PDA

View Full Version : Sparrow Hawk

Liz
24-Jan-05, 15:34
I put out food for the wild birds all the time and usually have to refill the feeders at least once a day.
However, over the past couple of weeks hardly any food has been taken.

The only reason I can think of for this is that a Sparrow Hawk keeps coming into the garden.

Has anyone else noticed a decline in the number of birds coming into their garden?

If it is the Sparrowhawk who is frightening the birds off can anyone think of a humane way to 'scare it off'? :roll:

Thanks!

Rheghead
24-Jan-05, 18:08
We have also noticed a big decline in bird numbers since about a month ago, maybe the winds had something to with it? I live at reay so I don't think it could be the same sparrowhawk?

Liz
24-Jan-05, 18:42
I did think the winds might have had something to do with it but I contacted the RSPB and they didn't think this would be the case. :roll:

The Sparrow Hawk is the only reason I could think of but maybe this isn't the case?Don't think he'll be commuting from Reiss to Reay on a daily basis?!!!

It's really awful not having any birds coming into the garden. It seems eerily quiet! :~(

Sadly I think for numerous reasons common species such as sparrows, finches and starlings are declining in numbers quite dramatically.

It still seems strange that for one while I had a large number of birds coming to feed and now there are only three or four at a time and most of these are 'babies'!!!

Rheghead
24-Jan-05, 19:48
I wonder if the birds left due to the cold snap? Like you, I am worried about it

I had 2 rare migrant, native american species in my garden just before Xmas. Only joking but do you think they had a birdtable swap?

Liz
24-Jan-05, 20:22
I had a reply from someone else in the RSPB who says it is because of the milder weather and 'natural' food being available.

Also they are finding mates just now and sorting out territories.

I hope this is the case but have to say that I've been feeding birds for many years and this is the first year I can remember where we've had so few birds coming to feed. Yet I can see starlings, crows and collared doves in the fields?

It's a mystery! :roll:

Maybe they are having a 'Bird Swap' with the Americans?!!!! :D

Hope they come back soon!

Rheghead
24-Jan-05, 20:32
I also am a member of RSPB, I rejoined at Forsinard.

BTW Those collared doves are not a native British species. They drive me completely nuts because at sunrise I get 'Doo DOO doo' for about 4 hours. I am a shiftworker so you can imagine my predicament.

I hasten to add that I don't descriminate against ethnic groups, they are still entitled to some suet and nuts!! :lol:

Liz
24-Jan-05, 23:11
You'll have to get some earplugs!! :D I know of someone who got really good ones if you're interested?

Think they must come to you in the morning and make so much noise they lose their voices as they arrive here later in the day and are quiet!

Let me know if the birds start coming back to your garden.
Really hope they do as it's awful without them. I love the sound of birdsong.

Kenn
24-Jan-05, 23:28
Hope it is merely a change in the temp. that's causing your feathered friends to go missing. Must say didn't see the usual sparrow hawks last time up and where were the redwings and the fieldfares?Did manage a few hooper swans,gosanders,buzzards,hoodies along with all the usual waders,ducks and geese and the resident robin where we stay was looking ready to see off any one who dared to trepass on his territory.
Keep us posted .

lois17
25-Jan-05, 08:02
The birds are still visiting our feeders in the garden, even in all the rough winds of last week, they were still clinging on to feed! Nothing too exciting, greenfinches, chaffinch, dunnock, bluetits, coaltit, starling, and a pair of collared doves. We also enjoyed some visiting waxwings a few months back....it's nice to see something different!

Liz
25-Jan-05, 14:00
I definitely think it's the Sparrowhawk!

The birds had come back into our garden after the strong winds and then suddenly stopped. That's when I saw the Sparrowhawk.

I've been told by the RSPB to fill up bottles of water and hang it around the garden or put CD's on a string. Apparently they don't like sudden movement.
Don't think I have enough old CD's! :roll:

Does anyone have any other ideas?

ŠAmethyst
25-Jan-05, 14:02
I got loads of junk CDs! You can have them if you want.

Rheghead
25-Jan-05, 14:09
Liz, I am not too sure if it is a good idea to prevent the sparrowhawk from taking its natural prey, though you could have a point about preventing it picking off little birds around the birdtable. Any attempt to prevent cats and stuff from having an easy meal ticket should be encouraged....short of harming them of course.

Liz
25-Jan-05, 15:29
Amethyst thanks for the offer of CD's. I'll pm you.

Rheghead, I don't want to stop the Sparrowhawk hunting his prey which I believe are old, sick and injured birds usually.

I just want to stop him coming into my garden!!!

The birds need to get as much food as they can and I was providing this for them.
I also really enjoy watching them.

Rheghead
25-Jan-05, 21:36
Hey Liz, the RSPB are having a National bird watch where we count the number of birds in our gardens for an hour and send them the results over this weekend coming. This will give them a census on bird population across the UK.

I don't think we will be too inconvenienced to take part in this, judging by our posts? :eyes :o)

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch

Liz
25-Jan-05, 23:05
I was going to take part in this but don't know if I can spend an hour staring at an empty tree!!!!! :eek:

Rheghead
25-Jan-05, 23:07
I was going to take part in this but don't know if I can spend an hour staring at an empty tree!!!!! :eek:

They might be back from the Americas by then? :o)

Liz
25-Jan-05, 23:26
You'd think they could have sent a postcard!!! :D

Rheghead
25-Jan-05, 23:29
Well, I won't be too sure about them returning from the states.The portions of food are always bigger out there.... :)

Liz
25-Jan-05, 23:33
Never thought of that!!!!!! :D

Even if they want to come back they're probably too fat to fly!!! :(

George Brims
26-Jan-05, 05:59
When I was a student at the U of Edinburgh, they had a problem with birds flying into a glass-walled corridor that connected a modern new lecture hall to the older Engineering Dept building. The thing was in the shade of trees and so the glass didn't show up well. A few paper cutouts of hawks stuck on the glass solved the problem, though it deprived a couple of stray cats of a ready source of food! So, I am sure it is the sparrowhawk that is scaring off your visitors.

ŠAmethyst
26-Jan-05, 11:26
all you can eat buffets in the US might persuade them to stay... but still...

CDs might scare off other birds, but if you take them down after a while, I'm sure the sparrow hawk will stay away and other birds will start visiting again... I could be wrong, but still.

Liz
26-Jan-05, 14:21
I think it is the SparrowHawk as there is no other reason I can think of.

I've been told by the RSPB that the CD's won't affect the wee birds.

Hopefully now that he sees there aren't many birds around he will go away. He must be getting hungry by now!!!! :roll: