PDA

View Full Version : Midge WAR!

Angel
29-Jul-12, 23:13
We have been really bothered with midges this week end, the worst for a very long time. It has stopped us going out on several occasions... what do you do to combat them?

Angel...

gleeber
29-Jul-12, 23:18
There's not much you can do about midgies apart from going in. Ive had to work in them often enough and sometimes even then they have driven us away. Teeth with wings.

shaz77
29-Jul-12, 23:18
go to shops like hugos in wick and ask for the stuff with deet in it works good and well worth the money just dont spray on nylon or plastic as it will melt it but totally safe on skin and midgies hate the stuff

Dadie
29-Jul-12, 23:20
midgie eater machine!
Clears the midgies in your area after a while!
Marmite ..b vits they hate the smell/taste, skin so soft from avon, deet, antihistamines.,,,,
you can try the lot...
midgies win every time!

ducati
29-Jul-12, 23:25
Midge hood. A bit sweaty but if you have to work outside it is the only thing that I find makes it bearable.

starfish
29-Jul-12, 23:28
midges machines are only good if you sit on top of them i just go in and sulk they only seem to be about on nice days/evenings

gleeber
29-Jul-12, 23:38
Depending on how bad they were I would put up with them for a while and very often the smallest change in the environmet would send them packing. Hoods are good but no use for builders.

Kenn
30-Jul-12, 00:49
Antihistamine and more Antihistamine as I've yet to find any sort of scatter gun that will blast the blighters!

Corrie 3
30-Jul-12, 02:24
Flame thrower...................kills them everytime!!

C3...........;)

pat
30-Jul-12, 06:44
Get a large enough midge eater machine - attracts and collects the female midge, that is the biting one too, midges are also territorial so if you leave the machine running it will gradually clear the area required by the machine but do not expect it to do it over night, takes a while but well worth it.
Had my midge eater for a good few years now and they certainly work, can work in the garden, hang out the washing without any bother, around the house as it is within the clearing distance for the machine but when I go into the field they have a make a feast of me. Amazing how many midges are collected in a year - not as many so far over here this year but now we are starting to get rain it should not be long before they start in their droves.
There is a new stuff out and it works for me when I go up the field or take the dogs along the shore - when I remember to put it on - it is called smidge, aluminium container with green writing.

golach
30-Jul-12, 10:22
Try a sheet of Bounce, see the recommendations forum

Angel
30-Jul-12, 23:17
I was given a spray this afternoon from a friend, it's called SMIDGE, will be trying it out tomorrow... (Pat) it has green writing and comes in an aluminium can, like a body spray...

I also found out that the collection of dead midges in those 'midge catcher machines' makes a good compost...yuk...

Angel...

Dadie
30-Jul-12, 23:59
A midgie eater isnt a short term fix...its a long term wiping the blood suckers out type of fix!
I|t needs to be used longterm.......everyday etc...
The birdies like the suet and crumb and midgie cakes we have blue petered!

pat
31-Jul-12, 07:54
Agree with you Dadie - midge eater is a long term solution and they certainly work.

My machine usually comes out the end of March until about mid November and over the years it has certainly cut the amount of midges we have in the area around the house.
When arrived here it was August and was met by huge black clouds of the beggars around the front of the house, when I went out the back thought I had trouble with my eyes until I realised it was all midge black clouds completely covering the largish area.

Give your old midges from the machine to fishermen a few scattered on the top of the water before fishing attracts some fish or as you say make a suet ball with seeds for the small birds, they both certainly appreciate a few midges!

Angel - yes that sounds like the stuff I now use, hope it was successful for you as it has for me.

Southern-Gal
31-Jul-12, 18:01
Where do you get the midge eaters from? What make/type is best?

sam09
31-Jul-12, 23:37
I have just tried new stuff bought from a well known shopping site. It is called BUG GER OFF it is Deet free and just contains natural products, it is a moisturising creme. Really brilliant lasts up to ten hours and not one bite from the little blood suckers in Fort William.

Dadie
31-Jul-12, 23:47
The midgies in the eater need to be reminded they are dead...so just shaking out the catcher isnt enough...microwave or freeze the baggy to make sure...
or combine in midgie cakes for the birds..recipe is porridge oats, lard/hard fats, any scraps suitable etc bread and heat the fat until it melts and pour into containers till it sets!
tip out on bird table or feeders and watch in glee as midgies are gone!

pat
01-Aug-12, 09:34
Southern Gal
I have a Mosquito Magnet machine, yes that is the make - I bought mine from Macgregors in Inverness.

There is a depot and service base in Stirling, the couple who run it and their workforce are so knowledgeable, would recommend the machines, the after sales service is excellent too - they will talk you through any problems on the phone. I had a problem with ignition, it was me not understanding exactly but now have no problems with the machine, except wish had bought a larger one. Stirling also do reconditioned ones and supply all the bits you require like attractant, tubes for blowing clear, nets etc.

Southern-Gal
01-Aug-12, 16:16
Thank you pat :)
They are selling Smidge in Tesco. I got a tin and tried a little on the back of my hand, it is a cream that you rub in and very like moisturiser, not greasy. I cant see why it works as it is a bit too pleasant to use. Most things that work are usually horrible but will give it a try. Im fine with them except for the back of my neck for some reason they want to eat the nape of my neck.

beetlecrusher
01-Aug-12, 19:53
We manage very well with Jungle Formula. It does stink but worth it not to get bitten.

cuddlepop
01-Aug-12, 20:50
Avon Skin so Soft dry oil body spray in the green bottle its called soft @fresh.

Gives me peace to work in the garden and we're in Skye where the midges have tackety boots.

Southern-Gal
02-Aug-12, 18:52
Found these recommended on facebook today

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=picaridin&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11542247770139553988&sa=X&ei=T7waUO6VKqOn0QXxiYHADQ&ved=0CH4Q8wIwAQ

And Listerine both used as a mouth wash and sprayed on. Apparently they dont like alcohol both on your breath and on your skin.

katarina
03-Aug-12, 20:54
'Skin so soft' from Avon is suppose to be good. I've tried using those special candles but I think that just attracts them!