PDA

View Full Version : Photographic Exhibition

Mosser
06-Aug-12, 17:11
The Wick Society have mounted a new exhibition of Johnston prints in the St Fergus Gallery, Wick which will run until September1st. Admission is free and the opening hours are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 12 noon to 5.30pm Wednesday, closed, Friday 2pm - 8pm and Saturday 10.30am - 1pm. Copies of any of the prints in a choice of sizes can be ordered via Pay Pal online at johnstoncollection.net full details are available at the exhibition.
Mosser

Moira
08-Aug-12, 20:56
Many thanks Mosser for the heads up.

Will go a look. :)

George Brims
10-Aug-12, 00:53
Well that's just cost me more time than I care to admit and there is still tons to look at!
One picture is titled "Burnt out remains of the Breadalbane Hall" (picture JN23264B028). I remember there was a Breadalbane Cinema at one point, and I think it then became the Dounreay Club? Anyone know the history of it?

Mosser
10-Aug-12, 16:41
The original hall was built by the Pulteneytown United Templar Association at a cost of £2,500. The foundation stone was laid by Ex Provost William Paterson Smith, the gentleman who donated to the town the Fountain at the Riverside and the Hall was opened on 25th August 1911 by Lady Victoria Cavendish Bentink the only daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Portland. It was used a cinema and for variety shows mostly run by the famous Flo Dixie.
Thursday 20th July 1933 disaster struck the Breadalbane hall when it was burnt down. but due to the enterprise of Caledonian Associated Cinemas, who were now proprietors of the Pavilion, reconstruction took place and on Wednesday March 35 1936 the New Breadalbane Hall was officially opened by Provost Harper.
by the early 1960s the glory days were over, the Breadalbane was bought by Wick Town Council for £6000 and in 1962 they in turn sold the hall for £3000 and several plans for conversion to a social club were put forward. For the years 1966/67 Wick Youth Club were tenants. The final plans for alteration to licensed premises were submitted by Wick Dounreay Club in 1968 and by 1970 the hall was trading as Wick Dounreay Social Club.

Moira
10-Aug-12, 20:45
Well that's just cost me more time than I care to admit and there is still tons to look at!
One picture is titled "Burnt out remains of the Breadalbane Hall" (picture JN23264B028). I remember there was a Breadalbane Cinema at one point, and I think it then became the Dounreay Club? Anyone know the history of it?

I was just about to suggest you contact Mosser. They've beat me to it by replying..... :)