PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hours to stop surveillance law, government wants to give itself new spying powers

RecQuery
23-Aug-12, 12:11
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_the_big_brother_law_2/

The government wants to give itself new powers to spy on our Internet and email use in real time -- but a massive national outcry can save the Internet and stop the big brother law.

Public outrage has been growing and news reports suggest that Cameron and Clegg are being forced to slow down their march to secure draconian powers to spy on what we do online. The government is currently accepting public input on this bill and if we flood that process with our objections now, we can persuade them to back off the big brother bill for good.

The last time this was mooted in Parliament it failed precisely because of strong public opposition. Our call to Cameron, Clegg and Home Secretary Theresa May can protect our privacy and save the Internet. We have only 24 hours left before the public input process closes -- sign the petition to beat back big brother, then forward it widely and all our voices will be sent to the review together on Thursday.

ducati
23-Aug-12, 13:16
If you have nothing to hide what is the problem?

Alrock
23-Aug-12, 13:45

It's the principle of the matter....
So... you'd have no objection to CCTV cameras being set up in your house feeding a live stream to GCHQ Big Brother style then since you have "nothing to hide"?

RecQuery
23-Aug-12, 16:27

I find it hard to tell when you're joking and being serious. I can only hope the former in this case. As with all internet legislation, I'm not worried personally it won't affect or stop me from doing anything.

*Martin*
23-Aug-12, 17:48
Signed it!

ducati
23-Aug-12, 18:16
It's the principle of the matter....
So... you'd have no objection to CCTV cameras being set up in your house feeding a live stream to GCHQ Big Brother style then since you have "nothing to hide"?

Don't be silly. The fact is your internet activity is already widely surveyed. By for instance, your employer or ISP, advertisers to name a few. Plus if the police need to, they can even seize your hard drives and forensically examine them. There is nowhere to hide nefarious activities.

ducati
23-Aug-12, 18:21
I find it hard to tell when you're joking and being serious. I can only hope the former in this case. As with all internet legislation, I'm not worried personally it won't affect or stop me from doing anything.

Perhaps being glib. But, seriously, there is a hell of a lot of illegal activity on the net. We demand protection but cry foul when the authorities try to get the tools.

Then people like you want total control over all information. You demand people like Assange can get it for you but when the boot is on the other foot......

luskentyre
23-Aug-12, 23:42
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_the_big_brother_law_2/

The government wants to give itself new powers to spy on our Internet and email use in real time

Who do you think is watching the activity of 42 million internet users in real time? The answer of course is no one. It's like CCTV - people are paranoid that someone is watching them, but the reality is that it's saved for a finite time, to be used in the event of an incident. Only a negligible percentage of footage is ever viewed and even then, with good reason.

Let's be honest - who does anything online that is interesting enough to warrant real time observation? My real concern is that rampant paranoia like this prevents the legitimate surveillance of genuine threats and therefore protects the very people who threaten our freedom. You have to ask yourself, which is more important?

RecQuery
24-Aug-12, 07:55
I'm rather saddened that the prevailing attitude here seems to be: Won't someone please think of the children, if you have nothing to hide why should you care. You people would probably love the Chinese Internet.

ducati
24-Aug-12, 08:44
I'm rather saddened that the prevailing attitude here seems to be: Won't someone please think of the children, if you have nothing to hide why should you care. You people would probably love the Chinese Internet.

So instead of sulking why don't you explain why we are wrong?

RecQuery
24-Aug-12, 08:46
So instead of sulking why don't you explain why we are wrong?

I should have to explain why a government spying on its people without obtaining a warrant and with no just cause is a bad thing?

ducati
24-Aug-12, 08:53
I should have to explain why a government spying on its people without obtaining a warrant and with no just cause is a bad thing?

Yes that's why I asked. Instead of your condescending attitude try actually discussing your reasoning.

RecQuery
24-Aug-12, 09:11
Yes that's why I asked. Instead of your condescending attitude try actually discussing your reasoning.

In such a situation shouldn't the people in favour of the spying have to justify their reasons.

ducati
24-Aug-12, 12:52
In such a situation shouldn't the people in favour of the spying have to justify their reasons.

Well if you don't know.........

badger
24-Aug-12, 17:05
Surely everyone knows that nothing on the internet is private/secure, including emails? If someone, including Govt., wants to see what you're doing and they have the knowhow, they can and will.

smithp
24-Aug-12, 19:33
As long as they don't start arresting folk for sarcasm I 'll be alright.

Doolally
25-Aug-12, 14:15
If it gets a few terrorists/criminals off the streets then I'm all for it. I've nothing to hide with what I do online so I've nothing to worry about.