PDA

View Full Version : Books

tillygirl
06-Dec-06, 10:31
What's the best book you've ever read? Years ago I read 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoyevsky and I think its one of those books everyone should read.

unicorn
06-Dec-06, 10:38
Mine was the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Absolutely loved them.

lelebo
06-Dec-06, 10:49
I loved them too - I read the first one and didn't go back to it for years then started again and read the lot one after the other - brilliant!! I liked the Talisman too - co-written with Peter Straub - great story!

porshiepoo
06-Dec-06, 10:53
Gosh theres so many.
'Gone with the wind' would have to be my absolute favourite, so much so that I've read it about 7 times.
'Roots' has to be up there with the best though too.

golach
06-Dec-06, 11:04
I agree there are so many to choose from, I prefer fiction
so my favourite is Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy, but I like a miriad of authors

Through
06-Dec-06, 13:09
The Stone by Nigel Tranter. Genius fiction with historical truth and fascinating for those who care about the Scots.

obiron
06-Dec-06, 13:37
I must be right boring cause i really enjoy the harry potter books. liked the lord of the rings ones too. the most interesting one i read was about FBI profiling. the guy who wrote it profiled loads of modern day murders in it.

Humerous Vegetable
06-Dec-06, 15:02
I love the Terry Pratchett "Discworld" series and anything by Peter Tinniswood.

Whitewater
06-Dec-06, 16:03
There are many good and great books which I have read over the years. To list them all would be boring, and also some of the titles would perhaps appear boring to many of you as well.

However, one of my favourites was "Out of Africa". I am also a great Wilbur Smith fan.

bobsgirl
06-Dec-06, 16:08
Just like Obiron I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, they were written so well.
Now I am in the middle of the Wilbur Smith books, 'The Courtney Series'
Once I picked up a book I could not put it down where as with the Harry Potter ones I would limit myself to a few chapters at a time.
Well worth a read!!

rich
06-Dec-06, 16:34
Anything by Elmore Leonard, America's greatest living crime writer with the best dialogue.
Alan Furst for his wonderful evocations of life and resistance in Paris during the Nazi occupation.
In search of lost time by Marcel Proust because of it's total decadence and its total wisdom.

Kaishowing
06-Dec-06, 16:39
So many to choose from!
Far too many to choose one above all others....Tom Clancy, Eric Lustbader, Raymond E Feist, David Eddings, Stephen Donaldson, Tolkein, Robin Hobb, Stephen Lawhead (whos 'Celtic Crusades' trilogy has some local references), but I can keep rereading the major titles from Alexandré Dumas (The Count Of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, 20 Years After).

Does anyone else think that reading for recreation is something only children and adults seem to do? (mainly at least!)
I wonder how many teeneagers would rather get a book to a DVD this Christmas?

henry20
06-Dec-06, 16:50
My hubby bought me a book for Christmas 2 years ago and I was dreading reading it. It was called Me & Emma. I didn't want to appear ungrateful, so started reading it and thoroughly enjoyed it - in fact, I used it for my Higher English exam. I also bought another book by the same author (Elizabeth Flock) called But Inside I'm Screaming and thoroughly enjoyed it too!

I must admit that I'm quite partial to true stories at the moment, but I'm also terrible for starting a book, then setting it down and forgetting about it. I must have 5 books part read at the moment :roll:

Ricco
06-Dec-06, 17:54
Lord of teh Rings - no bout adoubt it. ;)

Ojibwa
06-Dec-06, 23:58
Some of my favourites are Greyfriars Bobby, The Narnia series, The Colour Purple, Beloved (Toni Morrison) Drowning Ruth, and any book by Maeve Binchy.

Bobinovich
07-Dec-06, 00:33
A American gentleman by the name of Robert L. Forward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Forward), while looking for a holiday home up here, was staying at the old Seaforth Motel in Castletown where my mum was working. At the end of his stay he presented my mum with a signed copy of his first book "Dragon's Egg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg)" which had recently been published.

As a Sci-Fi enthusiast I read it with interest and after passing the, extremely technical, first chapter, found it to be a fascinating read.

Years later I discovered that he had subsequently written a number of sequels, all of which I bought and read with relish.

One day, out of the blue, I got a phone call from a softly-spoken American gentleman asking if I could sort out his computer problems. When he gave his name as the same Bob L Forward I almost dropped the phone!

I paid numerous visits to his holiday home in Reay over the years, listened to (and surprisingly understood) many of his technical theories, and was saddened to hear that he had terminal Cancer in 2002.

If you give it a chance to get past the first technical section then give Dragon's Egg a try.

George Brims
07-Dec-06, 01:38
Wow Bobinovich that's a great story. I've read one or two of his books and also some popular science articles he wrote. He was a very smart man and one day I would love to see his ideas on space propulsion put into effect.

Kenn
07-Dec-06, 01:45
Think I must have the most dog eared copy of "Pride and Predjudice"..have loved that book for over 50 years.
Hey I'm with the Pratchett fans too but to list all the books I have enjoyed over the years would take more space than this site has!

scotsboy
07-Dec-06, 17:22
About a week before the story regarding Alexander Litvinenko broke I finished a novel by Martin Cruz Smith called Wolves Eat Dogs. I’ve read most of his novels, particularly those that feature the character Arcady Renko (a Moscow Detective), some may remember the movie Gorky Park. Anyway the key events in the novel revolve around two murders involving the administration of a quantity of radioactive material, although in this case it was caesium rather than polonium……..now I wonder if this idea was “created” by the author, or if during his research he had discovered some whisperings of radioactive material being use as means of liquidation?