PDA

View Full Version : Grammar and punctuation

namche
08-Aug-12, 13:05
Good Afternoon

Has anyone else noticed a particular job vacancy that has extremely poor grammar and punctuation? If you are trying to recruit suitable candidates for a position would you not expect the employer to have sound knowledge of the English language?
Please discuss.

Beat Bug
08-Aug-12, 13:34
I'm constantly having a similar discussion with my journalist cousin.

Gizmo
08-Aug-12, 13:38
Good Afternoon

Has anyone else noticed a particular job vacancy that has extremely poor grammar and punctuation? If you are trying to recruit suitable candidates for a position would you not expect the employer to have sound knowledge of the English language?
Please discuss.

How would you know that English is the advertisers first language?

Connor.
08-Aug-12, 13:45
In my own opinion, I feel that would put me off applying for the vacancy. To some people however, a job is a job and it's a source of income in difficult times and to dwell on such minor details would be pointless.

You don't have to be an expert in the English language to work for someone or even have your own business as it may not effect what you do. I hate to admit it but the majority of the younger generation will grow up with poor grammar due to text speak and shorthand on the internet.

RecQuery
08-Aug-12, 15:33
In my own opinion, I feel that would put me off applying for the vacancy. To some people however, a job is a job and it's a source of income in difficult times and to dwell on such minor details would be pointless.

Certain obvious mistakes would make me cringe, I can let some things go however. I'm by no means a shapie-carrying-grammar-nazi.

You don't have to be an expert in the English language to work for someone or even have your own business as it may not effect what you do. I hate to admit it but the majority of the younger generation will grow up with poor grammar due to text speak and shorthand on the internet.

I'm 28 and have had the Internet since I was 12. Long before it was called TXT-speak it was called IRC-speak or leet-speak I was aware of it then and didn't use it. The most I'll do is use an initialism, abbreviation, acronym or contraction, unless I'm purposely being idiomatic.

George Brims
08-Aug-12, 20:12
I'm by no means a sharpie-carrying-grammar-nazi.
No, that would be me. I am the grammarian about whom your mother warned you. Actually I'm not that bad, as I am too lazy. But the number of grammar and punctuation mistakes I see cause me stress.

sids
08-Aug-12, 20:30
If you are trying to recruit suitable candidates for a position would you not expect the employer to have sound knowledge of the English language?

You should have used the subjunctive: "Were you trying to recruit," etc.

little miss breezy breeks
08-Aug-12, 20:55
Why do some people feel they have the right to make judgement on other's, The person who placed the advertisement could very well suffer from dyslexia, I know a lot of people who have dyslexia and it's hard enough for them without other's giving their opinions without actually knowing the facts, so before you go acting all judgemental stop and think first.[disgust]

luskentyre
08-Aug-12, 23:18
Why do some people feel they have the right to make judgement on other's, The person who placed the advertisement could very well suffer from dyslexia, I know a lot of people who have dyslexia and it's hard enough for them without other's giving their opinions without actually knowing the facts, so before you go acting all judgemental stop and think first.[disgust]

Genuine dyslexia is indeed a very real problem for some people. Hoever, if you knew you suffered from it and were preparing something for publication, would you not get it checked over first?

Oddquine
08-Aug-12, 23:47
Genuine dyslexia is indeed a very real problem for some people. Hoever, if you knew you suffered from it and were preparing something for publication, would you not get it checked over first?

Maybe they don't really want to recruit spelling/grammar Nazis and consider an advert which will stop them applying would be useful to ensure less arrogant po-faced employees and get normal people who are prepared to make allowances for the failings of others.

I post this as a spelling/grammar nut, who cringes at much of what passes as good English in books, newspapers and the internet.....but also someone with a dyslexic grand daughter.

luskentyre
27-Aug-12, 22:25
Maybe they don't really want to recruit spelling/grammar Nazis and consider an advert which will stop them applying would be useful to ensure less arrogant po-faced employees and get normal people who are prepared to make allowances for the failings of others.

I post this as a spelling/grammar nut, who cringes at much of what passes as good English in books, newspapers and the internet.....but also someone with a dyslexic grand daughter.

So, by your reckoning, someone who is willing to help out and proofread something is a "spelling/grammar Nazi"? In addition, any prospective employee who values the correct use of English is in danger of being "po-faced" and "arrogant"?! Were I preparing something for publication, I'd get it checked - and I'm not even dyslexic.

Of course there's nothing wrong with recognising and accepting the failings of others, but I'm not sure publicising those failings so blatantly is either wise or sympathetic. To be honest, your attitude smacks of "I've got a problem - deal with it!"

P.S. What's the difference between a "spelling/grammar Nazi" and a "spelling/grammar nut"?

Dadie
27-Aug-12, 22:37
A spelling nut would grind their teeth and suck it in...and tut tut and give red kisses (or is that crosses?) and a nazi would have everything underlined at least twice and explanations in why it is wrong in the margins!

luskentyre
27-Aug-12, 23:26
A spelling nut would grind their teeth and suck it in...and tut tut and give red kisses (or is that crosses?) and a nazi would have everything underlined at least twice and explanations in why it is wrong in the margins!

LOL Perhaps the best option would be to have a spelling bee - that sounds altogether more warm and fuzzy :-)