PDA

View Full Version : Donaldsins diary

champagnebaby
07-Aug-12, 12:50
I've just been looking at the DonaldsIn diary section and I notice that some of the so called 'facts' he's written about yesterdays court cases are actually untrue but yet when I tried to post in the thread it wouldn't allow me. What right does this person have to be posting whatever he likes and people aren't allowed to comment on It? I thought this was a forum the definition of forum Is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged" but yet I am denied the right to post my views! There have also been other times I've seen stuff written that has been incorrect, very unfair to the people involved for this man to get away with writing whatever he likes, maybe i'll start a webpage and go down to the court and write reports each day see how long I can get away with it for.....

Moonboots
07-Aug-12, 12:56
I totally agree!!!

Ive seen on various occasions that his posts are incorrect....

poppett
07-Aug-12, 13:22
Sadly it is down to one person`s interpretation of what was being said in court at the time. If it isn`t reported verbatim and in context there will always be a difference of opinion.

Corrie 3
07-Aug-12, 13:36
It was only a couple of weeks ago that I wrote to Noel and congratulated him on his diary on the .Org.

He provides a valuable service to the ill, disabled and elderly who don't have a newsagent within a 10mile radius of their homes. I particularly like the court case posts as I like to know who is causing trouble in our County, what they have been up to, and what punishment (if any) they receive!
I am sure, like all of us, Noel is going to make the odd mistake but if that bothers you so much then he will always answer a private message. It is also right and proper that his diary remains locked as I can imagine some replies to his posts will be of an unsavoury nature.

Keep up the good work Noel and thank you Bill and Niall for allowing us to enjoy Noel's diary!

C3.................:):)

parkie
07-Aug-12, 18:07
if you know it was incorrect and you get no reply from noel,i would get in touch with sherriff court ask for a copy of what was said them you can print the truth

mi16
07-Aug-12, 20:27
It was only a couple of weeks ago that I wrote to Noel and congratulated him on his diary on the .Org.

He provides a valuable service to the ill, disabled and elderly who don't have a newsagent within a 10mile radius of their homes. I particularly like the court case posts as I like to know who is causing trouble in our County, what they have been up to, and what punishment (if any) they receive!
I am sure, like all of us, Noel is going to make the odd mistake but if that bothers you so much then he will always answer a private message. It is also right and proper that his diary remains locked as I can imagine some replies to his posts will be of an unsavoury nature.

Keep up the good work Noel and thank you Bill and Niall for allowing us to enjoy Noel's diary!

C3.................:):)

I would expect a blog such as his to be accurate at the very least.

Bill Fernie
07-Aug-12, 20:29
I've just been looking at the DonaldsIn diary section and I notice that some of the so called 'facts' he's written about yesterdays court cases are actually untrue but yet when I tried to post in the thread it wouldn't allow me. What right does this person have to be posting whatever he likes and people aren't allowed to comment on It? I thought this was a forum the definition of forum Is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged" but yet I am denied the right to post my views! There have also been other times I've seen stuff written that has been incorrect, very unfair to the people involved for this man to get away with writing whatever he likes, maybe i'll start a webpage and go down to the court and write reports each day see how long I can get away with it for.....

The forum set up we use allows many different features many of which we do not use. One we do use from time to time is to close certain items. One of these is Doanalsin's Diary. Noel offers to use his skills and experience to report on items that might be of interest to folk on here but he does not wish to take part in debates on the items. It is perfectly possible to do so in the general section as in here.

All you need to do is quote the item and I will assume you are referring to this one -
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?184166-Cases-from-yesterday-s-custody-court
(http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?184166-Cases-from-yesterday-s-custody-court)
Unless anyone knows something about the particular circumstances I do not see what is so different from any report in a newspaper when a letter to the editor would be required to put a point over about a wrong or misquoted item. The paper might or might not print the letter. Here at least you can within reason post the "facts" as you see it almost immediately.

There are four cases in the item and no doubt the court will in due course apply the appropriate sentences if the parties concerned are found guilty. I doubt if anything in the report on the diary will be considered. Noel has and does amend items if things are wrong or misquoted when he is told. Indeed he has removed items from time to time.

You do not say whether the report of the facts is wrong in court or whether Noel has misquoted what was said in court.

It is perfectly possible for anyone to start a web site and report on anything they want to. The tone of what you say suggests you are not happy with one particular report but is that about the fact it is reported here or that it is actually wrong. Is it the reporting that is wrong or do you dispute what was said in the court?

Other suggestions noting that other reports read might have been wrong are a bit meaningless unless the facts of those reports are brought out to substantiate such comments. Reporters in court do their best to give concise report of what happened in court and for many the main thing will not be all the small details but the charges and the sentence if guilty. Knowing Noel I can be sure that he is as ready as the next person to admit any mistakes and rectify them if they are pointed out to him. But I would not expect him to participate in arguments on here about particular reports he makes. Any debate can be in this section. If genuine mistakes are uncovered then Noel can if he chooses amend his item.

Gizmo
08-Aug-12, 12:31
There doesn't seem to be any difference between what is reported in Donalsin's Diary and what is reported in todays Caithness Courier. There are always going to be small reporting discrepancies from time to time, but I generally find Noel pretty reliable.

catran
08-Aug-12, 16:37
Aye, whatever next, the diary is fine and I feel sure Noel reports as accurately as the Newspapers.

lhm
08-Aug-12, 21:53
It looks like the same court publications on Donaldsons diary as in today's paper have they got it wrong too some people complian about anything keep up the good work Noel

Yon Chiel
09-Aug-12, 11:33
If you want to know who's up in Wick court at anytime, just go here...

http://www.scotcourt.gov.uk/locations/index.asp?crt=wck&val=rolls

Corrie 3
09-Aug-12, 12:32
If you want to know who's up in Wick court at anytime, just go here...

http://www.scotcourt.gov.uk/locations/index.asp?crt=wck&val=rolls
Mon 13th seems a busy day YC, 44 people all in Court one!!!

I wonder how many will use drink as an excuse?

C3............:roll:;)