PDA

View Full Version : Red flare sparks Thurso lifeboat search at Dunnet

Jerrico
04-Aug-12, 17:37
That Monday night two military Merlin helicopters was spotted landing at Castle of Mey most probably something to do with Prince Charles visit to Caithness, someone might of mistaken the helicopters red navigation lights for flares in the low evening light. In the pass military aircraft navigation lights have been the cause for Lifeboat/Coastguard callouts.

Phill
04-Aug-12, 20:52
In the pass military aircraft navigation lights have been the cause for Lifeboat/Coastguard callouts.How's that?

Gronnuck
04-Aug-12, 22:03
What are you talking about? There's been no Merlin helicopters hereabouts.

Jerrico
05-Aug-12, 01:57
Well that flashing red light from an aircraft in certain weather, light conditions like at dawn or dusk to the lay person can be mistaken for red parachute flare especially if the helicopter flying low disappearing over an hill or horizon at low flying speed. On another the other hand even car tail lights especially rear fog lamps also the modern led tail lights have been mistaken for flares in the past.

For someone to actually go out and launch a red distress flare for fun must be totally brain dead or that base they don't give a dam about the consequences and potential risk to life!

Jerrico
05-Aug-12, 01:59
What are you talking about? There's been no Merlin helicopters hereabouts.

You think whatever!

Phill
05-Aug-12, 09:46
You think whatever!Are they stealth versions?

kas
05-Aug-12, 09:55
It was a red flare, they even found the casing

Phill
06-Aug-12, 00:45
So not the alleged Charlie boys Merlin then!

Jerrico
06-Aug-12, 02:12
Must of been optical illusion my wife, daughter myself and half of Mey witnessed that night!

joxville
06-Aug-12, 02:47
It would help if the original post made sense; punctuation might have helped too but on re-reading it it's as if I'm joining a conversation halfway through.

Jerrico
06-Aug-12, 17:06
It would help if the original post made sense; punctuation might have helped too but on re-reading it it's as if I'm joining a conversation halfway through.

Mr Niall Fernie in drag I reckon, Keep up the good work I mean sarcasm joxville!Lol

joxville
06-Aug-12, 22:21
I think that's a slur against Niall! But thanks for crediting me with intelligence :-)