PDA

View Full Version : Router vs Switch

Niall Fernie
07-Aug-12, 21:38
I'm going to be moving our main PCs to a part of the house where wireless will be very poor.

I am going to run a cable from that area to the router/modem and wondered if anyone could advise if adding a switch to the other end would allow me to connect more than one PC or do I need another router?

This would save me running more than one cable to the router?

I'm not really that fussed about internal network speed as its not really used that way that often and my internet is only 8meg (well closer to 6) so what would be the best suggestion for a low budget approach to this?

Basically, 2 (sometimes 3) PCs connecting mainly to the internet and the odd connection by iPod and possibly WDTV Live which will probably be fine with wireless.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Bobinovich
07-Aug-12, 23:52
I have a similar setup in my office - BT Business router with multiple devices in the office itself, then a long cable to a Netgear 5-port switch in the workshop giving me 4 additional ports to plug clients PC's into for web access. Works great & has done for years.

Niall Fernie
08-Aug-12, 09:32
Thanks Bob, sounds good to me :)

Connor.
08-Aug-12, 13:48
I run a switch around 15 feet away from my router to allow a decent connection for gaming for me and my OH.

I've had no problems with it. Should be good for the setup you require.

Niall Fernie
08-Aug-12, 17:45
I have one winging it's way to me now. All I need to do now is get the decorating done so I can move everything into its new location :|

Niall Fernie
10-Aug-12, 02:16
Well the switch took less than 24 hours to arrive, well done to the Aria.co.uk/Royal Mail combo.

I wish I could finish my decorating in a similar time :)