PDA

View Full Version : Would a pine martin attack a dog?

gmcborgie
04-Aug-12, 00:20
My dog was attacked earlier our large garden, it definately wasn't a cat from the sounds it didn't sound like a fox either. We do have lots of pine martin about though. Couldn't see what was attacking him but he has a nasty cut under his eye, also the rotary washing line is bent double,(maybe during the attack?) don't know what happened but thats where the dog was attacked. Weird....

labsrus
04-Aug-12, 11:28
Dont know about pine martens but I have had a dog bitten by a weasel before, nasty bite which swole up and gave her a temperature of 105 degrees. beautiful but viscious little creatures!

Would think a pine marten would be the same if cornered and could give a nasty bite, hope your dog is ok, to be on the safe side keep an eye on hime in case it gets infected.

widdy
04-Aug-12, 14:54
They certainly could inflict damage with their teeth but wouldn't go out looking for a fight. It is breeding season so it may be that your dog stumbled across a litter and the mother was defending her kits. Don't forget we also have polecats up here which are part of the mustelidae family like pine martens, and can also inflict some nasty damage if threatened. Did you notice if there was a musky cat-spray type smell around the garden after the attack? Mustelids have scent glands beneath their tale and often 'skunk' when they feel threatened.

gmcborgie
04-Aug-12, 20:34
It'd been raining so I never noticed any smell. I know when the dog goes out at nights he goes mad barking & growling sometimes and I've never seen at what though. I wil keep an eye on the cut, its very nasty. Thank you!