PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Questions

madmax
20-Aug-12, 00:44
I decided last year to start fishing again for the first time in about 25 years, now so far all I've really done is fish of Scrabster harbour and land a few mackerel.
When we were out with the dogs on Dunnet beach the other night loads of folk arrived and started fishing off the beach. What were they trying to catch?
We went to Scrabster after being there and there wasnt a soul fishing and same again on Thurso beach, not a soul. So what was so special about Dunnet beach??
Can someone give me a few tips of where I can go, what hooks I should use etc , just want to experience something different.
Also any suggestions where to take kids to catch anything at all, what hooks, bait etc to use.
Thanks in advance.

Connor.
20-Aug-12, 16:38
Hi MadMax,

The people at Dunnet were more than likely trying to catch Sea Bass (tide dependant).

As for places to go, hooks to use and baits; I use the following

Size 2 Barbed Hooks (think that's the right size)
4oz tear shaped weights
Baits of choice: Mackerel / Sandeels (mackerel will catch mostly anything)

Nice spots to go:

The old Scrabster pier, the one in parallel with the ferry cafe or whatever it's called.
Dunnet Beach (Just at the bottom of the stream at the turn of the tide)
There's a few nice places in Wick but I don't tend to head over that way for a cast.

If you go to Dwarwick Pier you're almost guaranteed to catch a dogfish (nasty things though). Scrabster, mostly flatties. I've got my girlfriend into fishing and on her first cast on saturday, she caught a decent sized Dab before I even got my rod set up!

Give me a PM if you're wanting a few other spots that could be quite good.