PDA

View Full Version : can you help

starfish
17-Aug-12, 23:54
what shop or business was at 40 high street wick in the 60s

pat
18-Aug-12, 09:32
What shop is there now - no idea of numbers but memory is not too bad for that era!

badger
18-Aug-12, 10:08
What shop is there now - no idea of numbers but memory is not too bad for that era!

Had my fun for the day with Google - this is 40 High Street now http://notionshair-wick.co.uk/contact and this is how it looks

Tinkerbell09
19-Aug-12, 01:13
As long as it would take, you could go through the old Wick photo's that are at the top of the Photography section on the forum. Might get a photo in there to help!

sids
19-Aug-12, 07:38
Had my fun for the day with Google - this is 40 High Street now http://notionshair-wick.co.uk/contact and this is how it looks

That was only built in the late sixties.

south view 7
19-Aug-12, 20:16
I think it could have been Georgeon the optician...........

torrie
19-Aug-12, 21:02
Can remember Bertie Cardosi having a cafe round about there before he went to his new one but no sure where

starfish
19-Aug-12, 21:10
[QUOTE=torrie;971163]Can remember Bertie Cardosi having a cafe round about there before he went to his new one but no sure where after a conversation at work to day i think that where the chinese is now it next door that i want but thank you anyway

parkie
19-Aug-12, 21:11
and willie gunn barber,s

parkie
19-Aug-12, 21:16
gunn the barbers,wallpaper shop

parkie
19-Aug-12, 21:20
wallpaper shop was where the sport shop is now

pat
20-Aug-12, 09:11
Part of High St was rebuilt in late 60s early 70s - the barbers, optician, cafe etc was demolished and rebuilt.
From the Pavilion was it not the wallpaper shop, Bowmakers (on recent visit from window appears to be fancy dress), a bit further down was the house of the optician and his business premises, then Gunn the barber, Cardosi cafe, after the lane was Bowles, then a clothes shop (sorry forgotten name), butcher shop, Dunnets shoe shop then in the back to Adam shoe repair and a hairdresser, back on High St was Taits grocers.
Opposite the Pavilion was CH Webster the office repairs and supplies, John Graham Solicitor, Eagle Star, Sandy (Mathieson?) think electrician, labour party offices, then across the road to Houstons, Bill Henderson grocer, Co-op furniture.
Now hopefully filled in a few, can someone help fill in all of them please - you have me wondering for ages what was where.

torrie
20-Aug-12, 22:27
Dan Campbell the jewellers was where travel agents is or was it where post office is...on right hand side of lane was Macallans clothes shop i think... on left hand side was David Robertson drapers

pat
21-Aug-12, 07:35
Knew there was other buildings but could not remember. Jewellers was there but was that after the rebuild went on to become the post office? Blacks/Robertsons on the corner of the lane, other side of lane was Bowles then the other clothes shop which then went on to be owned by MacAllans but think it was something like Beggs?? the shop where the pavement was very very narrow, too narrow to walk so you had to step onto road.

parkie
21-Aug-12, 20:38
macallan.s was at the narrow pavement then dan thomson the butcher,s then dunnet,s shoe shop

Betty
21-Aug-12, 23:16
Knew there was other buildings but could not remember. Jewellers was there but was that after the rebuild went on to become the post office? Blacks/Robertsons on the corner of the lane, other side of lane was Bowles then the other clothes shop which then went on to be owned by MacAllans but think it was something like Beggs?? the shop where the pavement was very very narrow, too narrow to walk so you had to step onto road.

Pat, the shop with the very narrow pavement outside was Charlie Begg's. David Robertson's was the other shop, on the other side of the lane, as I recall. Sorry I can't help with your other question as to the jewellery shop.

pat
22-Aug-12, 12:59
Thank you Betty - thought it Beggs but memory slips a bit, it did then get changed to Macallans. Robertsons was the mainly ladies shop on the Pavilion side of the lane. Blacks was ladies shop near DR Simpsons ironmongers, Turners was between Banks the Chemist and Boots on Bridge St.

Dan Campbell Jeweller moved from Union Street, did not go to High Street until after renovations, then it became the Post Office after Campbell jewellers closed.

south view 7
22-Aug-12, 20:07
Dont forget Dan Bains the tobaconist,before Berties going towards the pavilion.