PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trees

Fran
04-Dec-06, 03:09
Christmas trees, all shapes and sizes, all one price will be on sale in Safeway car park this Saturday and Sunday from 9am till late, in wick, so get your christmas tree there at the weekend. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_16_18.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_69.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

Wreaths also available.

DarkAngel
04-Dec-06, 12:03
There was xmas trees for sale at coop on saturday just past, Is it the same people selling them?

mums angels
04-Dec-06, 12:39
Sorry , but i won't be bying my christmas tree at somerfeilds this year , the one i got there last year was put up fortnight before christmas and was dead before christmas day..it looked so bad it came down on boxing day:( ...has put me off real trees but hubby insists we are still getting a real one so will be trying to find one that will last better this year

So much for if its cut after the first frost it will last better !!!

henry20
04-Dec-06, 13:02
In order to keep the needles on a tree, you should not buy ones on a wooden stand. You can buy a metal stand for them that has a container for the base of tree and can be filled with water. This keeps the tree moist and stops the needles falling. Sorry, can't remember where I bought my base from but it was about £10-13. Looks lovely too.

changilass
04-Dec-06, 13:06
I know the Castletown garden centre had the stands you are talking about last year cos that's where I got mine from:D

obiron
04-Dec-06, 13:06
while a real xmas tree is lovely i just use the artificial one. dont really have the room in the living room for a real one but my fake one looks fine when its decorated.

angela5
04-Dec-06, 13:07
In order to keep the needles on a tree, you should not buy ones on a wooden stand. You can buy a metal stand for them that has a container for the base of tree and can be filled with water. This keeps the tree moist and stops the needles falling. Sorry, can't remember where I bought my base from but it was about £10-13. Looks lovely too.

I have one of those stands never made much difference to my tree's, for 3 years i kept trying the real tree's but they were all brown and needleless before christmas day. I think if your room is too warm this doesn't help them either, but no way was i going to be cold for the sake of a tree.:D

If you want my stand mums angels you are more than welcome to it.

henry20
04-Dec-06, 13:32
I know the Castletown garden centre had the stands you are talking about last year cos that's where I got mine from:D

Ah, thats right, mine was from the garden centre at glengolly! Bought one for my friend too.

Angela5 - maybe thats where I've gone wrong, I'm too mean to put the heating on, so my tree lasts fine! :lol:

krieve
04-Dec-06, 13:48
I still can't get in the christmas mood yet :(

footie chick
04-Dec-06, 14:12

Nor can I don't think its cold enough yet. When its frosty it feel more christmas like.

Piglet
04-Dec-06, 17:16

I know what you saying - me neither.

Kids keep asking to put up decs but im delaying it so far. :lol:

Billy Boy
04-Dec-06, 18:19
[quote=Fran;167392]Christmas trees, all shapes and sizes, all one price will be on sale in Safeway car park this Saturday and Sunday from 9am till late, in wick, so get your christmas tree there at the weekend.

Wreaths also available.

trying to promote one of your sidelines lol?

angela5
04-Dec-06, 18:24
[quote=Fran;167392]

As if she would.:lol:

henry20
04-Dec-06, 18:26
More to the point, what price will they be?? :)

brandy
04-Dec-06, 18:48
thats what i am wondering.. *grins* whats the price?

bobsgirl
04-Dec-06, 19:03
I havent had a real tree for about 5 years, what is this base you are talking about? I thought these were about £25. Would a bucket of compost and water not do??
I really want a real tree this year but unsure of best place to get one.
It will be going into the conservatory which doesnt exactly store the heat so is a wee bit chilly in there anyway, does this help the tree to survive better?
Any info back would be grateful so I can get my real tree!!

Thanks!

willowbankbear
04-Dec-06, 19:04
Sorry , but i won't be bying my christmas tree at somerfeilds this year , the one i got there last year was put up fortnight before christmas and was dead before christmas day..it looked so bad it came down on boxing day:( ...has put me off real trees but hubby insists we are still getting a real one so will be trying to find one that will last better this year

So much for if its cut after the first frost it will last better !!!

The solution would be , balaclavas ,a saw, a van & a good excuse if you get caught by the farmer. Ive got a fibre optic tree but for those that prefer organic trees..........

Fran
05-Dec-06, 02:01
[quote=Fran;167392]Christmas trees, all shapes and sizes, all one price will be on sale in Safeway car park this Saturday and Sunday from 9am till late, in wick, so get your christmas tree there at the weekend.

Wreaths also available.

Nothing to do with me........I was just asked to put it on caithness org.
Sidelines???? I'm too busy to have sidelines.

Hibeechick
05-Dec-06, 10:59
Before buying a real christmas tree, ask if they are treated. They needles don't fall off if they have and will last longer. Well thats the plan anyway! :)

Billy Boy
05-Dec-06, 15:30
[quote=Mr & Mrs Billy Boy;167522]
Nothing to do with me........I was just asked to put it on caithness org.
Sidelines???? I'm too busy to have sidelines.

not to busy to do a bit of advertising on the org i see:roll:

angela5
05-Dec-06, 15:33
More to the point, what price will they be?? :)

Still waiting.:roll:
Fran what price are these trees?

Billy Boy
05-Dec-06, 15:45
Still waiting.:roll:
Fran what price are these trees?

lol she may not have the time to tell you that bit[lol]

Fran
05-Dec-06, 16:11
Never too busy to help a friend or an orger. Angela5 ....sorry not sure of the price. i think there is an advert in the Groat . It is Raymond Harper and his son who are selling and delivering them

Billy Boy
05-Dec-06, 16:27
so i take it mr harper and son will be makeing a profit from the sale of these tree's? and if that's the case,this thread should be in the for sale section and not in the general section?

saffy100
05-Dec-06, 16:29
Hi

Just wanted to tell you all that i have just been to Pultneytown Garden Centre and have bought the lovliest tree i've seen in a very long time...perfect proportion....lovely pine that sheds very little..if at all...small to large size....the biggest being about 7foot only £21, the same trees in homebase are £30 for about 5foot. I recommend you go and have a look if you want the perfect tree. They were so lovely that we got the biggest size even though it means moving furniture around..lol

cheers

bobsgirl
05-Dec-06, 16:51
I went down to look at trees outside Woodbees in Thurso today, not to say I wasnt really impressed. They looked a bit wilted. Some looked really good though!
It was £21 fir a 5foot and £23 for a 6foot.
Is this a reasonable price or not? I have not a clue!! Will probably pop through to Wick at the weekend and see the ones through there, someone did tell me that the hombase ones are a bit OTT in price!!

henry20
05-Dec-06, 16:52
They are extortionate prices. Only trees I have heard of for sale range from £10-12!!!

changilass
05-Dec-06, 16:55
We got ours from the Castletown garden centre last year, lovely looking tree, very little needle drop and smelled lovely when I burnt it on the fire in the new year:D

bobsgirl
05-Dec-06, 17:01
We got ours from the Castletown garden centre last year, lovely looking tree, very little needle drop and smelled lovely when I burnt it on the fire in the new year:D

You could pick up one for us in your lovely big car!!!
I dont want to get mine dirty....lol!!!
We will give it to you afterwards for firewood!! ;)

WeeBurd
05-Dec-06, 17:06
I think we paid around £25 for an 8ft tree last year, and it was delivered to our door so no hassles trying to arrange a pick-up. That was from the folks that sell outside Somerfields. Haven't got my tree yet as MrBurd is working days at the mo, but he's off this weekend - I've already re-arranged the furniture in anticipation [lol] !

bobsgirl
05-Dec-06, 17:12
I think we paid around £25 for an 8ft tree last year, and it was delivered to our door so no hassles trying to arrange a pick-up. That was from the folks that sell outside Somerfields. Haven't got my tree yet as MrBurd is working days at the mo, but he's off this weekend - I've already re-arranged the furniture in anticipation [lol] !

You have to give the men some hints!!
Will that be enough though....LOL!!

The_man_from_del_monte
05-Dec-06, 17:16
Got one of those outdoor jobs from Lidl, not bad for £9.99 and looks great at night out in the garden.... shame I never look out into the garden at night, oh well the sheep will appreciate it :Razz

DrSzin
05-Dec-06, 18:11
As far as I can tell, no-one is advertising their own business here. The two Christmas-tree threads have been merged, and they have a happy new home here in Recommendations. :)

If you're worried about needle retention, I would suggest either a Nordman Fir (http://www.ridgelinetrees.com/NordmanFir.htm) or a Noble Fir (http://www.ridgelinetrees.com/NobleFir.htm). In my experience, both retain their needles far better than the traditional Christmas tree - which I think is the Norway Spruce, but I'm really not sure...

connieb19
05-Dec-06, 18:26
What happened to the days when folk went out to the forest and borrowed their own tree? [para]

angela5
05-Dec-06, 19:30
Hi

Pultneytown Garden Centre Christmas trees
the biggest being about 7foot only £21,

Allan's of Gillock is much cheaper than that.:D

mums angels
05-Dec-06, 21:47
We paid £20 for ours from somerfeilds last year and it lasted under a fortnight....Not good...did get a 6ft one from outside fishing shop by the old music shop(Thurso) for £10 once and it lasted really well....do they still sell them there????

saffy100
06-Dec-06, 10:32
I was merely mentioning that they are very pretty trees and a lot cheeper than homebase...or a lot of other places for that particular type of tree....there are of course lots of places that are cheeper for different types.

This is the nicest , healthiest, christmas tree shaped..tree i have ever had, just wanted to share that.

angela5
06-Dec-06, 17:42
I see Argos has a 6ft ready to use Tree Including 60 lights and 75 decorations for only £29.99.

elastic band
06-Dec-06, 18:11
hi there,
we have bought 2 real christmas trees for house from the garage at watten for past several years and they have lasted brilliantly.

we buy them either from garage direct or from them when they are down at the market square -they deliver too.

would recommend -sorry i don't know the name of the people but its the garage in watten

hope this helps

bobsgirl
09-Dec-06, 15:58
Finally made up my mind of where to get the tree from.
Noticed in the John O Groat Journal that the Caithness Rugby club was selling trees, any size for £15. So we are getting a 7 foot tree. Ordered it last night and should arrive tomorrow.

Just happy to help a local club that are using it to raise funds!!!

mums angels
09-Dec-06, 19:18
Finally made up my mind of where to get the tree from.
Noticed in the John O Groat Journal that the Caithness Rugby club was selling trees, any size for £15. So we are getting a 7 foot tree. Ordered it last night and should arrive tomorrow.

Just happy to help a local club that are using it to raise funds!!!

you'll have to let us know how it looks when you get it...and let us know how well it lasts...(in your cold conservatory). :( my house is just too hot i think for a real tree...

£15 is a very reasnobale price though....

bobsgirl
10-Dec-06, 19:55
Tree looks wonderful, very big and bushy!
Well worth the price!!
Rugby Club trees are recommended!!!

mums angels
10-Dec-06, 20:50
Do you have a number for them bobsgirl...???

will come round tomorrow sometime and have a nosy in your window to see if I like it ...LOL

Billy Boy
10-Dec-06, 21:04
we got the best tree of all "free" little miss bb won it in a colouring in competition at school, she had to colour in a christmas pudding [lol]