PDA

View Full Version : The cant

spurtle
26-Aug-12, 10:43
I am very interested in the links between old Norse and what, in Wick, is known as the cant, a lot of which has a distinct norse feel to it. .
Reading Sir Walter Scott's diary of his visit to Orkney and Shetland, he writes of the North Ronaldsay people "they still speak a little Norse, and, indeed, I hear, every day words of that language; for instance Ja, kul (for Yes, Sir).
This sounds pretty like what I have heard here. Are there any speakers out there who can provide some more words? I would be interested in exploring links to old Norse.

Mystical Potato Head
26-Aug-12, 12:09
The people of Orkney and Shetland spoke Norn.
Heres a link to Orkneyjar and it gives a few examples of Norn including an old version of the Lords Prayer.
It was much more a spoken language than a written one so examples of it are not widespread.

http://www.orkneyjar.com/orkney/norn.htm

spurtle
26-Aug-12, 12:34
The people of Orkney and Shetland spoke Norn.
Heres a link to Orkneyjar and it gives a few examples of Norn including an old version of the Lords Prayer.
It was much more a spoken language than a written one so examples of it are not widespread.

http://www.orkneyjar.com/orkney/norn.htm

Thanks for that - it is a fascinating area - whereas it seems to have completely died in Orkney, there were still people who spoke the cant here recently, and I wonder if it bears a resemblance to Norn - or indeed - is it the same thing?

sids
26-Aug-12, 12:41
I am very interested in the links between old Norse and what, in Wick, is known as the cant, a lot of which has a distinct norse feel to it. .
Reading Sir Walter Scott's diary of his visit to Orkney and Shetland, he writes of the North Ronaldsay people "they still speak a little Norse, and, indeed, I hear, every day words of that language; for instance Ja, kul (for Yes, Sir).
This sounds pretty like what I have heard here. Are there any speakers out there who can provide some more words? I would be interested in exploring links to old Norse.

If you think the cant is a Norse dialect, you really need to go back to square one.

I think this thread is going to end up offending people.

Alrock
26-Aug-12, 12:46
There's a lot of "The Cant" up here... Can't do this, Can't do that.... That's why there is so many unemployed people up here... lol

mop top
27-Aug-12, 17:57
The "cant" as far as i know is a code language used by travellers. I do know a few words but couldnt post them on here:D

This language is fairly secretive and i doubt you will get many that know it to share it with you

spurtle
28-Aug-12, 12:23
The "cant" as far as i know is a code language used by travellers. I do know a few words but couldnt post them on here:D

This language is fairly secretive and i doubt you will get many that know it to share it with you

I know what you are saying, and that is a pity, as I think it has much older and more widespread origins. The travelling people had wonderful traditions in song, story and language, which, because of their itinerant way of life, had multiple oriigins.
You can send me a pm if you like - I have an Icelandic contact who is very conversant with old Norse and will look at similarities.