PDA

View Full Version : Softplay area bans men from taking their kids.

Rheghead
08-Aug-12, 16:51
Is it fair that men should be banned from taking their kid to a softplay area?

I find it appalling that in this day and age that discrimination is still rife.

Kids go wild is what you’ve all been waiting for, the UK’s first ladies and childrens only soft play centre!
A safe, stimulating and fun environment for children and a relaxing place for you!

The message reads that a softplay area is not safe, stimulating and fun if Dads are in attendance.

http://kidsgowild.co.uk/

John Little
08-Aug-12, 17:01
Quite!...

What age group do Kids Go Wild cater for ?

We cater for boys up to and including 9 years however there’s no age restriction for girls.

Bobinovich
08-Aug-12, 17:16
I REALLY hope they get the book thrown at them for discrimination :(

EDIT: Apparently the Equality & Human Rights Commission (http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2012/08/07/outrage-as-birmingham-play-centre-bans-dads-97319-31566468/) is on the case...

Corrie 3
08-Aug-12, 17:56
I think this link gives the reason why in more detail...........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185041/Fathers-banned-play-centres-women-decree.html

C3.................;)

Phill
08-Aug-12, 19:27
No problem, I assume it will be fine to re-introduce men only Tap rooms now then!

mi16
09-Aug-12, 10:17
No problem, I assume it will be fine to re-introduce men only Tap rooms now then!

I dont really have a problem with it. I would simply take my custom elsewhere.

Oddquine
09-Aug-12, 12:27
Just the PC crowd inventing problems where problems didn't exist until they invented them. Reminiscent of the furore regularly seen when a PC bleeding-heart brain-dead numpty decides that Christian festivals offend non-Christians and get into officious mode.

When are we going to stop catering for the sensibilities of a minority of minorities, and actually tell them that if they don't like what the majority of their minority are happy with, then they'll just have to lump it.

The business could always have set aside a specific time/day to limit usage and participation as swimming pools do with women only swimming sessions.......but that would be too obvious..and not get them publicity.

RecQuery
09-Aug-12, 12:34
It's clear discrimination but it's acceptable because it's against men. There's an attitude that men in any area alone with children or that choose to work with children are somehow weird and up to something. I've seen various stories (http://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights) of fathers with kids in a play area being questioned by police because some uptight woman called the police because they thought the child was being abducted. All this despite the facts and figures pointing in the other direction I might add.

As a man I'll tell you that I avoid being alone with any children, I don't make eye contact, I don't smile etc. Personally I dislike children as a general rule, but I still find the attitude annoying.

Koi
09-Aug-12, 17:02
RecQuery i too hate this attitude and stereotype. My partner is fine with our son and does alot for and with him. However when i had my nephew for most of the day last month my partner didn't feel he could change his nappy but wouldn't bat an eyelid at changing our sons. I did tell him not to be so daft and just change him and he did and he was the same as he was with our son.

Women also abuse children. It's not just men and i do find that i hate the attitude that a man is up to something if they are looking after kids but yet no one bats an eyelid about a woman doing so.

tennents
09-Aug-12, 17:13
I was only Flicking through this but i feel that this is not right at all, We all know there are some stay at home dad's out there!

Oddquine
09-Aug-12, 20:06
It's clear discrimination but it's acceptable because it's against men. There's an attitude that men in any area alone with children or that choose to work with children are somehow weird and up to something. I've seen various stories (http://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights) of fathers with kids in a play area being questioned by police because some uptight woman called the police because they thought the child was being abducted. All this despite the facts and figures pointing in the other direction I might add.

As a man I'll tell you that I avoid being alone with any children, I don't make eye contact, I don't smile etc. Personally I dislike children as a general rule, but I still find the attitude annoying.

Thing is the article has nothing to do with the safety of the children.......those of you who think it does are reading something into it that isn't there. Or are all of you who are conflating it into the idea that it is to prevent men being involved in a group situation with children saying that all boys over the age of nine are a danger to children because they will eventually become men?

It has more to do with some PC numpty's perceived sensibilities of some Muslim women, (or a fundamentalist Muslim promoting their POV) and going by the reported remarks by the more mainstream Muslims in the community, it is only a problem formed in what passes for the PC idiot's brain. Why else allow girls of any age and not allow boys of 10 and over, when the facilities are advertised as having a wide range of equipment suitable from birth to 9 years.......but not for girls older than that?

The owners claim the ban is for cultural reasons and in the interests of the predominantly Asian local community....which makes me think the owners are white born Brits who don't understand the difference in the first place between generic Asian and the Muslim religion, can't differentiate between the cultural expectations at purely Muslim religious events and social functions and the way most Muslims perceive child oriented activities such as soft play centres, adventure parks, leisure facilities etc as something outside those restrictions. Or maybe just people who think they have found a currently untapped and potentially profitable market...in which case, don't they wonder why it is untapped?

It is beyond ridiculous anyway that 10 year old boys are considered "adult" enough to make females feel uncomfortable having them around. Sheesh!

Dadie
10-Aug-12, 23:10
Would it not be better to have a mirror image or a double of the playarea so males can be on one side and females on the other if need be.
Small kids the run of the place....
mums one side of the glass, dads the other, boys above the desired age only on one side same with the girls,,,wee ones allowed to go wherever ...
Everyone happy..but the adults able to see all of the play area....im sure that can be done these days?
Its amazing what 10 yr old boys will discuss with pals these days....
Plus in a predominately Muslim community it will stop the gosh horror omg my child of ten has flashed an ankle or elbow at the opposite sex thing!

unicorn
10-Aug-12, 23:28
Glass in a soft play area???? not a good idea.
I am a member of a few childminding forums where there are male childminders, may seem strange to some but these men love their job and why should men not be able to care for children, as for dad and their own children or uncles and family members etc it saddens me that we live in a society where dads worry about bathing their children, grandads worry about hugs in public and men and women will leave a scared toddler roaming looking for mummy or daddy in a shop or as I once witnessed on the road outside the co-op as they were too scared to intervene, I immediately stepped in and got the child off the road. Maybe it is just because my job is caring for children that on more than a few occasions I have taken a wee ones hand and we have gone to a shop assistant etc and looked for their parent

Dadie
10-Aug-12, 23:34
Glass /mirrorred glass/plexiglass....was meant!
its the culture its in.....men and women set apart....

Oddquine
10-Aug-12, 23:59
Glass /mirrorred glass/plexiglass....was meant!
its the culture its in.....men and women set apart....

But it isn't the culture, if you are going to go by the majority mainstream Muslims...it is the culture as perceived by the minds of people with either a specific axe to grind, as in fundamental Muslims.....or no bliddy idea of what Muslim culture is, as in white native Brit PC nuts (possibly even feminists).

Rheghead
11-Aug-12, 20:13
Would it not be better to have a mirror image or a double of the playarea so males can be on one side and females on the other if need be.

like an apartheid system then?

John Little
11-Aug-12, 21:05
like an apartheid system then?

Not really - as many older Thursonians could witness. Before the Miller Academy I attended West Public infants school and the playground was divided into two with a green metal fence down the middle and boys' and girls' entrances.

Lessons were mixed, but not playtime.

We used to throw water bombs over the fence...

Koi
12-Aug-12, 10:37
Glass in a soft play area???? not a good idea.
I am a member of a few childminding forums where there are male childminders, may seem strange to some but these men love their job and why should men not be able to care for children, as for dad and their own children or uncles and family members etc it saddens me that we live in a society where dads worry about bathing their children, grandads worry about hugs in public and men and women will leave a scared toddler roaming looking for mummy or daddy in a shop or as I once witnessed on the road outside the co-op as they were too scared to intervene, I immediately stepped in and got the child off the road. Maybe it is just because my job is caring for children that on more than a few occasions I have taken a wee ones hand and we have gone to a shop assistant etc and looked for their parent

I've done the same thing so many times before and after having my son. It saddens me that pc has got to these stage that men feel they can't do certain things with their own children or grandchildren.
My son when he was about a year and a half unlocked the front door and got out. I was across in the car fitting new car seat covers and didn't see him go up the road. I thought because he was in his bed sleeping with what i thought was his stairgate secure he'd be ok for a couple of mins. He got up the road and was turning into an alley way that we go down when we got to see one of my friends before i caught him.
First thing i noticed was the front door open and a neighbour was standing outside his front door having a fag. He obviously saw i was looking frantic and asked if i'd lost my baby. He told me he'd gone up the road. I thanked him and ran up the road and got him. It was only when i was back in the house with him that i wondered why my neighbour hadn't stopped my son. All done to the way men feel about it now.
Needless to say that same day i went out and bought a chain lock for the door!

Buttercup
12-Aug-12, 11:28
I've done the same thing so many times before and after having my son. It saddens me that pc has got to these stage that men feel they can't do certain things with their own children or grandchildren. My son when he was about a year and a half unlocked the front door and got out. I was across in the car fitting new car seat covers and didn't see him go up the road. I thought because he was in his bed sleeping with what i thought was his stairgate secure he'd be ok for a couple of mins. He got up the road and was turning into an alley way that we go down when we got to see one of my friends before i caught him. First thing i noticed was the front door open and a neighbour was standing outside his front door having a fag. He obviously saw i was looking frantic and asked if i'd lost my baby. He told me he'd gone up the road. I thanked him and ran up the road and got him. It was only when i was back in the house with him that i wondered why my neighbour hadn't stopped my son. All done to the way men feel about it now. Needless to say that same day i went out and bought a chain lock for the door!How would a chain lock help if you are outside and your son is inside? How would you get it on? Or is it for the outside of his bedroom door ie to lock him in?

Koi
12-Aug-12, 13:23
How would a chain lock help if you are outside and your son is inside? How would you get it on? Or is it for the outside of his bedroom door ie to lock him in?

The chain lock is to keep him in the house and its on the front door. I have a stairgate he can't open on the kitchen door and a good gate securing the garden so he can't get out unsupervised. Tbh since then i've not been out of the house without him even when cleaning the car etc. The lock on the front and back doors are twist locks, easy to unlock in an emergency but not handy for a clever little monkey. Chain lock keeps him in and away from the road.

Since the day he got out I've relied on my supervision not a gate or a lock. The chain lock helps while we are in the house as he moves fast. I don't feel the need to take him everywhere in the house with me so the chain lock does help keep him in the house for situations like when i go to the toilet. He's 2 and doesn't quite understand why he mustn't go out without me yet.