PDA

View Full Version : J.Fats Band

Gleber2
05-Dec-06, 14:48
J.Fats Band are playing in the Blackstairs, Wick on Friday 8th December and the Newmarket Bar, Thurso on the 10th. Y'all come.

moncur
05-Dec-06, 14:51
what's the start time for each gig? missed the majority of the newmarket gig last time.

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Dec-06, 14:56
Any dates nearer Xmas, Gleber2? I'm only in town as long as James Bond would be, and would love to catch a show.

www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie

Gleber2
05-Dec-06, 15:11
what's the start time for each gig? missed the majority of the newmarket gig last time.

Any dates nearer Xmas, Gleber2? I'm only in town as long as James Bond would be, and would love to catch a show.

www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie (http://www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie)

Moncur, Friday is a 9.30 start and Sunday from 4 onwards as long as I can still stand.

Pepsi, Christmas eve in the Newmarket. Afternoon until whatever. Sutherland and Son are in the Grove on Mad Friday. I guess I have always been a bit masochistic. Back Bridge Street Club on the 23rd December for a free dance.
So you have no excuse Pepsi. See you.

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Dec-06, 15:38
Moncur, Friday is a 9.30 start and Sunday from 4 onwards as long as I can still stand.

Pepsi, Christmas eve in the Newmarket. Afternoon until whatever. Sutherland and Son are in the Grove on Mad Friday. I guess I have always been a bit masochistic. Back Bridge Street Club on the 23rd December for a free dance.
So you have no excuse Pepsi. See you.

Glutton for punishment there, Gleebsy. Still, I'll be there with bells on. D'ye ken any Little Feat songs I can sit in with you on? ;-)

Chobbersjnr
05-Dec-06, 16:01
Glutton for punishment there, Gleebsy. Still, I'll be there with bells on. D'ye ken any Little Feat songs I can sit in with you on? ;-)

hey we're not having the likes of ye on stage wi us:Razz :Razz I mean you have to be a chancer of the highest order to be on stage with us. Guess you'll have no probs then mwahaha

nah G2 does a mean version of willin' & I can get my croak around Dixie Chicken

I used to do Tripe Face Boogie but it's a nightmare of a toon

haha look forward to seeing ya Pepsi, are you coming with....erm......shwing shwing.......what's her name???? I've forgotten, to much tea (obviously)

zebedy
05-Dec-06, 17:19
I mean you have to be a chancer of the highest order to be on stage with us.
(obviously)

????

am i a so called chancer too! hee hee

moncur
05-Dec-06, 18:01
????

am i a so called chancer too! hee hee

Thats the best way to be. Duress consists of only Ben and Dave. Me and bones just turn up with guitars and amps in the hope of being mistaken for band members.

Kev_Plastic_Food
05-Dec-06, 18:41
Thats the best way to be. Duress consists of only Ben and Dave. Me and bones just turn up with guitars and amps in the hope of being mistaken for band members.

Why on earth would you want to be mistaken as associating with ben? :)

Gleber2
05-Dec-06, 20:39

Are Duress and, er, er, Hatemachine hijacking my thread?

Magnus Flaws
05-Dec-06, 21:45
Glad to see your still at it Johny(playing I mean), found the running list for the Garrison Concert, does the world really need to know what we played?

Chobbersjnr
05-Dec-06, 22:04
Glad to see your still at it Johny(playing I mean), found the running list for the Garrison Concert, does the world really need to know what we played?

crivvens spill the beans Magnus

I'll put money on it we still do a fair number of the songs on the list

I still sweat more backing "The Fats" than anybody I've ever worked with, was he the same in the prehistoric days?? I'll bet he was

LMAO take care Magnus

"son of Fats"

canuck
05-Dec-06, 22:12

Yes we do! Spill beans please.

Chobbersjnr
05-Dec-06, 22:44

haha

he does just hang around doesn't he, with everyone wondering who he is

canuck
05-Dec-06, 22:49
Are Duress and, er, er, Hatemachine hijacking my thread?

Yes, G2, I think that you can consider your thread hijacked.

Gleber2
05-Dec-06, 23:05
Remember playing with Rod Stewart in the Town hall? I asked him if he recalled the gig and he replied" Oh yes, twenty people and fifteen pissed". It is hard to take in that that was 43 years ago.
The Garrison playlist!!!! What a squirrel you must be. I can recall a few of the songs but not many. Reveal all, I don't care.
Of course I'm still playing. What else is there to do at my age!!!!and yours.

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Dec-06, 04:19
hey we're not having the likes of ye on stage wi us:Razz :Razz I mean you have to be a chancer of the highest order to be on stage with us. Guess you'll have no probs then mwahaha

nah G2 does a mean version of willin' & I can get my croak around Dixie Chicken

I used to do Tripe Face Boogie but it's a nightmare of a toon

haha look forward to seeing ya Pepsi, are you coming with....erm......shwing shwing.......what's her name???? I've forgotten, to much tea (obviously)

Sadly Julie (from Philly) won't be making the trip north, Chobbers. She was over here (again) recently, but due to being up to my oxters in work, we couldn't make it up north. She did wish to come back and visit the Head, however. One day...

Been listening the feets off of Little Feat recently. From Gringo to Texas Twister, from Strawberry Flats to George's Find A River, seems I can't get enough of Barerre and co.

Have since bought a new guitar - finally! (a Mexican black and white tele) - and a new amplifier - finally! (Fender Twin) - so if you have a tune in mind I could sit-in on, it'd be much obliged. I'll have the new axe up with me, and, yes, ready to grind out any country-funk number you have in mind. Cissy Strut (Meters)? The Girl I Love With The Long Black Wavy Hair? (Led Zep)? Right Place Wrong Time (Dr John)? Just thought I'd demonstrate my audacity.

Can't wait to see the J. Fats band back in action. Last time I saw the full outfit in full flow was in the Coral Lounge, Hendrix's Stone Free being stripped down and fattened back up, so to speak. Maybe I can fix a live review for yez? I'll try and arrange it...

TPC

Gleber2
07-Dec-06, 22:29
Been listening the feets off of Little Feat recently. From Gringo to Texas Twister, from Strawberry Flats to George's Find A River, seems I can't get enough of Barerre and co.

Have since bought a new guitar - finally! (a Mexican black and white tele) - and a new amplifier - finally! (Fender Twin) - so if you have a tune in mind I could sit-in on, it'd be much obliged. I'll have the new axe up with me, and, yes, ready to grind out any country-funk number you have in mind. Cissy Strut (Meters)? The Girl I Love With The Long Black Wavy Hair? (Led Zep)? Right Place Wrong Time (Dr John)? Just thought I'd demonstrate my audacity.

Can't wait to see the J. Fats band back in action. Last time I saw the full outfit in full flow was in the Coral Lounge, Hendrix's Stone Free being stripped down and fattened back up, so to speak. Maybe I can fix a live review for yez? I'll try and arrange it...

TPC

I never even played on Stonefree!!!! I reckon a sit-in would be on the cards.
Seems like a long time ago that we played in the Coral. Different band in many respects. Like the changes though.
Don't forget folks, all paths lead to the Blackstairs tomorrow and the Newmarket on Sunday.

Reev
08-Dec-06, 00:09
why would anyone want to hang with me, cause im ace, i make all these bands what they are, everyone wants me, look at me, im ACE, haha

hijacking the thread, oh no no, maybe until i arrived, now your thread is a MUST READ :lol:

Chobbersjnr
08-Dec-06, 02:57
I saw Reev's name & just had to read this thread.....

I played Stone Free, Twas me all me I'm the one you want. I recall playing it on a vester tele with kent armstrong pickuperators on id'

man the Coral was a drag of a gig to set up in BLEH. Only good thing was rattling Dougie Budge's ornaments off the wall next door[lol] [lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-06, 06:05
You're right. Twas 'e Chobbers I mient seeing playing Stone Free. And it was the only gig I'd ever been to where the singer had the ability to 'turn down' the drummer whenever he started to play too loudly. Fantastic.

Now where do I plug in?

Gleber2
08-Dec-06, 14:18
You're right. Twas 'e Chobbers I mient seeing playing Stone Free. And it was the only gig I'd ever been to where the singer had the ability to 'turn down' the drummer whenever he started to play too loudly. Fantastic.

Now where do I plug in?

Are you going to bring your amp and guitar? You will be welcome to sit in and as most of my repertoire these days is blues based, I don't think we need be too concerned about what you can or cannot play with us. Bring it on!!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Dec-06, 18:03
Fan-tass-teek. Send me a peedie wee listy then of all yer tunies, so I can get a heid start. The blues, as if everyone didn't know already, is number one. Woo-hoo!!!

Gleber2
08-Dec-06, 18:21
Fan-tass-teek. Send me a peedie wee listy then of all yer tunies, so I can get a heid start. The blues, as if everyone didn't know already, is number one. Woo-hoo!!!

If you need to know the tunes, you're not a blues player!!!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-06, 00:49
I'm a charlatan at best. But I do like to be pre-prepared. Go on, divulge yer set list...

please?

Deemac
09-Dec-06, 01:45
Pepsi,
A word of advice!!

From experience, you need to have a VERY flexible musical depth.

No set lists, no key prompts or tempo que. (He just starts . . . .)

You just play music, and hope that it works. (or you'll get the STAMP!!)
- which instantly destroys your sence of the tempo.

This is either a stimulus to you, or your out of your depth.

Its great fun - out on the edge of the limb for as long as possible.

Enjoy!!:eek:

zebedy
09-Dec-06, 14:36
yeah theres not a set list when it comes to playing with The J Fats band.... lol

I asked for one when i played with them... and they didnt have one!... Just played what they wanted when they had the 6 strings in there hand and a mic infront of them...

Just had to go along!

lol

Gleber2
09-Dec-06, 15:53
yeah theres not a set list when it comes to playing with The J Fats band.... lol

I asked for one when i played with them... and they didnt have one!... Just played what they wanted when they had the 6 strings in there hand and a mic infront of them...

Just had to go along!

lol

And you loved it, didn't you?

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-06, 16:04
Pepsi,
A word of advice!!

From experience, you need to have a VERY flexible musical depth.

No set lists, no key prompts or tempo que. (He just starts . . . .)

You just play music, and hope that it works. (or you'll get the STAMP!!)
- which instantly destroys your sence of the tempo.

This is either a stimulus to you, or your out of your depth.

Its great fun - out on the edge of the limb for as long as possible.

Enjoy!!:eek:

Be just like following Elvis, then. I just didn't know I'd need to spend a month or two at the Jedi-mind-trick School of Thought first. OK... one, two, three, four!

scotsboy
09-Dec-06, 17:36
Gleber2 wrote
Remember playing with Rod Stewart in the Town hall? I asked him if he recalled the gig and he replied" Oh yes, twenty people and fifteen pissed". It is hard to take in that that was 43 years ago.

Surely Rod's memory must be going - 5 sober people in the Town Hall, can't see that myself.

Chobbersjnr
09-Dec-06, 18:33
Be just like following Elvis, then. I just didn't know I'd need to spend a month or two at the Jedi-mind-trick School of Thought first. OK... one, two, three, four!

or "key of A"

one two three four....................

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Dec-06, 18:42
I think I'll sneak along to the first Crimbo show incognito to get some sneaky tips. "OK, guys, this one's in 19/17 time - go!"

Reev
12-Dec-06, 01:59
I saw Reev's name & just had to read this thread.....

Well that is understandable chobbers ma man

MWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

:roll:

Jeemag_USA
12-Dec-06, 02:16
Wish I could have been there but I am too far away. Many happy memories of listening to the band in the Orange Room though, way back in the day, when Isaac was a peedie wee cheel in a white shirt and black troosers suppin on a coke and thrashing a mean beat on the drums :)

Hope the gig went well!

moncur
13-Dec-06, 14:23
Wish I could have been there but I am too far away. Many happy memories of listening to the band in the Orange Room though, way back in the day, when Isaac was a peedie wee cheel in a white shirt and black troosers suppin on a coke and thrashing a mean beat on the drums :)

Hope the gig went well!

He still is a peedie wee chiel!!!!!

Gleber2
13-Dec-06, 16:11
He still is a peedie wee chiel!!!!!

Wi a beeg heid an beeeeg muscles. Watch yersel eh?

scotsboy
13-Dec-06, 16:53
and from my recollections yur whole clan can handle themselves!

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Dec-06, 17:25
Is that a Frank Zappa lyric in yer sig. scotsboy?

moncur
13-Dec-06, 18:03
Wi a beeg heid an beeeeg muscles. Watch yersel eh?

lol no worries mr fatts, was only meaning in height compared to me. nowt more than that.

Chobbersjnr
18-Dec-06, 01:50
lol no worries mr fatts, was only meaning in height compared to me. nowt more than that.

am watchin' ye bey:cool:

zebedy
18-Dec-06, 16:52
And you loved it, didn't you?

must admit it was a challenge which is good!

Just was pooing my pants incase i ruined a song for u ? lawl

but got through it without to many muck ups??

i hope

ha ha

Chobbersjnr
20-Dec-06, 20:08
KERSPLATT!!!!!!

playing live in the Grove Lounge 22nd, Back Bridge St. club 23rd, 24th & 26th in the Newmarket

PS don't forget D&D now.....