PDA

View Full Version : RIP Neil Armstrong

joxville
25-Aug-12, 21:00
I'll never forget being woken as a 4yr old to watch man landing on the moon, an event that instilled a life long fascination and love of the cosmos. Sadly I'll never be able to go there but whenever I look at the moon I'm always that 4 yr old kid again. RIP Neil.

Gizmo
25-Aug-12, 22:32
I'll never forget being woken as a 4yr old to watch man landing on the moon, an event that instilled a life long fascination and love of the cosmos. Sadly I'll never be able to go there but whenever I look at the moon I'm always that 4 yr old kid again. RIP Neil.

A true icon of the modern age, and someone who is actually worthy of the term.

R.I.P.

weezer 316
25-Aug-12, 22:46
Indeed. I say the moon landings are the greatest acheivement of mankind by quite some distance. Rarely is a countries intellectual and engineering capacity harnessed in unison to acheive something that inspires, which is a shame.

dousslesh
25-Aug-12, 22:59
A hero in every sense of the word. RIP Neil Armstrong -you inspired and will continue to inspire many generations of mankind,

poppett
25-Aug-12, 23:08
RIP Neil Armstrong

Rheghead
26-Aug-12, 00:01
RIP brave man, you sat back, enjoyed the ride and went where nobody had been before.

molly16
26-Aug-12, 00:58
Rip neil what's happening we space exploration nowadays in the 80 s we were going to have hotels in space?

oldmarine
26-Aug-12, 01:33
5 years younger than me but a true hero.

billmoseley
26-Aug-12, 09:46
Yes rip what a man it was almost a suicide mission. But he did it and who could forget that day and those immortal words.

pmcd
26-Aug-12, 09:46
A great pioneer and hero of his time, indeed of all time.

Kodiak
26-Aug-12, 11:16
Requiescat in Pace Neil Armstrong, you have taken your last Giant Step for Mankind, you did well.

http://i.imgur.com/FaFvx.jpg

John Little
26-Aug-12, 11:27
A fine man and from an old border family too - real reivers - he said that he considered Langholm to be his home. What a mark he made in history!

weezer 316
26-Aug-12, 12:18
Requiescat in Pace Neil Armstrong, you have taken your last Giant Step for Mankind, you did well.

http://i.imgur.com/FaFvx.jpg

Lol! Thats buzz aldrin

2little2late
26-Aug-12, 14:50
And now the truth may come out that man never actually walked on the moon. The biggest scam ever.

Dialyser
26-Aug-12, 15:04
And now the truth may come out that man never actually walked on the moon. The biggest scam ever.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone, but this one is nonsense in my opinion.

billmoseley
26-Aug-12, 16:43
And now the truth may come out that man never actually walked on the moon. The biggest scam ever. don't you think the Russians would have soon let the whole world know if it had been a hoax. they are still using some of the stuff left on the moon to transmit data back here. Next you will telling us there is no Santa

Corrie 3
26-Aug-12, 16:54
I was always worried that they would land on the Moon and for some reason not be able to take off again for the home trip. Thankfully that didn't happen and it turned out to be the most memorable piece of history.

RIP Neil..........

C3............:(

Alrock
26-Aug-12, 20:26

I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring this up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixmfnHSKqO8

oldmarine
27-Aug-12, 03:26

Yes and he was a citizen of the USA - the country you find fault because they are considered a superpower.

ducati
27-Aug-12, 09:11

Yes. I guess they must have teleported the 800 pounds or so of moon rock they brought back over all the 'missions' [lol]

If you are going to doubt something, pick one where there isn't a very large pile of physical evidence:roll:

golach
27-Aug-12, 09:17
Lol! Thats buzz aldrin
weezer, take a look at Buzz Aldrins face plate there is a reflection of Neil Armstrong showing

RecQuery
27-Aug-12, 10:26

This is probably one of the easiest to disprove conspiracy theories of all time. Penn and Teller even did an episode on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWZ_LCnkE7A), it was that easy. Hell even Mythbusters did an episode about it.

I particularly like how Buzz Aldrin punched one of the idiots spouting this theory in the face after being constantly harassed by the guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7KgdehBBsw). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBesDx1WQc) As in the guy would follow him around on a daily basis.

cptdodger
27-Aug-12, 15:09
Yes and he was a citizen of the USA - the country you find fault because they are considered a superpower.

Well, that was uncalled for.

Mystical Potato Head
27-Aug-12, 18:26

Yes he was a citizen of the USA but unlike most Americans he was quite,very modest and downplayed his achievements to the point of hardly ever talking about them.

joxville
27-Aug-12, 21:24
Oldmarine, I don't dislike everything American, but I'm not going to get into an argument about it because I started this thread to pay my respects to a great American, one who was and always will be first ever hero, I repect your position being an American; and for being a serviceman who did his duty during the war, I give you my thanks.

gleeber
27-Aug-12, 21:35
Ive been influenced by iconic Americans all my life and felt all the better for it. Neil Armstrong took the praise for thousands of extraordinary Americans and he knew it. Well done to him.
Old marines an icon too. His part in history is as important in its own way as Neil Armstrongs. Hopilong Cassidy was one of my earliest American icons and he was important too even though he lived in a fantasy world.:lol:

Kodiak
28-Aug-12, 00:06
Lol! Thats buzz aldrin

Not according to the NASA Site where I downloaded it from as it clearly stated that this was indeed Neil Armstrong.

joxville
28-Aug-12, 00:16
Lol! Thats buzz aldrinIt doesn't matter who it is, it's the sentiment behind Kodiak's message that counts.

secrets in symmetry
28-Aug-12, 00:33
weezer, take a look at Buzz Aldrins face plate there is a reflection of Neil Armstrong showing

Yes, it's Buzz Aldrin - it's one of the most iconic images from the mission. I have a hi-res poster of that image, and you can clearly see "E. Aldrin" written on Buzz's spacesuit.

The iconic quote that started the journey:

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills. Because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

John F Kennedy

The first words broadcast to Earth from another world:

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Neil Alden Armstrong

We lost a great man at the weekend, and the whole of Mankind is poorer for that loss. But we will never forget the giant leap the humble man took with just one small step.

RIP Neil.

squidge
28-Aug-12, 05:35
I remember being pulled out of my bed to watch the television - I was 4 and a half and it is one of my earliest memories. Neil Armstrong lived in a time where everything seemed possible. There was an excitement around the space programme which seemed to me to be a sense that anything was possible and that we should - literally - reach for the stars.

I looked at the moon last night and thought of Neil Armstrong.

joxville
28-Aug-12, 08:42
I remember being pulled out of my bed to watch the television - I was 4 and a half and it is one of my earliest memories. Neil Armstrong lived in a time where everything seemed possible. There was an excitement around the space programme which seemed to me to be a sense that anything was possible and that we should - literally - reach for the stars. I looked at the moon last night and thought of Neil Armstrong.We're the same age :-) I was also 4 when I was woken by my dad to watch man land on the moon, it stirred in me a lifelong fascination with space. I remember I got my dad to buy the different newspapers at the time so i could pin the front page pictures to my bedroom wall, a few years later I binned them; how I wish I'd kept the original newspapers! Three short years later my dad died aged 45, so I don't care what the conspiracy theorists say, they'll never be able to destroy one of my earliest memories. In my eyes two great men died 40 years apart but they'll always be my heros.