PDA

View Full Version : Electric Car recharging points?

Rheghead
28-Aug-12, 11:59
I see that there is a recharge point for electric vehicles at Ackergill towers, presumably for hotel customers only, but are there any recharge points elsewhere in the county? I thought I read that Tesco at Wick were planning to install them but I can't find any reference to that now. Cheers.

I'm thinking of replacing my old and getting an electric vehicle mainly due to the attractive cost of the fuel and the fact that I don't tend to drive like a maniac, so I am looking at options for the moment. I just need a car with a range of ~75 miles and that will be adequate for my needs.

May be I should buy a local petrol garage and provide some electric points myself? :evil

Perhaps this might have saved the local garages? A bit of forward thinking? :(

Green_not_greed
28-Aug-12, 12:19
I'm thinking of replacing my old and getting an electric vehicle mainly due to the attractive cost of the fuel and the fact that I don't tend to drive like a maniac, so I am looking at options for the moment. I just need a car with a range of ~75 miles and that will be adequate for my needs.

As a matter of interest what do the fuel costs come to per mile at current electricity prices?

Thanks.

mi16
28-Aug-12, 12:22
I see that there is a recharge point for electric vehicles at Ackergill towers, presumably for hotel customers only, but are there any recharge points elsewhere in the county? I thought I read that Tesco at Wick were planning to install them but I can't find any reference to that now. Cheers.

May be I should buy a local petrol garage and provide some electric points myself? :evil

Perhaps this might have saved the local garages? A bit of forward thinking? :(

I am sure everyone has 4 to 5 hrs spare to stand about the forecourt waiting for their batteries to charge up.
Most houses have electric car recharging points.

Rheghead
28-Aug-12, 12:31
As a matter of interest what do the fuel costs come to per mile at current electricity prices?

Thanks.

The electric car (REVA G-wiz) that I have got in mind has a fuel cost of 2.1p/mile @12p/kWh, compare that to my existing vehicle of 25p per mile @£1.50/litre.

mi16
28-Aug-12, 12:50
The electric car (REVA G-wiz) that I have got in mind has a fuel cost of 2.1p/mile @12p/kWh, compare that to my existing vehicle of 25p per mile @£1.50/litre.

you are currently achieving 6miles per litre which equates to 27.2mpg, modern day fossil fuel powered cars (eg Smart fourfourtwo) can achieve up to 86mpg, so you could cut your fuel bill to 12.63p per mile, coupled with a better range.
The Gwiz battreries are only good for approx 12,000miles which equates to around 10p per mile as a new pack is £1200. Your real cost would be 12.1p per mile at current electricity costs, coupled with poor range and frankly a poor car also.

Rheghead
28-Aug-12, 12:51
you are currently achieving 6miles per litre which equates to 27.2mpg, modern day fossil fuel powered cars can achieve up to 86mpg, so you could cut your fuel bill to 12.63p per mile, coupled with a better range.
The Gwiz battreries are only good for approx 12,000miles which equates to around 10p per mile as a new pack is £1200. Your real cost would be 12.1p per mile at current electricity costs, coupled with poor range and frankly a poor car also.

The G-wiz is obviously not the car for you then.

mi16
28-Aug-12, 12:56
The G-wiz is obviously not the car for you then.

Nor the smart for that matter as they are both terrible vehicles.
The smart is also £1895 cheaper to purchase than the Gwiz

Rheghead
28-Aug-12, 13:05
Yes, battery packs are expensive, but I'm convinced that the price of them are set to go down as skim pricing subsides, as technology changes and as competition grows.

I suppose using an electric car needs a small change in lifestyle and driving habits which some are not prepared to make but some are.

donss
28-Aug-12, 13:32
G-wiz: not overly safe either... you wouldn't want to be in an accident in one of these. Best kept for pottering about in the back yard I think....

see: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323012/Top-scientist-killed-G-Wiz-electric-car-horror-smash.html Apart from the sad story about the death of a very successful & inteligent woman, the info in the news item makes interesting reading.

Oh, and there's Jeremy of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGp8Sha_mA

Rheghead
28-Aug-12, 13:41
G-wiz: not overly safe either... you wouldn't want to be in an accident in one of these. Best kept for pottering about in the back yard I think....

see: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323012/Top-scientist-killed-G-Wiz-electric-car-horror-smash.html Apart from the sad story about the death of a very successful & inteligent woman, the info in the news item makes interesting reading.

Oh, and there's Jeremy of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGp8Sha_mA

I wouldn't like to be in any road accident in any car for that matter. I know a lot of people who are simply put off riding a bicycle for the same reasons. Life is a risk, there is no way getting around that one.

mi16
28-Aug-12, 14:32
Now I see why they call that the G-wiz, that is a deathtrap on wheels.
Do youself a favour Rheghead by a car not a quadricycle.

Green_not_greed
28-Aug-12, 14:47

Thanks. Thats quite a considerable difference, but having looked at the G-Wiz I would question if it is suitable at all for Caithness roads, especially in winter. I have a Peugeot 107 which has delivered just under 13 miles per litre - equivalent to 11p per mile - since I bought it last year. However I would not use it south of Inverness as it does not handle well on wet roads and I wouldn't like to be stuck between a few trucks in it. I came to the conclusion that its probably best for city use, and Ok for short local runs. And that's despite a 4 star NCAP safety rating.

Rheghead
28-Aug-12, 14:50
Now I see why they call that the G-wiz, that is a deathtrap on wheels.
Do youself a favour Rheghead by a car not a quadricycle.

Thanks for the advice but I'm sure the Daily Mail and Jeremy Clarkson are not the fairest source of information on the electric car. :)

mi16
28-Aug-12, 15:51
Personally I let the pictures do the talking.
If my memory serves me correctly the Telsa got a good review from the Top Gear team, well apart from the poor range and the ridiculous re-fuel time.
I dont think electric is the answer driving 100 miles then a lengthy refuel is no use, hydrogen will be the long term way forward, all IMHO of course.

donss
28-Aug-12, 18:27
get onto ebay and get yourself an old NSU Quickly... lol

Rheghead
28-Aug-12, 18:58
get onto ebay and get yourself an old NSU Quickly... lol

Thanks for your advice, but I went on to Ebay to look for a G-wiz and there is only one listed for sale down at Forres. Which suggests to me that where recharging points are available then they are popular and where there isn't any then they aren't.

ywindythesecond
29-Aug-12, 00:03
Thanks for your advice, but I went on to Ebay to look for a G-wiz and there is only one listed for sale down at Forres. Which suggests to me that where recharging points are available then they are popular and where there isn't any then they aren't.
Can't you recharge an electric car at home from your mains or from your solar panels?

joxville
29-Aug-12, 00:56
Thanks for the advice but I'm sure the Daily Mail and Jeremy Clarkson are not the fairest source of information on the electric car. :) Okay, so we all know Clarkson is biased and the table was rigged, but that was a fixed object it crashed into, the damage if it was involved in a head on collision doesn't bear thinking about. I'm not against electric or hybrid vehicles, I seriously considered getting a Prius but it didn't have the space I need, but I could never drive one of those small cars, I'd rather be out of pocket and safe than dead rich!

joxville
29-Aug-12, 01:23
@ Rheghead. Have a look at my Facebook page for four reasons not to buy a small car :-)

Rheghead
29-Aug-12, 09:08
Yeah I see luggage space would be a serious issue in that case, perhaps a Fiat Brava?

joxville
29-Aug-12, 09:56
For the benefit of those who don't have access to my fb page, it's a pic of four women plus luggage hitch-hiking...topless :-)

Rheghead
01-Sep-12, 10:52
An excellent piece on electric vehicles in the Highlands. Seems that Highland are aiming for complete decarbonisation by 2050.

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=3251

Kodiak
01-Sep-12, 17:23
Rheghead have a look at the Renault ZOE, The Price is £13,650. It is not too small or too big as has good style. It looks like a good buy.

Click Link below for the Auto Express Review of the ZOE.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/18667/renault-zoe

Rheghead
01-Sep-12, 19:51
Thanks Kodiak, I'll certainly look at that EV, first impressions are good. :)

Neil Howie
01-Sep-12, 22:13
Just a wee note on the crash.

If your car isn't that great you think you might pay attention to the road, or the basics of car (or rather quadricycle) safety.

Quite sadly for a Dr. it would appear that she was quite unwise with respect to her conduct in a car:

“I said ‘well get off your phone then and concentrate’.” She was not wearing a seat belt because she thought it might crumple her coat.

from
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/268467/Driver-killed-as-electric-car-imploded-in-crash

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 11:59
Things are starting to move on the electric car front. Charging points are being installed throughout the Scottish road network.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21346299

ducati
06-Feb-13, 12:21
Things are starting to move on the electric car front. Charging points are being installed throughout the Scottish road network.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21346299

Just what we need, a bunch of milkfloats staggering about at 20mph. :eek:

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 12:30
Just what we need, a bunch of milkfloats staggering about at 20mph. :eek:

The new vehicles perform better than that, come on let's have a bit more optimism than that. Get on-message with renewables and a low carbon economy! :lol:

mi16
06-Feb-13, 12:42
The new vehicles perform better than that, come on let's have a bit more optimism than that. Get on-message with renewables and a low carbon economy! :lol:At present electric vehicles are a complete and utter expensive waste of time

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 12:50
At present electric vehicles are a complete and utter expensive waste of time

I disagree with that. Pretty cheap motoring really. You'd need to look at a Kia Rio to get better economy than an electric car.

But if your idea of motoring is a suped up mega beast with go faster stripes that does 100+ then forget electric cars, carry on with what you're doing. But then there is the Tesla...

mi16
06-Feb-13, 12:53
I disagree with that. Pretty cheap motoring really. You'd need to look at a Kia Rio to get better economy than an electric car. But if your idea of motoring is a suped up mega beast with go faster stripes that does 100+ then forget electric cars, carry on with what you're doing. But then there is the Tesla...There are quicker electric cars on the go than the tesla.Whilst charging is relatively cheap, it is time consuming and range is poor.Add in the cost of replacing the cells every so often coupled wit the inflated purchase of the vehicle you are as broad as you're long.

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 13:10
There are quicker electric cars on the go than the tesla.Whilst charging is relatively cheap, it is time consuming and range is poor.Add in the cost of replacing the cells every so often coupled wit the inflated purchase of the vehicle you are as broad as you're long.

So not a complete waste of time then? The range of the Renault Zoe is about 120 miles, recharging to 80% takes half an hour. I think that is quite acceptable, especially for a second car for the OH to commute locally, go shopping, dropping kids off etc. Even going down to Inverness and back. A lot of people do not have much need of a car to go above that. A petrol car performs really poorly in modus operandi like that.

mi16
06-Feb-13, 13:34
So not a complete waste of time then? The range of the Renault Zoe is about 120 miles, recharging to 80% takes half an hour. I think that is quite acceptable, especially for a second car for the OH to commute locally, go shopping, dropping kids off etc. Even going down to Inverness and back. A lot of people do not have much need of a car to go above that. A petrol car performs really poorly in modus operandi like that.Yes a complete waste of time at the moment.There is the added cost of £840 / year to lease the batteries.You only get the 30 min recharge time with industrial spec fast chargers, a standard domestic charge takes 9 hours.The 130 mile range is in optimum conditions, Renault themselves have admitted a more realistic range of 90 miles around town and 60 miles in cold conditions.

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 13:36
Where you are seeing hurdles, I am seeing opportunities.

mi16
06-Feb-13, 13:42
Where you are seeing hurdles, I am seeing opportunities.An opportunity to spend loads of time standing around waiting for your batteries to charge. Whilst other forms of transport carry on.

If you are so sold on the idea, put your money where your mouth is and commit to the car.
Then attempt a Thurso or Wick to Inverness round trip, and post back your timeline

ducati
06-Feb-13, 14:39
The new vehicles perform better than that, come on let's have a bit more optimism than that. Get on-message with renewables and a low carbon economy! :lol:

There is one I fancy.....but they are £80,000! :Razz

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 15:24
If you are so sold on the idea, put your money where your mouth is and commit to the car.
Then attempt a Thurso or Wick to Inverness round trip, and post back your timeline

I've been on the waiting list for the last 4 months or so, so yes I will thank you. I'm looking forward to not buying petrol and giving not money to polluting companies and oil rich countries.

mi16
06-Feb-13, 16:21
I've been on the waiting list for the last 4 months or so, so yes I will thank you. I'm looking forward to not buying petrol and giving not money to polluting companies and oil rich countries.Great, be sure to report on your adventure of getting to Inverness and back in a day.Do Renault not cause any pollution through their industry?

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 16:58
Do Renault not cause any pollution through their industry?

Yes, what is your point? Is it like the childish ribbing when the vegetarian sneaks a bacon sarnie when he thinks nobody is looking?

mi16
06-Feb-13, 17:00
Yes, what is your point? Is it like the childish ribbing when the vegetarian sneaks a bacon sarnie when he thinks nobody is looking?

Seems to be.
When is it getting delivered?

Flynn
06-Feb-13, 17:29
I'll wait for these to take off. They go into production this year. http://litmotors.com/c-1/

http://youtu.be/jICGl9jmulc (http://litmotors.com/c-1/)

Phill
06-Feb-13, 17:44
Doesn't the Asda's in Tain have leccy points fer milk floats?

mi16
06-Feb-13, 18:21
Doesn't the Asda's in Tain have leccy points fer milk floats?I reckon for a round trip to Inverness from Caithness with the Zoe you would be looking at a recharge in Tain, then again in Inverness which would get you back as far as Helmsdale then another recharge to get home.Provided there were high speed chargers fitted in these locations your trip will be added to by at least an extra hour.

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 18:52
I reckon for a round trip to Inverness from Caithness with the Zoe you would be looking at a recharge in Tain, then again in Inverness which would get you back as far as Helmsdale then another recharge to get home.Provided there were high speed chargers fitted in these locations your trip will be added to by at least an extra hour.

Availability of charging points is the subject of this project in the news. I often stop off on the way to Inverness for half an hour, usually at Golspie.

I reckon as time goes on, each new battery that is available for the cars will have more miles packed into it and the costs will come down. Like mobile phones really, if we thought we'd carry around an over-priced brick with a battery life of 3 hours without any scope for improvement then nobody wouldn't buy one.

mi16
06-Feb-13, 18:56
Availability of charging points is the subject of this project in the news. I often stop off on the way to Inverness for half an hour, usually at Golspie.I reckon as time goes on, each new battery that is available for the cars will have more miles packed into it and the costs will come down. Like mobile phones really, if we thought we'd carry around an over-priced brick with a battery life of 3 hours without any scope for improvement then nobody wouldn't buy one.

The best part of £14k is a big commitment on a hunch though.
What are the excess mileage charges like if you go over the 7500 miles per year, also will you ever own the batteries or are they always rented?

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 19:02
The best part of £14k is a big commitment on a hunch though.
What are the excess mileage charges like if you go over the 7500 miles per year, also will you ever own the batteries or are they always rented?

Well I spent well over £14,000 on solar panels and 18 months later you can buy them for less than £5000, so you are right it could pay to wait. But then it needed that initial interest to get the ball rolling so those that get into it later have them pioneers to thank. That is how economics works I guess.

Not sure of any extra charges but I'd be really surprised if I go over 7500 miles per year. As I said, it will be a good runabout.

mi16
06-Feb-13, 19:24
Well I spent well over £14,000 on solar panels and 18 months later you can buy them for less than £5000, so you are right it could pay to wait. But then it needed that initial interest to get the ball rolling so those that get into it later have them pioneers to thank. That is how economics works I guess. Not sure of any extra charges but I'd be really surprised if I go over 7500 miles per year. As I said, it will be a good runabout.Yes but the Solar prices are determined by the FIT.Good luck with the Zoe when it arrives. Keep us posted on how the Inverness trip goes.When are you expecting to take delivery of it?

captain chaos
06-Feb-13, 21:25
According to an Argonne National Laboratory report, if a plug-in hybrid charges from coal-generated electricity, it could be responsible for emitting up to 10 percent more greenhouse gasses than a conventional vehicle and up to 60 percent more than a standard hybrid.

With coal providing a third of the electric in the UK even pure electric vehicles are polluting

You would need another set of Solar panels just to charge your electric car to be truly green!!

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 21:56
According to an Argonne National Laboratory report, if a plug-in hybrid charges from coal-generated electricity, it could be responsible for emitting up to 10 percent more greenhouse gasses than a conventional vehicle and up to 60 percent more than a standard hybrid.

With coal providing a third of the electric in the UK even pure electric vehicles are polluting

You would need another set of Solar panels just to charge your electric car to be truly green!!

It cuts no ice with me I'm afraid Capt. but I'm glad you are interested in the subject enough to get a contrarian viewpoint.

If I really thought an electric vehicle was more polluting than a conventional vehicle then I wouldn't bother. No, Capt, really, I wouldn't. I don't blame you though, if we go online and look we can see black written as white and visa versa. It really is confusing sometimes when it comes to the green revolution. If we don't have a professorship then I suppose we have to go what our heart tells us.
There is a whole load of things that these reports don't give consideration to, like the energy mix, lighter size of the electric car etc. I haven't looked at the report, but I've seen others that give a similar pessimistic conclusion. Most are probably sponsored by major car manufacturers that are way behind the electric car game or sponsored by traditional fossil fuel companies. You can see them are scared of the potential of electric cars like less pollution, cheaper to run, no tankers on sea and road, no more money going to dubious middle east governments, etc etc. The benefits are manyfold.

Rheghead
06-Feb-13, 22:19
I've heard that a lot of campervan owners are interested in these electric cars. One of the problems they say is mobility once you park, so a small electric car towed behind is ideal. Then it can be refuelled using the campsite facilities for free with the cost of the site.

Flynn
06-Feb-13, 22:20

That's a nonsense put about by the oil industry.

Here's some truth about electric vehicles:

http://llewblog.squarespace.com/electric-cars/?currentPage=2

http://llewblog.squarespace.com/electric-cars/2012/10/11/the-truth-will-out.html

LMS
07-Feb-13, 00:21
Try BMW 116d Efficient Dynamics - 74mpg and zero road tax.

Wouldn't mind one myself if it wasn't for three teenage children to fit in the back seat.

Flynn
07-Feb-13, 14:46
... and zero road tax.

My 12 year old Escort has zero road tax too. I have to pay Vehicle Excise Duty though.

mi16
07-Feb-13, 15:17
My 12 year old Escort has zero road tax too.

Pervert...........

midgemagnet
11-Feb-13, 12:25
I have a nissan leaf - we've had it for about 18 months and thus far I think its the only fully electric car in the County.

We charge it at home overnight and do all the local runs out and and about (12000 miles so far), great car, comfortable, quick, quiet.....the range isn't a problem - you just have to manage with it.

Range is between 70 to 100 miles depending on summer/winter, how hard you drive it and whether you have the heating on. It costs buttons to run though we do also have solar panels which makes it more or less free to run for about 7 months of the year...and about 25 to 35% the cost of a conventional car to run otherwise.

We all like it and we'll keep it for a few years - yes I'd buy another - especially with better range. We have another car for longer trips but to be honest we hardly use it now...

The only charging point in the county is Ackergill though I've not used it. The most common question I get asked by people is - so where do you charge it?......thinking you can only charge it at a special charging station.....they seem surprised when I say I plug it in at home!

My missus used to run out of fuel about twice a year (!) she has run out of juice in the leaf once and had to go to a friends house to plug in for a couple of hours (she thought she'd charged it the night before....but hadn't).

Good luck with the Renault Zoe

Rheghead
11-Feb-13, 12:40
Thanks MM, I believe Pentland Lodge House in Thurso now has a electric car charging point. The green revolution is starting!

mi16
11-Feb-13, 13:06
I have a nissan leaf - we've had it for about 18 months and thus far I think its the only fully electric car in the County.

We charge it at home overnight and do all the local runs out and and about (12000 miles so far), great car, comfortable, quick, quiet.....the range isn't a problem - you just have to manage with it.

Range is between 70 to 100 miles depending on summer/winter, how hard you drive it and whether you have the heating on. It costs buttons to run though we do also have solar panels which makes it more or less free to run for about 7 months of the year...and about 25 to 35% the cost of a conventional car to run otherwise.

We all like it and we'll keep it for a few years - yes I'd buy another - especially with better range. We have another car for longer trips but to be honest we hardly use it now...

The only charging point in the county is Ackergill though I've not used it. The most common question I get asked by people is - so where do you charge it?......thinking you can only charge it at a special charging station.....they seem surprised when I say I plug it in at home!

My missus used to run out of fuel about twice a year (!) she has run out of juice in the leaf once and had to go to a friends house to plug in for a couple of hours (she thought she'd charged it the night before....but hadn't).

Good luck with the Renault Zoe

What is the serviceabel life of the batteries in the leaf?
What do replacements cost?

mi16
11-Feb-13, 13:10
Thanks MM, I believe Pentland Lodge House in Thurso now has a electric car charging point. The green revolution is starting!

And are the owners of Pentland House Lodge happy for joe public to rock up and use their charging point?

Rheghead
11-Feb-13, 13:28
And are the owners of Pentland House Lodge happy for joe public to rock up and use their charging point?

I don't know is the honest answer. But they do say they provide free charging for guests.

The Seaview hotel at JoG now has a charging point.

mi16
11-Feb-13, 13:46
I don't know is the honest answer. But they do say they provide free charging for guests.

The Seaview hotel at JoG now has a charging point.

What does it cost to procure and install one of these fast chargers?

Birons
11-Feb-13, 15:07
Although I have done my home work yet, I wouldn't mind my next van for the shop to be an electric one, it would suit our needs well. The question I would ask is why not have the charger as part of the vehicle so you can plug it in any three pin socket?

mi16
11-Feb-13, 15:09
Although I have done my home work yet, I wouldn't mind my next van for the shop to be an electric one, it would suit our needs well. The question I would ask is why not have the charger as part of the vehicle so you can plug it in any three pin socket?

Perhaps it requires more than 13A to operate.

Phill
11-Feb-13, 15:56
I may be wrong. But I understand one of the issues holding back charging points is the billing system, this normally uses 3G mobile signals for stand alone points thus rendering them difficult in remote locations. New installs like the new Asda at Tain would have these wired into the network they use for their tills etc. How difficult or costly this would be for Tesco Wick for example to retrofit is another issue, I guess it would not be economically viable by a long chalk.

Also for quick charging systems your looking at 3 phase supply upto 120Amps. I dunno how good / fast / different this actually compares across quick, semi quick and slow charging. Generally the slow charge is overnight which can be a plug in unit to your house supply, which would be fine if that gives you enough go go for your days need.

Birons
12-Feb-13, 10:09
Some good points made. I think the success will depend how simple it is to take some power on board, the ideal scenario will be to rock up at any super market or town centre car park and plug in, even if it's only to take a part charge.

mi16
12-Feb-13, 10:30
Some good points made. I think the success will depend how simple it is to take some power on board, the ideal scenario will be to rock up at any super market or town centre car park and plug in, even if it's only to take a part charge.

Also getting it off the road at night to charge will be a must, or carnage will result with folk tripping over extension leads to the kerbside.

Phill
12-Feb-13, 11:01
Also getting it off the road at night to charge will be a must, or carnage will result with folk tripping over extension leads to the kerbside.Oh I dunno, seen some 'interesting' adaptations from caravanners when they've had them outside the house to charge up. Couple of broom handles, 3 or 4 extension leads, bit of string and some gaffer tape and........ hang on........ Birons onto something here!!??:Razz

Flynn
12-Feb-13, 11:26
Maybe future electric vehicles will implement some kind of inductive charging. Charge points could then be built into all public parking bays, so vehicles charge while parked. The cost could be factored into the car parking charge.

mi16
12-Feb-13, 12:11
Or maybe the hydrogen fuel cell wil be developed, to negate the need for extension leads and the like in the motoring industry.

Tugmistress
12-Feb-13, 13:44
I am sure i saw a few bays for electric cars with charging points at Morrisons in Inverness the other day so now you have Tain (public use) and Inverness (public use) and where else?

Flynn
12-Feb-13, 15:00
Or maybe the hydrogen fuel cell wil be developed, to negate the need for extension leads and the like in the motoring industry.

It's a long way off. At the moment producing hydrogen is exorbitantly expensive and uses more energy than it provides.