PDA

View Full Version : Caithness and the European Union

Rheghead
24-Jan-05, 21:56
The EU is seen by many to be a force for good between differing nations. It offers stability, trade opportunities and peace. Others believe it to be a threat to our sovereignty and corrupt. How do you feel?

Drutt
24-Jan-05, 22:04
I can't help thinking that 'anonymous moderators' would find it easier to remain under the radar if they'd keep polls and sticky posts to a minimum. ;)

DrSzin
25-Jan-05, 01:24
Er. we are already fully integrated into the EU!

Ok, so we don't (yet) use the Euro, but I bet we will once Euroland returns to more relaxed fiscal policies. The problem is that I have no idea how long this will take. I think it would be silly to enter Euroland at present.

Rheghead
25-Jan-05, 10:54
Early signs indicate that things are looking good for keeping the Pound...

Donnie
25-Jan-05, 15:02
I can't help thinking that 'anonymous moderators' would find it easier to remain under the radar if they'd keep polls and sticky posts to a minimum. ;)

That's what I was just thinking. I don't see why the poll needs to be a sticky.

jjc
25-Jan-05, 15:11
That's what I was just thinking. I don't see why the poll needs to be a sticky.
It's tempting to say that the new moderators should use their powers with moderation...

It always seemed to me that sticky threads should be reserved for important announcements that everybody should be reading (such as the creation of new moderators ;)) and not simply used to promote the topics that the moderators are interested in. If we all agree with them the topic will stay near the top of the listing anyway.

My only problem with polls, on the other hand, is that we can't all start them. Perhaps we should have a poll to see who would like to be able to start polls?

gravedigga
25-Jan-05, 16:01
Perhaps we should have a poll to see who would like to be able to start polls?

There's an idea :D

Then everyone would be able to keep the topics they started at the top instead of just the 'privileged' people.

Rheghead
25-Jan-05, 16:06
It may be a good idea to have a poll to see how many people believe it is a good idea to have a poll about having a poll? :lol:

Zael
26-Jan-05, 11:18
Sounds like we should have a poll to see if he should keep his powers or lose them.

Moderator, if you please...

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 17:42
One thing is for certain by this poll, the pound is safe from abolishment.

john278
28-Jan-05, 17:54
does anybody here really know the economic benefits of adopting the EURO, i do.

Get rid of the pound, we would be financially, all be better of with the EURO.

Do not ask me for some long winded explanation, just go a read up on the matter yourself, don't listen to some old codger talking about the old days. Look to the future.

We need a strong currency for trading against the US and the far east, a stronger currency is essential for this, and the more trade done using the euro the stronger it is on the world market.

Join the future, the future is EUROPE

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 17:57
In case you hadn't noticed John, the pound is very strong against the dollar.

john278
28-Jan-05, 17:59
the pound is a dated currency and should be left for the english to fly flags about.

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 18:02
It appears that the majority of Scots share the English's sentiments...

john278
28-Jan-05, 18:05
if all scots knew that the original scottish currency was the MERK, maybe their sentiment would want the MERK.

This matter is not about sentiment it is about reallity and the 21st century.

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 18:13
if all scots knew that the original scottish currency was the MERK, maybe their sentiment would want the MERK.

This matter is not about sentiment it is about reallity and the 21st century.

Well if you want to be the loyal subject of the power mongering Javier Solano, that is up to you. The majority of us want self determination.

john278
28-Jan-05, 18:18
you talk of self determination, yet we are subjects of an out of touch monarchy.

Your comments, about subjects to a an elected european representative, sound almost racist.

i feel you have an outdated racist opinion about europeans, i think you must be ROBERT KILROY SILK!!!!

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 18:25
I am glad you said almost racist because if you actually meant otherwise but were too afraid to accuse me then I would consider that an insult which is against forum rules, see trolling and making comments likely to upset forum members.

As for Kilroy, at least he has the guts to be truthful about what is going on in the EU.

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 18:28
BTW Solano has never been voted in by me or anybody else FTM

john278
28-Jan-05, 18:28
answer the question and do not quote forum rules to me.

You have been deliberately trying to provoke me, which i have refused to up until now.

Use reason, and answer a question which seems to be beyond you

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 18:30
it seems the only provoking done here is by you

Drutt
28-Jan-05, 20:12
Your comments, about subjects to a an elected european representative, sound almost racist.

i feel you have an outdated racist opinion about europeans, i think you must be ROBERT KILROY SILK!!!!
Don't bite your tongue there, john278, say what you really mean! ;)

Do not ask me for some long winded explanation, just go a read up on the matter yourself, don't listen to some old codger talking about the old days. Look to the future.
Seriously though, if you have a point, please make it so that we may respond.

It seems a better idea than presuming we know your point, then throwing near-insults to... whom? Everyone reading this? It seems you've already decided what everyone thinks, and you're slamming us for it.

What's wrong, john278? Worried the SSP's going to implode sans-Sheridan?

gravedigga
28-Jan-05, 20:17
Well if you want to be the loyal subject of the power mongering Javier Solano, that is up to you. The majority of us want self determination.

Javier Solano - Who's he? what'd he do?

crayola
28-Jan-05, 21:00

He plays for Aston Villa. He scored a great last-minute winner against Blackburn Rovers the other week. Did you no see it?

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 23:57

Well if you really want to know about this 'power monger' just have a look at this website (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Javier%20Solana%20Madariaga).

My opinion is that he holds too much power for being an unelected official. He has more titles than any member of the Royal family that I know...

gravedigga
29-Jan-05, 00:35
Aye he does seem to have his fingers in plenty o pies.

Rheghead
30-May-05, 23:46
I am glad to see that our amphibian friends have rejected the EU constitution, it is a pity there couldn't be a vote to scrap this unwanted monolith once and for all. In my opinion, the EU has changed since 1972 when we entered the common market, then it was a force for peace and hope but now it is a bureaucratic melting pot of bickering. The constitution is 450 pages long, unreadable and stops us from making Caithness champagne. Sacre bleu!!

Whitewater
31-May-05, 15:18
Rheghead wrote

The constitution is 450 pages long, unreadable and stops us from making Caithness champagne. Sacre bleu!!

I am really sorry it has stopped us from making Caithness champagne, [mad] but perhaps just as well. I remember in my younger days I had made a batch of sparkling wine and was delivering a bottle or two to one of my friends when the movement of the car was just enough to blow the tops of the bottles, I nearly had to change my underpants.

But being serious I'm glad the french have rejected it. Tony Blair was leaving us to the last for our referendum so that he could use the fear factor and say that we would be isolated from the rest of Europe if we rejected it.

I wonder how many of the other eight countries that have accepted it would have had the same result had they had a referendum.

As regards the Euro, the pound is a much stronger currencyat the moment and has been since its the euros introduction. The euro is only as good the weaker economies of Europe allow it to be.

Setanta
31-May-05, 15:31
It wasnt just a case of the Fench rejecting it. In the no camp there were several other issue that dominated the vote. A lot of social issues and concern about other countries joining as much as about the charter. Even thouhg it was a huge no vote the news coverage does not reflect the whole picture.