PDA

View Full Version : Buses Between Wick & Thurso?

Gizmo
30-Jul-12, 15:16
Which company runs local buses between Wick & Thurso these days? And is there an online timetable I can view?

seadog
30-Jul-12, 15:26
Stagecoach runs the service and you should be able to obtain a timetable if you go onto their website

Gizmo
30-Jul-12, 16:00
Stagecoach runs the service and you should be able to obtain a timetable if you go onto their website

Was hoping it was some other company as the last time I tried to find a Stagecoach timetable (a couple of years ago) it was a nightmare. Thanks for the heads-up though.

charlie
30-Jul-12, 16:14
Was hoping it was some other company as the last time I tried to find a Stagecoach timetable (a couple of years ago) it was a nightmare. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Try this lot Gizmo

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx?serviceid=&locationId=0&from=wick&to=thurso

HTH

Gizmo
30-Jul-12, 20:15
Try this lot Gizmo

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx?serviceid=&locationId=0&from=wick&to=thurso

HTH

Thanks Charlie. A quick question though, in the timetable below, what do the downward facing triangles mean? On the Wick-Halkirk-Thurso route, arriving in Thurso, I need to get off at the Thurso High School stop, but instead of an arrival time, there's a triangle. I also need to get picked up at the same stop for the return journey, but again, there's one of those triangles. If they mean that the bus isn't scheduled to stop there, will the driver stop there on request, or are the Stagecoach drivers prohibited from making unscheduled stops? I need to make sure I can get off/on at that stop before making the journey, as walking down town to catch the bus at Olrig St is not an option.

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_22535_82%2083%20182%20183%20Caithness.pd f

charlie
30-Jul-12, 23:49
Yep it means the bus does not stop there on that service.
It probably also means that it goes a different route, and doesn't even pass that stop, so you couldn't ask the driver nicely anyway.

I am not certain of the bus routing so perhaps somebody local to Thurso can advise better.

Sairheed
31-Jul-12, 07:38
I believe that the arrows mean that the service does not stop at the special stop for Thurso High School but there is a stop just past the College gates (on both sides of road) for the Thurso to Wick via Halkirk services.

Gizmo
31-Jul-12, 10:40
I believe that the arrows mean that the service does not stop at the special stop for Thurso High School but there is a stop just past the College gates (on both sides of road) for the Thurso to Wick via Halkirk services.

Thanks Sairheed, I'd forgotten there is a stop outside the College as well as the High School. Strange it's not listed on the route even though the bus does pass it. Looks like I'll have to ask the driver if he will stop there before I get on the bus in Wick.

billmoseley
31-Jul-12, 18:39
As a driver if i'm passing the spot you want off and it's safe to do so and most drivers will do the same