PDA

View Full Version : Tooway Satellite Broadband

bobbyb
30-Jul-12, 08:46
Is anyone using the tooway broadband up here? I was wondering if its worth having as you dont need a phone line to use this. It can get speeds up to 8Mbps but im not sure if thats true.

equusdriving
30-Jul-12, 09:42
Hi yes I am on Tooway, I had a few teething problems with a faulty router, but other than that I am happy with the speed service etc

Kasper King
30-Jul-12, 10:24
If you have no phone line, how does it work?

buzzard
30-Jul-12, 10:51
We use beyondsl for our internet connection (as we can't get broadband on the phone line where we are), we don't need high speed so we're only paying for the £15 a month package. It's been very good and reliable.

bobbyb
30-Jul-12, 10:59
Thanks for the replies. Equusdriving are you on the tooway 8 package? did you get it installed with a local company?

equusdriving
30-Jul-12, 14:24
Thanks for the replies. Equusdriving are you on the tooway 8 package? did you get it installed with a local company?

Yes the £24.99 a month one, no I just bought the instalation kit and done it myself, its very straight forward to do

RecQuery
31-Jul-12, 10:29
Satellite really might be the way to go - though latency is probably an issue - given how the NextGen broadband project running by HIE is turning out.

Chris-BW
31-Jul-12, 13:18
If you have no phone line, how does it work?

the signal is transmitted and received by the satellite which is why no phone line required. Satellite broadband is ideal for those in very remote locations living far from the telephone exchange where decent speeds are simply not achievable. With the Tooway system you can have up to 18Mbps regardless of your location.

Chris-BW
31-Jul-12, 13:50
if anyone has any further questions about the Tooway system please post them. I work for a company (Bentley Walker) who sell this service and will be very pleased to advise anybody.

RecQuery
31-Jul-12, 14:20
if anyone has any further questions about the Tooway system please post them. I work for a company (Bentley Walker) who sell this service and will be very pleased to advise anybody.

The last time I tried satellite broadband the latency was crap, this was a while back so I'm wondering what it's like now? There obviously has to be some sort of trade-off as the price is reasonable after the initial upfront equipment cost what's the trade-off? is it still latency?