PDA

View Full Version : Is There Anything Socially Wrong With mixed race Realationsips?

pultneytooner
02-Dec-06, 23:43
I have some fairly decent associates. But one thing that irates me about some of them is their sly comments about mixed relationships, more to the point, black and white mixed relations. I feel that what attracts two (or) more individuals, is both private and personal. Now you may have another view. However this none-the-least is a BIG social issue, globally. Many people turn their heads when they see black and white couples in public; and pretend (publically) to be neither positive (pro), negative, neutral, or even for that matter, swayed either way. I feel this social change with mixed relations (more specifically, black and white relations) is a silent ticking time bomb, waiting to explode on the world in a grand way. Especially a way that will be far damaging to our so called civilized, society then we can ever imagine. How can an educated public pretend racism is no longer an issue because public figures like (MAD)do-na, Brad Pitt, and others are crossing race barriers and adopting children of different races.
Is the mixing of races actualy the coming together of humanity?
What is your view? No racist content, but civil, well constructed views or opinions, ONLY!:D

Alice in Blunderland
02-Dec-06, 23:51
I dont have a problem with mixed race relationships :) Good topic for debate though.

angela5
02-Dec-06, 23:53
I don't have time for anyone who has a problem with mixed race relationships.

pultneytooner
02-Dec-06, 23:55
I dont have a problem with mixed race relationships :) Good topic for debate though.
Thank you alice, only hope is it doesn't de-generate.
Please people, stay objective and don't let any negative feelings overide your answers.

unicorn
03-Dec-06, 00:09
I have absolutely no problem at all with mixed race relationships, true love is hard enough to find without people butting over over a stupid thing like skin colour. I have heard comments in the past that left me disgusted with the individuals that have passed them and it has totally changed my view of the people who have made them. As long as 2 people are happy together and make each other happy it has nothing to do with others. There are enough hurdles to overcome in any relationship without others making it harder.

sweetpea
03-Dec-06, 00:10
I wouldn't treat a mixed race couple any differently from same race so I can't really comment on social aspects, but I know that between couples themselves the cultural divide can get to them in the end, as often happens their way of life and beliefs and values may contrast:(

pultneytooner
03-Dec-06, 00:12
I have absolutely no problem at all with mixed race relationships, true love is hard enough to find without people butting over over a stupid thing like skin colour. I have heard comments in the past that left me disgusted with the individuals that have passed them and it has totally changed my view of the people who have made them. As long as 2 people are happy together and make each other happy it has nothing to do with others. There are enough hurdles to overcome in any relationship without others making it harder.
Yep unicorn, the reason for my thread was some particularly mean comments from people I have known all my life and thought they were above that sort of thing.

bobsgirl
03-Dec-06, 00:14
Why should people be still bothered by mixed race relationships.
For goodness sake at the end of the day we are only but human. I do not have a problem with mixed race relationships. You cannot help who you fall in love with can you!!
At the end of the day, if your happy, forget everyone else!
Same as people who frown upon big age gaps.......NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!!
Stay Happy!!

Alice in Blunderland
Long gone are the days when someone were to be looked down upon because of their colour and mixed race relationships are more socially acceptable althought there are still those who hold to the belief that this is a recipe for disaster. I feel that a mixed race relationship does have slightly more problems than any other due to external factors and not always about how people feel towards each other.

A couple of things which come to mind are:

Children from mixed race families where do they fit in in society ie one parent from Britain one from another country?

Cultural differences, acknowledging the different ways in which people are brought up in different countries.Our pop stars and celebrities have taken the children from the place of their birth should they still try to teach the children a little of their culture or are they no longer a part of that society.

Religous barriers.Now this is a hot potato for some people let alone couples or families trying to live together which religion if any should be followed.

Society do they truly accept people for what they are?Or are they just paying lip service?

pultneytooner
I wouldn't treat a mixed race couple any differently from same race so I can't really comment on social aspects, but I know that between couples themselves the cultural divide can get to them in the end, as often happens their way of life and beliefs and values may contrast:(
Personaly I think the children of mixed race couples suffer more from verbal and unfortunately physical abuse than the parents.

unicorn
03-Dec-06, 00:15
It is amazing how you think you know someone and then they come out with some awful comment that literally sticks in your mind forever. It truly does change the way you think of that person.

pultneytooner
03-Dec-06, 00:17
It is amazing how you think you know someone and then they come out with some awful comment that literally sticks in your mind forever. It truly does change the way you think of that person.
Thanks unicorn for your honesty, these friends have been cut free, (with sadness), but I couldn't be around them any longer.

sweetpea
03-Dec-06, 00:25
Personaly I think the children of mixed race couples suffer more from verbal and unfortunately physical abuse than the parents.
Your probably right but abuse can occur anywhere. I've got a couple of really good friends down south who have mixed race kids but unfortunately the relationships with their Dad's are over, not really because of outside influences but more from the differences in how things were than anything else.
You get predujice with everything in this life and maybe more so in rural places but you just have to rise above it. Incidentally, these kids all can't wait to leave school and go away to Uni and see what's out there.

acameron
03-Dec-06, 00:26
I feel this social change with mixed relations (more specifically, black and white relations) is a silent ticking time bomb, waiting to explode on the world in a grand way.

Pultneytooner mate,

This is a very dramatic statement, what makes you think this?

melted_wellie
03-Dec-06, 00:50
The churches in caithness must be full to brim every Sunday with all the lovely caring and understanding folks that must surely live there. Forgive me for asking, but is there many mixed race couples living up yonder? It just seems strange to me that a thread would be started about this if it was something you lived with day in day out. Where i am there is a multi cultural society,no one bats an eyelid at couples walking down the road despite which colour they are let alone start a debate about it.
I just cant understand what prompted this thread if its something that you truly felt was acceptable.
I hope you understand what im trying to say here, im not sure ive worded it properly.

scorrie
03-Dec-06, 01:06
Pultneytooner mate,

I would agree that there is little evidence of this being a dangerous scenario at all. If I recall correctly there was a comedy series called "Mixed Blessings" in the late 70's about a white guy in a relationship with a black woman, times have moved on since then, and I think even a "backwater" such as Caithness has become pretty much immune to seeing "black and white" go hand in hand these days.

That is not to say that snide comments are not still made. There will always be a section of society with nothing better to do that tittle-tattle about whatever they can. If it is not different coloured skin, it might be "incomers", someone going with someone else's man, or "she/he's old enough to be his mither/her faither" etc that is fuelling the debate for the self-righteous gossipmongers.

I agree that it is worse for the kids because children do not have the savvy to do the whispering behind the backs in the way that the parents do.

sweetpea
03-Dec-06, 01:11
If I recall correctly there was a comedy series called "Mixed Blessings" in the late 70's about a white guy in a relationship with a black woman,
Do you remember'Mind your language'

oldmarine
03-Dec-06, 01:26
I must acknowledge that during my youth I had doubtful feelings about mixed race marriages. However, during my time in the military during WWII and since that time I have overcome that stigma and have found couples of mixed race complement one another very well. Sometimes the children suffer because other children have not been properly trained and can be quite cruel with their comments and actions.

melted_wellie
03-Dec-06, 01:27
I must acknowledge that during my youth I had doubtful feelings about mixed race marriages. However, during my time in the military during WWII and since that time I have overcome that stigma and have found couples of mixed race complement one another very well. Sometimes the children suffer because other children have not been properly trained and can be quite cruel with their comments and actions.
What do you mean "Trained"????? Do you mean "brought up"??

oldmarine
03-Dec-06, 01:32
What do you mean "Trained"????? Do you mean "brought up"??

That pretty well sums it up.

melted_wellie
03-Dec-06, 01:36
That pretty well sums it up.
I think youve hit the nail on the head there my man.

pultneytooner
03-Dec-06, 03:07
Pultneytooner mate,

In no way do I mean to dramatise, just that I think that it will all come to a head and I think we should be prepared for the worst, racial tentions are high at the moment and the government needs to realise this.

Metalattakk
03-Dec-06, 04:07
I'm shocked that this is even a topic for discussion.

Are we not in the 21st century anymore? When did time regress back to the 1950s, and why did nobody mention it to me??

Shanty Moses!

Or....is this just yet another attempt to create a discussion around a more than likely dead subject?

*takes off cynic's hat*

scrapydoo
03-Dec-06, 11:13
I don't have a problem it i have a problem with those who do.[evil]

funky-dunky
03-Dec-06, 11:15
no i havent got any problem with mixed relationships. who ever has please just ignore them as we all say its your life you can choose what to do with it.

peter macdonald
03-Dec-06, 11:17
Scrapy I could not agree with you more

Boozeburglar
03-Dec-06, 13:13
Well Pultneytooner, you may need to get out and about more.

What you see as a ‘BIG social issue’ is, generally, a small issue in some circumstances, and reflects society moving forwards.

“How can an educated public pretend racism is no longer an issue”

Sorry, this mass denial must have slipped me by.

In the light of continued stirring of hate by vile groups like the BNP, and in a society where one can be slain in the street because one’s skin happens to vary from another’s, I see no evidence that this is the case.

Despite the attempts of Griffin and his cohorts, we appear on the whole to be progressing as a society, in terms of our legislation at least.

I hear from many and good sources that many things have improved since the sixties and seventies. I have seen huge improvements in behaviour and detected massive improvements in attitudes in the last 20 years. The fools who use race as a weapon of hate are very much the tiny minority now, and regardless of 911 and 77, etc., their second wind is nothing but the death throws of a truly ugly corpse in the making.

“Crossing race barriers”

Just where are these barriers situated? I would love to get a look at them.

I fear it would take some psychiatry though.

“Between couples themselves the cultural divide can get to them in the end, as often happens their way of life and beliefs and values may contrast”

Sweatpea, I suppose they can, but cultural differences exist in separation from skin colour, and can as easily enhance a long term relationship as cause terminal problems.

Generalisations and assumptions made based on superficial facets such as skin colour are the building blocks of prejudice.

Boozeburglar
03-Dec-06, 13:25
Alice in Blunderland, you wrote…

“Children from mixed race families where do they fit in in society ie one parent from Britain one from another country?”

You are not suggesting that people with different skin colours are by definition from another country?

Only around 10% of people living in ‘Briton’ were born abroad, and a good number of them share the complexion of the majority.

Most of the ‘mixed race’ relationships I am familiar with involve second or third generation children of immigrants. These people are as Scottish, English, Welsh or Irish as the next person, it only comes down to a matter of generations to find many of us have ancestors from afar.

Go back far enough and if you subscribe to Creationist or Evolutionist theory, you end up at the same conclusion that we all emanate from the same.
”Cultural differences, acknowledging the different ways in which people are brought up in different countries. Our pop stars and celebrities have taken the children from the place of their birth should they still try to teach the children a little of their culture or are they no longer a part of that society.”

That is a question worthy of debate that may enlighten rather than divide. I would hope that Madonna would be planning on taking that young boy back to learn about his family and place of birth at some point.

Again this message board serves up the same recipe of debate about Asda, race and religion.

Get over it people, these choices about change in society have already been made by society.

I would prefer people coming to Caithness.Org to find a reflection of Caithness in these pages, message board included. Anyone would think that Caithness was a hot bed of racial strife, where the debate constantly revolves around these issues.

More likely is that those with repugnant personal views find internet discussion to be their limited, last and only release. Long may that trend continue.

scorrie
03-Dec-06, 14:46
Do you remember'Mind your language'

I "Mind" it well. No stereotype was left unturned. eg Teacher to Italian pupil:-

"Give me a sentence containing the word Deliver"

Pupil replies:-

"Too mucha vino is a no good for De Liver"

As they say in France, Pure Crepe.

Fraser Macleod
03-Dec-06, 15:16
Personally I have no problems with mixed race relationships, currently one of my closest acquaintances is in a mixed race relationship, people are simply people the colour of their skin is irrelevant when compared to the context of an individuals character.

It does however upset me greatly to agree that children of mixed race couples or young adults in mixed race relationships in schools suffer more abuse than most, in the example of my acquaintance many openly raciest and vile comments have been made about him and the charming young woman he is in a relationship with.

I think iterating that mixed race relationships are a 'time bomb' in modern society is rather melodramatic but i agree to an extent that there are problems that arise through other peoples racial insensitivity and callous treatment of those people in mixed race relationships, who are no more than people with a mutual attraction, like every other couple we see holding hands or getting married.

Usually I would have included a rant about racism in the tabloid media but I’ve neither the time nor energy today lol

Ciao Fraser

PS: If anyone is actually interested in this topic of conversation id recommend a book i read about 5 or 6 years back called 'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman (who is primarily a children’s author, but can clearly write adult fiction to as evident in this book) the book is part of a trilogy, all of which I’ve read and all of which are excellent books, the main theme is mixed race relationships and mixed race children in society, id recommend them to anyone

Dreadnought
03-Dec-06, 15:18
Is There Anything Socially Wrong With mixed race Relationships?

No.

danc1ngwitch
03-Dec-06, 16:13
love knows no boundries and some may think we should stick to our own kind white on white etc and also say oh the children of mixed relationships have a harder time well its not these ppl at fault its the ignorance of the narrow minded... if only us adults could love like the children do .. unconditional.x

Ricco
03-Dec-06, 16:58
Interestingly, most people have forgotten how we all came about. The various creeds, cultures and societies around the world have come about exactly because of mixed relationships. Scientists are pretty certain that the human race originated in parts of Africa - doesn't that make us all black descendants?

Hundreds of thousands of years of adaptation and genetic variation have changed our skin colour, our features and our cultures. Exporation has brought about further mixing of our cultures and mixed marriages are nothing new. African kings married Egyptian princesses, conquering warriors have often married and settled somewhere on their escapades.

So, what's all the fuss about? If we don't have cross-mixed marriages the end road is interbreeding and look what happened to the Pharohs and the British aristocracy. ;)

Kenn
03-Dec-06, 17:05
I am surprised that the question should even be asked.When we live in a multi-cultural ,multi-ethnic society and our chidlren are educated together the mixing becomes a matter of course and should be a source of pride not prejudice.
These new citizens will have many histories to draw on and surely that can only be of benefit to society as a whole.

acameron
03-Dec-06, 17:18
I agree Lizz, but I have to share this with you;

I was told this story a few years back by an elderly gentleman who was told it by his teacher when he was a bairn back in the 1930's. The story goes: "Once upon a time everyone in the world was black ,and in Africa there was a huge lake. Everyone went to Africa to visit this lake and walked through it. When they came out the other end there skin was white. Over the years so many people walked through this lake that it dried up to a puddle and the people left could only use it on the bottom of there hands and feet".
Now this story sounds very unPC but back in the 1930's, what kind of impact do you thing that it made on the children? I asked the guy what he thought, and he told me that over his younger years he always thought this to be true and he was really black, and the story always stuck with him.

babyhippo
03-Dec-06, 17:55
Today was miy first visit to the chat room and I was delighted to see this subject debated. I think it is good to talk about these subjects openly. I have been in a 'mixed race' relationship for 17 years, I believe that the challenges in our ralationship are no different than any other 'same race' relationship.. It is about tolerence, love and understanding.

We have lived in Caithness for four years and yes there are the odd few people who have 'something to say'. We have children and, yes some children can be cruel, we have tried to teach our children that 'different' is not wrong, and the world is made up of many people from different places, believing different things, and we are all equal. Self confidence comes from within no matter what colour you are.

the charlatans
03-Dec-06, 18:01
I have some very good friends who are in a mixed race relationship and have a very lovely wee boy. I don't see the colour, just some very good friends. They live down in Glasgow and have had their share of people sharing their opinions with them in a nasty way. But they deal with it by ignoring it and getting on with life and bringing up Louis who has the brightest smile and a right mischievious look. He's lucky as he'll be taught Dutch, Gaelic and Scottish from his dad and carribean cooking from his mum.

I don't think it was wrong to post the question as we're here for debate. So in my opinion no i don't think there's anything socially wrong with mixed race relationships. It should lead to better integration between different groups, in an ideal world which i'm afraid we don't live in.

percy toboggan
03-Dec-06, 18:35
I have strong anti-immigrant views, especially when it comes to non-whites. However, I cannot see it's of anyone elses concern when people of mixed race decide to marry (preferably) or co-habit. Bigots who would give such couples hassle on the streets should be punished violently. We all see beauty through our own eyes and it is really of no one elses business who we breed with. As the generations continue to develop and mingle maybe we'll all end up coffee coloured. So be it. Although I , personally am preferring a white Britain, it is no longer possible, save for little enclaves. As the Rolling Stones once sang 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' .....maybe a mass mingling is what we need.
Not for me, or hopefully mine but I'm tempted not to care about anyone else, frankly.

The country I once recognised, even loved ,has slipped away into history. It can be re-lived in old black and white movies (no pun). (Night Mail is my favourite!)

The ultimate conclusion of a melting pot society is for a dilution of all races over a millenium and more.

Alice in Blunderland
03-Dec-06, 18:35
“Children from mixed race families where do they fit in in society ie one parent from Britain one from another country?”...You are not suggesting that people with different skin colours are by definition from another country?....

Sorry to have not made myself clearer in my original post. I was using this as a "for-instance" I am in no way implying that most people with different coloured skin are from other countries. :D

rich
03-Dec-06, 20:12
This outporing of racial tolerance does you all credit. But I remember a lot of virulent nonsense has been posted on the subject of Islamic emigrants and more recently a flood of sado masochistic fantasies on the penal system.
Which is the real face of the caithness org?
Perhaps Golach and/or his ideological crony Percy Tobbogan might like to comment.

percy toboggan
03-Dec-06, 20:13
Generalisations and assumptions made based on superficial facets such as skin colour are the building blocks of prejudice.

How about assumptions and generalisations based on cultural traits like propensity to crime and allegiance to religious dogma beyond reason?
A trait like feckles and nomadic fathers , mysoginists, anti-diluvian patriarchal tendencies and sex discrimination to the point of terminating a female foetus because it's a female. Or forcing women into marriages they do not want but are too afraid to resist.

Get off your soap box and do not presume to tell people how to think. I for one am educated and informed enough to make up my own mind thanks very much. I'd rather live in a street of recent immigrants than have a single neighbour like you. Boozed up or burgling you're surplus to requirements.

Alice in Blunderland
03-Dec-06, 20:34
Nothing wrong with the product of a mixed race relationship :D

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/alice67/partygirls6.jpg

Ricco
03-Dec-06, 20:35

Exactly! Lovely daughters, Alice.

Alice in Blunderland
03-Dec-06, 20:43

Thankyou I think Ive made my point. Acceptable or not innocent children should be allowed to grow up without prejudice.

Sporran
03-Dec-06, 22:21

Thankyou I think Ive made my point. Acceptable or not innocent children should be allowed to grow up without prejudice.

I agree on all counts. What bonnie wee lassagies you have, Alice! :-)

Some of the most beautiful people in the world are the product of a mixed race relationship. Halle Berry, Vanessa L Williams, Maria Carey, pop singer Engelbert Humperdinck, Keanu Reeves, and wrestler/actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - to name just a few! :-)

North Rhins
03-Dec-06, 22:38
I myself am a result of a mixed marriage and I have never found it to be a problem. My Dad is a Jock and my Mum's a Scouse!

pultneytooner
04-Dec-06, 19:11
I myself am a result of a mixed marriage and I have never found it to be a problem. My Dad is a Jock and my Mum's a Scouse!
I meant multi racial not multi cultural.

pultneytooner
04-Dec-06, 19:16
I'm shocked that this is even a topic for discussion.

Are we not in the 21st century anymore? When did time regress back to the 1950s, and why did nobody mention it to me??

Shanty Moses!

Or....is this just yet another attempt to create a discussion around a more than likely dead subject?

*takes off cynic's hat*
Why so shocked, 1950's, I don't think so, we are in the 21st century and prejudices still hold sway whether you like it or not and burying your head in the sand wont make it any less relevant.
Racial prejudices really tick me off but let's not talk about it, let's pretend it doesn't exist in the 21st century and that makes it alright.
P.S, shanty moses, cracking band.

Alice in Blunderland
04-Dec-06, 21:24
I do see pulteneytooners point here.:D Again its the minority who spoil it for the majority I feel.I have had a couple of louts prosecuted for racially abusive phone calls...not a pleasant experience the final straw came when they threatened to torch the house and slit the girls throat I just hung up and called the police this was two years ago not the 1950s.The police were I must admit lovely and took it all very seriously.

Metalattakk
04-Dec-06, 21:33
Why so shocked, 1950's, I don't think so, we are in the 21st century and prejudices still hold sway whether you like it or not and burying your head in the sand wont make it any less relevant.
Racial prejudices really tick me off but let's not talk about it, let's pretend it doesn't exist in the 21st century and that makes it alright.
P.S, shanty moses, cracking band.

No one's burying their head in the sand, my friend, I just don't see why we even need to bring it up, especially in a place like this.

No wonder those in the South look at us as socially backward. :(

The very fact that someone seems to feel the need to ask the question shows that some people find mixed relationships uncomfortable. Those of us who are perfectly comfortable with the subject certainly don't need to raise it at every opportunity.

pultneytooner
04-Dec-06, 21:44
The very fact that someone seems to feel the need to ask the question shows that some people find mixed relationships uncomfortable. Those of us who are perfectly comfortable with the subject certainly don't need to raise it at every opportunity.
That was exactly my point, some do feel uncomfortable with it and that makes it a valid topic. Why not bring the subject up and talk about the way people feel and how those prejudices could be changed.

Ricco
04-Dec-06, 22:52
I do see pulteneytooners point here.:D Again its the minority who spoil it for the majority I feel.I have had a couple of louts prosecuted for racially abusive phone calls...not a pleasant experience the final straw came when they threatened to torch the house and slit the girls throat I just hung up and called the police this was two years ago not the 1950s.The police were I must admit lovely and took it all very seriously.

I'm really sorry to hear that, A_in_B. What those ignorant louts fail to understand (probably because their eyebrows were too close together) is that they are very mixed race indeed - Angle, Saxon, Viking, Frank, Hun, Welsh, Irish and goodness knows what else over the eons.

No, maybe not - maybe they were pure blood - pure Neanderthal!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
04-Dec-06, 23:11
No one's burying their head in the sand, my friend, I just don't see why we even need to bring it up, especially in a place like this.

No wonder those in the South look at us as socially backward. :(

Those in the South look at us socially backward The Beatles are at number 1
The post is still brought up by horsemail....a quick poop stop on the Berriedale Braes.
Times have changed,mixed relations ain't a problem cos we've all grown up over the years.

George Brims
05-Dec-06, 00:55
I meant multi racial not multi cultural.

Biologically, there is NO SUCH THING as race. If you look at different genetic markers that distinguish people, there are far more that DON'T correlate with skin colour, eye colour, facial features etc, than those that do. Any talk of racial difference, when science tells us that down in our DNA we are not only 98% the same as a chimp but 16% the same as a LETTUCE is just silly.

Rheghead
05-Dec-06, 01:08
Is the mixing of races actualy the coming together of humanity?

Yes I would agree, but it will take possibly a 1000 years for the pure races to disappear. Then we will be a spectrum of shades of brown. The results can start to be beautifully seen in America, very nice too.

But I see one problem, there will be racism about light brown ones v dark brown ones, sad but true:~(

Boozeburglar
05-Dec-06, 19:49
Percy>

"I'd rather live in a street of recent immigrants than have a single neighbour like you. Boozed up or burgling you're surplus to requirements."

Thank God!

If you felt any other way about me, diametrically opposed to xenophobia and intolerance as I am, I would be fearful I had not expressed myself adequately.

Surplus to requirements I may be, in terms of pointing out how foolish your stated views are, but those views are the anachronism in question.

History will tell you, were you to listen, that society is constantly changing. Adapt and survive. The racism and prejudice I am aware of in Caithness tends to be of the ‘not familiar, scared, will take time’ variety, not the ‘surrounded by opportunity to assimilate, too socially inadequate to adapt, react with hate’.

Incidentally, there are few streets left on this island where people with views like yours are not in the minority, and you won’t find much sympathy in Caithness.

Overall, we Caithnessians are a cosmopolitan lot, with a world view reflecting that, something gifted us by our history and our constant need to adapt to survive.

Your use to this community will be measured on your ability to assimilate, not on the colour of your skin. Better start practicing.

percy toboggan
05-Dec-06, 20:28
Percy>

History will tell you, were you to listen, that society is constantly changing.

Of course. Although never in our modern history - with speed of communication/news/ etc. has such change ocurred at such a rapid and accelerated rate.In fact I'd wager that never in any of our history have millions stormed the shores within a decade.

I'll take no lessons in history from you.

I've already said I have NO problem with 'mixed' marriages. People who have such issues have every right to them if downright hositility remains publicly unvoiced. This may stem from generational concerns, it may stem from long held beliefs. You have absolutely no right to impose any sanguine, sanitised view of racial mixing upon anyone else. You have your own view. It is no more, no less valiud than anyone elses despite your self-inflated, and somewhat pompous view of yourself.

Mixed marriages are fine and like any marriage they need more than a dose of luck and some hard work to survive. I'd guess mixed marriages come under more external strain than most.

Given that we are now so 'cosmopolitan' nationally is it not surprising that there are not many more of them ? This might tax your all encompassing, all inclusive mind a little but it is worth a thought.

dozerboy
06-Dec-06, 13:36
We are all the same species of animal are we not - colour, race etc has nothing to do with anything. There should never be a problem here. If 2 people can find true feelings for each other, then that is the best thing, nothing else matters.

We are all fellow human beings after all.

A little bit of respect and tolerance is all that's required.

Dreadnought
06-Dec-06, 16:47
but 16% the same as a LETTUCE...

Ah... but without that 16% where would the BNP be? :lol:

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Dec-06, 18:43

Nail. Head. Hit.

Jeemag_USA
16-Dec-06, 04:19
I am white and my wife is african american, have been maried 7 years and lived in Scotland for four of those, not once have I ever seen anyone turn their head or look funny or ever say anything out of turn or for that matter even care, so I don't know why it would worry some people. An to be honest "a ticking time bomb" .. wel sorry but that is so far from the truth.

I think something far more worrying and something more attention should be paid to is the colors and religions that cannot get along rather than those couples who do. Its far more important to worry about the fact the world is kiling each other on a daily basis than what shade of brown our babies will be (our son looks spanish for those who wants to know).

The color of a persons skin is of no more significance than the size of their feet. And another thing that is far more damaging than mixed race relationships is people with blinkers on. Patriotism is a more dangerous thing than that, being proud of your nationality can be as damaging as it is good. People who say "My Country should be this and my country should be that, and let me get my flag out and shout at people, there is plenty of that in the USA and in the UK, I used to be very patriotic about being Scottish when I was younger, but since I moved to the USA I can see how much of a mind numbing severely damaging weapon patriotism can be, and I am patriotic no longer, I love my country for the right reasons and not the wrong, but I will never again consider myself a patriot because it is too closely related to facism. People need to start thinking as a planet and as human beings, but instead more people are interested in boundaries, borders and what color their flag is and how high they should fly it. Sorry but its all meaningless trivial b******t and is the root behind most evil. Start thinking in a circle and not a square.

Think of this, all human beings are basically symetrical and look the same, we all have two legs and two arms if we are lucky, two eyes two ears, a nose, a mouth a brain a head, hair and all the rest. We all grow up wishing to be something, we all need to work to get money, we all have problems, we all have good times and bad times, we all fight with our relatives and then kiss and make up, we all die and we all depart this earth in about as good a shape as we come in. BUt for a hell of a lot of us we fill up our lives with reasons we should hate or dislike people because we have nothing better to do than to deny ourselves the chance to be enlightened and intellegent, and those people end up leaving as ignorant as the day they came in.

and thats about the be all and end all of it.

Lolabelle
16-Dec-06, 06:07
This will most likely sound silly, but I love mixed race marriages as they produce such gorgeous kids. Some friends of ours are anglo/indian mix and they have the most beautiful little girls.
People are people and colour or race or breed don't come into it. Neither does big age gaps. Just be happy. And let others do the same.
But as said earlier in the thread, there can be some huge cultural issues that may cause problems.

Elenna
16-Dec-06, 14:42
That was an excellent post Jeemag. Thank you for that.

johno
16-Dec-06, 19:49
Why shouldnt people of different colour or race get married & what is it to anybody else, to pass judgment on. If a small thing like the skin pigment doe,nt bother them why should it matter to others. I have white friends & coloured friends even yellow friends, i take them as i find them and get on very well with them. Folks are folks no matter what race or nationality ,there are good & bad every where. Judge ye not lest ye be judged.
is that not a biblical saying
[disgust]