PDA

View Full Version : any info appreciated

tennents
28-Jul-12, 02:27
Hi i am looking for any information at all, if anyone has seen anyone running over or kicking my 9 week old kitten tonight, We live in Bayview Terrace so may have been around her or near Lidls, i let her out in the afternoon where she came back and was fine, so we let her out just after dinner and she came home between 12.30am and 1am, She is chocolate coloured and has a red collar on, if anyone can help please pm or phone me on 01847890514,

I have a very sore little kitten and a very large vet bil!l

Aberdonian
28-Jul-12, 20:05
Not being funny but your kitten shouldn't be outside at 9 weeks old. So really you can't blame anyone for her injuries other than yourself...

tennents
29-Jul-12, 00:11
This is what everyone keeps saying but i took professional advice on what age my kitten is allowed out and i was told it was fine to let her out! there for i was not harming my kitten by letting her out. and due to this being my first ever kitten at this age i would only have let her out with professional agreement. But with all the info i am getting from everyone else i have decided not to let my kitten out again until she is at least 6 months old! I may even keep her as a house cat! But a far as i am concerned i took professional advice and i was the one in the right for letting my kitten out! So yes i should be blaming the person that has done this to my kitten

Dadie
29-Jul-12, 00:34
you can get a kitten used to a harness and a retractable leash so it cant go beyond the garden.
If you want her to go out rather than be a housecat forever...
and as for those that kicked her I hope karma kicks them in the bum tenfold!
But do not let such a wee thing out and give it a litter tray until it has its bearings...2 weeks at least on house arrest then only out when hungry for a wee while..fed on return etc....

Aberdonian
29-Jul-12, 01:42
Professional advice from whom may I ask? As any 'professional' who says to let your 9 week old kitten out isn't that great as, not only is it a danger to her being out so small, but she could be impregnated when she reaches the age of fertility, even though her body probably couldn't withstand that strain. I'm not saying keep her in until she's 6months but I'd say to keep her in until she is at an age she can be spayed.
Anyway, other than that, Dadie's suggestion of the harness and lead is a great idea for getting her used to the outdoors but in a safe way.

Also, I didn't mean to cause any offence in either of these posts so I apologise if I have done.

tonkatojo
29-Jul-12, 09:46
Not being funny but your kitten shouldn't be outside at 9 weeks old. So really you can't blame anyone for her injuries other than yourself...

You are jesting I hope, if the kitten was kicked by someone on purpose you condone such actions by saying what you said, I despair at your logic.

annemarie482
29-Jul-12, 11:05
run over, kicked?
without seeing what happened, i dont think any of those could be assumed.
the kitten could have just as easily taken a tumble itself, and being so young it's easily done.
i had a kitten who climbed me! and fell from about my hip, resulting in a dislocated foot.
but as the vets said, when they are so young inquisitive and fragile it's easily done.
its also doubtful you will get a witness come forward, if there was one, in fear of having pay the bill.
but surely this cost would be covered by your pet insurance?
as once getting a pet, and registering with the vet, thats the next step you take.

BO-PEEP
29-Jul-12, 11:39
No animal aged 9weeks should be out on his/her own,i don't condone what may or may not have happened to you poor kitten, but it may have jumped from a fence or wall, a dog could have chased it.and if you ask anyone who has kept cats or dogs for a number of years they would not tell you not to let a kitten out on it's own at that age. Ithink you were very lucky it wasn't killed on the road.

Aberdonian
29-Jul-12, 16:11
You are jesting I hope, if the kitten was kicked by someone on purpose you condone such actions by saying what you said, I despair at your logic.

Not at all, considering that area hasn't got the best of reputations as an animal owner you would be extra cautious...

Croftergirl
29-Jul-12, 17:41
I hate to say it but I disagree with everyone sayin a kitten shouldnt be outside at 9 weeks old, we recently had a litter of kittens here who were runnin in and out at 6 weeks old. as long as there is somewhere safe for them to go its ok to let them out.
Kittens are a lot stronger than most people think, they look all fragile and soft but dont forget they really are not that far removed from wild animals.
Tenants Im sorry to hear what has happened to you kitten, and Im also sorry that so many folk have jumped down your throat so quickly.
If you are worried about your kitten give the vets a call and they will be able to advise you as to wether it needs to be seen or treated.
If you want to let the kitten oot, take it in your garden and play with it there. and take it back in with you wen you go in. they can get oot sooo fast.
one of ours took to living in the massive rhubarb patch in our front garden for 2 days, wen it was only 6 weeks old. Its mam was goin oot to feed it, we put oot bowls of water and food, so we knew it was bein fed, but it managed to evade every attempt to get her to come back in. So we left her. She went onto her new home 5 days ago and has settled in there happily. so her 2 days outside did her no harm.
Also dont take to heart what has been said on here, you did the right thing askin for help about your kitten. and you spoke to an obviously sensible person who said a kitten at 9 weeks old is perfectly able to be outside.
most of all enjoy your new experince as a pet owner and enjoy your kitten at this gorgeous stage.

mirandarainbow
29-Jul-12, 21:53
I also think 9 weeks may be a little young to be out on roads without supervision, but what's done is done, and I don't think people should be getting at you for that. Letting her out may have been a mistake, but her getting injured certainly isn't with you to blame. I'm sure you'll be extra careful in the future. As for not knowing, My cat was out before, then we came home to find him with a very sore, bad leg, and he could hardly walk on it! We still don't know what happened to him, which may be the case for you too. Saying that, if this is a case of cruelty, I do hope the culprit is caught asap.

My best to the poor kitten in question! I do hope she recovers well :D x

tennents
29-Jul-12, 22:19
I hate to say it but I disagree with everyone sayin a kitten shouldnt be outside at 9 weeks old, we recently had a litter of kittens here who were runnin in and out at 6 weeks old. as long as there is somewhere safe for them to go its ok to let them out.
Kittens are a lot stronger than most people think, they look all fragile and soft but dont forget they really are not that far removed from wild animals.
Tenants Im sorry to hear what has happened to you kitten, and Im also sorry that so many folk have jumped down your throat so quickly.
If you are worried about your kitten give the vets a call and they will be able to advise you as to wether it needs to be seen or treated.
If you want to let the kitten oot, take it in your garden and play with it there. and take it back in with you wen you go in. they can get oot sooo fast.
one of ours took to living in the massive rhubarb patch in our front garden for 2 days, wen it was only 6 weeks old. Its mam was goin oot to feed it, we put oot bowls of water and food, so we knew it was bein fed, but it managed to evade every attempt to get her to come back in. So we left her. She went onto her new home 5 days ago and has settled in there happily. so her 2 days outside did her no harm.
Also dont take to heart what has been said on here, you did the right thing askin for help about your kitten. and you spoke to an obviously sensible person who said a kitten at 9 weeks old is perfectly able to be outside.
most of all enjoy your new experince as a pet owner and enjoy your kitten at this gorgeous stage.

Hey thanks, yes we took her out in the garden, but i also was looking after my one year old, and at this time my kitten wondered off so i thought she would be ok as she was in garden previous to this herself and did not go anywhere, but unfortunately when she returned later on we noticed her limping took her straight to the vets and thats when we got the bad new.

tennents
29-Jul-12, 22:20
I also think 9 weeks may be a little young to be out on roads without supervision, but what's done is done, and I don't think people should be getting at you for that. Letting her out may have been a mistake, but her getting injured certainly isn't with you to blame. I'm sure you'll be extra careful in the future. As for not knowing, My cat was out before, then we came home to find him with a very sore, bad leg, and he could hardly walk on it! We still don't know what happened to him, which may be the case for you too. Saying that, if this is a case of cruelty, I do hope the culprit is caught asap.

My best to the poor kitten in question! I do hope she recovers well :D x

Thanks she is much better today :)

tennents
29-Jul-12, 22:25
Too all who is saying 9 weeks is too young to go out, i was told after her first injections she would be safe to go out, she had her first injections at 8 weeks, so this is why i let her out! My family was very upset when our baby came back with a broken leg! Do you really think if i knew this was going to happen we would have let her out! Like i said our family was in pieces and my 1 year old was heart broking too! Also i wouldn't have put her out just to get a £300 vet bill!

balto
29-Jul-12, 22:54
totally agree with you there crazy to let such a young cat out, lucky she came back.