PDA

View Full Version : Bain/Miller Relatives???

Aileen
03-Dec-06, 18:59
Hello!

I'm a fairly new convert to researching my family tree, so any information would be useful. I have to confess to becoming addicted!!!

My relatives ( maternal line) are from Wick - Pulteney Town and Sarclet. My Grandad was William Miller - father David Miller b1872 and mother Johan Bain b 11.2.1876. They were married 18.12.1902 in Sarclet.

I am particularly interested in any information on my grandad - Wiliam Miller b 1909 d 9.5.1953. My mum tells me he died in an accidental drowning on the Boating Lake in Wick, whilst sailing model boats but she doesn't have any further details as she was very young at the time. He was a member of the 1st Wick Company of the Boys Brigade and served in the WW II in Italy (I have some photos of him in Venice) Does anyone have any further details?

Be fantastic if anyone could fill in the blanks for me - am looking forward to hearing from any potential relations

Aileen

airdlass
03-Dec-06, 19:34
Hi Aileen
I connect with you through the Bain's from Sarclet but I'm afraid I can't help you with the Miller side, however I'm sure there are plenty people who will have lots of info for you!
Johan Bain's father William was a brother of George Bain who was my gg grandfather.
Hope you have some luck with your Miller side.

Aileen
04-Dec-06, 17:09
Hi airdlass,

Thank you for that - and nice to meet you!

Aileen

peter macdonald
04-Dec-06, 18:04
I am particularly interested in any information on my grandad - Wiliam Miller b 1909 d 9.5.1953. My mum tells me he died in an accidental drowning on the Boating Lake in Wick, whilst sailing model boats but she doesn't have any further details as she was very young at the time. He was a member of the 1st Wick Company of the Boys Brigade and served in the WW II in Italy (I have some photos of him in Venice) Does anyone have any further details?
I would think that the John O Groat journal would have ran a story on that accident and their arcive is held in Wick Library If you cant get there yourself try phoning or emailing the arcivist They are very helpfull

Aileen
04-Dec-06, 18:25
Thank you - I will try that!

DAC214
11-Dec-06, 00:39
Welcome to this mad passion!
I have Millers and Bain but nothing recent enough to see if there is any tie-in.
My Millers were in Pultenytown as early as 1851 and as late as 1867 for sure.
The great problem with Millers in Wick is that there were SO MANY! Sorting them out takes the patience of several saints.
If you do not mind spending a few dollars, the scotlandspeople web site is excellent. Birth certs give maiden names of mothers and usually place and date of parent's marriage. Death certs usually have names of both parents (assuming the informant knew them).
If you get back another generation or two, maybe we will find we are related!
Good luck,
Dixie

mary
11-Dec-06, 11:09
Hi,
I also have Millers from Wick. I have a David Miller b. abt 1874 his parents were William Miller and Janet Sinclair, unfortunately I do not have any more info. on David. When the 1881 census was taken the family were living at 14 Breadalbane Terrace, Wick.
I have my Millers back to Alexander Miller and his wife Elizabeth Harper. I believe Alexander's parents were William Miller & Christian Harold.

Can anyone connect?

Mary

Aileen
11-Dec-06, 18:25
Hi,
I also have Millers from Wick. I have a David Miller b. abt 1874 his parents were William Miller and Janet Sinclair, unfortunately I do not have any more info. on David. When the 1881 census was taken the family were living at 14 Breadalbane Terrace, Wick.
I have my Millers back to Alexander Miller and his wife Elizabeth Harper. I believe Alexander's parents were William Miller & Christian Harold.

Can anyone connect?

Mary

Hi Mary,

re your Millers - it would appear mine were living a 7 Breadalbane Crescent! I think they must be connected somehow - just don't know how yet! My David Milller doesn't match yours I'm afraid .... :confused Its all very confusing!!!

Aileen

Aileen
11-Dec-06, 18:33
Friday 13th March 1953 John O’Groat Journal

Deaths
MILLER. – At Sarclet Loch, Caithness (as result of an accident), on 7th march, 1953, William Miller, joiner, aged 44 years, beloved husband of Margaret Cumming, 19 Vansittart Street, Wick.

Thanks for the tip on this one - I just received a really helpful reply from one of the archivists at Wick Library, containing this notice from the John O'Groat Journal as well as the article about the accident.

Aileen

mary
11-Dec-06, 22:15
Hi Aileen,
Yes it is very confusing searching for Millers in Caithness soooooo many.
I will keep yours in mind when I start again on my Miller line and if I find anything that might connect to yours I will get in touch.

Mary

exile
17-Dec-06, 21:49
Hi,

Can anyone connect?

Mary
hello
i am also descended from Alexander Miller & Elizabeth harper.Do you wish to compare notes?
exile

mary
18-Dec-06, 09:15
Hello Exile,
I would be very happy indeed to compare notes. Alexander & Elizabeth's son James b 1801 was my 2xggrandfather.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mary.

eric41
14-Jan-07, 05:13
Good evening Mary
Do you haqve any information on Elizabeth Harper
Regards

Eric

mary
14-Jan-07, 23:12
Hello Eric,

The parents of Elizabeth Harper were James Harper and Catherine Farquhar. Elizabeth Harper was b 1771 and d. 1846 she is buried in Old Wick Cemetery.

The following is the extract from the OPR'S

Marriage - pre 1855 - Wick OPR
Miller, Dec 20 1794. Alexander in Sibster was matrimonially contracted to Elizabeth Harper at Reiss.
Cautioners for the man Robert Miller, Sibster, for the woman Alexander Harper, Reis´

I have 5 Siblings for Elizabeth:
Isabel, Alexander, Janet, David & Margaret.

Mary.

eric41
15-Jan-07, 05:46
Good evening Mary
Thank you for the information. Another piece of the puzzle completed

Regards

Eric:Razz