PDA

View Full Version : SNP failing the NHS

golach
10-Aug-12, 09:50
Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon has revealed that 882 patients had to wait more than 12 hours to be seen in A&E, up from 400 in 2008-09.
The number of those waiting up to eight hours in A&E wards last year has also risen to 5097 patients, this figure stood at 2190 in 2008.
At the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, 50 patients were not seen within 12 hours last year, a rise of 32 on the 2008 figure of 18. The number of those facing an eight-hour wait has likewise increased to 689,up from 317 in 2008.

These figures have come about by the SNP cuts to the number of hospital nursing staff across Scotland and is to blame, leaving hundreds of patients to face an unacceptable wait before being treated.

Not a good record so far Eck?

Corrie 3
10-Aug-12, 10:08
Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon has revealed that 882 patients had to wait more than 12 hours to be seen in A&E, up from 400 in 2008-09.
The number of those waiting up to eight hours in A&E wards last year has also risen to 5097 patients, this figure stood at 2190 in 2008.
At the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, 50 patients were not seen within 12 hours last year, a rise of 32 on the 2008 figure of 18. The number of those facing an eight-hour wait has likewise increased to 689,up from 317 in 2008.

These figures have come about by the SNP cuts to the number of hospital nursing staff across Scotland and is to blame, leaving hundreds of patients to face an unacceptable wait before being treated.

I cant find any links to back this up but I did find this which I thought might be a big problem...........

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/health/stop-using-my-hospital-like-a-mcdonalds-1085863

So with people getting out of their skulls on booze and youngsters treating the place like a MacDonalds doctors surgery it's no wonder waiting times are going up.. (if in fact they are)!

Thank goodness that our hospitals are still sorting out the priority cases to be seen first and anyone abusing the system gets put to the back of the queue. If I were in charge of an A&E and someone came in with a runny nose and a cough I would make them wait at least 12 hours if not longer!

Got any real hard facts on this Golach?

C3..............:roll:

maverick
10-Aug-12, 12:03
If I were in charge of an A&E and someone came in with a runny nose and a cough I would make them wait at least 12 hours if not longer! Quote by Corrie 3. My father in law attended A&E he had a cough and a runny nose and chest pains, the chest pains he believed were as a result of a possible chest infection because of the cold that he had. A self diagnosis that he made. The dangers of self diagnosis are they can have fatal results, point being that my father in law did not want to go to A&E because he did not want to waste the hospitals time over a cold. He was made to go, it turns out that he was having a massive heart attack. We can be blessed that Corrie 3 was not in charge of A&E because had he / she been in charge by their own statement a man would have died................ Fact.

cptdodger
10-Aug-12, 12:38
My father in law, had been out with his partner for a meal and a few drinks, when they got home, he started to feel unwell, his partner made him go to A&E to get checked out, as he was complaining of tightness in his chest, like your father in law, Maverick, my father in law was reluctant to go as this was a Saturday night. The A&E staff who were extremely busy with drunks, and so on (typical Saturday night), saw him, decided it was a just a bad case of indigestion, told him if it did'nt go away to call his GP out, then sent him home. My father in law died four hours later of a coronary thrombosis - he was 36 years old. So, as you can see, it is not the waiting time that's the problem, it's getting the right medical treatment when you do get to see someone.

Corrie 3
10-Aug-12, 15:01
If I were in charge of an A&E and someone came in with a runny nose and a cough I would make them wait at least 12 hours if not longer! Quote by Corrie 3. My father in law attended A&E he had a cough and a runny nose and chest pains, the chest pains he believed were as a result of a possible chest infection because of the cold that he had. A self diagnosis that he made. The dangers of self diagnosis are they can have fatal results, point being that my father in law did not want to go to A&E because he did not want to waste the hospitals time over a cold. He was made to go, it turns out that he was having a massive heart attack. We can be blessed that Corrie 3 was not in charge of A&E because had he / she been in charge by their own statement a man would have died................ Fact.
Where in my post did I mention anyone with chest pain having to wait over 12 hours?
You dont have to be in the medical profession to know that anyone with chest pains goes to the front of the queue.
Let me make it clear to you once again because you obvioulsly like to put your own words into my quotes......................Runny nose and cough, make them wait 12 hours or longer. Please dont try and make me feel guilty because your F-i-Law nearly died, you wont succeeed!!

C3.............:eek::eek:

squidge
10-Aug-12, 15:39
I know how horrible it is to wait at A&E and for those people waiting more than 12 hours it must be horrendous so we must be doing everything we can to bring these figures down.

The thing about figures like this is that they are not always what they seem - for example the figure stands at 5097 patients waiting more than 12 hours but this article doesnt tell you how many patients the hospitals actually see. Nor does it tell you whether the number of patients visiting A&E departments has increased - for example if the figures visiting have trebled and yet the numbers waiting so long have only doubled then that would be better news. The article that Corrie3 quotes, says more than 1.5 million people visit A&E departments each year. If that is right it means that at least 99.7% of people visiting A&E departments in Scotland are seen within 12 hours - i think.... The official figures are showing that 95.3% of people are being seen in less that four hours. That falls short of the government target of 97% but is not out of reach.

This also seems to be a problem at specific hospitals and not an endemic service wide problem. This would suggest that there are particular problems that affect some but not all hospitals.
This article is about what a particular area is doing to address the issue. http://local.stv.tv/hamilton/news/109621-ae-waiting-times-falling-short-for-patients-in-lanarkshire/

The Scottish government says that NHS spending is protected from cutbacks and that they have increased spending on infrastructure by more than 2bn.

cptdodger
10-Aug-12, 15:46
Where in my post did I mention anyone with chest pain having to wait over 12 hours?
You dont have to be in the medical profession to know that anyone with chest pains goes to the front of the queue.
Let me make it clear to you once again because you obvioulsly like to put your own words into my quotes......................Runny nose and cough, make them wait 12 hours or longer. Please dont try and make me feel guilty because your F-i-Law nearly died, you wont succeeed!!
C3.............:eek::eek:

Not everyone goes to the front of the queue who has chest pains, if that was the case, my father in law would possibly still be here today (not my opinion, the opinion of the court that fined that hospital for negligence). I think the point Maverick is trying to get across, is, there are a lot of people that turn up at A&E with what you would class as insignificant reasons, when in fact, they could have underlying problems. You would class me as one, I ended up in A&E in Dundee with a nose bleed, which, with the underlying problems I have, could have killed me, I would have bled to death. However, on face value, and as you said, if you were in charge of A&E, you would have made me wait 12 hrs or longer, after all, it was only a nose bleed.

Corrie 3
10-Aug-12, 16:35
I ended up in A&E in Dundee with a nose bleed, which, with the underlying problems I have, could have killed me, I would have bled to death. However, on face value, and as you said, if you were in charge of A&E, you would have made me wait 12 hrs or longer, after all, it was only a nose bleed.
You are at it now!!!
Where did I say people with nose bleeds would have to wait 12 hours?
Runny nose and cough is what I said, runny nose and cough, runny nose and cough......not nose bleeds, not chest pains....Runny nose and cough!!!
Some people!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!

C3..................:eek::eek:

Oddquine
10-Aug-12, 23:33

Remind me of the record of the English NHS. golach, pretty please.

Remind me who set-up PFI for the NHS in the UK in 1992..yet another Union dividend for us, pretty please.

Seven NHS hospital trusts are to be given a government bail-out of £1.5bn to meet payments due under Private Finance Initiative contracts. Our money being sent to swell company profits in England.......money that could have been available for patient care........ and demonstrates that the political objective of PFI was not economically sensible.

But when you have UK politicians who can't find their own buttocks with both of their own hands......why would you reasonably expect an idea produced from the airy fairyness of political dogma (as defined as....."our voters will like that, and continue to vote for us... lets do it!") to be seriously costed and possible problems identified?

It was, imo, sickening, to put it mildly, to see on YouTube and read in the media the Olympics "celebration of the NHS", which, like the Union, is no longer fit for the purpose. That illustration might have been applicable to the 1960's, as the Union may have been.... but most definitely doesn't apply in the 21st Century.

FYI, what the NHS in Scotland pays for acute PFI facilities is around 11-18.5% of hospital turnover, compared to 5-8% in non-PFI facilities . The study (by the Scottish Finance committee with BMA Scotland support and input) found that the extra cost must be met by diverting revenue from clinical services, staff and supplies, suggesting that PFI schemes are associated with service cuts before contracts are signed. The two NHS Boards in Scotland with 'major' PFI schemes in operation, Lothian and Lanarkshire, must allocate almost twice as much of their annual revenue to rental payments than Boards that do not.

Now would the less biased not assume that the only way that NHS Boards, in Scotland, or anywhere else in the UK, in fact, can meet fixed and immutable costs practically imposed on them by a UK Government pre 1999 or by their Scottish Government Unionist lickspittles between 1999 and 2007, would be to reduce beds, staffing ( including A&E) ,cleaning etc? Or to get a bail-out from the UK or Scottish Governments?

Now, in Scotland, given the NHS is a devolved responsibility paid for from our pocket money, they have £30 billion or so a year pocket money to meet their obligations re all devolved responsibilities......want a list of them? I can do that so you can choose what you'd prefer not to fund....I'd guess, off the top of my head, free prescriptions for anybody bar children and pensioners, and charging tuition fees to students, even though my (your?) age group could have benefited if they wanted from the free education.....as have many politicians, refusing the same right to students now, did.

England, however, has access to the accumulated income from the whole UK, less the pocket money they allow the devolved countries, which is, frankly, sweeties...to meet their obligations/shortfalls/miscalculations, and also have the ability to use accounts specifically set up to circumvent the application of the Barnett Formula...such as the one which paid for London's sewage system........ to avoid a proportionate input under the Barnett Formula to all devolved countries as would otherwise be required.

We have a Scottish Government under Alex Salmond who is doing the best they can do with what they have and are allowed to do with it. There is no way they are going to please everybody......but since the announcement of the referendum, everything the Scottish Government does appears to be down to Alex Salmond, and not in any way connected to the constrictions imposed on Scotland by the UK Government (if you want to listen to Unionists).

Scotland, in the Unionist view, appears to exist in a fantasy scenario which has the UK paying them £30 billion, which the Unionists believe we absolutely don't cover from Scottish input to the UK economy and is more than ample to do what they think we should be doing so as not to make the English punter, who is paying for everything in the UK, jealous. And that in a Union which subsidises one single region of the nine in England much more that than any other country in the Union........or any other region of England, come to that.

If you weren't looking though Unionist coloured spectacles, you would not be blaming Alex Salmond for everything.....you would at least be acknowledging the effect of the input of UK Governments to limit what a Scottish government can do.

I am not inclined to attempt to disbuse your completely irrational opinion that Alex Salmond dictates anything or everything, because if a Unionist can find any excuse for anything not being down to the Union, it is human nature that they will.

But it would be really good, if you are going to blame Alex Salmond/the SNP eternally for the situation in Scotland, you would also be honest enough to give comparisons with the situations in England, Wales and Northern Ireland as well.

Big Gaz
10-Aug-12, 23:54
sigh..... yet ANOTHER bash the SNP thread. we all know you don't like them Golach so why not give it a rest, you are boring us all with your constant posting of anti-SNP threads, thread hijacking and all the other anti-SNP crap you can fit in anyone else's posts.

golach
11-Aug-12, 11:04
sigh..... yet ANOTHER bash the SNP thread. we all know you don't like them Golach so why not give it a rest, you are boring us all with your constant posting of anti-SNP threads, thread hijacking and all the other anti-SNP crap you can fit in anyone else's posts.
Fair enough, I will stop posting anti snp posts when the pro independence posters stop posting theirs. Seems fair to me.

Oddquine
11-Aug-12, 15:07
Fair enough, I will stop posting anti snp posts when the pro independence posters stop posting theirs. Seems fair to me.

Maybe you can try not starting threads which purport to be about something else, and mention the SNP and/or Alex Salmond in your OP, for no other reason than you can.............then there wouldn't be so many pro-independence posts in response.....would there?

ShelleyCowie
11-Aug-12, 18:41
SNP forever! Anyway, yes 12 hours to wait is horrible for those people, but in MY (capitalised to state this is mine!) opinion, we should consider ourselves lucky we have the NHS. Dont know how many times i personally have relied on the NHS for myself or my family. Yes there are priority moments that are sometimes missed, and mis-diagnosed cases. Human error is massive, but not a single person in this world is perfect. I'd like to say more, but i know it would offend and we all know im not one for that ;)

I'd like to hear Golachs opinion on how it can be bettered.

Baconbuttie
13-Aug-12, 23:17
There might be a bit more money for the NHS if we hadnt all been given freen prescriptions

maverick
15-Aug-12, 00:24
There might be a bit more money for the NHS if we hadnt all been given freen prescriptions Now I,m all for free prescriptions, but the jury is still out on the tuition fee's issue. Education is Important, but it,s wasted on fools. I would rather see the money spend on giving the newly born a fighting chance so they have the oportunity to get to the age of education....