PDA

View Full Version : Russian Spy

willowbankbear
04-Dec-06, 19:22
What do you think happened to the bloke that was on t.v claiming he had been poison ed last week? He claimed the Kremlin had poisoned him but what do you guys & girls think actually happened to the rather unfortunate chap?

pultneytooner
04-Dec-06, 19:36
I think that he was poisoned because he was threatening to reveal secrets that would compromise the russian government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epQStWWy2aA
Watch this willowbankbear, socrates, the man they said dalglish was better than at his peak.

tillygirl
04-Dec-06, 19:36
Considering what he knew it wouldn't surprise me if the outcome is covered up by both sides. The FSB don't like their people leaving because they know too much but not too sure if Putin could be accused as he handed over power to the FSB in July. Still, I suppose the buck stops with him. All I know is that it's straining relations between Britain and Russia even more.

oldmarine
05-Dec-06, 05:53
Considering what he knew it wouldn't surprise me if the outcome is covered up by both sides. The FSB don't like their people leaving because they know too much but not too sure if Putin could be accused as he handed over power to the FSB in July. Still, I suppose the buck stops with him. All I know is that it's straining relations between Britain and Russia even more.

It does appear to be a big problem between Britain and Russia.

flash
05-Dec-06, 09:16
I find it strange that the russians would go to the expense and effort of using a radioactve source to poison an enemy of the state on foriegn soil. Not exactly an easy crime to cover up. I would have thought there would have been easier, less flamboyant ways to assasinate someone.

JAWS
06-Dec-06, 02:10
Well, they can't use Ricin again because the source is well known.

http://www.portfolio.mvm.ed.ac.uk/studentwebs/session2/group12/georgie.htm

Putin doesn't need to hand anything over to the FSB formerly the KGB, he was/is KGB himself.

The reason to use a substance such as Polonium 210 is for the same reason they previously used Ricin, there is no known antidote, the quantities needed are extremely small, the symptoms give no immediate indications to the cause, death is lingering, painful and inevitable.

From the point of view of the people arranging or carrying out such assassinations the benefits are that by the time anybody has realised what has happened the person responsible is long gone and there is little to connect them either to the victim or the scene.

The reason for using such exotic methods is quite simple. It doesn't matter how much suspicion there is or even how obvious it is who arranged it, all they have to do is issue a denial and say, "Prove it!"