PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity lands on Mars

Rheghead
06-Aug-12, 14:40
Congratulations to the team at NASA for making this happen. It will look for signs of life on the red planet and my curiosity needs to be settled either way.

Alrock
06-Aug-12, 15:14
Congratulations to the team at NASA for making this happen. It will look for signs of life on the red planet and my curiosity needs to be settled either way.

& if life is found do we still amalgamate the planet into ours as a colony or do we let them have their freedom & independence despite the detrimental effect on their economy since they probably don't have any form of currency to speak off? Maybe they could adopt the Euro or do you think the Americans will insist on the USD?

Rheghead
06-Aug-12, 15:16
& if life is found do we still amalgamate the planet into ours as a colony or do we let them have their freedom & independence despite the detrimental effect on their economy since they probably don't have any form of currency to speak off? Maybe they could adopt the Euro or do you think the Americans will insist on the USD?

A very good question. I'd expect or hope it becomes an evolution park to be left to its own.

Tilly Teckel
06-Aug-12, 15:19
Maybe they could adopt the Euro or do you think the Americans will insist on the USD?

Surely it'll be the dollar... don't the Americans own Mars??

Alrock
06-Aug-12, 15:24
... I'd expect or hope it becomes an evolution park to be left to its own.

All depends on what mineral deposits are found, maybe even oil....

Rheghead
06-Aug-12, 15:28
All depends on what mineral deposits are found, maybe even oil....

Actually one of the aims of the mission is to investigation dark carbonaceous streaks that have been seen from orbit.

Alrock
06-Aug-12, 15:35
Actually one of the aims of the mission is to investigation dark carbonaceous streaks that have been seen from orbit.

So... what effect will that have on the price of oil & what will be the consequences on the future economy of an independent Scotland?
Is a major rethink in order?

Niall Fernie
06-Aug-12, 17:24
Was just watching a bit of the after-landing-conference on ustream and it's pretty amazing to see that it landed within 2 kilometres of the chosen target.

The seven minutes of waiting to find out if everything went as planned must have been heart stopping.

captain chaos
06-Aug-12, 21:28
Delighted to see our detectors have survived the decent. The company I work for has provided most of the radiation monitoring devices on board the curiosity

ducati
06-Aug-12, 22:06
Hey Martians! Give us back our Beagle :mad:

I can imagine the response...will yer pack it in. You could take someone's eye out with that thing!

oldmarine
07-Aug-12, 00:16
We may all be surprised by the type of life found on Mars. It may not be human if any is found.

Big Gaz
07-Aug-12, 10:07
Through a friend of a friend of a friend in the NASA control room, he's emailed me the 1st picture to be sent back by curiosity. I take great pleasure in posting it here for all us mere mortals to see!!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/c0.0.300.300/p403x403/255240_504332439596214_1147023620_n.jpg

Corrie 3
07-Aug-12, 10:31
Through a friend of a friend of a friend in the NASA control room, he's emailed me the 1st picture to be sent back by curiosity. I take great pleasure in posting it here for all us mere mortals to see!!
I would have put money on the first picture to be either and empty Coca-Cola can, an empty packet of Walkers crisps or a Tesco plastic bag!!

C3..............:roll:;)