sam
01-Dec-06, 22:39
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13554870,00.html

unicorn
01-Dec-06, 22:47
And there was me adding more salt to my food :) I don't want to live to be 100

Alice in Blunderland
01-Dec-06, 22:49
Hope cheap wine is okay as I have become quite partial to that :D ;)

Kenn
02-Dec-06, 02:32
Are you aware that Tesco imports chicken from China, processes it here and labels it British?
Now I would be asking serious questions about that as China has endemic Bird Flu and I like to know where my food is coming from.
Cheap prices BEWARE!

JAWS
02-Dec-06, 03:42
I'm still panicking about mercury in Tuna. They still haven't found the massive source of the pollution which causes it.

I stopped bothering about all the constant food "warnings" when I died of starvation thirty years ago.

Does anybody know what I can eat which will make me live for ever?

sassylass
02-Dec-06, 05:10
I'm still panicking about mercury in Tuna. They still haven't found the massive source of the pollution which causes it.

I stopped bothering about all the constant food "warnings" when I died of starvation thirty years ago.

Does anybody know what I can eat which will make me live for ever?

sliced mars bars [lol]

Kaishowing
02-Dec-06, 10:30
Typical!! As usual, only the 'well off' are able to buy healthy food, while the not so 'well off' are to make do with 2nd or 3rd class produce that's probably been smothered in chemicals. Small wonder that poverty and ill-health often go hand in hand.

bobsgirl
02-Dec-06, 11:44
Most meats we get from our local butchers so quality is always there.
Dont usually go for the cheap brands, heinz is always best for beans and soups. When you get them on offer they are good value anyway. Fair enough not as cheap as shop brand but worth the extra pennies for quality.

danc1ngwitch
02-Dec-06, 17:11
Does anybody know what I can eat which will make me live for ever?[/quote]

yep i know but canna say on the org .. lol[lol]

htwood
02-Dec-06, 17:24
Dried beans are easy to cook, they just take some time, but at least you control whether they are salted or not.
It's sad that poverty and poor nutrition (and ill health) often go hand in hand.
Fat, salt and sugars are cheap commodities.

JAWS
02-Dec-06, 22:01
There are plenty of good, wholesome, healthy foods available which are cheap enough to buy.
The only problem with them is that they don't come out of a tin or a packet ready made. You have to go through the tedious and very boring process of having to prepare them and then make sure they are properly cooked,
It's all very time consuming and cuts right into the time you can spend doing more exciting things like slouching in front of the Telly.

Kenn
02-Dec-06, 23:26
It only takes a couple of minutess to steam spinnach ,you can eat water cress raw and most other vegetables can be grated or sliced and eaten uncooked.
Slow cookers are great, just pile in the pulses,vegetables, meat if you like and some good stock, leave to simmer all day. Scrumptious.
What about good old oats? Porridge, flapjacks,treacle tarts.
Eggs can be turned into a myriad of dishes in a matter of minutes as can cheese and pasta.
So Jaws, no excuses about it taking up your TV time.....heck was that you chasing Olive Oyl?
I meant a portion of spinach not a whole sack full!

pultneytooner
02-Dec-06, 23:32
They say most supermarkets own brands are full of pesticides and because they are from another country there isn't the same checks as made on british foods.
Also g.m foods are still common in supermarkets as in foreign countries some cattle and other livestock are fed on g.m feeds as the supermarket puts pressure on them to sell cheaply meaning they feed them unsafe foods.

danc1ngwitch
03-Dec-06, 20:05
twitches nose... hmmmm foods even the fruit doesna last as long as it used to when we were kids. I remember the old butchers in castletown, my mum used to stop in and buy me a banana and i aint ever tasted bananas like that anywhere else. Oh and plums in the brown paper bag that i used to get after i had eaten my dinner. Here's to that old butchers... xxx

JAWS
03-Dec-06, 22:26
It only takes a couple of minutess to steam spinnach ,you can eat water cress raw and most other vegetables can be grated or sliced and eaten uncooked.
Slow cookers are great, just pile in the pulses,vegetables, meat if you like and some good stock, leave to simmer all day. Scrumptious.
What about good old oats? Porridge, flapjacks,treacle tarts.
Eggs can be turned into a myriad of dishes in a matter of minutes as can cheese and pasta.
So Jaws, no excuses about it taking up your TV time.....heck was that you chasing Olive Oyl?
I meant a portion of spinach not a whole sack full!I manage to use fresh food most of the time, it's much cheaper than buying ready made food and is also better for your health.
Low income is no excuse for not eating healthy food, all the foods you mention are quite economical to use but some people will not take the bother to use them when they can just heat something up out of a tin or a packet.
The best two moves I ever made was to get a slow cooker and a steamer.

Alice in Blunderland
03-Dec-06, 22:32
The best move I made was to chuck out the deep fat fryer. :)

peedie
04-Dec-06, 17:32
Hope cheap wine is okay as I have become quite partial to that :D ;)

haha i totally agree with that!!!

George Brims
04-Dec-06, 18:28

Oh yes they have. It's the output from coal-fired power stations, which eventually, via rainfall clearing the ash & smoke out of the sky, end up in the sea. The concentration of mercury up the food chain highlights why it's not altogether smart to be eating the (almost) top predator.

Mind you I do like to eat tuna, but I have cut back.

Through
04-Dec-06, 18:59
Well, I'm already mad, so don't feel the need to avoid mercury. Seriously though, something I don't understand is that Scotland has THE world leaders in clean coal technology in Mitsui Babcock Energy Limited, but we don't use them in our own country. Bonkers!