PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Trading vs Keeping Sunday special?

Rheghead
20-Aug-12, 15:57
I see that large stores in England were allowed to stay open longer than the usual 6 hours during the Olympics but moves are afoot to make that permanent. Does this apply to Scotland as well?

By the way, I'm all for keeping Sunday Special by having shops closed on a Sunday if that is what shopkeepers want, nothing should make shops open against the owners wishes.

charlie
20-Aug-12, 16:08
The changes would not apply to Scotland.
Scotland had Sunday shop opening years before England and Wales.

mi16
20-Aug-12, 18:17
What would make a shopkeeper open their doors against their wishes.
They arent forced to open up each day.

changilass
20-Aug-12, 18:21
No one is forcing them to open, so a bit of a non story..........
except for the ones who want to open that is.

pat
21-Aug-12, 08:00
Here on Lewis the only shop now open on Sunday is one of the local filling stations - licensed to sell alcohol, shotguns, fill you air tank too, along with all sweets, biscuits, icecream, magazines and papers but no Sunday papers as they do not come onto island in any quantity on a Sunday.

One chap bought Butt View stores in Bragar, decided to open on Sundays on taking over - should have checked his customers - many Free Church, so not only did he not get custom on Sundays but did not get any custom from them during the week, soon found religion but could not save his business!

On Lewis we have the only TESCO in UK NOT open on a Sunday - wonder if that will change if they manage to get a site to build a new large store? Will their attitude of there is only so much money on the island, it will not pay us to open on a Sunday, paying staff etc last once new store is in operation?

pmcd
21-Aug-12, 09:53
What time doesn't the Lewis Tesco open on a Sunday?

theone
21-Aug-12, 18:27
If people want to "Keep Sunday Sacred" for religious reasons they can refuse to shop rather than forcing others not to.

Religion is meant to be a choice, we shouldn't have others views rammed down our throats.

If the majority want shops shut on a Sunday, the majority won't shop on a Sunday and the shopkeepers will choose to close.

annemarie482
21-Aug-12, 18:43
If people want to "Keep Sunday Sacred" for religious reasons they can refuse to shop rather than forcing others not to.

Religion is meant to be a choice, we shouldn't have others views rammed down our throats.

If the majority want shops shut on a Sunday, the majority won't shop on a Sunday and the shopkeepers will choose to close.

theone, i couldnt agree more!!

pat
21-Aug-12, 21:19
In the 9 years I have lived on Lewis have gone into the filling station once on a Sunday as unexpectedly had very young guests to stay - their mum and dad were in the delivery room of the local hospital awaiting the arrival of No 3 earlier than scheduled.
Not enough milk in house for youngsters so after picking up youngsters stopped at garage on way home for milk, a few comics, colouring books and bubbles - the youngsters ended up staying until the next afternoon - very grateful that garage was open.
I do not shop usally on a Sunday on the island, when on mainland visiting I often shop on Sunday.
I do enjoy the peace on a Sunday on the island - only time phone rings is when it is off island person usually, nobody usually visits, slob out day, catch up on all sorts of things, it is your day to do as you wish in your home or go for a leisurely drive or wander on the beaches.

Agree with theone

If the majority want shops shut on a Sunday, the majority won't shop on a Sunday and the shopkeepers will choose to close

andrew.bowles30
21-Aug-12, 21:38
we need to stop telling people what they can and carnt do i thought it was a free life we have the gov telling us what to do is that not enough the church dose not tell us what to do it is just people that have made this i lived at glen shiel and respected the way they lived but went about my own life we can do that you know i did go to church when i was younger 5 times a week so im not against church its just we have our own choices in life :lol:

tiger woods
22-Aug-12, 18:43
Why cant we have both? If people want to keep Sunday 'special,' that's their choice. If people want to shop on a Sunday, that's their choice also. Why do we allow a tiny minority dictate to us? If I want to shop, I'll shop, if I want to slob, I'll slob and 'no wee free bible thumper' will tell me otherwise.
Last sunday I went to Tesco for shopping then came home and 'slobbed' for the rest of the day. See, I did both, others should do likewise.

badger
24-Aug-12, 17:13
What no-one seems to be considering is those who work in shops and don't want to work on Sundays for religious reasons. Small shops will lose trade if they don't open and anyone working in large shops/supermarkets will be under pressure to work. They might make it illegal to force people to work but I can imagine it being quite difficult to resist.

On the other hand, given the general shortage of priests/ministers, Sunday is the day they work hardest from early morning to evening. Which is odd.

pat
24-Aug-12, 18:05
We should also consider closing on Saturdays for Jewish Sabbath, Friday for Muslim Holy Day, what about other religions - do we ignore all other religions and the workers in those religions?

Rheghead
24-Aug-12, 18:17
We should also consider closing on Saturdays for Jewish Sabbath, Friday for Muslim Holy Day, what about other religions - do we ignore all other religions and the workers in those religions?

I would like to see the same approach for those religions as for christian owners. If they want the freedom to close their shop on their sabbath then let them, if they want the freedom to open on another religion's sabbath then let them.

That is fair, no?

veekay
24-Aug-12, 18:54
So what is the big deal about shops opening or not in Sunday? Nobody suggests hospitals shut on Sunday, nor that fire officers or the police stand down on Sunday. I haven't noticed that war stops on a Sunday (wish it would stop all together but that is another thread). Surely if it is not right for shop workers to choose to work on a Sunday it isn't right for anyone to work on a Sunday.

golach
24-Aug-12, 19:07
Bring Back "Bone Fide Traveler" drinking rules for a Sunday!!!

joxville
24-Aug-12, 20:03
Strange how your allowed to buy a non-essential pint of beer all day long on a Sunday but not food!