PDA

View Full Version : Scotland,s medals.

piratelassie
10-Aug-12, 01:14
Am I right in thinking that if Scotland was competing in the Olympics as a country in our own right, we would be 10th in the medal table? Not bad for 50 odd competitors. I dont know where Wales England or N. Ireland would be.

ducati
10-Aug-12, 05:51
Am I right in thinking that if Scotland was competing in the Olympics as a country in our own right, we would be 10th in the medal table? Not bad for 50 odd competitors. I dont know where Wales England or N. Ireland would be.

That's great, I was asking on another thread :D

RecQuery
10-Aug-12, 08:07
This might be off since the last time I checked, but the last time I did check Scottish Olympians have won 11 of Britain's 48 Olympic medals, 7 of which are gold. For some reason the media seems fascinated by the contribution of people from Yorkshire.

equusdriving
10-Aug-12, 10:55
Am I right in thinking that if Scotland was competing in the Olympics as a country in our own right, we would be 10th in the medal table?

possibly but probably not, as it would be dependent on a Scotland team being able/willing to fund and provide training facilities and support teams etc on a par to team GB's,to enable the competitors to compete at the same level they are currently doing ,

tonkatojo
10-Aug-12, 11:11
possibly but probably not, as it would be dependent on a Scotland team being able/willing to fund and provide training facilities and support teams ect on a par to team GB's,to enable the competitors to compete at the same level they are currently doing ,

But they would just nip South and use the facilities there surely.

rob1
10-Aug-12, 11:22
Whilst there are 7 gold medals going to 6 athletes from Scotland. Only two of them (Andy Murray - Singles tennis and Sir Chris Hoy Kerin) were done on an individual basis. The other 5 golds were done as part of a team with althletes from the rest of the UK so it would be wrong to assume that gold would have been won if the non scottish team member was replaced with a Scot. Who knows they might well have done. I have had a quick look at the medals table an I can only find one other medal won outright by a Scot and that was a silver in the swimming. So two gold and a silver would put Scotland joint 30th along with Switzerland.

RecQuery
10-Aug-12, 13:01
Whilst there are 7 gold medals going to 6 athletes from Scotland. Only two of them (Andy Murray - Singles tennis and Sir Chris Hoy Kerin) were done on an individual basis. The other 5 golds were done as part of a team with althletes from the rest of the UK so it would be wrong to assume that gold would have been won if the non scottish team member was replaced with a Scot. Who knows they might well have done. I have had a quick look at the medals table an I can only find one other medal won outright by a Scot and that was a silver in the swimming. So two gold and a silver would put Scotland joint 30th along with Switzerland.

Let's take something that isn't true and say that is it, then speculate wildly. Do you work for the BBC or a tabloid paper by any chance?

changilass
10-Aug-12, 13:57
For some reason the media seems fascinated by the contribution of people from Yorkshire.

Could this be that they are worried about an uprising of the YRA

Who is to say team GB would have won these medals without the Scots being onboard? Therefore team GB would be lower down the rankings too.

changilass
10-Aug-12, 14:04
Mo Farrah is based in California and trains a lot in Africa, so Scotland wouldn't need its own training facilities, they could just ship em off for training.

Gronnuck
10-Aug-12, 14:26
I wonder where all this funding comes from to enable these athletes to spend all their time training?

rob1
10-Aug-12, 14:51
Let's take something that isn't true and say that is it, then speculate wildly. Do you work for the BBC or a tabloid paper by any chance?

Eh? Sorry, you've lost me.......

squidge
10-Aug-12, 16:12
I wonder where all this funding comes from to enable these athletes to spend all their time training?

Much of it comes from private sponsorship and lottery money i was reading the other day.

Rheghead
10-Aug-12, 16:26
Much of it comes from private sponsorship and lottery money i was reading the other day.

And I wonder what will happen to that National Lottery funding after independence?

equusdriving
10-Aug-12, 18:11

mmm now that's a good point

golach
10-Aug-12, 19:13
Some of those gongs were individual achievements (like Murray’s demolition of Federer), others were team efforts involving non-Scots (a minority of the women’s hocky team who won bronze today were Scots). Do you include the team medals in the “Scottish” total?
The Scottish total is three medals, two golds courtesy of Murray and Hoy and a silver from swimmer Michael Jamieson, which puts the Scotland in joint 30th place globally at time of writing, and in around 25th place if we adjust for population.