad for 62 million people. Of course Norway is way ahead of us on that score, but then again they only have 5 million and a lot of oil money which they appear to have no carbon emission guilt over.

The roads aren't bad either; in Kent where I used to live, they had a Tory council and the roads were shocking.

We have a stable polity, a good international credit rating and have never reneged on our debts, unlike Iceland.

The last full battle in the UK was in 1745 where a force at least half Scots defeated a Catholic Jacobite attempt at a coup (unless you count the French invasions of 1797 -8. So no real civil unrest to disturb most peoples' lives.

Clean water, NHS, decent railways, decent roads.
Access to air travel; a free if somewhat rampant press.
Freedom of artistic expression.
A seat on the UN.
A commonwealth of friendly nations (mostly)
A national broadcaster that all parties say is biased against them (can't be bad)
A mean standard of living that would be envied by many.
A welfare state.
Reasonable education system
Range of careers and industries
Freedom of aspirations
Reasonable liberty of the subject

And so on and so on....

All things are relative of course but my own life has been such as I cannot really grumble - comfortable enough.

I have freedom to grumble about the government - which I do -and there are things I would change. But I would not wish to smash the country up to put these things right.

That seems like flushing baby out with the bathwater.

I get a sense of when I used to play footie on the playing field by Viewfirth when small. It stopped when the kid with the ball picked it up and went home.

Now somebody wants to pick up what they see as their ball and go home.

And the effect would be to turn this Briton into an Englishman- and willy nilly too.

So maybe you think the Union has not done much for us? We should sell it for a New Jerusalem?

I wish that I did not so much History and saw that stale old cry fooling people down through the ages, and being trotted out again and again - and now again.

Pie. But this time it's pie in the sky.

So yes - who killed the Org?

Well I ain't helping.

It's the Caithness Community website. I don't live in Caithness, so I am inclined to go off in search of Crayola who was last seen orbiting Pluto, trying to decide if it is a planet or not and at least give the Org a long rest.

It ain't my business any road, and since I don't get a vote in 2014 I'm inclined to let the residents of Scotland of all shades, origins, ethnicities, incomers, protestants, catholics, Highlanders, Lowlanders, Central Belters fight it among themselves.

I shall look in but shall not post again at least until October and maybe not then.

Ciao for now.

pat
28-Aug-12, 21:52
Think folk have decided to give the Org a miss due to the continual back biting, bitching and general nastiness there has been on the Org for quite some months, there has been a general decline over the past few years but it has sunk to some sad levels recently.
As soon as someone posts a comment or general remark about anything somebody comes on and slates them for holding that opinion, their grammer, spelling, or method of writing, makes them a laughing stock for making the comment or they are generally attacked.
I have a very thick skin but some of the attacks on the Org at times have been way out of order,
If someone is not sure about posting then observes all the nastiness on some of the postings it will make a normal person think twice or more about being able to take the hassle dished out on the Org and is it worth it?

Corrie 3
28-Aug-12, 22:14
It wasn't me............................ honest!!!!

C3............:roll:;)

Kevin Milkins
28-Aug-12, 22:47
I blame Tesco, it was Ok before they came to town.

ShelleyCowie
28-Aug-12, 23:08
The few times i go to post, i end up deleting it before i post it because its less hassle that way. Some people are probably greatful for that though :D But i do miss the old org, was ace fun. Now i just rather not post incase of a grammar attack or anything

Sandra_B
28-Aug-12, 23:20
I think this question is asked every summer. Things will pick up again soon...

secrets in symmetry
29-Aug-12, 00:15
The last full battle in the UK was in 1745 where a force at least half Scots defeated a Catholic Jacobite attempt at a coup.That'll be the Battle of Culloden, which took place in April 1746 (not '45). As far as I recall, more than half of the Government regiments were from England, but a significant number were indeed Scots.

I would post more if there were more members like me. :cool:

Niall Fernie
29-Aug-12, 03:19
I think this question is asked every summer. Things will pick up again soon...Thanks, saved me saying it. I would search out last year's thread but sufficed to say, same comments, same reasons etc etc.

Doreen
29-Aug-12, 07:39
I think its all the anti-smokers due to their whinging and moaning .:)

Green_not_greed
29-Aug-12, 08:15
[QUOTE=pmcd;972897]Mathematician and satirist Tom Lehrer gave up performing his sardonic and cutting anti-establishment songs when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. He said that this event was "beyond satire", and in the light of this ridiculous award, he could not compete any more. [QUOTE]

Well you learn something every day. I loved Tom Lehrer in my younger days and wondered what happened to him. The world could do with more like him, and less with politically-correct claptrap.

squidge
29-Aug-12, 09:57
No one has a sense of humour - actually including me when Im here. If you try to make a light hearted joke about stuff you are shot down in flames. I tried today to make a light hearted comment and once again had my head bitten off. Over the last couple of weeks I have been insulted and patronised more than at any time during the ten years that I have posted on the org. I am very fond of saying that "its only a forum" and it is - I amnt offended or hurt particularly - but I am finding it wearing and exhausting. Im away for a few days and wont be here or posting - maybe I will feel different after a break and come back - I hope so but know what? I'm not sure I really care........

Rheghead
29-Aug-12, 10:10
I think people need to get a grip as well. How many times have we seen someone state their opinion on here and then proceed to take the pet when they have their opinions challenged? you are right squidge, it is only a forum, a discussion forum, and if someone's most cherished opinions have no basis in morality, reason, fact or logic then they're going to get slaughtered, it is the nature of the beast.

secrets in symmetry
29-Aug-12, 10:13
Those that are complaining about being corrected on the forum should stop posting rubbish, lies, and illiterate, innumerate, illogical rants.

I'm good in that respect, and I never (well, rarely) complain about being attacked by idiotic rants. :cool:

secrets in symmetry
29-Aug-12, 10:15
I think people need to get a grip as well. How many times have we seen someone state their opinion on here and then proceed to take the pet when they have their opinions challenged? you are right squidge, it is only a forum, a discussion forum, and if someone's most cherished opinions have no basis in morality, reason, fact or logic then they're going to get slaughtered, it is the nature of the beast.Nice post Rheghead. Great minds and all that. :cool:

squidge
29-Aug-12, 10:22
Im not spitting out the dummy and huffing off cos my opininons are being challenged - I challenge many people's opinions Rheghead - I am just finding the whole agression on this board - in the threads that I contribute to and those that I dont wearing and tiresome - look at the smoking thread. I haven't posted there cos I have no idea which shop people are talking about but the meanness and aggression within that thread leaps off the page and batters you in the face! the threads we have had recently about driving and the crusing thread, they were the same. It wasnt disagreement, nor was it challenging of opinions, many of the posts have been mean and nasty and agressive. Its really unpleasant to read all that stuff. The nice things like the thread about getting a lift from a stranger are now few and far between, the humorous threads have largely disappeared and so I am off for a wee while to do some nice things and talk to some nice people and fill my days with positive stuff cos this negative aura is not good for my sense of humour.

Rheghead
29-Aug-12, 10:25
Go take a break, you obviously thought I was having a go at you personally rather than responding to you.

theone
29-Aug-12, 10:32
That'll be the Battle of Culloden, which took place in April 1746 (not '45). As far as I recall, more than half of the Government regiments were from England, but a significant number were indeed Scots.

Indeed. And the northern clans, the Mackays, Gunns, Sutherlands and Sinclairs fought with the government against the separatists.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who think Culloden was a battle between Scotland and England. And then go on to rant how we've been oppressed ever since.

squidge
29-Aug-12, 10:35
Go take a break, you obviously thought I was having a go at you personally rather than responding to you.

See Lol - definitely fed up!!!!!! i think coffee might be the answer - Im off to have a double shot skinny latte and do something uplifting lol

Invisible
29-Aug-12, 16:14
coz its apparantly aginst the .org law to av a spilling mistak in yer poast innit or da speling police wil com down on u wiv a ton ov bricks :confused

not 2 menshon grammer and punctuaton ;)

Alrock
29-Aug-12, 16:19
coz its apparantly aginst the .org law to av a spilling mistak in yer poast innit or da speling police wil com down on u wiv a ton ov bricks :confused

not 2 menshon grammer and punctuaton ;)

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/Alrock/_Misc/Caution_Stupid_Ahead_by_Persnickete.jpg

rob murray
29-Aug-12, 17:08
Indeed. And the northern clans, the Mackays, Gunns, Sutherlands and Sinclairs fought with the government against the separatists.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who think Culloden was a battle between Scotland and England. And then go on to rant how we've been oppressed ever since.

Yep, technically the whole charade was a conflict between the eldest son of the "pretender" to the UK throne, but know your history... ( James Stuart V1 Scotland = James 1st UK, his son Charles Stuart was Charles 1st Uk, his son Charles Stuart II king of UK, his son James Stuart II of UK..fled / was pushed from UK throne, whatever because of his catholicsm, replaced by William of Orange, hint he wasnt related to the Stuarts ( just see the kingship as a franchise ) his son James III was the old pretender and his son Charles Stuart, should have been / legally was prince of wales and hier apparent : Charles III, the guy at the fore front of what was known as the rebellion. Charles was not a seperatist, the 45 / 46 expediation was a vain, French inspired event, to retore the stuart dynasty to the UK...the UK....the UK....Charles was not a seperatist lets be absolute on that. And yes he was "supported" by largely traditional gaelic territory based clans against the official government forces ( professional militiia, largely english regiments ) augmented by representatives from some scottish clans, and as canny scots some clan chiefs had men on both sides...a hedged bet. More clans fought for Charles than actually against him, but the whole disaster had nothing whatsoever to do with seperatism....but to the restoration of the Stuart dynasty to rule the UK as they lawfully claimed. Whats undoubted about Culloden is the slaughter carried out, and its an historical fact that attrocities were carried out on participants and the innocent,,and unfortuntely but true, these were carried out by professional militia, which is why no English regiment who took part in the campaign ever "celebrated" the event ie battle colours etc

Rheghead
29-Aug-12, 17:14
Yep, technically the whole charade was a conflict between the eldest son of the "pretender" to the UK throne, but know your history... ( James Stuart V1 Scotland = James 1st UK, his son Charles Stuart was Charles 1st Uk, his son Charles Stuart II king of UK, his son James Stuart II of UK..fled / was pushed from UK throne, whatever because of his catholicsm, replaced by William of Orange, hint he wasnt related to the Stuarts ( just see the kingship as a franchise ) his son James III was the old pretender and his son Charles Stuart, should have been / legally was prince of wales and hier apparent : Charles III, the guy at the fore front of what was known as the rebellion. Charles was not a seperatist, the 45 / 46 expediation was a vain, French inspired event, to retore the stuart dynasty to the UK...the UK....the UK....Charles was not a seperatist lets be absolute on that. And yes he was "supported" by largely traditional gaelic territory based clans against the official government forces ( professional militiia, largely english regiments ) augmented by representatives from some scottish clans, and as canny scots some clan chiefs had men on both sides...a hedged bet. More clans fought for Charles than actually against him, but the whole disaster had nothing whatsoever to do with seperatism....but to the restoration of the Stuart dynasty to rule the UK as they lawfully claimed. Whats undoubted about Culloden is the slaughter carried out, and its an historical fact that attrocities were carried out on participants and the innocent,,and unfortuntely but true, these were carried out by professional militia, which is why no English regiment who took part in the campaign ever "celebrated" the event ie battle colours etc

Know your history, King James II wasn't the son of Charles II, he was his brother.

rob murray
29-Aug-12, 17:16
Know your history, King James II wasn't the son of Charles II, he was his brother.

Ok I stand corrected I rushed my posting actually, but the 45 46 was nothing to do with seperatism .

Rheghead
29-Aug-12, 17:19
Ok I stand corrected I rushed my posting actually, but the 45 46 was nothing to do with seperatism .

Yes I agree, the 45 was more to do with a conflict to recognise the divine birthright of a King and the absolutism of rule.

Mystical Potato Head
29-Aug-12, 18:15
That'll be the Battle of Culloden, which took place in April 1746 (not '45). As far as I recall, more than half of the Government regiments were from England, but a significant number were indeed Scots.

I would post more if there were more members like me. :cool:

Thankfully there aren't.

theone
29-Aug-12, 18:46

You do indeed seem to be correct. Thanks for pointing this out.
Unfortunately it seems the wonder that is Wikipedia has been abused by somebody with their own motives:

The Jacobite rising of 1745, often referred to as "The 'Forty-Five", was the attempt by Charles Edward Stuart to regain the Scottish throne for the exiled House of Stuart, and recreate an absolute monarchy in Scotland separate from the United Kingdom .

Corrie 3
29-Aug-12, 18:58
Thankfully there aren't.
Hear, hear!!!

C3.

billmoseley
29-Aug-12, 20:04
No one has a sense of humour - actually including me when Im here. If you try to make a light hearted joke about stuff you are shot down in flames. I tried today to make a light hearted comment and once again had my head bitten off. Over the last couple of weeks I have been insulted and patronised more than at any time during the ten years that I have posted on the org. I am very fond of saying that "its only a forum" and it is - I amnt offended or hurt particularly - but I am finding it wearing and exhausting. Im away for a few days and wont be here or posting - maybe I will feel different after a break and come back - I hope so but know what? I'm not sure I really care........ o how right you are. everything that gets posted seems to end up with people picking an argument

gleeber
29-Aug-12, 21:52
If you were a student of human behaviour this stuff would be manna from heaven. I just listened to stephen Hawking speaking at the paralympics and his onus was on knowledge and being curious about the world we live in. I wondered whereabouts in his thoughts human behaviour figured? Hes a remarkable bloke and talks about the fabric of the universe in terms that I can just about begin to understand. Our thoughts belong in that mysterious realm too so its not surprising internet forums can be so impersonal.
The orgs a strange beast. Its more than just a forum, its all the other stuff too. Personal lives in various stages of their development and sometimes from all corners of the world. The orgs taught me to be tolerant although sometimes I can get wound up over particular subjects. I thank the org for allowing me to unwind and notice my peculiarities. :lol: I dont mean to disrespect anyone if I challenge them but if they take it like that its not my problem. I have my own stuff to contend with.
I think internet forums have more to offer than what weve got used to but itll take time to develop. The orgs not dying. Its got more life in it than most people notice.

secrets in symmetry
29-Aug-12, 23:31
As I suggested previously, the forum would be a better place if posters were more objective - as I am - and if they took notice when it's pointed out that they're speaking out of their rear windows. Instead, they huff and puff and squeal like the two year olds they often adore - which becomes tedious after the first couple of repeats.

I am objective, and I try to be as helpful as possible to people who don't understand issues such as global warming, economics, renewable energy, etc. If they squeal repeatedly with indigation, then I crush them and leave them for the vultures - as a kindness, because continuing to crush a defeated debater would be against Forum World's version of the Geneva Convention.

oldmarine
30-Aug-12, 04:02
Why is the org so quiet? It has seemed to die on the old discussion side of things. Is this due to the SNP plans to ditch England or could it be owners neglect, the recession, good weather and facebooks global domination?

All views gratefully received.

Could it have been me? If so it was not intential.

ducati
30-Aug-12, 07:41
As I suggested previously, the forum would be a better place if posters were more objective - as I am - and if they took notice when it's pointed out that they're speaking out of their rear windows. Instead, they huff and puff and squeal like the two year olds they often adore - which becomes tedious after the first couple of repeats.

I am objective, and I try to be as helpful as possible to people who don't understand issues such as global warming, economics, renewable energy, etc. If they squeal repeatedly with indigation, then I crush them and leave them for the vultures - as a kindness, because continuing to crush a defeated debater would be against Forum World's version of the Geneva Convention.

You're absolutely right! You try to help people by telling them how stupid they are and they just don't appreciate it.

secrets in symmetry
30-Aug-12, 08:09
You're absolutely right! You try to help people by telling them how stupid they are and they just don't appreciate it.Yes, but only after they've been digging that hole for several posts. It's better for them if they know they're wrong - it's an act of kindness.

joxville
30-Aug-12, 09:16
Yes, but only after they've been digging that hole for several posts. It's better for them if they know they're wrong - it's an act of kindness.I don't pretend to be super intelligent but I do understand a lot of the world around me, yet green and nuclear issues go straight over my head. I have learned a lot from reading threads by you, Rheghead and ywindy, I've learned more from those threads than I normally would have because I'd never have the inclination to sit and read books about the subjects.

My specialist field is asphalt, and I'm only too happy to explain and to help those that want to know more about it, what and how it's made and laid.I was raised to respect someone's else's opinion, even if I didn't agree with it. I listen to those with more knowledge of a subject than I do, I'll question if I don't understand. But I never talk down to people and treat them as fools, and I don't expect to be treated that way either.

You're posts in this thread do exactly that, and they show you up more for the type of person you are than the one you are trying to educate, which is a shame because though you are certainly knowledgable, you dont come across as likeable. You Sir, are the pub bore.

PS Before you pick holes in this post, I know one should never start a sentence with the word 'but'.

shazzap
30-Aug-12, 09:29
I know one should never start a sentence with the word 'but'.[/QUOTE]

Or and I was taught. I am sure some one will correct me, if i am wrong.

pmcd
30-Aug-12, 10:03
The real English language "bible" is "Fowler's Use of English", where it is conceded that when something grammatically wrong keeps on happening, then by custom and usage it becomes OK. Grudgingly, but that's life. So you CAN split an infinitive "to boldly go" because lots of people do. You CAN say "enormity" -"the quality of being outrageous" - when you mean "bloody huge" and no doubt the time will come when "their", "they're" and "there" WILL be interchangeable.

So on the one hand, even the great Fowler admits that language is a changeful beast. What upsets the real linguist is that many of these changes are not neologisms - "oh, I'll google that later", but simple laziness - the product of bad teaching and learning. There is still something eye-watering about "He should of known better" instead of "he should have known better".

Everybody's got their bugbears. As long as we don't revert to animal grunts (teenage boys and buffet car attendants) we'll rub along nicely. So don't worry about starting and ending a sentence with a supposition, a proposition, or a preposition - that's something (to quote Churchill - not the dog) "up with which I shall not put"!

joxville
30-Aug-12, 10:20
The misuse of 'of' really is a bugbear of mine; I see it every day on Facebook, posted by the same culprits, but I'm too nice a guy to point out to them how annoying it is.

billmoseley
30-Aug-12, 19:18
but how ever we post stuff on here weather it be in good english grammar or at least we are communicating surly that is the important thing

secrets in symmetry
02-Sep-12, 00:55
As I said before, we need more people like me - knowledgeable, objective and scrupulously fair. Then we could have proper discussions about the issues that matter.

pmcd
02-Sep-12, 01:19
Ah, secrets, I'm afraid I'll have to jump in front of you here. The virtues you listed are all very well, and I subscribe to them wholeheartedly, but the thing which places me in pole position as an arbiter of judgement and taste is my humility. I am exceedingly proud of this greatest of gifts, blessed as I have been with far more of my share of humility than is decent. I am known far and wide for it: everywhere I have travelled, from the Falklands to Kathmandu, people stop me in the street and say, almost in awe "Chay/Sahib - are YOU the gentleman known throughout the world for his humility?" I shush them quietly, and agree that, yes, I AM that man of whom it is said that when the Good Lord endowed the human race with attributes, he made sure that a triple dose of humility came in my direction. Why, our family Coat of Arms (which predates the House of Hanover, and, indeed William the Conqueror), contains the motto "Humility is my Essence", which sums it up beautifully. I feel that humility is the cardinal virtue, and I am SO glad that I am so well-endowed with it.

Now, is there anything you'd like to know?

secrets in symmetry
02-Sep-12, 01:44
I'm impressed by your humility, pmcd. I don't have any humility, but my vegetarian friend says I have manure-loads of hubris - which I think is similar to humility, although I think she maybe means hummus lol.

shazzap
02-Sep-12, 12:50
As I said before, we need more people like me - knowledgeable, objective and scrupulously fair. Then we could have proper discussions about the issues that matter.

What matters to you. Does not necessarily, matter to others.

secrets in symmetry
03-Sep-12, 00:36
What matters to you. Does not necessarily, matter to others.Indeed not, but there must be a lot of people like me who are interested in issues that don't matter to me. :cool:

Mystical Potato Head
03-Dec-12, 19:27
Thanks, saved me saying it. I would search out last year's thread but sufficed to say, same comments, same reasons etc etc.

Well,have things picked up or not.Seems pretty much the same now as it was several months ago.

fred
03-Dec-12, 21:00
Well,have things picked up or not.Seems pretty much the same now as it was several months ago.

How lively do you want it?

I'll see what I can do.

sids
03-Dec-12, 23:29
The last full battle in the UK was in 1745 where a force at least half Scots defeated a Catholic Jacobite attempt at a coup.

Yes, the much heard story that the Hanoverian army was mostly Scottish seems to be put about by people with "an agenda."

BP Charlie was a member of the Catholic Church, but much of his army was not.

Does any of this matter?

Not much.

neilsermk1
05-Dec-12, 13:42

Well if memory serves it was the Duke of Cumberland who took all the credit for it.

neilsermk1
05-Dec-12, 13:46
o how right you are. everything that gets posted seems to end up with people picking an argument
you are correct Bill who would want to put their head above the parapet just to be sniped at by the trolls

porshiepoo
07-Dec-12, 13:54
I haven't read all the other pages of replies but I'll let you know why I think the org has become quieter.
Years ago the org was place to interact with other orgers where you could start a thread on whatever subject tickled your fancy and you could reply to other threads with an honest, forthright opinion with no worries about the org police stepping in and either demanding a person be banned or demand the removal of the thread.
It aint like that any more!
For some reason this forum has turned into a site that discourages honest opinion unless it's all wrapped up in pretty packaging all topped off with a fancy bow. In other words once your reply to a thread is typed you then have to read it over and over again, changing its tone, re-wording it so not offend absolutely anyone until finally the reply does not accurately reflect what you were trying to say in the first place.
There was a time when I would interact on here daily but tbh I got sick and tired of thinking "oh, I best not put that" or "will that be read the wrong way" and then having to change everything in order not to ruffle any feathers that i'd delete the whole thing and go elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not suggesting we should have free access to be nasty people with no filter between the brain and the mouth but what has happened here is absolutely ridiculous.
I miss the days we could come on and say exactly what we thought, have an argument, apologise, make new friends and actually interact honestly with people. In fact one of the first people i got into a heated discussion with on here, many years ago, actually turned out to be a very good friend who took the time to visit my daughter when she was in hospital in Edinburgh.
Honest opinion was acceptable back then and it didn't need to be sugar coated but there then came the time when the Org was almost shut down completely and although it survived in the end, it just didn't have the same lure after that.

That's the org that I miss, that will sadly never return. There are so many orgers I miss interacting with but over time they've all become silent. :)

It's also to do with the fact that most acceptable topics have done to a death on here. I've often thought of starting new threads but the way it is on here now there is sure to be someone who takes offence to a word or a statement and moan about it until the demise of the thread.
In other words it's all pointless now.
The org will continue with the same boring content, with the same boring, filtered comments because no one can be bothered with the squabbling and holier than thou attitudes towards free speech.

Just my opinion mind ;)

Oddquine
08-Dec-12, 01:41

Same as it was a year or two ago as well. The org is what it is....and that's because the orgers are who they are.

secrets in symmetry
08-Dec-12, 18:27
As I always do, I will try to raise the level of objective debate and discussion on this forum - irrespective of the entrenched biases of those that don't understand....

Commore
08-Dec-12, 19:26
Think folk have decided to give the Org a miss due to the continual back biting, bitching and general nastiness there has been on the Org for quite some months, there has been a general decline over the past few years but it has sunk to some sad levels recently.
As soon as someone posts a comment or general remark about anything somebody comes on and slates them for holding that opinion, their grammer, spelling, or method of writing, makes them a laughing stock for making the comment or they are generally attacked.
I have a very thick skin but some of the attacks on the Org at times have been way out of order,
If someone is not sure about posting then observes all the nastiness on some of the postings it will make a normal person think twice or more about being able to take the hassle dished out on the Org and is it worth it?

:) my thoughts exactly!

Rheghead
08-Dec-12, 20:55
The people who killed the Org are the ones who take personal offence at having their disingenuous, malicious, ignorant, prejudiced, misinformed and downright stupid opinions being proved null and void (with referenced links) by the properly informed.

secrets in symmetry
08-Dec-12, 21:39
Yes, they play a huge role in ruining the forum - as I have stressed previously.

Then there is the elephant in the room....

Oddquine
08-Dec-12, 23:55

Actually.........we need less people like you who think that they know it all and troll eternally. You only have to read your posts on this thread to see your trolling propensities.

secrets in symmetry
08-Dec-12, 23:57
How lively do you want it?

I'll see what I can do.Ask not what you can do for your forum - you might get crushed by the elephant. RIP fred's forum persona. :(

Oddquine
09-Dec-12, 00:00
The people who killed the Org are the ones who take personal offence at having their disingenuous, malicious, ignorant, prejudiced, misinformed and downright stupid opinions being proved null and void (with referenced links) by the properly informed.

No, the people who have killed the org are those who give personally directed offence because they think anybody other than them have only disingenuous, malicious, ignorant, prejudiced, misinformed and downright stupid opinions...and those people who have killed the org never give referenced links to combat the views of the disingenuous, malicious, ignorant, prejudiced, misinformed and downright stupid.

That is trolling, imo.

secrets in symmetry
09-Dec-12, 00:19
fred was a legend on this forum. He knew the world's press inside out. Why were his views so unacceptable to the many? Was he martyred for them?

Flynn
09-Dec-12, 00:40
fred was a legend on this forum. He knew the world's press inside out. Why were his views so unacceptable to the many? Was he martyred for them?

Someone was banned for their opinions? Really? That's something I've never seen on the web before!

secrets in symmetry
09-Dec-12, 00:48
Someone was banned for their opinions? Really? That's something I've never seen on the web before!I don't know why he was banned. I hope it wasn't for his opinions - even though I often don't agree with them.

fred's a fine loon with a great sense of humour. My eyes and ears have witnessed his fingers tickling the ebonies and ivories on several occasions. :cool:

Flynn
09-Dec-12, 10:00
Is there a list on the site anywhere of topics we can and can't talk about? I wouldn't want to be banned for posting about the wrong subject.

golach
09-Dec-12, 11:40
Is there a list on the site anywhere of topics we can and can't talk about? I wouldn't want to be banned for posting about the wrong subject.

I would suggest that you have a read of the Forum Rules, that may answer your question

Flynn
09-Dec-12, 11:42
I would suggest that you have a read of the Forum Rules, that may answer your question

I did. There was no list of off-limits topics. Off-limits behaviours and language, yes, but no list of topics. And the biggest list of off-limits email domains I have ever seen! (what's all that about?)

So it is true then? A person was banned for their opinion/topic choice? Then we really need a list of topics, I wouldn't want to fall foul of what can and can't be talked about.

EOS
09-Dec-12, 12:56

Hey you have forgotten modest!!!!! I think this quote answers the question.

billmoseley
09-Dec-12, 14:17
i have concluded the org is alive and well. just look how long this thread has gone on for lololol. case closed

oldmarine
09-Dec-12, 20:02

golach makes a good point. Following the rules usually helps. As for the Org, it doesn't appear to be dead to me.

porshiepoo
09-Dec-12, 21:25
The org isn't dead - yet ;) but a few years ago no one would have had to ask the question "who killed the org". The "Org" was very much alive with decent, interesting conversations with no fear of the org police putting an end to any orger who dared to insult the sensibilities of the few.
Rules were followed ......... mostly, but even with the odd insult flying around it was still a good place to have a chat and talk openly and honestly.

golach
09-Dec-12, 21:30
Rules were followed ......... mostly, but even with the odd insult flying around it was still a good place to have a chat and talk openly and honestly.

IMHO the Org is not dead, I am still in contact on a daily basis with a select group of Orgers. We chat nightly.
The onset of Facebook maybe helped deminish the popularity of the "Org", many of my Orger friends meet there also.......Long Live the Org!!

porshiepoo
10-Dec-12, 16:01
IMHO the Org is not dead, I am still in contact on a daily basis with a select group of Orgers. We chat nightly.
The onset of Facebook maybe helped deminish the popularity of the "Org", many of my Orger friends meet there also.......Long Live the Org!!

I agreed the Org is not dead! I'm simply saying it's not the interesting, fun place it used to be either. Yes the tantrums got a bit tedious even back then but at least a person could put their point across the exact way they wanted to say it without fear of a ban.
I miss interacting with the orgers of old - yourself included - in the way that we used to be able to do it :(