PDA

View Full Version : A Quiz for the know it alls

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 00:45
1) Complete the following Shakespearean sentence “ Alas poor Yorrick! I knew him…”?
2) Which character first Captained the USS Enterprise in the original series of Star trek?
3) In which African country is the highest peak, Kilimanjaro situated?
4) Which French painter (born in 1840) painted The Sunflowers?
5) What was Zimbabwe called before it became Zimbabwe?
6) Who invented the electric light bulb?
7) What is the UK’s most common bird?
8) What is the UK’s smallest bird?
9) Which is the largest lake in the English Lake District?
10) Who was prime minister of Britain when Saddam invaded Kuwait?

squidge
26-Jan-05, 01:42
1. horatio
2. Captain James T kirk
4.Van gogh
5. rhodesia
6.watt
8.wren

moncur
26-Jan-05, 06:05
1. Horatio; a fellow of infinate jest, of most excellent fancy
2. James T Kirk
3. Tanzania
4. Claude Monet
5. Rhodesia
6. Thomas Alva Edison
7. Starling
8. Wren
9. Lake Windermere
10. John Major

George Brims
26-Jan-05, 09:04
1: The whole sentence is " Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at it."
2: Tricky one. The first episode filmed had a different captain, Christopher Pike, played by Jeffery Hunter, but the network didn't like it and they recast it with Shatner as James T Kirk. I don't know if that original episode was ever shown or if you can get it on DVD.
3: Tanzania
4: Claude Monet
5: Originally Southern Rhodesia, but after the Unilateral Declaration of Independence it was known simply as Rhodesia (Northern Rhodesia became Zambia).
6: Sticky question. After Humphrey Davy invented the arc light a lot of people tried to make a better electric light source. Swan and Edison independently developed a light in an enclosed bulb (which stopped the filament from simply burning up). In the UK they settled their patent disputes by forming a joint company. I don't know if you can still buy "Ediswan" bulbs but I remember buying them.
7: Starling
8: Wren
9: Windermere
10: John Major

PS I'm not a know it all I'm a "Knows how to use google"

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 09:34
1: The whole sentence is " Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at it."
2: Tricky one. The first episode filmed had a different captain, Christopher Pike, played by Jeffery Hunter, but the network didn't like it and they recast it with Shatner as James T Kirk. I don't know if that original episode was ever shown or if you can get it on DVD.
3: Tanzania
4: Claude Monet
5: Originally Southern Rhodesia, but after the Unilateral Declaration of Independence it was known simply as Rhodesia (Northern Rhodesia became Zambia).
6: Sticky question. After Humphrey Davy invented the arc light a lot of people tried to make a better electric light source. Swan and Edison independently developed a light in an enclosed bulb (which stopped the filament from simply burning up). In the UK they settled their patent disputes by forming a joint company. I don't know if you can still buy "Ediswan" bulbs but I remember buying them.
7: Starling
8: Wren
9: Windermere
10: John Major

PS I'm not a know it all I'm a "Knows how to use google"

Sorry George, but you need some help with that Googe technique, you have got 4.5/10, :o)

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 09:37
1. Horatio; a fellow of infinate jest, of most excellent fancy
2. James T Kirk
3. Tanzania
4. Claude Monet
5. Rhodesia
6. Thomas Alva Edison
7. Starling
8. Wren
9. Lake Windermere
10. John Major

3/10 need to do better :o)

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 09:38
1. horatio
2. Captain James T kirk
4.Van gogh
5. rhodesia
6.watt
8.wren

1/10 sorry squidge :~(

©Amethyst
26-Jan-05, 12:13
1) Complete the following Shakespearean sentence “ Alas poor Yorrick! I knew him…”?
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is!
The tragedy of Hamlet

2) Which character first Captained the USS Enterprise in the original series of Star trek?
jean-luc pikard... on stardate 41124 (I sound like a trekkie... eep!)

3) In which African country is the highest peak, Kilamonjaro situated?
Tanzania, and it's spelt Kilimanjaro

Vincent Van Gogh. His sunflower paintings range from dates of 1887 to 1889... Art essays may be boring, but at least I learnt something lol.

Rhodesia

Thomas Alva Edison

Starling?

goldcrest?

wastwater? I know it's the deepest.

Margaret Thatcher

They say that you have most brain cells when you're younger, am 20 - killed most braincells off doing this, saying is no longer true! lol

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 12:16
4/10

©Amethyst
26-Jan-05, 12:17
plz pm me and tell me which ones I got right! lol Cheers!

Tugmistress
26-Jan-05, 13:35
1. well
2. captain pike
3. northern tanzania
4. Van Gogh
5. british (south)rhodesia
6. Edison
7. house sparrow
8 goldcrest
9. windermere
10. john major

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 13:37
1. well
2. captain pike
3. northern tanzania
4. Van Gogh
5. british (south)rhodesia
6. Edison
7. house sparrow
8 goldcrest
9. windermere
10. john major

3/10 This quiz is tricky, so don't be too put out

Julia
26-Jan-05, 14:33
1. well
2. Christopher Pike
3. Tanzania
4. Vincent Van Gogh
5. Rhodesia
6. Thomas Edison
7. Starling
8. Firecrest
9. Lake Windermere
10. John Major

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 14:35
1. well
2. Christopher Pike
3. Tanzania
4. Vincent Van Gogh
5. Rhodesia
6. Thomas Edison
7. Starling
8. Firecrest
9. Lake Windermere
10. John Major

2/10

squidge
26-Jan-05, 14:54
give us the answers pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

Riffman
26-Jan-05, 14:58
1. well
2. Christopher Pike
3. Tanzania
4. Vincent Van Gogh
5. Rhodesia
6. Thomas Edison
7. Starling
8. Firecrest
9. Lake Windermere
10. John Major

2/10

I make that 4/10

3. Tanzania
4. Van Gogh
5. Rhodesia
6. Edision (only because he patented it)

Do you actually know the answers? I am suspicious.... ;)

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 15:04
Yes I do have the answers, only one of those four is correct.

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 15:20
give us the answers pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

I will put you all out of your misery in due course...

There are no trick answers except possibly one but I will stand by my answer...

Julia
26-Jan-05, 15:21
No way did I get 2/10, he's tricking us

dpw39
26-Jan-05, 15:26
Please take not that their are only 3 lakes in the Lake district, all the others are either WATERs or MEIRs eg. Windermere, Wastwater etc. he he he :evil :evil :evil

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 15:26
No way did I get 2/10, he's tricking us

You have given the answers that are held by popular belief, not the true answers. If it comes as any compensation to you, I would have given the same. :o)

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 15:28
Please take not that their are only 3 lakes in the Lake district, all the others are either WATERs or MEIRs eg. Windermere, Wastwater etc. he he he :evil :evil :evil

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

Ooh, Dave how wrong but so close to the truth you are!! :evil

Goldfish
26-Jan-05, 17:50
1). Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he
hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred
in my imagination it is! my gorge rises at it.

2). James T Kirk.

3). Tanzania.

4). Claude Oscar Monet Painted "Bouquet of Sunflowers" in 1881 however I can find no painting titled "The Sunflowers".

5). Rhodesia.

6). James Bowman Lindsay1799-1862 Demonstration of electric light at Thistle Hall, Dundee 1836

7). Starling.

8). Goldcrest and firecrest are the smallest they are of equal size and smaller that that of the wren.

9). Bassenthwaite Lake.

10). Margaret Thatcher.

~~Tides~~
26-Jan-05, 17:57

Scorrie!!!

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 18:14
1). Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he
hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred
in my imagination it is! my gorge rises at it.

2). James T Kirk.

3). Tanzania.

4). Claude Oscar Monet Painted "Bouquet of Sunflowers" in 1881 however I can find no painting titled "The Sunflowers".

5). Rhodesia.

6). James Bowman Lindsay1799-1862 Demonstration of electric light at Thistle Hall, Dundee 1836

7). Starling.

8). Goldcrest and firecrest are the smallest they are of equal size and smaller that that of the wren.

9). Bassenthwaite Lake.

10). Margaret Thatcher.

6/10 now we are starting to think about it...well done goldfish

jjc
26-Jan-05, 18:57

First, being a know-it-all, I should point out you have spelt Yorick incorrectly.

Now that's out of the way:

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!"

If you don't want to take the exclamation mark as the end of the sentence, it continues: "my gorge rims at it."

Captain Robert April

Tanzania

Well, since Van Gogh wasn't French we can rule him out. Monet (French and born in 1840) did paint sunflowers but didn't paint a work titled 'The Sunflowers'. I can only assume you refer to Monet and didn't mean to capitalise The or Sunflowers.

Rhodesia

The first electric light was made by Humphrey Davey in 1980; however Frederick DeMoleyns encased the electric lamp in a bulb patented it in 1841.

Jade Goody ;)

Otherwise, the Starling.

The Goldcrest

Windermere is the largest body of water, but isn't technically a lake. Ullswater, the second largest body of water, isn't technically a lake either….

However, the Ordnance Survey say that Windermere is generally regarded as the largest lake and, even when not, Ullswater is accepted as one when determining area…

However, if you are going to be really pedantic and refuse to accept either of the above choices, I'd have to opt for Bassenthwaite Lake.

Iraq invaded Kuwait on August 2nd 1990. Major didn't become PM until November. So Iraq invaded Kuwait whilst Thatcher was in Number 10.

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 19:05
6/10 Knowing too much can be a disadvantage sometimes, yes 'The' was a typo. Any way well done.

colmac
26-Jan-05, 21:59
1. Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio : a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times

2. Jonathon Archer

3. Tanzania

4. Claude Monet

5. Southern Rhodesia

6. In 1800 by Humphry Davy, an English scientist
In 1860, the English physicist Sir Joseph Wilson Swan
In 1877, the American Charles Francis Brush
In 1879 Thomas Alva Edison

7. Blackbird followed by the Robin

8. Goldcrest and Firecrest are both 9cm/3.5 inches

9. Loch Lomond is a Scottish loch (or lake) located ... of about 2.6 km3. It is the largest of the lochs, and indeed the largest body of water in Great Britain(I know, I know, you said English lake district, but I am ever loyal)

10. Margaret Thatcher

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 22:29
colmac

You got 5/10 English lakes...

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 22:56
Horatio

Christopher Pike was the captain in the pilot episode of Startrek in 'The Cage', Pike didn't go down to well with the makers so William Shatner was brought in for the rest of the series. The Cage was not shown on UK TV until fairly recently.
Tanzania, some think its Kenya for some reason
Claude Monet
Zimbabwe Rhodesia This was the name adopted for Rhodesia in 1979 by Ian Smith and nonwarring black factions. After free elections the Rhodesia was dropped.
Joseph Swan He developed the fundamentals on which Eddison improved upon almost 20 years earlier. Eddison copied Swans design but both came up with a practical bulb simultaneously. So Swan has the credit for me.
Wren, common misconception is the starling
Goldcrest, common misconception is the wren.
Bassenthwaite lake is the only lake in the English lake district, the rest are meres, waters and tarns
Margeret Thatcher, most people think it was Major

jjc
26-Jan-05, 23:47
Horatio
Since when did a colon represent the end of a sentence?

Joseph Swan He developed the fundamentals on which Eddison improved upon almost 20 years earlier. Eddison copied Swans design but both came up with a practical bulb simultaneously. So Swan has the credit for me.
And yet this wasn’t until 1879 – a massive 38 years after DeMoleyns encased the electric arc in a bulb of glass…

8/10

Good, but not great considering it was your quiz… :roll: ;)

Rheghead
26-Jan-05, 23:54
I was only wanting Horatio :eyes

Crediting deMoyleyns with the electric light bulb would be like crediting Da Vinci with the helicopter, they had the right idea but invention needs something more substantial than that. DeMoleyns gave up, and his light did not have a filament which is an essential part of a bulb.
:cool:
10/10

You must admit they were questions that seemed fairly straightforward but really weren't?

DrSzin
27-Jan-05, 02:05

You must admit they were questions that seemed fairly straightforward but really weren't?
Sorry, Rheggers, but your first answer is plain wrong. The colon after Horatio does not denote the end of the sentence.

Also, Windermere is a lake by just about every common usage of the world "lake" in the English language. Local usage doesn't count in most people's books. Well, unless you are in Scotland, wherein there is but a single lake. :cool: It's nice there -- you should go visit. :D

You sure got them all going though! :D

BTW if the wren is the most common bird in the UK, how come I hardly ever see any?

Rheghead
27-Jan-05, 02:25
I marked every answer correct to Q1 if it started with Horatio :lol: For brevity's sake I just put Horatio as the answer.

I think there would be a few eyebrows raised if I went about saying 'I had a great holiday last year sailing down Lake Ness' wouldn't there?

Wren is the most common bird (excluding Jade Goody, or even that bird from Wifeswap that seems to have carved a niche in TV for herself), I think it is a deceiving fact because of their way of living. We all see the starlings on the telephone lines for example, but wrens are actually a very shy bird and go largely unnoticed.

jjc
27-Jan-05, 02:39
Then you were “only wanting” the wrong answer… :eyes

DeMoleyns gave up, and his light did not have a filament which is an essential part of a bulb.
DeMoleyns’ bulb consisted of a filament of platinum and carbon in a vacuum… that he ‘gave up’ has no bearing whatsoever on his having held the patent for the first light bulb.

8/10

(a charitable 7½/10 if we consider the fact that the Ordnance Survey (http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/freefun/geofacts/largestlakes.html) – you know, the people who measure the sizes of things like lakes – say that Windermere is ‘generally accepted’ as the largest lake and Ullswater is ‘generally accepted [as a lake] for the purposes of determining area’)

Rheghead
27-Jan-05, 10:35
Sour grapes are not good for the stomach....

Bassenthwaite lake is a lake, Loch Loch is a loch and Windermere is a mere mere! Ouch.

DrSzin
27-Jan-05, 10:42
Ok, here's my quiz. It's designed especially for Rheghead, and should be answered according to his rules. :D

There is but a single question:

1. Which is the largest lake in Scotland?

Hint: a naive Google search probably won't help much.

Rheghead
27-Jan-05, 10:54
Lake of Menteith?

Geo
27-Jan-05, 12:20

Sorry, Rheggers, but your first answer is plain wrong. The colon after Horatio does not denote the end of the sentence.

It seems pretty clear to me that as a lot of people think the quote is "Alas poor Yorick, I knew him well" that for the purpose of the quiz all that is needed is the correct word at the end of that quote. As mentioned Rheghead accepted all answers that had the complete quote as well.

DrSzin
27-Jan-05, 14:10
I know that Geo. But we saddos get minor kicks from nit-picking the varying levels of pedantry involved in Rheghead's answers. Hence my mini-diatribe about Scottish lakes and (indirectly) Rheghead's 100% score in my quiz. :D

Zimbabwe was indeed called Rhodesia before it was called Zimbabwe, and it was called Southern Rhodesia before that. But it was also called Zimbabwe Rhodesia in-between being called Rhodesia and Zimbabwe. By now, we should all be exercising our eyes. :roll:

BTW it seems that your treasured Hooke's law was indeed discovered by Robert Hooke, but did you know that Coulomb's Law was discovered by Henry Cavendish? (http://www.geocities.com/neveyaakov/electro_science/cavendish.html)

Here is an extract:
The electrical researches of Cavendish were equally remarkable and, had they been published, would alone have brought him fame. Cavendish discovered for himself that the force between a pair of electrical charges is inverse to the square of the distance between them, a basic law of electrostatics subsequently established by a French physicist, C.A. Coulomb, and known by his name.

The article also claims that Cavendish discovered Ohm's Law:
Finally, in a series of experiments on various conductors, he discovered that the potential across them was directly proportional to the current through them, thus anticipating the law enunciated by Georg Simon Ohm, a German physicist, in 1827. The last finding was the more remarkable since Cavendish had no means of measuring current and managed only by turning his own body into a meter, estimating the strength of the current by grasping the ends of the electrodes with his hands and noting whether he could feel the shock in his fingers, up to his wrists, or all the way up to the elbows. Cavendish also compared the electrical conductivities of equivalent solutions of electrolytes. The experiments on electricity were not published by Cavendish.

This sounds like an ideal experiment for the Standard Grade Physics lab. Are any THS or WHS physics teachers reading this? ;)

Cavendish is a good example of the old adage "Publish or Perish".

squidge
27-Jan-05, 14:15
pedantry pedantry all is pedantry - thanks for an entertaining quiz - i enjoyed it and learnt one or two things too. I wish i was like the two all knowing all seeing voices of perfection we have wittering on above then i could NEVER be wrong

:D

Rheghead
27-Jan-05, 14:39
I have had a good idea, why don't we compile a quiz together, we all have specialised subjects eg

Rheghead:Chemistry

DrSzin:Physics

jjc:Socio-enviromental and International politics.

captain_chaos: Supermarket economics

Liz: Animal welfare and Ornithology

Tides: Unusual cuisines from around the world

Colin_Manson: IT and computer skills

To name but a few, that would be a good quiz compiling team :lol:

squidge
27-Jan-05, 15:13
what about me???????????????????????

©Amethyst
27-Jan-05, 15:23
No you cannot leave the squidge out!!!

Or me! lol

Rheghead
27-Jan-05, 15:24
what about me???????????????????????

squidge : Music and Sport

Just because you know most of those terrible songs and the Offside rule in football :D

Rheghead
27-Jan-05, 15:30
Amethyst: Literature and Music

For liking Robert Burns and knowing obscure guitarists :D

jjc
27-Jan-05, 16:10
I know that Geo. But we saddos get minor kicks from nit-picking the varying levels of pedantry involved in Rheghead's answers.
I honestly don’t know what you mean… ;)

scorrie
27-Jan-05, 17:40
[quote="Rheghead"]I marked every answer correct to Q1 if it started with Horatio :lol: For brevity's sake I just put Horatio as the answer.

I think this demonstrates a problem many quiz compilers face i.e. making sure the question is posed precisely and without ambiguity.

For the record, the first episode of Star Trek to air had William Shatner as Captain James R Kirk, for some reason this later changed to James T (Tiberius) Kirk

Also, Zimbabwe was made up of Matabeleland and Mashonaland before Cecil Rhodes came stomping along and modestly named it after himself.

Here's a question for you all:-

How many colours of Smarties have there been? name all the colours!!

2little2late
27-Jan-05, 19:42

Eight.

Red, yellow, orange, green, mauve, pink, brown and blue.

©Amethyst
28-Jan-05, 08:10
there've been white smarties... a few years ago... maybe more... they did a trial with white smarties, I think the chocolate in them was orange flavoured or something like that!

scorrie
30-Jan-05, 01:23

Eight.

Blue replaced light brown in 1989, orange is the most popular colour and brown the least popular.

Rheghead
30-Jan-05, 16:48
Since the last quiz was far too easy, try this one...

1) Who was the first person to circumnavigate the world?
2) Who was the last England football manager to be dismissed or to resign?
3) What was the name of the ship that Sir Francis Drake embarked upon when he set off around the world in 1577?
4) What is Harry S. Truman’s (the former US President) middle name?
5) What was the first all-talking feature film?
6) Which country’s navy developed the first working RADAR apparatus?
7) What is the name of the capital of Thailand?
8) Which is the only African nation never to have been ruled by a foreign power?
9) From which language is the Argentine name for the Falkland Islands, Islas Malvinas originally derived?
10) What item did the first mass production process manufacture?

~~Tides~~
30-Jan-05, 17:42

1) Who was the first person to sail around the world?
8) Which is the only African nation never to have been ruled by a foreign power?

1) The Vikings
2) Bangkok
3) Lethoto?
4) Ford Model Ts

Rheghead
30-Jan-05, 17:44
1) The Vikings
2) Bangkok
3) Lethoto?
4) Ford Model Ts

0/10

~~Tides~~
30-Jan-05, 17:45
Woo Hoo!,

An improvement! [lol]

I change my answer of no.4 to a rifle.

Tristan
30-Jan-05, 23:04

Eight.

There have also been black smarties...they were discontinued when blue smarties came in...for some reason you can only have eight colours in a box.

Tristan
31-Jan-05, 00:03

1) Who was the first person to circumnavigate the world?
2) Who was the last England football manager to be dismissed or to resign?
3) What was the name of the ship that Sir Francis Drake embarked upon when he set off around the world in 1577?
4) What is Harry S. Truman’s (the former US President) middle name?
5) What was the first all-talking feature film?
6) Which country’s navy developed the first working RADAR apparatus?
9) From which language is the Argentine name for the Falkland Islands, Islas Malvinas originally derived?

Okay, here goes:

1) Henry Magellan

2) Kevin Keegan?

3) His flagship was the Pelican, to be renamed the Golden Hinde enroute.

4) Harry S. Truman did not have a middle name, only the initial

5) The first all talking film was “Lights of new York” in 1928. The Jazz Singer had the voices, but it was not “all-talking”

6) Although the earliest practical radar was developed by a Brit (well, Scotsman!) named Robert Watson-Watt in 1934-35, the German navy had commissioned a version called FMG41G which operated in 1935.

7) The full name of the capital of Thailand is: Krung-Thep-Mahanakorn-Amon-Rattanakosin-Mahintara-Ayuthaya-Mahadilok-Propnopparat-Ratchathani-
Burirom-Udomratchaniwet-Mahasathan-Amonphiman-Avatarnsatith-Sakkatith-Tiyavisanookam-Prasit, otherwise known as Bangkok

8) Ethiopia has never been ruled by a foreign power, except during a short period during World War II.

9) Islas Malvinas originally derived from Spanish.

10) Depends what you mean by mass production…could be the printing press (in which case the answer is the Gutenberg Bible) or if you mean the assembly line, it would be the automobile, with a technique pioneered by Henry Ford.

Rheghead
31-Jan-05, 02:02
Tristan

Not bad, you scored 6/10

DrSzin
31-Jan-05, 16:38
French.

La première occupation véritable des îles remonte bien à l'entreprise de Bougainville, qui venant de St. Malo, désigna l'archipel par le nom de "Malouines".

I think I knew this (God knows how!), but the quote came from here. (http://www.canalexpat.com/cgarticle.asp?ida=70) An account in English is here (http://www.mysterra.org/webmag/falkland-islands/history.html).

scorrie
01-Feb-05, 13:55

Eight.

There have also been black smarties...they were discontinued when blue smarties came in...for some reason you can only have eight colours in a box.

In 1937 Rowntree introduced Chocolate Beans, they were renamed Smarties the following year. Prior to 1958 dark brown Smarties contained coffee chocolate and light brown contained plain chocolate. Blue replaced the light brown colour in 1989. Orange is the most popular colour and brown the least popular. No record of black ever being a smartie colour and the reason for not more than eight colours per tube is that there have never been more than eight colours current at any one time.

Tristan
09-Feb-05, 15:25

Eight.

In 1937 Rowntree introduced Chocolate Beans, they were renamed Smarties the following year. Prior to 1958 dark brown Smarties contained coffee chocolate and light brown contained plain chocolate. Blue replaced the light brown colour in 1989. Orange is the most popular colour and brown the least popular. No record of black ever being a smartie colour and the reason for not more than eight colours per tube is that there have never been more than eight colours current at any one time.

Mea culpa - we called the dark brown ones black when I was wee.

Does anyone recall the smarties jingle (maybe it was just on the other side of the Atlantic):

"When you eat your smarties, do you eat the red ones last?
Do you suck them really slowly, or crunch them really fast?
Eat that candy coated chocolate, and tell me when I ask,
When you eat your smarties do you eat the red ones last"